Perfect Grilled Steak (Steakhouse Quality)
How to grill the perfect steak for your next summer cookout. This has a simple 3-ingredient rub with rosemary, salt, and pepper, but it’s all you need to make a flavorful and juicy steak. We used a Ribeye Steak but any thick-cut steak will do.
Thank you to Beef. It’s What’s for Dinner. on behalf of the Beef Checkoff who sponsored this grilled steak recipe. I received compensation, but all opinions are my own.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Why we Love Grilling Steak:
There’s nothing like firing up the grill for a summer cookout to unite and bring people together and beef is our favorite protein for the grill – from steaks to juicy burgers! Grilling is one of the best ways to cook beef. We love the smoky flavor from grilling and this method produces a tender and juicy steak. It’s also really easy to create a steakhouse quality steak at home.
Everything just seems to taste better when it’s grilled. If you are new to grilling, this easy and fun recipe is a great starting point. Make this and you will be known for your grilled steak.
The Best Steaks for Grilling:
Beef is incredibly versatile and it’s easy to swap with a different steak depending on availability, budget, and preference. Any thick-cut (about 1 1/4″ thick) steak will work for this recipe (bone-in or boneless). We love a well-marbled steak for grilling for the juiciest results. These are our favorite steaks for the grill:
- Ribeye Steak – we used a bone-in ribeye here. Ribeye steaks are cut from the whole Rib. Ribeye is considered the “king of the grill.” A lower-cost alternative would be a Chuck Eye Steak.
- T-Bone Steak – a bone-in steak which is actually a combination of New York Strip Steak and Tenderloin Steak. A good alternative for the T-Bone is a Porterhouse Steak.
- New York Steak – also known as a “Strip Steak” or “KC Strip,” this one is well-marbled and juicy. This is also our favorite cut for Pan-Seared Steak.
- Top Sirloin Steak – a versatile favorite that is juicy and tender.
How to Grill the Perfect Steak:
- Season the steak with salt, pepper, and rosemary. Grill right away or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 2 hours. Make your Chimichurri Sauce and refrigerate at the same time.
- Preheat grill to med-high. Place steaks on the grill, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Cook 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare (flipping once), OR until you’ve reached your desired doneness (see steak grilling chart below).
- Remove steaks from the grill and rest for 15 min before slicing. Serve with chimichurri sauce if desired.
How Long to Grill Steak:
Insert an instant-read thermometer into the side of the steak in the thickest part. For an accurate temperature reading, avoid touching the bone or fat. Keep in mind thick steaks will continue to rise in temperature an additional 5 to 10 degrees once off the grill so remove them about 5-10 degrees before they reach their ideal temperature. Follow this steak cooking chart:
- Medium Rare doneness – the final temperature will reach 145˚F. The USDA recommends cooking steaks to a minimum internal temperature of 145˚F.
- Medium doneness – the final temperature will reach 160˚F
Pro Tips for Grilling:
These are our best tips for grilling success so you can be the pitmaster of your own back yard.
- Clean the Grill – keep the grates and inside surfaces clean to prevent flare-ups
- Don’t Flip Steaks too Much – you want the steak to form a good sear so one flip is all you need
- Avoid Overcooking – the temperature will continue to rise once thick steaks are off the grill so take them off earlier. See the chart above for how long to cook steak.
- Rest Steaks – tent the beef with aluminum foil to help the steak rise in temperature and let steaks rest 15 minutes before slicing so they don’t juice out on your plate.
What to Serve with Grilled Steak:
We love topping steaks with a simple homemade Chimichurri sauce which adds an amazing fresh flavor. Steaks pair really well with these sides:
- Caprese Salad – a classic favorite with balsamic glaze
- Boiled Corn on the Cob – our simple trick makes the sweetest corn
- Avocado Corn Salad – bright and feel good salad
- Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad – on the regular rotation in summer
- Mashed Potatoes – our quickest and easiest potatoes
- Caesar Salad – with a light homemade dressing
I hope this becomes your go-to grilled steak recipe and make sure you try that Chimichurri sauce. It is a game-changer!
Perfect Grilled Steak Recipe (Steakhouse Quality)
- Season the steak generously with salt, pepper, and rosemary.
- Preheat grill to med-high. Place steaks on the grill, cover and reduce heat to medium. Grill for about 4-5 min each side for medium rare (flipping only once) or until you've reached your desired doneness on an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove steaks from the grill, tent with foil and rest for 15 min before slicing against the grain. Serve with chimichurri over the sliced steak if desired.
For Medium/Rare: remove steaks when they reach 130˚F to 140˚F (the temperature will continue to rise as it rests to 145˚F for med/rare).
For Medium Doneness: take steaks off the grill at 145˚F to 150˚F (the temperature should reach 160˚F after resting the steak).
Nutrition Per Serving
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen