Lemonade is so refreshing and timeless. You won’t believe how easy it is to make with just 2 ingredients! Once you try homemade lemonade, it will spoil you forever.
If you have a bunch of lemons, this is our favorite way to use fresh lemon juice and each glass has a healthy dose of Vitamin C. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can use this lemonade base to make Strawberry Lemonade.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Even though this has just 2 ingredients (lemons and sugar), the right method is important. If you just stir the sugar into cold water, it will sink to the bottom and won’t dissolve.
This Lemonade is the perfect balance of sweet and tangy. We’re sharing our favorite proportions of sugar to lemon juice but you can add more sugar or more lemon juice to taste.
How to Store Fresh Lemonade:
Since ice cubes can dilute lemonade, it is best to store in the refrigerator without ice. Add ice when serving to enjoy ice cold lemonade.
Pro Tip: Add lemon juice ice cubes along with regular ice cubes and the lemonade won’t get diluted.
Is Lemonade Healthy?
Lemonade is still a sweet drink but it’s certainly healthier than concentrate and often less sweet than what you might order at a restaurant. You can add less of the sugar syrup to cut down on calories and carbs.
The benefits of drinking homemade lemonade are (1) staying hydrated and (2) it’s high in Vitamin C as each glass has about the equivalent of 1 juiced lemon. Read the nutrition label below to get a full calorie count per serving.
How to Make Lemonade:
- Simmer 1 cup water and 1 1/2 cups sugar to dissolve the sugar. Cool to room temperature and chill.
- Squeeze 1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice and refrigerate.
- To serve: combine 7 cups cold water, chilled sugar syrup and chilled lemon juice. Serve over glasses filled with ice and garnish with lemon slices.
Refreshing Summer Drinks:
As temperatures climb, stay hydrated and keep cool with these crisp, bubbly and flavorful summer drink recipes.
- Cherry Lemonade – incredibly fizzy
- Sparkling Raspberry Lemonade – crisp and satisfying
- Cranberry Pineapple Punch – a crowd pleaser
- Brazilian Lemonade – exotic and so fun!
- Raspberry Sherbet Party Punch – such a treat
Homemade lemonade will never go out of style. It’s a real treat in summer. Next step? Stock up on on lemons and satisfy that craving.
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water (cold), plus 7 cups to serve
- 1 1/2 cups Lemon Juice (from 8 medium or 6 large lemons)
In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup water with 1 1/2 cups sugar. Place over medium heat and bring just to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and let the syrup cool to room temperature. Transfer to a mason jar, cover and refrigerate until ready serving.
Squeeze 1 1/2 cups lemon juice. Transfer to a mason jar and refrigerate up to 2 weeks until ready to make lemonade.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen