Mom’s Cream Horn (Trubochki) Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Merry Christmas!! Europeans celebrate Christmas January 7th; oh my the party continues! You don’t have to wait for a party to make these puff pastry cream horns. They are easy and super impressive. Mom has a large stash of these molds and we made trubochki together (i.e. she did most of the work while I took pictures).
I purchased 12 of my own Cream Horn Molds from Amazon (I picked the Fox Run brand, but they are all very similar). They don’t take long to bake so 12 would be enough but it’s more efficient with more. 30 would be ideal; make them in 2 batches and be done with ’em.
Ingredients for the Cream Horn (Trubochki):
1 package (2 sheets) Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry, thawed
8 oz tub of cool whip
4 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
How to Make Cream Horns (trubochki):
Preheat the Oven to 400°F
1. Unfold one thawed puff pastry sheet. Keep the second sheet refrigerated. Use a pizza cutter to slice the dough into 30 even strips.
2. Roll each strip out until it is about 2.5 times in length.
3. Wrap the dough around the mold, pushing the dough down to seal it as you go.
4. Place the rolled mold on a baking sheet, with the end side down so it doesn’t unwrap or puff up. Bake at 400° F for 12 min until golden brown.
5. Remove Trubochki from the molds and start the second batch.
6. Once your trubochki (cream horns) are cooled to room temperature, you can pipe in the cream.
Puff pastry cream horns can be made even 3 days ahead; covered and stored in a cool, dry place.
Making the Filling and finishing touches:
1. Beat together 4oz of cream cheese and 3 Tbsp of sugar until well blended (1 minute on medium speed).
2. Mix in 2 Tbsp of lemon juice until well blended. Then fold in 8oz of cool whip until smooth and fluffy.
3. Place filling in a ziploc bag (or pastry bag) and pipe it into each cream horn, making sure to fill the cone. Hold the bag with an oven mitt so the cream won’t warm up in your hand.
4. Generously dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
You could make the filling a hundred different ways. What’s your favorite?
Mom's Cream Horn (Trubochki) Recipe
- 1 package 2 sheets Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry, thawed
- Powdered Sugar
- 8 oz tub of cool whip
- 4 oz cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
Preheat the Oven to 400°F
Unfold one thawed puff pastry sheet. Keep the second sheet refrigerated. Using pizza cutter, slice the sheet in to 30 even strips.
Roll each strip out until it is about 2.5 times in length, than wrap the dough around the mold, pushing the dough down to seal it as you go.
Place the rolled mold on a baking sheet, with the end side down & bake at 400° F for 12 min until golden brown. Might need to bake few batches.
Cool trubochki to room temperature, than pipe in the cream.
For the cream, beat together 4oz cream cheese and 3 Tbsp of sugar for 1 minute on medium speed until well blended. Add 2 Tbsp of lemon juice and mix until blended.
Fold in 8oz of cool whip until smooth and fluffy.
Fill the pastry bag with cream & pipe it in to each cream horn to the top.
Dust with powder sugar and enjoy.