White Pizza Sauce (Quick & Easy)
This White Pizza Sauce is essentially an easy garlic alfredo. It comes together in about 5 minutes and is our family’s favorite over homemade Pizza Crust! You’ll be surprised how easy it is to make a batch of pizza sauce for your next pizza party and it keeps really well in the fridge.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
The Best White Pizza Sauce!
Growing up, I remember my mother making the best white sauce for pizza and it’s no wonder this is the pizza sauce my kids request the most often. My children’s favorite pizza is a classic cheese pizza and this sauce is perfect because it has so much flavor with the garlic and parmesan that you don’t need anything but a generous layer of mozzarella cheese over it.
P.S. If you prefer a classic tomato sauce, try our homemade Red Sauce for Pizza.
What is White Pizza Sauce Made Of?
This recipe uses simple pantry and refrigerator staples and whipping up a batch couldn’t be easier. It is made of milk, salt, pepper, garlic, and parmesan cheese. The butter and flour serve to thicken the sauce and create a rich alfredo sauce. This recipe makes 1 1/2 cups of white sauce or enough for 4 (10-inch) pizzas.
How to Make White Sauce for Pizza:
All you need is a saucepan and a whisk. This sauce comes together in just 5 minutes or less so have everything measured out and ready before turning on the stove.
- Melt butter in a pan on medium heat. Add flour and whisk 1-2 minutes (do not brown).
- Slowly add milk while whisking and stir until smooth, thick, and bubbly.
- Whisk in salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Add parmesan cheese and whisk 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir until cheese melts.
Which Pizza Toppings are best with White Sauce?
I would say just about any toppings are delicious over a white sauce pizza, but our favorites include:
- Cheese: shredded mozzarella, fresh mozzarella, parmesan
- Meats: chicken, crispy bacon, ham, pancetta, pepperoni
- Vegetables: artichoke, tomatoes, jalapenos, spinach, roasted garlic, banana peppers, black olives, fresh spinach, mushrooms, roasted bell peppers
How to Store Sauce:
To store, let the sauce cool to room temperature then transfer to a Tupperware or mason jar, cover, and refrigerate up to 5 days. The sauce will thicken more as it cools, but will still be creamy enough to easily spread over pizza dough. If you wish to thicken the sauce, you can rewarm slightly in the microwave just until spreadable.
Pro Tip: A cream sauce is best refrigerated and not frozen or separation may occur.
This is so much better than the white sauce in pizza chains and I hope it becomes a new favorite for you. It reminds me of creamy alfredo pasta!
White Pizza Sauce Recipe (Quick & Easy)
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and continue whisking for 1-2 minutes (do not let it brown).
- Slowly add milk, whisking constantly until smooth, thickened, and bubbly.
- Whisk in 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp black pepper, and pressed garlic.
- Add parmesan cheese and whisk another 30 seconds. Remove from heat and continue whisking just until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth then set aside to cool before using for pizza. Do not boil after adding cheese or sauce may curdle. Once cooled, cover and refrigerate up to 5 days.
Nutrition Per Serving
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
More Must-Try Homemade Sauces:
A great sauce can take a dish from zero to hero and it’s no wonder these are some of our top-rated recipes. Once you try these, you won’t want the store-bought version again!
- Avocado Ranch – creamy and great as a dip or dressing
- Shrimp Cocktail Sauce – plus how to make a crowd-pleasing shrimp ring
- Homemade Pesto Sauce – classic and great with pasta
- Balsamic Glaze – you won’t believe how easy it is!
- Jalapeno Ranch – creamy with a spicy kick