Homemade Marinara Sauce doesn’t get any easier! This requires just a handful of ingredients and 20 minutes on the stove for a memorable Italian Marinara. Everyone needs a great pasta sauce in their recipe collection and this one is a keeper.

Homemade marinara sauce in saucepan

What is Marinara Sauce?

Mariana is the same thing as a pasta sauce or spaghetti sauce. It is a tomato-based sauce made with tomatoes, onions, garlic, and herbs. It originated in Italy and is used in many Italian-American dishes like Chicken Parmesan or Spaghetti and Meatballs.

Ingredients for Marinara Sauce:

The ingredients are pantry staples that we always keep on hand so it’s easy to whip up. Since the ingredient list is very short, make sure to source the best quality ingredients you can find.

We used extra virgin olive oil for extra flavor and “San Marzano Crushed Tomatoes.” San Marzano is an Italian variety of plum tomato and the gold standard of Italian Marinara.

Ingredients for marinara sauce recipe with crushed tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, oregano and olive oil

Can I Substitute Fresh Tomatoes?

Fresh tomatoes would essentially have to be turned into crushed tomatoes with the added steps of blanching and peeling the tomatoes then simmering them down to the correct consistency which will really increase the time for making homemade marinara.

If you’re looking for a marinara sauce with fresh tomatoes, make sure to check out our Mushroom Mariana Sauce.

Italian Marinara Sauce in pan garnished with fresh basil

How to Make Marinara Sauce:

A saucepan and spatula are all you need to make a homemade marinara sauce that tastes better than any canned version. Watch the Video Tutorial below and you will memorize this recipe in no time.

1. Place a medium saucepan over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Add diced onion and saute until soft (5 minutes), then stir in garlic for 1 minute until fragrant.
  2. Add crushed tomatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper. Simmer partially covered for 15 minutes.
  3. Stir in chopped fresh basil and remove from heat.

Step by step tutorial how to make homemade pasta sauce

Watch the Marinara Sauce Video Tutorial:

I hope this Marinara recipe becomes a new favorite go-to recipe for you. P.S. If this video doesn’t load right away, give it a few seconds. You’ll see a faded horizontal image of pasta sauce then click the play button in the center. To view the video, make sure to temporarily pause your ad blockers on your browser.

Our Favorite Ways to Use Pasta Sauce:

This recipe is so versatile. Use it for any recipe that calls for Marinara Sauce.

Natasha's Kitchen Cookbook

Homemade Marinara Sauce

5 from 642 votes
Author: Natasha of NatashasKitchen.com
Homemade Marinara Sauce doesn't get any easier! This requires just a handful of ingredients and 20 minutes on the stove for a memorable Italian Marinara.
Total Time: 25 minutes

Servings: 3 cups of marinara sauce

• Place a medium saucepan over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add 1/2 cup chopped onion stirring often until soft and golden (about 5 min). Add minced garlic and stir 1 min, or until fragrant.
  • Stir in 28 oz crushed tomatoes, 1/2 tsp oregano,  1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Bring to a light boil then reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 15 minutes.
  • Finally, stir in 1 Tbsp chopped fresh basil then turn off the heat.

Nutrition Per Serving

180kcal Calories22g Carbs5g Protein10g Fat1g Saturated Fat738mg Sodium814mg Potassium5g Fiber12g Sugar604IU Vitamin A27mg Vitamin C105mg Calcium4mg Iron
Homemade Marinara Sauce

Iron

mg
Course: Sauce
Cuisine: Italian
Keyword: marinara sauce
Cost to Make: $

Comments

• Philip Sultana
    September 9, 2023

Excellent recipe.
    Super easy and very customizable depending on your likes and dislikes regarding additional spices.

September 9, 2023

You’re welcome, Philip!

• Debra Fessler
      October 26, 2023

Natasha, I don’t think your page here is the same as what we are seeing. I have looked EVERYWHERE for the video, including under the headline of Ingredients and there is absolutely no mention of the video! The only thing under ingredients is the link to purchase the San Merzano tomatoes from Amazon. I’m going to be making this recipe Saturday and would really love to see how you make it before I start! Any other place that I could find that particular recipe video?

October 26, 2023

Hi Debra, to view the video, make sure to temporarily pause your ad blockers on your browser.

• Kelly Smith
    September 3, 2023

Easy, delicious, & awesome! Thank-you for the perfect recipe!

September 3, 2023

Thanks so much, Kelly. Glad that you love it!

• Kayla
    August 25, 2023

Hey Natasha I have Minced garlic in extra virgin olive oil in my cupboard is it possible to use that instead? If so about how much would be best to use?

August 25, 2023

Hi Kayla. I think that could work, but I’m not sure how much garlic flavor it would add, or if it would be enough.

• Blue
    August 20, 2023

I was wondering if you can substitute dry basil and parsley instead of fresh?

August 20, 2023

Yes, you can. You can add it to your preferred taste.

• Diane
    August 18, 2023

I had frozen meatballs & needed to use them up. So I decided to look up a homemade marinara sauce & found yours. I liked the simplicity of the recipe. So I made meatball sub. My husband & I decided that your sauce is a keeper. I see meatballs & your sauce in a crockpot for an appetizer for future parties in the coming season

August 18, 2023

I’m so glad you found this recipe. Thank you for sharing.

• Michael Zamonas
    August 7, 2023

Made it last night as a sauce for homemade French bread pizza.
    Love it!! This will be my go to recipe for a red sauce.
    Thank you Natasha!

August 7, 2023

Hi Michael! I’m so glad you loved it. Thank you for the feedback.

• Terri
    August 4, 2023

Could I use fresh tomatoes instead of the canned ones. Thinking I might need to add add some tomato paste to thicken it a bit?

August 4, 2023

Hi Terri! See my note above, “Can I Use Fresh Tomatoes.”

• Terri
        August 5, 2023

Thanks, I hit “jump to recipe” and totally missed your note.

• Ginny
    June 28, 2023

Marinara sauce is fabulous and so easy. I used a potato masher to crush the San Marzano tomatoes. Served on spahetti squash and topped with freshly grated Parmesan. Fresher and richer than the best store bought. Thank you!

June 28, 2023

Yum! That sounds lovely, Ginny!

• Andrew
    June 25, 2023

It’s been a while since I left a review, but that’s because I’ve been so busy making your recipes day after day! Quite honestly, I have made so many of your recipes that I have forgotten which recipes I have already reviewed.

As far as your recipe for marinara sauce, it’s used in every pasta recipe I make that calls for marinara sauce. I have tried tweaking the recipe here and there to experiment, but I always fall back to the original recipe because it works so well when incorporated into other recipes of yours that call for it.

This summer, I planted four pots of fresh, organic basil to use for your recipes alone. Included are three additional pots of thyme. I will try using some fresh thyme in addition to, or in lieu of oregano in this recipe and see how it tastes. As my thyme plants are looking mighty bushy, it’s “thyme” to use some of it.

I hope summer is off to a great start for your and your family!

June 26, 2023

Hi Andrew! Thank you so much for sharing that with me. I’m so glad you are enjoying the recipes! We love this marinara sauce and use it very often too. I hope you are having a great summer!

• Kaitlynn
    June 9, 2023

Do you think think this would be fine to make in the crockpot? I typically do stuffed meatballs in the crockpot.

June 9, 2023

Hi Kaitlynn! I have not tested this in a crockpot but feel free to experiment with it. Let us know how it turns out if you try.

• DJ
    June 4, 2023

Would it be okay to use dried basil or parsley? I am still learning about spices, so I’m sorry if that’s a dumb question.

June 4, 2023

Hi DJ! Yes, you can use dry herbs. Because dried herbs are often more potent and concentrated than fresh herbs, you’ll need to use less. The recommended ratio ends up being 1 teaspoon of dried herbs for ever tablespoon of fresh herbs. I hope that helps.

• Kevin
    May 11, 2023

Absolutely love this marinara recipe… simple, delicious. Really excellent

May 11, 2023

Glad you love this!

• Sandra Tohara
    May 2, 2023

Hi, can I freeze the marinara sauce? If so should I hold off on adding the basil until I defrost and reheat?

Sandra

May 2, 2023

Hi Sandra! Yes, you can freeze it once it’s done. To Store Homemade Marinara Sauce: transfer to a sealed jar or Tupperware container and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

• Andrew
      June 25, 2023

Sandra,

I use a chamber vacuum sealer to freeze all my foods, especially marinara sauce or anything liquid such as soup. As of last count, I have eight 3-cup servings of marinara sauce in my freezer. When I want to use marinara sauce in a recipe of Natasha’s, I place the bag into a pot of hot water to thaw for ten minutes and it’s ready to use! Likewise, I use the same chamber vacuum sealer for every recipe from Natasha’s Kitchen.

• Patricia Cardinale
    April 28, 2023

Can this recipe be canned? And if so what are the modifications if any?

April 28, 2023

Hi Patricia! I have not tried canning this to advise.

• Steve and Deb Williams
    April 18, 2023

Quick, simple and delicious! Perfect for a busy family weeknight or to make a weekend dinner extra special. Thank you for sharing!

April 18, 2023

You’re welcome! I’m so happy you enjoyed it, Steve and Deb!

• Recipe for homemade pasta
    April 7, 2023

Recipe for homemade pasta to make . My neighbor was Italian growing up and I watched her make her own pasta and how she laid it out to dry it I never did get the recipe from her never thought I would want it I would like to know how to do it myself

April 7, 2023

Thank you for the recipe suggestion. 🙂

• Lisa
    March 28, 2023

This recipe has the exact same ingredients as Raos marinara sauce. I’m going to make it and hope it tastes just like Raos.

March 28, 2023

I hope you love the recipe, Lisa! 🙂

• Cecelia Peterson
    March 28, 2023

Good morning. I am trying to find recipes that I can sneak vegetables in for my 5 year old granddaughter. Could I add a pureed carrot to this?

March 28, 2023

Hi Cecelia! I think that could work. Let us know if you experiment with it.

• Dianna
    March 17, 2023

Nowhere does it say how much spaghetti this will cover….would it be one regular 16 oz. package?

March 17, 2023

Hi Dianna, it depends on how much sauce you like for your spaghetti. This makes 3 cups of spaghetti sauce which will generously coat 1 lb or 16 oz of pasta.

• Kathleen Pecora
    March 17, 2023

I have a terrible sensitivity to onions. Is there something you would recommend instead? I usually just use lots of garlic!

March 17, 2023

Hi Kathleen! You can use some extra garlic if you’d like for additional flavor.