Mexican Chicken Casserole (VIDEO)
Mexican Chicken Casserole smothered in a simple sour cream, green chili and cheese sauce. The bubbly cheese sauce seals in the chicken juices so it bakes up tender, juicy and flavorful. Everyone needs an easy chicken bake for unexpected company. You won’t believe the easy sauce!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
We love easy Mexican chicken recipes. They are a fun way to explore new flavor combinations and change up your dinner routine. The green chilis give this really great flavor without being spicy. This Mexican Chicken Casserole is also a really easy party dish. The kids loved it because it was creamy, cheesy and the green chilis were very mild.
One of our readers, Judy, wrote in and shared this recipe with us and it was an instant hit. Thank you Judy! We really can’t get enough of this 3-ingredient sauce:
Tips for Making Mexican Chicken Casserole:
Even though this is a crazy easy recipe, here are some pitfalls to avoid (because I know it’s super tempting to improvise with an easy recipe):
- Don’t overload the chicken in the casserole dish. Increase everything proportionally and use a larger baking dish if scaling up the recipe.
- Arrange Chicken in a single layer in the casserole dish – you want the sauce to cover each piece of chicken.
- Don’t over-bake or the chicken will get dry. Remember the chicken is already cooked through.
- Use green chilis with their juice – do not drain.
The avocado, tomato, cilantro garnish is optional but highly necessary. You can also serve this with fresh Pico de Gallo. We love this Mexican Chicken Casserole served over white rice.
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes:
- Avocado Corn Salad – so fresh and healthy for summer
- Mango Shrimp Salsa – this always disappears fast!
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili – so easy with tender chicken
- Beef Tacos – with the easiest ground beef meat sauce
- Hot Shrimp Dip – loaded with shrimp and artichokes
Watch Natasha Make Mexican Chicken:
I hope you love this easy peasy chicken bake! Let me know what are YOUR favorite Mexican foods in a comment below.
P.S. Have you subscribed to our Youtube Channel yet? Once you do, click the bell icon to be notified when we post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing!
Mexican Chicken Casserole
Mexican Chicken Casserole:
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, (4 small or 3 medium)
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 8 oz shredded Mexican cheese, divided
- 1 cup sour cream, (full fat)
- 14 oz diced green chilis (two 7 oz can with their juice
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400˚F and butter a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Cut chicken breasts in half lengthwise and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp oil. Once oil is hot, add chicken in a single layer and cook about 3 minutes per side or until golden and just cooked through with an internal temperature of 165˚F. Cook chicken in 2 batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan and add more oil as needed.
- Arrange sautéed chicken in buttered casserole dish so they are flat and not overlapping too much.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 2/3 of your Mexican cheese, 1 cup sour cream and 2 cans of green chilis with their juice. Pour over chicken. Sprinkle the top with 1/3 remaining cheese and bake uncovered at 400˚F for 15 min or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling at the edges.
- Serve garnished with diced avocado, tomatoes and chopped cilantro.
Nutrition Per Serving
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen