French Toast Casserole
This Easy French Toast Casserole is bursting with so much flavor! This breakfast casserole is loaded with almonds, fresh berries and a cream cheese drizzle – an amazing combination.
You will love the make-ahead option. Just like our overnight cinnamon rolls, this overnight breakfast casserole will become a favorite to serve the family.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Hey, hey! Valentina with Valentina’s Corner sharing an amazing Berry French Toast Casserole.
French Toast Casserole Recipe
This French Toast Casserole is everything you can ask for in a breakfast casserole. It’s not overly sweet, yet hits the sweet spot! Bread chunks in a cinnamon egg mixture, topped with sliced almonds that become crispy once baked, fresh berries that add to the flavor and finished off with a cream cheese drizzle that take the recipe over the top!
Serve the French Toast Casserole on the weekend, for a special occasion like Mother’s Day brunch, Valentine’s Day or the Holidays!
How to Make French Toast Casserole?
- Cut bread into 1” cubes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, and sugar. Add bread and stir to coat.
- Transfer to a baking dish, arranging in an even thickens and pour remaining egg mixture over bread
- Sprinkle on sliced almonds, cover and bake breakfast casserole.
- Meanwhile, prepare cream cheese drizzle: Beat cream cheese then beat in powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk
- Once French Toast Casserole is baked, dust with powdered sugar,
- Add berries and drizzle cream cheese over French Toast Casserole
TIP: If you don’t like almonds, use walnuts or pecans, add them to half of the casserole, or omit nuts.
Do I Have to Use the Cream Cheese Drizzle?
No! You may omit the cream cheese drizzle altogether and serve with traditional maple syrup
How to Make Overnight French Toast Casserole:
- Make recipe according to instructions, minus the baking
- Cover and refrigerate the casserole
- The following day, bake the breakfast casserole
TIP: Since the overnight breakfast casserole will be cold, add 5 minutes to the covered baking time then continue baking per the recipe.
What is the Best Bread for French Toast Casserole?
- Brioche Bread, Challah Bread French Bread or even Italian Bread that can be sliced into about 1” squares will all work great.
- Use bread that’s at least a day old. It will soak the egg mixture better and won’t taste soggy or mushy.
TIP: If your bread is a really large loaf, you may not need the whole loaf.
How to Re-Heat French Toast Casserole:
The casserole is best and most crisp right out of the oven, but it can be reheated. To reheat, bake at 350˚ F for 10 to 15 minutes or until warmed through and the top is re-crisped.
Try these other BREAKFAST recipes:
- Maple Pecan Breakfast Casserole– Tastes like a cinnamon roll casserole
- Sausage Potato Breakfast Casserole– Hearty, satisfying casserole
- Breakfast Potatoes – easy and perfect for company
- Breakfast Casserole with Hash Browns– one-skillet breakfast
- Sour Cream Blueberry Pancakes – incredibly soft and quick to make
For more breakfast ideas, check out our full breakfast recipes index.
French Toast Casserole
For the French Toast Casserole:
For the Cream Cheese Drizzle:
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, ground cinnamon and sugar.
Cut the bread loaf into 1” cubes and add them to the egg mixture. Stir to generously soak the bread then transfer to 9x13 casserole baking dish.
Pour any remaining egg mixture over bread and arrange bread evenly, patting down if needed.
Sprinkle the top with sliced almonds, cover and bake at 350˚F for 20 minutes then uncover and bake another 15-20 minutes, until tops of bread are crispy.
Meanwhile, prepare cream cheese drizzle: beat cream cheese until creamy. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk and beat until thick and drizzling consistency
To serve, top with fresh berries and use a teaspoon to drizzle cream cheese over the French Toast Casserole.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen