Easy Garlic Bread Recipe
Homemade garlic bread tastes like it came out of an Italian restaurant. It has an irresistible garlic butter spread and is topped with parmesan and mozzarella.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Why we Love Garlic Bread in Foil:
Grilling or baking the bread in a Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick foil pack keeps the bread soft and moist and helps prevent burning. The foil pack also contains the mess and you can serve the food right out of the foil just like we did with our Foil Pack Nachos.
We love Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil because it’s sturdy, so you only need a single layer of foil for even cooking. It also makes your prep, serving, and clean up a breeze because the bread and cheese won’t get stuck on the foil.
Garlic Bread Ingredients:
- Bread – use a fresh loaf of French bread or Italian bread. If you’re feeling adventurous, garlic bread tastes incredible with homemade Crusty French Bread.
- Butter – we use softened unsalted butter, but salted butter will work if you omit the salt in the recipe. A good quality butter will make the garlic bread taste even better.
- Seasoning – combining garlic powder and fresh garlic is the secret here making it the ultimate garlic bread. We also love adding freshly chopped parsley for color and flavor.
- Cheese – mixing parmesan and mozzarella cheese made this a Cheesy Garlic Bread.
- Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil – Place the bread on the dull side which has the non-stick properties.
Can I Use Day-Old Bread?
Yes – warming bread on the grill or in the oven is the best way to refresh it. I often buy two big loaves of bread and will freeze one loaf right away then thaw and use it for garlic bread another day. It always tastes like it just came out of the bakery.
How to Make the Best Garlic Butter:
The combination of fresh and dried garlic adds amazing garlic flavor without being overpowering. Make sure to finely mince your fresh garlic with a knife which will keep more of its flavor than using a garlic press.
- Combine softened butter, chopped parsley, minced garlic, garlic powder and salt.
- Mash together with a fork until blended. Easy peasy!
How to Make Grilled Cheesy Garlic Bread:
- Cut bread – slice in half lengthwise with a serrated knife.
- Apply garlic butter – spread evenly over the cut side of your bread.
- Create a foil pack – place the bread, buttered-side-down, onto a large sheet of Reynolds Wrap® Non-Stick Foil. Fold up the sides and seal together then fold the edges to seal.
- Grill – on medium heat (300˚F) with the buttered side 5 min. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add cheese – Carefully open the foil. Using tongs, flip the halves over on the foil and sprinkle the cheese on top. With the foil pack opened, grill another 4-5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Garnish and slice – remove from the grill then garnish with fresh parsley and slice into breadsticks.
Grilling Safety Tip: food inside a foil pack can create steam which will be extremely hot. Use caution and unwrap food with tongs and oven mitts.
Can I Bake the Garlic Bread in the Oven?
You can follow the same process to bake the garlic bread. Bake with the foil pack directly on the rack at 350˚F for 10 minutes. Open the foil pack, flip the bread over, sprinkle the cut side with cheese, and broil 2-3 minutes uncovered until the edges are golden and cheese is melted.
What to Serve with Garlic Bread:
We love serving this bread with soup and saucy dishes for the bread to soak up the sauce. Yum! These recipes pair really well with garlic bread.
- Chicken Fettuccine – Mom’s recipe with a light alfredo sauce
- Creamy Shrimp Pasta – in a rich alfredo sauce
- Chicken Pesto Pasta – this one trick will change the way you make pasta!
- Slow Cooker Chili – family favorite beef chili
This garlic bread tastes like something out of high-end Italian restaurant. It has an irresistible garlic butter spread and is topped with parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- 16 oz Loaf French bread or Italian bread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 garlic cloves, (large) finely minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped, plus more to garnish
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 Reynolds WrapⓇ Non-Stick Foil
In a bowl combine: 1/2 cup softened butter, 1/4 cup parsley, 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of garlic powder and finely minced garlic. Mash together with a fork. In a separate bowl combine the parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
Cut your loaf of French bread in half length wise and spread the butter mixture on the inside of each half. Place bread buttered-side-down on a large sheet of foil and fold over the foil creating a pack and sealing the edges. Place foil pack on the grill buttered side down, cover the grill with the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
Carefully open the foil. Flip the halves over with tongs and sprinkle the cheese mixture on top. Do not close the foil pack. Cover the grill and continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes to melt the cheese. Remove from the grill, slice bread, garnish with parsley and serve warm (*See baking instructions in notes).
*To Bake Garlic Bread: place foil pack directly on the rack at 350˚F covered in foil for 10 minutes then unwrap, flip the bread over, sprinkle cut side with cheese, and broil 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted and edges are golden.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen