An easy Vanilla Cake with a soft and moist crumb and great vanilla flavor. We used our popular Buttercream Frosting here but it’s also fantastic with a Chocolate Frosting. This Vanilla cake recipe is the perfect base for a birthday cake or any special occasion.

Vanilla cake slice on a plate

Watch the Easy Vanilla Cake Recipe Video:

This cake really is easy and can even be made ahead. Watch the video tutorial for how to make the perfect vanilla cake and best Buttercream Frosting (which isn’t overly sweet like most American buttercreams).

Why we Love this Vanilla Cake!

Everyone needs a great vanilla cake base and I hope this becomes your new favorite! It’s made from scratch and the combination of ingredients gives it amazing texture and flavor. We used the same base as our famous Vanilla Cupcakes and made this stunning cake. You’ll love the perfectly level cake layers – there’s no need to trim them.

Perfect vanilla cake covered in frosting and topped with sprinkles

How to Make a Vanilla Cake from Scratch:

Here is a quick visual reference for homemade vanilla cake. Get the full print-friendly recipe below.

1. Butter and flour two 9″ cake pans and preheat oven to 350˚F.
  2. Whisk together dry ingredients.
  3. With an electric mixer, beat Butter and Sugar 5 minutes.
  4. Beat in eggs 1 at a time then beat in vanilla.
  5. Add flour mixture in thirds alternating with buttermilk and mixing between each addition.
  6. Divide between 2 cake pans and bake at 350˚F for 28-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes then transfer cakes (we use this cake release tool) to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.

step by step how to make a vanilla cake batter from scratch

How to Frost a Cake:

Frosting a cake is the fun part. Once your cake is fully at room temperature, make your Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. We love the vintage vibe of waves in the frosting like we did with our chocolate cake but you can also crumb coat the cake and pipe the frosting onto the cake.

1. Place the first cake layer on a cake platter.
  2. Spread a generous layer of frosting over the top, going to the edges.
  3. Cover with the second cake layer with the top side down for a perfectly level cake surface.
  4. Coat the top and sides of the cake with remaining frosting and use an offset spatula or spoon to create waves in the cake.

How to assemble and frost a vanilla cake

Add sprinkles if desired. Sprinkles are the easiest way to turn a plain cake into a birthday cake!

Sprinkles and vanilla frosting swirls on cake

Our Best Baking Tips:

• Room temperature ingredients are critical so your batter blends well without separating or becoming grainy.
  • Avoid Substitutions! We always recommend trying the recipe as written before experimenting.
  • Measure Correctly – check out our post on how we measure ingredients for baking.
  • Weigh your pans – we use a digital food scale to make sure the layers are evenly divided.

Ingredients for vanilla cake with flour, butter, eggs, sugar, baking powder, salt and buttermilk

How to Keep Leftover Cake Moist:

If you have sliced your cake and want to refrigerate leftovers for later, cover the cut side of the cake with plastic wrap, placing it directly onto the cake. This will prevent moisture loss and keep your cake from drying out.

Sliced vanilla cake on cake platterf

More Top-Rated Cake Recipes:

These are the best-loved and best-reviewed cakes on our site. These are the ones we make most often.

Vanilla Cake Recipe

Author: Natasha Kravchuk
Vanilla Cake Recipe with cut slice
An easy Vanilla Cake with a soft and moist crumb and great vanilla flavor. This Vanilla cake recipe is the perfect base with Vanilla Buttercream for a birthday cake or any special occasion.
Resting Time: 45 minutes

Servings: 14 slices of cake

• Preheat oven to 350˚F. Butter and flour two 9" cake pans, tapping out excess flour.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set flour mixture aside.
  • In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer (or stand mixer), beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 5 minutes until thick and fluffy, scraping down the bowl as needed.
  • Add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating well with each addition then scrape down the bowl. Add 4 tsp vanilla extract and beat to combine.
  • Reduce mixer to medium speed and add the flour mixture in thirds alternating with the 1 cup of room temperature buttermilk, allowing the flour and buttermilk to incorporate with each addition. Scrape down the bowl as needed and beat until just combined and smooth.
  • Divide batter evenly between 2 prepared cake pans and spread out the batter into the pans smoothing out the tops with a spatula. Bake on the center rack at 350˚F for 28-30 minutes. Rest in pans for 10 minutes then run a knife or thin spatula around the edges to loosen and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before applying Vanilla Frosting.

Nutrition Per Serving

313kcal Calories40g Carbs5g Protein15g Fat9g Saturated Fat84mg Cholesterol122mg Sodium155mg Potassium1g Fiber22g Sugar501IU Vitamin A71mg Calcium1mg Iron
Vanilla Cake Recipe

mg
Course: Dessert
Keyword: vanilla cake
Skill Level: Easy/Medium
Cost to Make: $$
Natasha's Kitchen Cookbook

Welcome to my kitchen! I am Natasha, the creator behind Natasha's Kitchen (established in 2009), and I share family-friendly, authentic recipes. I am a New York Times Best-Selling cookbook author and a trusted video personality in the culinary world. My husband, Vadim, and I run this blog together, ensuring every recipe we share is thoroughly tested and approved. Our mission is to provide you with delicious, reliable recipes you can count on. Thanks for stopping by! I am so happy you are here.

Comments

• Ramya
    October 3, 2020

Can we use parchment paper instead of butter and oil?

October 3, 2020

Hi Ramya, I haven’t tried it with parchment paper to advise. If you experiment I would love to know how you like that.

• Sheron
    October 2, 2020

Your cake looks very delicious. What is the name of the butter you use for the frosting?
    Thanks.

• Amrita
    October 1, 2020

Hi Natasha! Loved your vanilla cake recipe💗It was so moist and had the perfect crumb😋 I halved the recipe and baked it in 2- 6.5inch pans and it turned out great! Love that all your recipes are foolproof 😄

• October 1, 2020

I’m so glad to hear that it turned out perfect! Thanks for the great review.

• Avni Banari
    September 29, 2020

Hey Natasha
    The recipe looks awesome but it calls for eggs! Is there any substitute for the eggs. Plz let me know

September 29, 2020

Hi Avni, to be honest, I haven’t tried that substitution to advise. If you experiment I would love to know how you like that.

• Melissa
    September 24, 2020

I am making this cake and don’t have buttermilk or whole milk. I have 2%. Will this still work?

September 24, 2020

Hi Melissa, I can’t say that this will work with 2% milk. If you have it, plain kefir will also work well instead of buttermilk. You can also make your own buttermilk at a ratio of 1 cup whole milk to 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice. Combine and let it sit 10 minutes to curdle then stir and use. I haven’t tried anything else to advise.

• Nikki
    September 23, 2020

Hi Natasha, I was wondering, can this recipe be used for a sheet cake?

September 24, 2020

Hi Nikki, that should work but I haven’t tested it through to recommend baking times. If you experiment, please let me know how it goes!

• Carissa
        September 24, 2020

Hello I was just wondering would cake flour work the same in this recipe?

September 25, 2020

Hi Carissa, I can’t say this will work with cake flour to advise. With baking being such a science it may not work. If you happen to experiment please let me know how you like that.

• Ashley
    September 23, 2020

I’ve used Natasha’s vanilla cupcake recipe and I fell in love and got excited when they created a vanilla cake recipe from the cupcakes. Best vanilla cake I’ve ever had. So moist and a warm vanilla flavor. Definitely using this recipe forever!!!

September 24, 2020

Yay I love it! Thank you so much for your awesome comments and feedback. We’re so glad that you loved this recipe!

• A
    September 23, 2020

Could I add lemon zest and lemon juice for it to become a lemon cake?

September 24, 2020

Hello A, I haven’t tried that yet to advise. If you do an experiment, please share with us if you liked it!

• Ramya
    September 21, 2020

Can we use this as base cake to make customized design cakes?
    Can we replace this cake with sponge cake?

September 21, 2020

Hi Ramya, I haven’t tried that yet to advise. If you do an experiment, please share with us how it goes.

• Mari M
    September 19, 2020

I know butter gives the cake a good flavor. However, for cholesterol reasons, I will like to substitute the butter with olive oil. Is that possible? Would that change my baking time or the amount of liquids in the recipe?
    Mariana.

September 20, 2020

Hi Mari, I haven’t tested using oil with this specific recipe. If you experiment, please let me know how it goes.

• Donna
    September 19, 2020

Hi i was making your white cake and i forgot and put the buttermilk in at the end will the cake still turn out okay

September 19, 2020

I’m glad that still turned out!

• Jeetal
    September 16, 2020

I would love to make this recipe for my parents. Is it possible to substitute eggs for condensed milk or yogurt? Or any other alternative that you can suggest for eggless vanilla cake.

Loved your Chocolate cake recipe – simply the best!

September 16, 2020

Hi Jeetal, to be honest, I haven’t tried that substitution to advise. If you experiment I would love to know how you like that

• Jeetal
        September 17, 2020

Thank you for getting back to me. If I try, will definitely let you know

Thanks once again.

September 17, 2020

We look forward to your feedback!

• Inna
            September 20, 2020

This might be a “duh” kind of question to bakers out there but i don’t bake, correction, didn’t ever bake, until i found your recipes because the pictures and instruction are really easy to follow. So my question. I’ve made your vanilla cupcakes many times and the cupcake frosting, too. I want to make this cake and was wondering, can I use the cupcake frosting for the inside of the cake as well? We love the cupcakes so much! So just wanted to try making one cake instead of many cupcakes lol.

September 20, 2020

Hi Inna, the cupcake frosting should work fine inside the cake. I hope you love it!

• Cait
    September 10, 2020

Hi Natasha! I made a 3 tiered cake by doubling the recipe the other day and it was absolutely amazing! With your buttercream recipe on top it was absolutely incredible so thank you! I did have a question on how long I could leave the cakes in the fridge before frosting them if they are wrapped well in plastic wrap? A couple days?

September 11, 2020

Hi Cait, I haven’t tried storing these layers individually but I imagine that could work. We have refrigerated if frosted before

• Saira
    September 7, 2020

Can I double.the receipe for the vanilla cake?

September 8, 2020

Hi Saira, yes that will work. Also, if you’re at the recipe just click Jump to recipe and click the number of servings to adjust the ingredients.

• Saira
    September 7, 2020

Can i double this receipe?

September 7, 2020

Hi Saira, I imagine that will work. When you’re at the recipe you can also click Jump to recipe and Click the number of servings to adjust the ingredients. Hope that also helps!

September 7, 2020

Hi Saira, I haven’t tested that myself but I bet that could work! If you experiment please let me know how you like that.

• Madhu
    September 5, 2020

Cake looks yummy and love the video!

I have cake flour that I want to use up. Can I use that in place of the all purpose flour?

September 5, 2020

Hi Madhu, I can’t say this will work with cake flour to advise. With baking being such a science it may not work. If you happen to experiment please let me know how you like that.

• Teresa
    September 5, 2020

Hi!

I don’t have any cake pans currently so I was wondering if I could use a Bundt cake pan instead?

September 5, 2020

Hi Teresa, I haven’t tested this in a bundt cake to advise. If you happen to advise I would love to know how you like that.

• Kath
    September 2, 2020

I made this cake yesterday . It was easy to make but it came out just like your photos but i don’t feel it is as fluffy as you describe. I’ve made more tender layer cakes before. Also today, it’s noticeably less moist. Do you have any tips for storage? I kept it in a cake dome with a heavy lid. Sugar syrup perhaps?

September 3, 2020

Hi Kath, it could be due to overmixing the batter at the end. Also, make sure your leavening is fresh and that ingredients are being measured correctly for baking. I hope that helps! For storage, it may help to cover directly over the surface with plastic wrap and then a cake dome especially if you don’t have frosting on the cake.

• Karen
    September 1, 2020

I made the other recipe for vanilla cupcakes that I’m pretty sure is the same as this one, just converted for cakes. They came out amazing! I was wondering if you know how long I should bake this in 6” cake pans. I’d like to make a 3-tier tall cake. Thank you!

September 1, 2020

Hi Karen, to be honest, I have not tested this as a tiered cake. The recipe itself may fit into 3,6-inch cake pans but without that, I can’t say for sure.

• Kiran
    August 31, 2020

Hi Natasha ,
    i am planning to make this for my daughters bday .. she is turning 8
    problem is i dont have 9 inch pans i have a set of 8inch pans
    what shouldKiran i do to make it work ?
    Thanks

August 31, 2020

Hi Kiran, this may work in an 8″ pan although I have tried it myself, If it has taller sides it may fit. If you experiment, let me know how you liked the recipe.