Home > Dessert > Cupcakes and Muffins > Perfect Vanilla Cupcake Recipe (VIDEO)

Perfect Vanilla Cupcake Recipe (VIDEO)

Everyone loves cupcakes! This is the only vanilla cupcake recipe you will need. They are super easy to make and the texture is light, fluffy, and melt-in-your-mouth good.

Watch the video tutorial below and you will be a pro in no time. We love these with our Cupcake Frosting because a cupcake isn’t a cupcake without frosting.

Vanilla cupcakes with frosting and sprinkles

Watch Vanilla Cupcakes Video Tutorial!

These cupcakes are perfect for birthday parties and baby showers and they always disappear fast which is why I always make a double batch for gatherings. They are quick and easy to make and homemade cupcakes taste way better than boxed cupcake mix.

Ingredients for Vanilla Cupcakes:

This recipe makes exactly 12 cupcakes and requires simple ingredients: all-purpose flour, butter, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, baking powder, salt and vanilla. The combination of softened butter and buttermilk creates an amazingly soft cupcake crumb that just melts in your mouth. Also, if you haven’t tried our (2-ingredient) Homemade Vanilla Extract, it will take your baked goods to the next level.

Ingredients for vanilla cupcakes with flour, sugar, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, butter and salt

How to Make Vanilla Cupcakes:

These cupcakes are easy to master and you will be making bakery-quality cupcakes in no time.

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt.
  2. In a second bowl (or bowl of your stand mixer), beat together softened butter and sugar on medium-high speed 5 minutes until thick and fluffy.
  3. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, mixing to incorporate with each egg then blend in vanilla and scrape down the bowl.
  4. Reduce mixer to medium speed and add the flour in thirds, alternating with adding the 1/2 cup buttermilk and beating well between additions.
  5. Pour batter into 12 lined muffin tins, filling 2/3 full. Bake in the center of the oven at 350˚F for 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool 5 minutes in the pan then remove cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.

Step by step how to make batter for vanilla cupcakes

Tips for the BEST Cupcakes:

• Room Temperature Ingredients – eggs, buttermilk and butter must be at room temperature to keep your batter an even consistency.
  • Alternate Adding Flour and Buttermilk – this keeps the mixture uniform and well blended. If you add in all of the flour or buttermilk at once, it can saturate the creamed butter and cause the mixture to separate. Mix well between each addition.
  • Measure Correctly – be sure to use the proper measuring cups for wet and dry ingredients. Watch our video on measuring ingredients to ensure great results every time.
  • Don’t Overfill – Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full or they will overflow and cause a muffin top. If you divide evenly between 12 cupcakes, you should have exactly enough batter. A trigger release Ice Cream Scoop makes portioning easier.

How to divide batter into cupcake tin for even rising cupcakes

How to Decorate Cupcakes:

Once your cupcakes are cooled to room temperature, it’s time to decorate. This is a great vanilla cupcake base for just about any kind of frosting and toppings. We pipe frosting on with a pastry bag and our favorite Wilton 1M Tip. We have so many frosting options so pick your craving:

Cupcakes decorated with vanilla frosting and sprinkles

Common Questions:

Can I Make Cupcakes Ahead? Once cupcakes are at room temperature, cover and keep at room temperature overnight or refrigerate if storing for longer. After cupcakes are frosted, refrigerate until ready to serve. Cupcakes are great served chilled or at room temperature because they don’t harden with refrigeration.

Can I Use This Batter to Make a Cake? We’ve had great results turning it into a Vanilla Cake. You would need to double the recipe for two 9-inch cake layers.

Can I Substitute the Buttermilk? Plain kefir will also work well instead of buttermilk. You can also make your own buttermilk at a ratio of 1 cup whole milk to 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice. Combine and let it sit 10 minutes to curdle then stir and use.

How Long to Bake Cupcakes? Bake until the tops are springy and a toothpick inserted int the center comes out clean. These were perfectly baked at 350˚F for 22 minutes in a conventional oven.

Fluffy center of a perfect vanilla cupcake

More Cupcake Recipes:

Who can resist a cupcake? They’re just so cute and easy to love. We enjoy getting creative with cupcakes and they are one of the easiest desserts to make. These are our top-rated cupcake recipes:

Perfect Vanilla Cupcake Recipe

Total Time: 30 minutes
Vanilla cupcake with frosting and sprinkles
This is the only vanilla cupcake recipe you need! They are perfectly soft, rise evenly and go well with just about any cupcake frosting. The best cupcakes!
Author: Natasha Kravchuk
Cost to Make: $6
Keyword: cupcakes, vanilla cupcake recipe, vanilla cupcakes
Course: Dessert
Servings: 12 cupcakes

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake/muffin pan with cupcake liners.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 1/4 cups flour, 1 1/4 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Set flour mix aside.

3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed 5 minutes until thick and fluffy, scraping down the bowl as needed.

4. Add eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition then scrape down the bowl. Add 2 tsp vanilla and beat to combine.

5. Reduce mixer speed to medium and add the flour mixture in thirds alternating with the buttermilk, mixing to incorporate with each addition. Scrape down the bowl as needed and beat until just combined and smooth. Divide the batter evenly into a 12-count lined muffin or cupcake pan, filling 2/3 full.

6. Bake for 20-23 minutes at 350 °F, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool to room temperature before frosting.

Perfect Vanilla Cupcake Recipe

This recipe was first published in June 2012 (below is the original photo). After testing countless batches, we improved the recipe, swapping out oil for softened butter and took out the baking soda to create a super soft crumb. Everyone agrees, these are the best cupcakes. Just read the reviews!

P.S. Thank you all for trying this recipe and sharing it with the people you love.

My go-to vanilla cupcakes. Perfect every time!

The best frosting for cupcakes or cakes. Easy, delicious and pipes beautifully! | natashaskitchen.

• Michelle
    May 23, 2020

Hi natasha! So excited to try this. Question: if i want to use your recipe and make 1/2 the batter into chocolate cupcakes, how much of the cocoa powder should I use ? And what type of powder do you recommend? Thanks !

May 23, 2020

That sounds delicious Michelle! I haven’t tested that with chocolate but I think it could work. One of our readers wrote: “It is super moist and fluffy with a light vanilla flavour. After trying out the vanilla cupcakes a few times, I decided to ads a tbsp of cocoa powder for a chocolate cupcake and it still turned out great.”

• Evelyn
    May 22, 2020

Natasha, I am so sorry I must be hallucinating, but a few days ago I saw this recipe used canola oil instead of butter and a slightly different techniwue (beating eggs with sugar first). I cannot seem to find that recipe now. Have I confused something??? Did I lose my mind?)))

May 22, 2020

Hi Evelyn, this is the updated and improved version. We only update recipes when we feel they are significantly better and this definitely is. The texture turns out so fluffy, soft and phenomenal. I hope it becomes your new favorite.

• Yen
        May 25, 2020

Does it stay moist even in the fridge? The oil version never dried out.

May 25, 2020

Hi Yen, we have not had these dry out.

• Sofia
        May 28, 2020

Hi Natasha, I wish I read the comments before baking. I’ve made this cupcakes lots of times before and I couldn’t understand why the butter is so thick. Now I know that’s the new recipe but pictures didn’t change? The picture still shows runny butter being poured in muffin tins:( I’ve spend half of the evening trying to troubleshoot/add more buttercream till I read the comments!

May 29, 2020

Hi Sofia, we updated the recipe and posted a new video tutorial. I hope you have a chance to watch the video. I think thew updated recipe is significantly better and I hope it becomes a new favorite for you.

• Nic
        August 1, 2020

I am so upset. Your old recipe was absolutely perfect with the cake flour.

August 2, 2020

Hi Nic, I hope you give the updated recipe a try. We feel it’s better which is why we updated it.

• Mona Baptiste
      May 24, 2020

I really likes the oil version of this recipe and it was so easy! No need to wait for butter to soften. Any chance you remember the measurements of the old version? I wish I had printed it 😞

• Pik Yi Chong
        May 27, 2020

Me too!!! Hopefully someone can share the older version of recipe with canola oil

• Marisa
        May 29, 2020

Oil version was my favorite.

• Dhanya Varughese
    May 22, 2020

Hi Natasha!! I had been on the hunt for a very tasty vanilla cake recipe. I tried this today and it came out just so yummy. This will be my to-go recipe from now on! Thank you!

May 22, 2020

I’m so happy to hear you loved the cupcake recipe! Did you make a cake out of it?

• Dhanya Varughese
        May 22, 2020

I tried half of the recipe yesterday. Made cupcakes. Will make a cake out of this today. The cupcakes were so fluffy, moist and soft. Just melted in the mouth.

• Dhanya Varughese
          May 22, 2020

Am from India. During this time, your cupcake recipe was just so soothing too! My husband loved it ❤️ God bless you .

May 22, 2020

I am really so happy to hear that! Thank you for sharing that with us.

May 22, 2020

I’m so glad to hear that and I am excited to hear about your cake results next!

• Dhanya
            May 29, 2020

Hi there! Am making this cake for the third time now! It’s just so delicious! I wish I could post a picture of the cake.

May 29, 2020

I’m so happy you enjoyed that Dhanya! You can post it to FG or IG and tag #natashaskitchen

• Linda
    May 15, 2020

I,ve made these so many times
    are the best !and I,ve made soooo many ….the thing I did change was i add3d 1 tablespoon of melted butter to the oil ,and I use two cupcake liners instead of one, they are super moist …so many compliments ….I,d send you à peine ictère but don,t know where ,thankyou all your recipes never disappoint

May 15, 2020

I’m so glad you enjoyed that Linda. You can share the photo to social a media site like Facebook or Instagram and Utah #natashaskitchen for us to see it

• Cat
    May 14, 2020

Can I use 2% milk to replace the buttermilk?

May 14, 2020

Hi Cat, I always make these with buttermilk and haven’t tested milk. It may work, but without testing, It’s difficult to say for sure. We’ve been working on this recipe and have a video recipe coming soon for it. Here are the changes that we made for a crazy good consistency of the cupcake (I’ll be updating the recipe shortly): we used all-purpose flour (same measurement), also make sure eggs and buttermilk are at room temp. Lastly, we used 1 1/4 tsp baking powder and omitted the baking soda. The process is the same but after retesting over and over, those changes make a better cupcake.

• Phuong
    May 12, 2020

I made these with all the ingredients except buttermilk since my son is allergic to milk. I made a “buttermilk” using rice milk and some vinegar. They came out great. I also tried with chocolate chips coated in flour but they sunk to the bottom. The best batter addition is crushed Oreos. I will definitely make again. Thanks for a great recipe.

May 12, 2020

Thank you so much for sharing those substitutions with us! I’m glad you enjoyed this recipe!

• Audrey Fiedler
    May 9, 2020

Best cupcakes EVER. THE CREAM CHEESE ICING WITH THEM IS 10/10.

May 9, 2020

That’s just awesome!! Thank you for sharing your wonderful review Audrey!

• Sarah M
    May 8, 2020

Perfect recipe! Could you double this and make it into a cake?

May 8, 2020

I’m so glad you enjoyed that Sarah! I haven’t tried making a cake out of this but my inclination would be to double everything straight across, but it wouldn’t hurt to use 1 1/2 times the salt if you are concerned.

• Hala fawaz
    May 7, 2020

It coming out awesome

May 7, 2020

• Nazmeen
    May 2, 2020

It was amazing! I covered with a lemon glaze and it was perfect!

May 2, 2020

• Alexis orr
    April 24, 2020

It expoded every where it does not work

April 24, 2020

Hi Alexis, it sounds like maybe you switched baking powder with baking soda? That has happened to my sister and that was what she did. Keep in mind baking soda is 4x stronger than baking powder.

• B76
    April 21, 2020

What a great recipe! super soft and moist, really amazing. I was not expecting it to be so good.

I wonder if you can make this with almond flour for the GF folks.

Thanks for sharing!!

April 21, 2020

Thank you for your awesome review! I haven’t tried that substitution so I can’t say for sure. If you experiment, let me know how it works out

• Rachelle
    April 20, 2020

I’m excited about trying recipe after reading a lot of the comments. Like to use for my daughter’s wedding cake and cupcakes. You stated to double the recipe for a cake. Do I double the salt? Was told that doubling a recipe, not to double the salt as the results is too salty. Would not like to under salt either.

April 21, 2020

Hi Rachelle, I haven’t tried making a cake out of this but my inclination would be to double everything straight across, but it wouldn’t hurt to use 1 1/2 times the salt if you are concerned.

• Marisa
    April 19, 2020

The perfect cupcakes! Love this recipe ❤

April 19, 2020

Thank you Marisa.

• Binu
        April 22, 2020

Hi Natasha, is it possible to add some chocolate chips to this cupcake batter? Will the texture of the cupcake remain the same?

April 22, 2020

Hi Binu, I haven’t tested that and since this is a thinner batter, I’m not sure if they would sink to the bottom. If you experiment, please let me now how it goes.

• Judy
    April 11, 2020

Should these cup cakes be refrigerated if I making butter cream frosting also?

April 11, 2020

Hi Judy, Yes you will need to refrigerate, they will be just as good. Just cover and refrigerate. For the best results leave it at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Hope this helps.

• Nat
    April 4, 2020

Best cupcakes I’ve EVER had! I’ve used many different cupcake recipes and this one came out ridiculously amazing.10/10. I Made them with a vanilla buttercream frosting and I pretty much ate them all myself haha thank you

April 4, 2020

That’s so great, Nat! It sounds like you have a new favorite!

• Jenny
    April 3, 2020

Excellent recipe. I used all purpose flour and they still came out delicious. I topped mine with chocolate ermine buttercream.

April 3, 2020

Nice it sounds yummy! Thank you for your great review and I hope you enjoy all the recipes that you try.

• Vivi
    April 3, 2020

Wow! I have tried a lot of cupcake recipes but I believe I have finally found my favourite! It’s so light and delicious…The only difference is that I made a simple buttercream frosting since I didn’t have any cream cheese.Thank you Natasha!

April 3, 2020

You’re so welcome, Vivi. I’m glad that you discovered your favorite recipe!

• Fari
    April 1, 2020

Hi this is fari..tried recipie of cup cake excellent taste super moist and spongy..love it alot thanks

April 1, 2020

I’m so glad you enjoyed that!

• JV
    March 18, 2020

I have made his recipe bowman twice and both times the cupcakes have collapsed. They rose and spread above the liner. What am I doing wrong?.

• JV
      March 18, 2020

Sorry for the typos 😀
      Should say I have made this recipe twice now…..
      Hazard of having kids around.

March 18, 2020

Hi JV, are you certain you aren’t accidentally swapping the baking soda and baking powder? I’ve made that mistake in the past and it ran over. Also, make sure to measure the dry ingredients correctly. Here is a summary of how we measure for baking.

• Gabe
    March 14, 2020

Word of advice if you use the technique for not browning your Vanilla cupcakes, by placing a pan above them, it will not have a good out come. It doesn’t let the cupcakes underneath fully cook and when you take them out early because the outside cupcakes look good, it doesn’t allow them to fully rise and it looks like a bomb was dropped onto it…

March 14, 2020

Thank you for sharing that with us Gabe.

• Shikha Kapur
      March 20, 2020

I am looking for a vanilla cake recipe for a 3 layer cake. Do you have a recipe that can come handy? i want to combine it with your chocolate swiss meringue cake for three layers.

March 20, 2020

Hi Shikha, have you tried this Sponge Cake recipe here? You can add vanilla for flavor.

• Shikha Kapur
          March 21, 2020

I have tried it. The cakes came out superb.. but just a bit too dry and chewy. and then adding the syrup made them soft but I want sure about adding the sugar to the middle layer of the cake.. plus what it would do to the Swiss meringue in the middle.. So I thought might as well make a normal vanilla cake which I can simply stack.

March 21, 2020

Thank you for sharing that with us. These cakes should not be chewy. Was anything altered in the recipe? I recommend looking at our Post of measuring which should help.

• Bedava Bahis
    March 13, 2020

I’m amazed, I must say. Seldom do I come across a blog
    that’s equally educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve hit
    the nail on the head. The issue is something too few men and women are
    speaking intelligently about. I’m very happy I came across this during my search for something relating to this.

March 13, 2020

I’m glad you’re enjoying our blog. Thank you for stopping by.

• Helen Caneron
    March 7, 2020

Did you make your own frosting if so could you publish the recipe please.
    Enjoy your posts and recipes.
    Regards
    Helen
    Melbourne

• Elaine Foo
    March 2, 2020

I have tried it as a vanilla cupcake and it is fluffy and moist. I would like to change it into a rose cake recipe. Can I just substitute the vanilla with rose water or rose syrup?

March 2, 2020

Hello Elaine. I haven’t experimented on that to advise but please let us know how it goes if you decide to try it and do an experiment.

• Hena
    February 19, 2020

I found this recipe bc I needed to make some cupcakes fast (lol), and they are so great! They were so easy to make, I used AP flour and heavy milk and they were awesome. Thank you!

February 19, 2020

That’s just awesome!! Thank you for sharing your wonderful review Hena!

• maggie
    February 10, 2020

Hi love your recipe.. just wondering is there any substitute for the oil and if so how much do I use.
    love all the different posts

February 10, 2020

Hi Maggie, you might try extra light olive oil (not extra virgin) – I purchase it at Costco and find it to be a really great all-purpose oil which works well for baking and higher heat cooking.

• Ruby
    February 6, 2020

Hi Nastasha, tried this recipe and love it. How many days do this cupcakes expires if not consume?

February 6, 2020

Hi Ruby. Freshly baked cupcakes will keep well for about 1 week in the fridge when properly stored; when refrigerating, cover with foil or plastic wrap to prevent cupcakes from drying out.

• Ruby
        February 6, 2020

Thank you. 😊

February 6, 2020

Thanks for the review!

• AP
      March 18, 2020

What would you recommend a good substitute for the eggs for this recipe. I was thinking applesauce maybe??

March 19, 2020

Hi Ruby. Someone commented this “I just made these with Bob’s red mill egg replacer and they were fabulous!! Impossible to tell that there is no egg in there”

• Myranie
    February 2, 2020

Hello Natasha I want to know if this recipe is good to make 2 x 8″ round cake instead on cupcakes ? Did it give enough batter ? Thank you so much for your time and recipes

February 3, 2020

Hi Myranie, I haven’t tested it as a cake before but several readers have. You’ll need to double the recipe and bake in two 8″ or “9-inch cake pans. I can’t say exactly on the baking time without testing it myself or if it will work in a 9×13, and I don’t recall anyone giving those specifics. Bake for the time in the recipe, then test with a toothpick. If it’s wet, add 3 to 5 minutes.

• Maria
    January 30, 2020

Hi Natasha, I would like to make my own Cake flour. This recipe requires 1 1/4 cake flour how many Tbsp of corn starch do I need to add? Thank you.

January 30, 2020

Hi Maria, here is the tutorial for our homemade cake flour.

• Maria
        January 31, 2020

Thank you for your reply, I’ve watched the video but I’m still unsure on the amount of corn starch I need to add for the 1/4 cup part?

As explained in the video –
        1 cup all-purpose flour, minus 2 Tbsp, 2 Tbsp corn starch

The recipe requires 1 1/4 cups how much do I remove of the flour and how much corn starch do I add?

I can’t wait to make these cupcakes.

Thank you for your time.

January 31, 2020

Hi Maria, we just scooped out 2 tbsp of flour and replace it with 2 tbsp corn starch. I also have photos with the explanation in the recipe post. I hope that helps.

• Maria
            February 10, 2020

I made them yesterday they turned out amazing. Thank you so much. Going to try your chocolate cupcakes this week also. Love your recipes x

February 10, 2020

That’s so great Maria! Thank you for that awesome feedback.

• Trecey
          March 6, 2020

Hi! Just was wondering, how much flour did you take out of the 1/4 cup and how much corn starch did you replace it with? I did about a third of a teaspoon and they came out great!

• Ashley
    January 25, 2020

I make these all the time! I practically know the recipe by heart now. I’ve struggled for so long to find the perfect vanilla cupcake. I’ve finally found it! These are fabulous! Great flavor, great texture, and they rise up just the perfect amount. Thanks for the amazing recipe!

January 25, 2020

You’re welcome! I’m so happy you enjoyed it, Ashley!

• Khaleed
    January 19, 2020

Made these, came out perfectly, multiplied the recipe by 12 and still came out perfect, soft, moist and well, I’m never going back on this recipe. Thanks

January 20, 2020

I’m so glad to hear that! Thank you for stopping by with your amazing review!

• DIANE
    January 16, 2020

Hello, this is a great recipe, I was wondering if I can use a sugar substitute, as I am diabetic

January 17, 2020

Hi Diane, thank you. Without testing a substitution myself, I’m not sure what to recommend. I wish I could be more help with your question. If anyone else has experimented, please let us know.

• Kim
    January 1, 2020

These cupcakes are so delicious. Can I use this recipe for a cake or do you have another vanilla cake recipe?

January 2, 2020

Hi Kim, I haven’t tested it as a cake before but several readers have. You’ll need to double the recipe and bake in two 9-inch cake pans. I can’t say exactly on the baking time without testing it myself or if it will work in a 9×13, and I don’t recall anyone giving those specifics. Bake for the time in the recipe, then test with a toothpick. If it’s wet, add 3 to 5 minute

• MG
    December 19, 2019

Omg! These cupcakes turned out so light, fluffy and tasty! I got 48 mini cupcakes (about 1 tablespoon of batter per cupcake)

December 19, 2019

I’m so happy to hear that! Thank you for sharing your great review!

• Maria
    December 11, 2019

Hi Natasha, I also require the metric measurements for this recipe? Many thanks

December 11, 2019

Hi Maria, as noted in the last comment. We are currently working on adding metric measurements to all of our recipes but it is taking some time as we have to add them one at a time. Thank you so much for being patient! In the meantime, check out our post on measuring which should help

• Vanessa
    December 1, 2019

Can the buttermilk be replaced with almond milk? What does the buttermilk do?

December 2, 2019

Hi Vanessa, I have tried it with the vinegar/milk substitute, but we like it better with buttermilk. The cupcake relies on it to rise. If you experiment please let me know how you like that

• Pallavi
    November 27, 2019

Hello from Auckland, New Zealand …I have to say tried your recipe and got the most perfect and softest vanilla cupcakes…making the next batch for the school fundraiser

November 27, 2019

I love that you’re making these for a school fundraiser! That’s so great

• Caroline Burton
    November 26, 2019

Can I use self raising flour?

November 26, 2019

Hi Caroline, without testing that I won’t be able to guess what other substitutions need to be made. If you experiment, please let me know how it goes. Keep in mind self-rising flour already has leavening so you would need to make some adjustments there.

• Mel
    November 25, 2019

Your walk thru of how to is missing adding the oil! We just put them in the oven without oil. Hopefully they are not a total write off.

November 26, 2019

Hi Mel, we have it listed on step four, “Add vanilla and oil and beat on medium speed (1 minute)” on the printable recipe and on step 4 above the photo showing us adding the vanilla to the mixing bowl. I hope that helps.

• Sameehah
    November 18, 2019

Hi Natasha, this is my go to recipe for vanilla cupcakes. Someone recently asked me to make 10 vanilla cupcakes, 10 red velvet, 10 chocolate cupcakes and 10 carrot cupcakes. I tested this recipe for the red velvet version and it came out great. Just added a tbsp of cocoa, 2.5ml red food colouring and 1/2 tsp white vinegar. Not sure how to make the carrot cupcakes using this recipe as my basis but will figure it out lol

November 18, 2019

I’d love to know how you like that! If you experiment please keep us posted!

• Miss S Williams
        November 21, 2019

So I tried the carrot cake version. I added 1tbsp orange zest, 225g carrots, 1/2 tsp cardamon and 1 tsp cinnamon. The client is allergic to nuts, so i left that out (I usually use toasted walnuts)

• Terry
    November 4, 2019

Hi
    Terry again. How do I get 1/4 cup of cake flour? What is the flour:cornstarch ratio?

November 4, 2019

Hi Terry, here is our recipe for how to make cake flour. If you experiment with another, please let me know how you liked the recipe

• Terry
    November 4, 2019

Hi
    What is the measurement for 1 1/4 cups cake flour?

November 4, 2019

Hi Terry, I’m not sure I understand the question. This recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups of flour. Are you looking for the metric measurement or weight?

• Terry
      November 4, 2019

I don’t have cake flour, so I wanted to know what is the 1/4 cup ratio with AP flour and cornstarch, please

• Elaine Foo
    November 2, 2019

Can I make it vegan and into a cake? I know I can substitute the diary milk with soy or almond, but will omitting the egg affect the final outcome?

November 2, 2019

Hi Elaine, I haven’t tested that to advise. If you experiment, let me know how you liked the recipe

• Stella
      November 13, 2019

I just made these with Bob’s red mill egg replacer and they were fabulous!! Impossible to tell that there is no egg in there.

November 13, 2019

That’s so great! Thank you for sharing that with us!

• Terry
    November 1, 2019

I have tried several recipes and all failed. So I am looking forward to trying this one. Could you tell me what is the measurement for flour and cornstarch for 1/4 cup cake flour, as it states in your recipe?
    Thank you.

• Melody Tsang
    October 30, 2019

Soft, moist and smells so good! Thanks so much!

October 31, 2019

You’re welcome! I’m so happy you enjoyed it, Melody!

• Denise
    October 29, 2019

Can this same recipe be used for a cake also?

October 29, 2019

Hi Denise, I haven’t tested it as a cake before but several readers have. You’ll need to double the recipe and bake in two 9-inch cake pans. I can’t say exactly on the baking time without testing it myself or if it will work in a 9×13, and I don’t recall anyone giving those specifics. Bake for the time in the recipe, then test with a toothpick. If it’s wet, add 3 to 5 minute

• Jenni
    October 4, 2019

Hi Natasha! The first time I made this recipe, it came out perfect! Moist and delicious!! Unfortunately, when I tried it again, it failed terribly. It overflowed on the cupcake tin in the middle of baking time then deflated and created a creater in the middle. I tried 3x but all failed. I don’t know what went wrong when I made it perfect the first time.

October 5, 2019

Hi Jenni, wow that is definitely not normal, but I am always happy to help troubleshoot. Did you bake 15 of them and fill them half full? If you overfill them and don’t give them room to rise, they can overflow. Also, if you filled them correctly, are you certain you didn’t switch the baking powder and baking soda measurements? Baking soda is much stronger than baking powder and that could cause a similar situation. I hope that helps for next time!

• Greg Hollingsworth
    September 25, 2019

Can you use this recipe to make chocolate cupcakes by adding cocoa powder?

September 25, 2019

Hi Greg, I haven’t tested that but I think it could work. One of our readers wrote: “It is super moist and fluffy with a light vanilla flavour. After trying out the vanilla cupcakes a few times, I decided to ads a tbsp of cocoa powder for a chocolate cupcake and it still turned out great.”

• Anya
    September 21, 2019

Hi Natasha! I love baking! I absolutely love the flavor of these cupcakes! I made them a handful of times, however I don’t know why the top comes out tacky (almost wet) to the touch. Completely cooked through though. I tried to experiment after original recipe did that twice and still can’t get them to be dry on top! Weird. Any suggestions?

September 21, 2019

Hi Anya, I’m more than happy to troubleshoot. Were you exact in your measurements? Did you use dry ingredient measuring cups for dry ingredients and liquid measuring cups for wet ingredients? I used a standard cupcake pan. Also, do you live in a high elevation area?

• Anya
        September 28, 2019

Hi Natasha. Yes I measured correctly and used standard lined cupcake pan. I live in Florida so high humidity.

• Melissa
    September 10, 2019

I am wondering if I can use the same recipe for mini cupcakes? Do I need to change anything besides cooking time?

September 10, 2019

Hi Melissa, that should work, if I recall correctly, I believe it makes 36 mini cupcakes form one batch, just be sure to fill them only halfway. Also, bake mini cupcakes for 10 minutes.

• Himanshu Thakur
    September 2, 2019

Amazing recipe. I tried this recipe and it came out delicious. You explained this recipe gently. Thanks for sharing.

September 2, 2019

You’re welcome! I’m so happy you enjoyed it!

• Mary B
    August 31, 2019

I made these a couple times to adjust for high elevation (6300 ft). I found that if you add 1/4 cup extra cake flour they rise better and are a better consistency. So if you’re at high elevation I would recommend adding more flour. My biggest critique is that I feel the vanilla flavor is not very strong. It may because I added more flour for the elevation. My husband even said, “huh they don’t taste bad..they just don’t taste like anything.” We do like stronger flavors but that’s just our thoughts. Thanks for the recipe.

September 1, 2019

Thanks for sharing your advice on baking these cupcakes at high elevation. You can add a little more vanilla if you prefer more flavor.

• Susan
    August 26, 2019

Hello Natasha,
    Your cupcakes are great, but I can bake only one 12 cake pan at a time. Could you adjust the recipe for 12 cupcakes?
    Love the cake flour recipe!
    Also, I would like to make this recipe in 8 1/2 x 2 1/2 round cake pan. Could you suggest temperature and baking time?

August 26, 2019

Hi Susan, you sure can! If you click Jump to Recipe that should take you to our printable option towards the bottom of the post where you can select and change the number of servings you would like to have.

• Susan
        August 27, 2019

Natasha, this is what I found after changing number of servings to 12.
        I can change the decimals to grams (although you should included there), but 1.6 egg?
        • 1 cups cake flour or Canadian all-purpose flour
        • 1 tsp baking powder
        • 0.4 tsp baking soda
        • 0.4 tsp salt
        • 1.6 large eggs room temperature
        • 0.6 cup sugar
        • 1.2 tsp pure vanilla extract
        • 0.4 cup canola oil
        • 0.4 cup buttermilk or plain kefir

August 27, 2019

Hi Susan, the scaling does have its limitations. You could weight the eggs and use what you need or use 2 small eggs and that would probably work fine.

• Laura
          March 6, 2020

How do I make these almond flavored?

March 6, 2020

Hi Laura, you might try almond extract.

March 6, 2020

Hi Laura, I haven’t tested that to advise. If you experiment, let me know how you liked the recipe

• Annie
      September 21, 2019

Susan, you can always refrigerate remaining batter until the first batch is done. Just remember to cook your pan down before reusing!

• Tressa
    August 23, 2019

I really want to try making this recipe but will I be able to use any other substitute for cake flour such as adding regular all-purpose flour and something else in?

August 23, 2019

Hi Tressa, here is our recipe for how to make cake flour. If you experiment with another, please let me know how you liked the recipe

• Elizabeth
    August 5, 2019

Good morning, I’ve been reading a lot of the posts and it looks like this is the recipe I’ve been looking for. My son is getting married next fall and they asked me to make 120 wedding cupcakes. I was wondering if they freeze well.

August 5, 2019

Hi Elizabeth, I haven’t tried freezing them, but they should freeze well before adding the frosting.

• Elizabeth
        August 5, 2019

Thank you, I’ll give it a try this week and freeze a few just to see how they turn out. By the way your site is wonderful. You explain things very well.

August 5, 2019

Thank you for that wonderful compliment!

• Cristina
    July 25, 2019

These cupcakes were so tasty I kept eating them!

July 25, 2019

That’s so great! Sounds like you found a new favorite Cristina!

• Patricia Teh
    July 18, 2019

Hi Natasha. How do I get a flat top cupcake? I used your recipe and the cupcake was delicious but no flag top for me. Any suggestions on how to get a flat top enough for piping?

July 18, 2019

Hi Patricia, I recommed taking a look at our Post on Measuring to be sure the ingredients are measured correctly. Also, are you possibly at a higher altitude and need to adjust a few things? I hope this helps

• Sharie Ann Rameshwar
    July 12, 2019

This is my go to cupcake recipe…

July 12, 2019

! I’m so happy you enjoyed it Sharie!

• Joey89
    July 1, 2019

I have tried this last year. I made 40 cupcakes 20 Vanilla n 20 Choc. Both using same recipe. This is the best eventhough I’m using buttermilk substitute. Thank You. This will be saved to my personal ultimate recipe book. Tqqq!! And by the way I have an order of 150 pcs this weekend. 😉

July 1, 2019

Sounds like you found a favorite on our blog! That’s so great! Thank you Joey!

• Christina
    June 30, 2019

How would this recipe work with heavy whipping cream instead of buttermilk?

June 30, 2019

Hi Christina, I have tried it with the vinegar/milk substitute, but we like it better with buttermilk. If you experiment please let me know how you like that

• Christina
        July 1, 2019

I tired it with cold heavy whipping cream instead of buttermilk & veggie oil, (the same measurement in the recipe) and boom! It didn’t affect the taste, density or fluffy-ness at all! I baked them for 22 minutes as well & they were ever so slightly underbaked but perfect. I don’t like such a dry, crumby cupcake.
        My kids loved them! I did shift my dry ingredients especially when I use cake flour.
        This is the only cupcake recipe I use because it works!

July 2, 2019

That’s so great Christina! I’m so happy you enjoyed this recipe & thank you so much for sending that feedback our way.

• Amber
    June 22, 2019

I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect vanilla cucpake and this is it! I’ve tired countless recipes but I was never truly satisfied until I found this one! Moist, fluffy, and great flavor! This will be my go to vanilla cupcake recipe from now on. Thanks for sharing!

June 22, 2019

Awww that’s the best! Thank you so much for sharing that with me, Amber. I’m all smiles!

• Kat
    June 16, 2019

hi natasha,yum cupcakes
    is 1 cup flout 120g or 130g as ive seen both,THANKS

June 17, 2019

Hi Kat, we measure it at 120 grams.

• Nataliya
        August 27, 2019

How many days in advance can you make these?

August 27, 2019

Hi Nataliya, These can be stored for 2-3 days ahead in the fridge. After being washed berries don’t last that long in the fridge and the moisture may cause them to bleed a bit. I would recommend adding those as late as you can so they fresh and crisp.

• Laura Ngo
            July 7, 2020

Thanks Natasha. Your recipe is very easy to follow. Everyone in my family loves the cupcakes a lot.

July 7, 2020

Aww that’s the best Laura! Thank you for sharing that wonderful feedback!

• Rhonda
    June 15, 2019

Absolutely the BEST ever cupcake! I made the cupcakes and took them to work. I asked everyone to rate them on a scale of 1-10. Obviously, 10 being Excellent! I was planning on having them at a wedding shower, so I needed to know if the “passed” the test. The final rating was a perfect “10” from everyone!

I’ve made this recipe multiple times with the Best Ever Frosting and never been disappointed.

However, I do have one question. Most of the time the cupcakes aren’t as full (puffy) as they appear in your post. I baked them with the Convection setting. Could this be the issue? Just curious if you have any idea why they don’t seem to puff up and out, like your pictures.

June 15, 2019

I’m so happy everyone enjoyed this recipe! I haven’t had that happen before – but we do use a conventional oven (not convection) so that may make the difference. Also, make sure the baking soda and baking powder weren’t switched – I’ve done that before and my cupcakes ended up concave in the center. I hope that helps!

• Cassidy
    June 14, 2019

Do you think that using gluten free all purpose Canadian flour would be an alternative or would it change the texture? New to using gluten free flour and trying to find a great recipe! Thanks

June 14, 2019

Hey there Cassidy, I haven’t tried with gluten free but few of my readers have reported great results using gluten free flour for the cup cakes and for the strawberry layer cake. Let me know how it works out for you!

• DeDe Sandler
    June 8, 2019

These cupcakes are amazing!!!! I have been on the search for the perfect cupcake for a year and made dozens of recipes for my same group of girlfriends. Everyone agreed this are the winners!

June 8, 2019

Awww that’s the best! Thank you so much for sharing that with me Dede. I’m all smiles!

• Venus
    June 6, 2019

Very good recipe

June 7, 2019

I’m so happy you enjoyed that!

• Renee
    June 6, 2019

These are amazing. I run a cottage food business and made no less than four vanilla cupcake recipes before finally finding this one. This is BY FAR the very best one! These cupcakes have a light, airy texture but can still handle the weight of a traditional buttercream and maintain their shape when pulling them from the cupcake liner. The recipe also seems foolproof- very easy to follow and execute, without much room for error. Natasha is right- using oil instead of butter makes things SO MUCH BETTER on many levels!! Thanks, Natasha!!

June 6, 2019

I’m so so happy to hear that Renee! Thank you for sharing your amazing feedback with us!

• Sam
    May 24, 2019

I wouldn’t call these cupcakes. They have more of a muffin taste/consistency. Not sure if it’s due to the buttermilk and/or cake flour. They taste good, just not what I was looking for or expected. Still searching for a delicious cupcake recipe:)

May 24, 2019

Hi Sam, I’m sorry they didn’t turn out like you hoped. I would highly suggest using cake flour which will give you a lighter crumb.

• Iryna De Leon
      June 26, 2020

We love your cupcakes very much They are soooooo delicious
      Could you tell me please what is the serving size? 2 cupcakes?

June 26, 2020

Thank you! The nutrition label is per cupcake and this makes 12 cupcakes.

• Vika
    May 23, 2019

Nice and fluffy , i realized i forgot to buy buttermilk so i soured some milk with vinegar. I would say it needs more Vanilla taste. I used height quality vanilla but it was still barely coming through.

May 23, 2019

I’m happy you enjoyed this recipe Vika!

• Jessica
      May 29, 2019

They were greasy and almost rubbery. Not a great flavor either. I did use vegetable oil instead of canola. I will not use this recipe again.

May 30, 2019

Hi Jessica, It is difficult to say what could have gone wrong without being there as I haven’t had that experience but the vegetable oil should have worked fine. I would suggest this post on measuring ingredients which may help in troubleshooting the issue.

• Rizz Sedayao
    May 16, 2019

My guests for Easter couldn’t get enough of this cupcake! Easy to follow and delicious! Just a simple sweetness not overbearing and gritty. Moist and fluffy, did not fold in if you don’t over fill the cups. I would be using this recipe everytime! Thank you.

May 16, 2019

That’s so awesome, Rizz!Thank you for that awesome review!

• carol Chergotis
    May 8, 2019

Hi do you have this recipe in grams or ounces ..I like to weigh my ingredients..thank you

May 8, 2019

Hi Carol! We are currently working on adding metric measurements to all of our recipes but it is taking some time as we have to add them one at a time. Thank you so much for being patient! In the meantime, check out our post on measuring which should help.

• Yen
      May 11, 2019

Hi would these beauties dry out in the refrigerator? I like fruits and whip cream with my cupcakes.

• Renee
    May 8, 2019

Hey! Wondering if I could substitute whole milk for the buttermilk? I don’t have any buttermilk right now and I’m hoping to avoid running out!

May 8, 2019

Hi Renee, I have tried it with the vinegar/milk substitute, but we like it better with buttermilk :). If you experiment please let me know how you like that

• Frytzhyl A. Lanojan
    May 8, 2019

hi natasha 🙂
    thank you for the recipe ! ahm. i would like to ask if i can make these beautiful cupcakes without using the oven like steaming maybe. Our oven was broken and i really want to make one for my mother this coming mother’s day to surprise her 🙂

May 8, 2019

That’s a great question! In haven’t tested another way beyond baking so I cannot advise. If you experiment please let me know how you like that.

• Allie Chmil
    May 3, 2019

14 minutes, more like 30 minutes for them to bake! I was baking these cupcakes for a special event and crumbled right when they came out of the oven.

May 3, 2019

Hi Allie, I’m sorry to hear that but I am always happy to help troubleshoot. We bake these per the recipe and haven’t the had the issue of crumbling so I suspect they were overbaked.

• Nathasha
    April 12, 2019

Hi Natasha, I would like to makes these but my baking powder already has baking soda and salt. Should I still add it? and if not how much of just the baking powder that has all 3 ingredients?

Thank you!!

April 12, 2019

HI Nathasha, I am not familiar with that mixture – was it sold that way? I couldn’t recommend that without experimenting with proportions or knowing what is actually in it.