Creamy Potato Salad Recipe
This Creamy Potato Salad recipe has so much flavor and it’s definitely a holiday-worthy side dish. Learn how to make potato salad that is 100 times better than store-bought.
We sure love potatoes around here and we sure get creative! It’s no wonder some of our most popular dishes are potato recipes, like our famous mashed potatoes, cheesy potato pancakes, and these crispy smashed potatoes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Potato Salad Recipe
This Potato Salad is loaded with fresh and crisp cucumber and radishes that make it lighter and supremely satisfying. The creamy dressing has a star ingredient that might surprise you; plain mustard. The flavor is subtle but adding it is GOLD in potato salad.
We love this for the holidays, particularly as a Christmas and Easter salad! Also, my son loved it, giving it two thumbs up (which is a big deal!).
Ingredients for Creamy Potato Salad:
Russet potatoes are our favorite for this salad because they are easy to peel and can be cooked 1-2 days in advanced, covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
The radishes, cucumber and celery and a crisp freshness to this salad that makes it so special for the holidays.
Hard boiled eggs add great protein and texture.
The Best Potato Salad Dressing:
Adding sour cream to the mayo makes it lighter and so creamy. Don’t be afraid of adding mustard. It is not potent in this recipe at all, but makes the salad next-level delicious. You might recognize this potato salad dressing as the same sandwich spread that we developed for our favorite Bakery sandwich.
Cook’s Tip: The Vidalia Chop Wizard makes it quick and easy to uniformly dice boiled potatoes and eggs (Amazon affiliate link).
Make-Ahead Tip: Once this salad is mixed with dressing and salt, it is best enjoyed right away or refrigerated up to 6 hours. You can prep your other ingredients ahead of time and stir in the dressing just before serving.
Garnish with chives and freshly cracked black pepper to pretty it up.
Creamy Potato Salad Recipe
Creamy Potato Salad Ingredients:
- 4-5 russet potatoes, 3 cups cooked and diced
- 1/2 English Cucumber, 1/2 cup diced
- 1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, (1/2 cup) finely diced
- 4 hard boiled eggs, diced
- 3 Tbsp chives or green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- Place un-peeled whole potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, add 1/2 Tbsp of salt and continue cooking at a medium boil for about 25 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Do not overcook - potatoes should not be falling apart when pierced. Remove from water and set aside to cool completely to room temp then peel and dice just before adding to the salad. Potatoes can be cooked 1-2 days in advanced, covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
- Stir together dressing ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine all prepared ingredients in a large mixing bowl: diced potatoes, diced cucumber, sliced radishes, finely diced celery, diced eggs and chopped green onions. Toss gently to combine. Add all of the dressing, or add to taste. Season with more salt and pepper to taste and serve (I added an extra 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper). Garnish with more chives and freshly cracked black pepper to pretty it up.
Nutrition Per Serving
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
Creamy, dreamy and delicious! Everything about this potato salad is good! It’s definitely worth discovering and I hope you love it as much as we do!!
Is there a special side dish that always shows up at your holiday table? I’d love to hear about your holiday traditions in a comment below!