The Best Lasagna Soup Recipe
Lasagna soup is one of my favorite ways to satisfy the craving for Lasagna with very little effort. All of your favorite lasagna ingredients are nestled in a rich, tomato-based broth and topped with creamy ricotta cheese and basil.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
What is Lasagna Soup?
Lasagna soup has all of the elements of a classic lasagna but instead of a thick tomato sauce, it all comes together in a rich and flavorful tomato broth where all of the flavors meld beautifully. The soup is served with a generous mound of creamy ricotta cheese that melts into your spoonful. Lasagna is so satisfying as a soup. All you need is some Focaccia Bread to go with it.
Ingredients for Lasagna Soup
- Lasagna noodles – use just about any brand or style you prefer and break the noodles into roughly bite-size pieces
- Oil – use a mild oil such as olive oil or avocado oil
- Onion – a white or yellow onion works best
- Hot or sweet Italian sausage – Any style of Italian sausage will work great – go as hot or sweet as you like
- Garlic – fresh garlic adds more flavor than garlic powder
- Dried oregano – dried herbs work great in this soup
- Tomato paste – deepens the flavor of the broth
- Low-sodium broth – homemade chicken broth is best but storebought also works.
- Crushed tomatoes – Use classic or fire-roasted if you like a little smokiness
- Fresh basil – brightens up the soup and elevates the flavor.
- Parmesan cheese – builds a rich and creamy base
- Half & half – balances the acidity of the soup
- Ricotta cheese – serve with a hefty spoonful of full-fat ricotta
How to Make Lasagna Soup
- Boil the Noodles – Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook the broken up noodles until aldente or firm to the bite then toss them with oil.
- Cook & Season the Sausage – In a heavy pot or dutch oven, cook sausage. Add onion and cook it until translucent. Add pressed garlic and dried oregano.
- Make the Soup Base – Add in the tomato paste and stir until well distributed. Next, pour in the broth and canned tomatoes and simmer 15 minutes.
- Finish Building the Soup – Turn the heat to low. Add in the noodles, half and half, parmesan, and basil. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Garnish & Serve – Ladle into warm bowls and top with a dollop of ricotta cheese and fresh basil.
Tips for the Best Lasagna Soup
- Keep the heat over medium – allow the flavors of the soup to come together gradually by keeping the heat at medium to medium-low.
- Don’t cook the pasta all the way – drain it with 2-3 minutes left of cooking time, as it will finish cooking when you add it back to the soup pot.
- Make the soup in a Dutch oven – it retains moisture and maintains even heat.
- Use your favorite type of protein. Italian sausage can be made with ground beef, ground turkey, or ground pork. Use your favorite.
- Swap out the ricotta for your favorite cheese. If you’re not a fan of ricotta, garnish the soup with shredded mozzarella or parmesan instead.
To make Instant Pot lasagna soup, put all the ingredients into a 6 Qt instant pot, pushing the noodles down just so they are submerged. Seal the lid, and cook on manual high pressure for 6 minutes followed by a quick release of pressure.
You can also use your Slow Cooker to make this soup. Add all the ingredients except the noodles into the pot, turn the heat on high, and cook for 3-4 hours. With 30 minutes of cooking time left, add in the raw broken noodles.
It’s not recommended to store this soup in the freezer or the noodles will get mushy. Instead, see make-ahead tips below.
It’s best to cook the noodles separately since they absorb some of the liquid and add some starch to the soup, thickening it up. You can cook it in the soup pot, but be sure to add an extra cup of broth.
- Prep-Ahead: Whether you’re meal-prepping or cooking the soup a day in advance for guests, prepare everything except the noodles and refrigerate the soup in a large airtight container. Right before you plan on serving, boil the lasagna noodles and add them to the soup. This will prevent the noodles from absorbing all the broth in storage.
- Reheat: The best way to reheat this soup is over medium heat in a large saucepan or pot until warmed through. It tends to pop in the microwave, so beware!
More Tasty Soup Recipes
- Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Easy Vegetable Soup Recipe
- Wonton Soup Recipe
- Minestrone Soup
The Best Lasagna Soup Recipe
Lasagna Soup is the easiest way to satisfy lasagna cravings. All of your favorite lasagna ingredients are nestled in a rich tomato broth and topped with ricotta cheese and fresh basil.
- 6 oz lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 tbsp oil, avocado or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb hot or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 32 oz low-sodium broth, (chicken or beef)
- 15 oz canned crushed tomatoes, with their juice
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup half & half
- Ricotta cheese, for serving
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook them for 2 minutes less than advised by the package instructions. Drain the noodles, drizzle them with oil, and set them aside.
Place a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add the sausage, and sautee until cooked through, breaking it up into small pieces with a spatula. Add the onion and cook until it’s translucent. Stir in pressed garlic and oregano and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
Add tomato paste, broth, and canned tomatoes. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Keeping the heat at a simmer, add in noodles, half and half, parmesan, and basil. Simmer for a few more minutes and season to taste.
Serve right away with a spoonful of ricotta cheese and a sprinkle of fresh basil.