Christmas Coconut Balls (VIDEO)
These chocolate coconut balls are an easy, no-bake treat. We love to dress them up as Christmas coconut candies which are the perfect addition to your holiday cookie platter.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
So many of our Christmas memories are made in the kitchen. If you love homemade holiday treats like cut-out Sugar Cookies, our Chocolate Crinkle Cookies or soft Snickerdoodle Cookies, then these Coconut Balls are sure to become a new favorite.
Coconut Balls Video Tutorial:
If you enjoyed this video for Holiday Coconut Balls, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel (P.S. Click the bell icon to get notifications for new videos).
Christmas Coconut Balls Recipe:
The ingredients here are simple and they come together fast. This is our festive holiday version, but you can make them for just about any holiday, changing the colors of the M&M’s (try pink and red for Valentine’s Day!).
The Best Coconut for Coconut Balls:
I highly recommend using desiccated, unsweetened coconut. Desiccated means it is finely ground so the coconut balls will hold together better. They are also dryer than flaked coconut which will work better in this recipe. Do not use coconut flour.
The Best Coconut Oil: Be sure your coconut oil is in solid form (not melted). It will make the coconut balls much easier to form. Using melted coconut oil would also require longer refrigeration.
Get this Scoop: Using a mini ice cream scoop is the easiest way to form and make these coconut balls. We use this scoop for everything from candy to cookies and even meatballs for soup.
These Christmas Coconut Balls are original and darling which makes them the perfect gift idea. It’s the best kind of homemade chocolate candy and they are melt-in-your-mouth good.
More Christmas Desserts:
Festive desserts make the holidays more merry and bright. These are our most popular Christmas desserts. Let me know if any of these grace your holiday table this year.
- Baklava – authentic, irresistible, and freezes well
- Cranberry Bundt Cake – topped with Sugared Cranberries
- Pomegranate Christmas Cake – a show-stopping cake
- Tiramisu Yule Log – this is a feast for the eyes
- Meringue Shell Cookies – laced with meringue
- Acorn Cookies – meringue cookie dipped in chocolate
Christmas Coconut Balls Recipe
For the Coconut Balls:
For the Coating & Topping:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, melted
How To Make Chocolate Coconut Balls:
- Pulse coconut in a food processor or blender until it is the consistency of bread crumbs then transfer to a bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup condensed milk, 5 Tbsp coconut oil, and 1 tsp vanilla. Stir until well combined then fold in 1/2 cup M&M's just until incorporated.
- Use a small cookie scoop to evenly portion balls and place onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roll balls between your hands to smooth the surface of the balls then refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips and 1 Tbsp coconut oil, heating in 15-second increments and stirring each time until chocolate melts (usually 45-60 seconds total in the microwave)
- Dip each ball in melted chocolate, allowing excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl. Transfer coconut balls to the parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate until firm.
To Decorate as Christmas Coconut Balls:
- Melt 1/2 cup white chocolate chips (30-45 seconds total in the microwave), transfer to a ziploc bag, snip off a corner and drizzle each coconut ball with melted white chocolate and top with M&M's right away before white chocolate sets.