Foil-Pack Baked Nachos Recipe
Baked Nachos in foil packs are easy to make and serve with minimal cleanup. These nachos are loaded with Tex-Mex flavored ground beef, melted cheese, and all the best toppings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Why we love this Baked Nachos Recipe
Baking your nachos in foil packs is brilliant because the beef stays really tender, juicy and cheesy, while the edges of the chips crisp up in the oven.
We love using heavy-duty foil for cooking because it is produced using a food-safe coating and quality standards. The non-stick feature makes cleanup really easy, which is especially convenient for a party. If you’ve ever had to pick baked cheese off of a platter or baking sheet, you will appreciate this method.
The Best Meat for Nachos
We used lean ground beef (90/10) for these homemade nachos. You could easily substitute with a very lean 93/7 ground beef on up to an 80/20 ground beef with higher fat content. While we love the flavor of ground beef, these nachos are also great with ground turkey or ground chicken.
The process is the same: Cook the meat until no longer pink, add taco seasoning, add water and cook another 3-5 minutes.
How to Make Nacho Foil Packs:
Start with four sheets of aluminum foil measuring 16″ long.
Pro Tip: With Non-stick foil, make sure the non-stick side (the dull side) always faces up and should be the side touching the food.
- Place a handful of tortilla chips in the center of the sheet, top with a heaping 1/4 cup Mexican cheese then cover with 1/4 of the ground beef mixture followed by another 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Bring up and double-fold the long ends, leaving room for air to circulate. Bring up and double-fold the short ends to close your foil packet.
The Best Toppings for Nachos:
We love setting up a nacho bar where guests can load up their own nachos and customize their foil packet nachos. Some of our favorite toppings include:
- Diced Avocado or Guacamole
- Pico De Gallo
- Diced tomato
- Green onion or chives
- Jalapeno (fresh or canned)
- Black Olives
- Black beans
- Sour Cream
Between the taco seasoning and all of the toppings, these baked nachos have a delicious Tex-Mex flavor profile.
Making restaurant-quality homemade nachos is easier than you think and they are great for parties, Superbowl game day, or just an easy weeknight meal. I hope these easy foil packet nachos become a new favorite for you!
Can I Make Grilled Nachos?
Heavy-duty foil is a great tool for grilling because it is made of a heavier gauge (heavy duty) aluminum foil which is why we love it for Grilled Corn in Foil. You can put foil pack nachos on a preheated grill for a tailgating party and heat on medium until the cheese is melted.
More Superbowl Foods:
- Fish Tacos – with the best fish taco sauce
- Sausage Queso – creamy and made with 100% Real Cheddar
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – this has been a favorite for years
- Cheese Ball – shape it into a football for game day!
- Crockpot Chili – easy and make-ahead
- Homemade Pizza – our best pizza dough
Foil Pack Baked Nachos
For the Nacho Meat:
- 1 lb lean ground beef, (We used 90/10 beef)
- 4 Tbsp taco seasoning, (or 1 packet)
- ½ cup water
- 4 sheets Aluminum Foil, (16" each sheet)
- 8 oz Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, Chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion or chives chopped
- 4 Tbsp sour cream, or to taste
Preheat the oven to 350˚F. In a large skillet on medium heat brown your beef, when there is no pink add 4 Tbsp taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water, and cook for an additional 3-5 min, stirring occasionally.
Tear off four 16" long pieces of Aluminum Foil. Place a handful of tortilla chips in the center of the sheet, top with a heaping 1/4 cup Mexican cheese, then cover with 1/4 of the ground beef mixture followed by another 1/4 cup of cheese. Bring up and double-fold the long ends, leaving room for air to circulate. Bring up and double-fold the short ends to close your foil packet.
Just before serving, place on a baking sheet and bake at 350˚F for 10 minutes. Prep all of your toppings so they are ready to serve over hot nachos. Open the foil packs, add desired toppings and serve immediately.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen