Juicy Meatball Recipe (VIDEO)
Our go-to Meatball Recipe! Find out the secret to flavorful and juicy homemade meatballs. These are make-ahead, freezer-friendly, and perfect for meal prep.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Meatball Recipe Video Tutorial:
This recipe is so versatile. The meatballs can be baked or sauteed and they can be served as appetizers or the main course. Try them simmered in a marinara sauce for the best Spaghetti and Meatballs or put them in hoagie rolls for incredible meatball subs. Make some tonight!
The Secret to Juicy Meatballs!
Every element in this recipe builds a flavorful and moist meatball but what makes them truly juicy is adding the bread crumbs. They are tender all the way through. The moist bread crumbs also help these reheat really well. Make these and you will be known for your meatballs.
We use a combination of meats here, mixing ground pork and ground beef with an egg. This combination produces the best taste and a fork-tender meatball. The flavorings are simple and make these an Italian-style meatball with the addition of parmesan cheese, garlic and parsley.
Pro Tips for the Best Meatballs:
Here is our best advice for ensuring the juiciest plump meatballs. Avoid these common pitfalls which can cause meatballs to be tough and dry.
- Do not overmix the meat or it will result in tough meatballs.
- Don’t skip the bread crumbs and water mixture, which adds moisture to make the meatballs juicy.
- Make even-sized meatballs for even cooking (a trigger release ice cream scoop makes it easy).
- Wet your hands – To form perfect meatballs, dip your hands in a bowl of cold water and use wet hands to roll the meatballs.
- Avoid overcooking – Sautee or bake just until they reach 160˚F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Don’t crowd the skillet with meatballs or on the baking sheet which can cause them to steam cook and prevent a good sear from forming.
How to Make Meatballs:
- Moisten Bread: Remove crusts and dice 3 slices of bread. Place in a large bowl and mix with 2/3 cup water. After 5 minutes, mash with a fork.
- Add Remaining Ingredients: Into the same bowl, add ground beef, ground pork, parmesan cheese, 1 egg, minced garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper. Stir the mixture together with your hands. Do not overmix.
- Form Meatballs: Portion onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (2 Tbsp per meatball). With wet hands, roll meatballs into 1 1/2″ diameter balls.
How to Cook Meatballs:
Sauteed Meatballs (Favorite Method): Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp oil. Once the oil is hot, add meatballs to the skillet, placing them in one at a time. Cook in batches if needed to avoid overcrowding, adding more oil as needed. Sautee 6-8 minutes total, turning every 2 min or until all sides are browned and the internal temperature reaches 160˚F. Promptly remove from the pan (to avoid overcooking) and transfer to a serving platter.
Baked Meatballs: Place on a lined baking sheet, about 2″ apart and bake in a preheated oven at 400˚F for 20-23 minutes, or until the centers register 160˚F. If you want a prettier color to your meatballs, broil for the last 2-3 minutes.
How to Freeze Meatballs:
Meatballs are great for make-ahead dinners and meal planning because they can easily be frozen raw or cooked. Place in a single layer, cover loosely with plastic wrap and freeze for a few hours or until solid then transfer to a freezer-safe Ziploc bag and freeze up to 3 months.
Thaw frozen meatballs overnight in the refrigerator before cooking. Cooked meatballs can be thawed or reheated straight from the freezer. You can even warm them in marinara sauce (see more below).
How to Serve Meatballs:
- Meatballs in Marinara Sauce – heat 2 cups marinara sauce in a skillet. Add freshly cooked or frozen meatballs and simmer until heated through. Serve as Spaghetti and Meatballs.
- Meatball Subs – Place 3-4 warm meatballs in marinara sauce in a hoagie roll, top with mozzarella cheese and broil 1-2 minutes just to melt the cheese.
- Meatball Soup – Put uncooked meatballs into any soup that calls for meatballs or in this Sausage Kale Soup.
- BBQ Meatballs – Roll cooked meatballs in warm barbeque sauce and serve on a platter with toothpicks as an appetizer.
- In Gravy – put meatballs into your favorite Gravy and serve over creamy Mashed Potatoes.
Our Best Meatball Recipes:
We love a good meatball recipe, actually, we love several! These are our top-rated recipes that are easy to make and easy to serve. You’re sure to find a new favorite.
- Swedish Meatballs – in a rich, creamy sauce
- Teriyaki Meatballs – we love these saucy meatballs over steamy white rice.
- Spaghetti and Meatballs – with a homemade marinara sauce
- Mom’s Meatball Soup – a favorite in our family for years
- Chicken Meatballs – in a cream sauce and perfect over noodles or potatoes
Juicy Meatball Recipe
These Flavorful and juicy homemade meatballs are make-ahead and freezer friendly so they're perfect for meal prep. The meatballs can be baked or sauteed and served as appetizers or the main course.
Ingredients for Juicy Meatballs:
How to Make Meatballs:
Combine diced bread in a large bowl with 2/3 cup water. Set aside 5 minutes then mash with a fork. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
Into the bowl of mashed bread crumbs, add ground beef, ground pork, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, 1 egg, 3 minced garlic cloves, 2 Tbsp parsley, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Use your hands to stir the mixture together just until well combined. Do not overmix.
Portion onto a lined baking sheet (about 2 Tbsp per meatball - an ice cream scoop makes it easy). With wet hands, roll meatballs into 1 1/2" diameter balls.
How to Cook Meatballs:
To Sautee: Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp oil. Once the oil is hot, add meatballs to the skillet, placing them in one at a time and cook in batches to get a good sear. Sautee turning every 2 minutes (total 6-8 minutes), or until evenly browned and the internal temperature reaches 160˚F on an instant-read thermometer. Serve as is or in any recipe that calls for meatballs.
To Bake Meatballs: Place on a lined baking sheet 2" apart and bake in a fully preheated oven at 400˚F for 20-23 minutes, or until fully cooked and the centers reach 160˚F. If you want a prettier color to your meatballs, broil for the last 2-3 minutes.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen