Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce (VIDEO)
Homemade Marinara Sauce doesn’t get any easier! This requires just a handful of ingredients and 20 minutes on the stove for a memorable Italian Marinara. Everyone needs a great pasta sauce in their recipe collection and this one is a keeper.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
What is Marinara Sauce?
Mariana is the same thing as a pasta sauce or spaghetti sauce. It is a tomato-based sauce made with tomatoes, onions, garlic, and herbs. It originated in Italy and is used in many Italian-American dishes like Chicken Parmesan or Spaghetti and Meatballs.
Ingredients for Marinara Sauce:
The ingredients are pantry staples that we always keep on hand so it’s easy to whip up. Since the ingredient list is very short, make sure to source the best quality ingredients you can find.
We used extra virgin olive oil for extra flavor and “San Marzano Crushed Tomatoes.” San Marzano is an Italian variety of plum tomato and the gold standard of Italian Marinara.
Can I Substitute Fresh Tomatoes?
Fresh tomatoes would essentially have to be turned into crushed tomatoes with the added steps of blanching and peeling the tomatoes then simmering them down to the correct consistency which will really increase the time for making homemade marinara.
If you’re looking for a marinara sauce with fresh tomatoes, make sure to check out our Mushroom Mariana Sauce.
How to Make Marinara Sauce:
A saucepan and spatula are all you need to make a homemade marinara sauce that tastes better than any canned version. Watch the Video Tutorial below and you will memorize this recipe in no time.
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add diced onion and saute until soft (5 minutes), then stir in garlic for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add crushed tomatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper. Simmer partially covered for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chopped fresh basil and remove from heat.
Watch the Marinara Sauce Video Tutorial:
I hope this Marinara recipe becomes a new favorite go-to recipe for you. P.S. If this video doesn’t load right away, give it a few seconds. You’ll see a faded horizontal image of pasta sauce then click the play button in the center. To view the video, make sure to temporarily pause your ad blockers on your browser.
Our Favorite Ways to Use Pasta Sauce:
This recipe is so versatile. Use it for any recipe that calls for Marinara Sauce.
- Stuffed Chicken Parmesan – You’ll love what we put inside
- Lasagna – Homemade marinara makes the absolute best lasagna
- Juicy Meatball Recipe – meatballs smothered in marinara are perfect for meatball subs
- Spaghetti Meat Sauce – Add ground beef to this homemade marinara for an easy dinner
- Lasagna Roll-Ups – you’ll love the simplicity of making and serving these
Homemade Marinara Sauce
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add 1/2 cup chopped onion stirring often until soft and golden (about 5 min). Add minced garlic and stir 1 min, or until fragrant.
- Stir in 28 oz crushed tomatoes, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Bring to a light boil then reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 15 minutes.
- Finally, stir in 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil then turn off the heat.
Nutrition Per Serving
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen