Instant Pot Dulce de Leche Recipe
An easy 35-minute Instant Pot Dulce de Leche recipe. This is a 1-ingredient recipe! Sweetened condensed milk is cooked until it becomes a thick and creamy caramel-like indulgence you can use for many dessert recipes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Valentina with Valentina’s Corner here. I am really excited to share this recipe with you because it’s a lifesaver. Dulce de leche (cooked condensed milk) was a must-have in my Mother’s kitchen as we used it for many traditional recipes. We always had (and have) a few cans stored in the refrigerator.
Dulce de leche is great in recipes like the easy and traditional Ukrainian Waffle Cake or drizzled into your morning coffee.
What is dulce de leche?
Dulce de leche is incredible. It is basically sweetened condensed milk heated until it thickens and caramelizes. You could sit and eat with a spoon when a dessert craving kicks in. Admit it, you’re guilty of this.
We used to always prepare it with a slow cooker but that takes considerably more time. If you have an instant pot (pressure cooker), this 35-minute version is going to become your new favorite. You get the same results in a fraction of the time.
How to make dulce de leche in an instant pot?
- Wash pint-sized mason jars, lids, and bands with soapy warm water. Dry the jars. (This keeps the jars from exploding.)
- Pour sweetened condensed milk into mason jars. Secure with lids.
- Place jars on a rack in the instant pot. Pour water into the pressure cooker just below the lids.
- Cook 35-40 minutes on manual high pressure with a quick release of pressure. Cans will be HOT, remove them with a canning jar lifter.
- Cover jars with a kitchen towel and allow to cool. Don’t open the jars until they have completely cooled.
NOTE: When removing the jars, the dulce de leche may seem runny and not fully cooked, no worries. It will thicken more as it fully cools.
How long should I cook the condensed milk?
The cook time will depend on how thick and dark you like the dulce de leche:
- 35-minutes cook time will result in a golden creamy dulce de leche.
- 40-minutes cook time will result in a dark brown rich color and it will be really thick. (This would be the same consistency and color you’d get if you have ever purchased it at the store.)
How to store dulce de leche?
You can store it in the refrigerator in the jars 2-3 weeks.
NOTE: You can fit up to three mason jars into a standard pressure cooker. If you need more than two jars, add another one when cooking.
Try these recipes using dulce de leche-
- King’s Cake – A stunning layered cake
- Russian Cherry Layer Cake- The cherry crumble is so good!
- Poppyseed Roulade- For the poppyseed lover!
- Layered Snickers Cake- Tastes just like the candy bar.
Instant Pot Dulce de Leche
- 2 cans (14 oz each) sweetened condensed milk
- Wash two mason jars, lids and bands with soapy warm water. Dry the jars. (This keeps the jars from exploding.)
- Pour sweetened condensed milk into the mason jars. Secure the jars with lids and bands.
- Place the jars on the rack of your instant pot. Pour water into the pressure cooker just below the lids.
- Cook 35-40 minutes* on manual high pressure with a quick release of pressure. Cans will be HOT, remove them with a canning jar lifter.
- Cover jars with a kitchen towel and allow to cool. (Don’t open the jars until they have completely cooled.)
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
What is your favorite recipe using dulce de leche? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below.