Home > Dessert > Easy Pie Crust Recipe (VIDEO)

Easy Pie Crust Recipe (VIDEO)

This homemade pie crust recipe yields a flaky tender crust with rich buttery flavor. It has simple, natural ingredients and uses only butter (NO SHORTENING). Also, learn how to form a fluted pie rim and “blind bake” or pre-bake pie crust.

Pie Crust Recipe

This pie dough recipe yields 2 single crusts or 1 double crust. Homemade pies are irresistibly delicious. I’ve never been satisfied with a store-bought pie the same way. The taste and texture of an all-butter pie crust can’t be beat and knowing what went into it will make you feel like ‘Martha Stewart’ (or should I say ‘Natasha’s Kitchen’… I couldn’t resist) ;). Watch the VIDEO tutorial below and you will be a pro in no time!

We included Amazon affiliate links below to our favorite tools for making pie dough!

Ingredients for Butter Pie Crust Dough:

It doesn’t get any easier than this and you probably already have everything you need to make homemade pie dough: Flour, sugar, salt, butter and water. The butter should be chilled straight out of the fridge so you don’t have to plan ahead to make pie dough.

homemade pie crust ingredients to make pie crust recipe butter

How to Make Homemade Pie Crust in 4 Easy Steps:

1. Measure flour correctly then in a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar and salt.
  2. Add COLD diced butter and pulse until coarse crumbs and some pea-sized pieces form.
  3. Add 7 Tbsp ice water and pulse just until moist clumps/ small balls of dough form. Pinch a piece of dough between your fingers and if it sticks together, it’s done. If not add more ice water 1 tsp at a time.
  4. Transfer dough to a clean work surface, and gather together into a ball. Resist the urge to knead the dough – it should not be smooth. Divide dough in half and flatten into 2 disks. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour before using.

Cook’s Tip: Do not add too much water or it will be sticky and difficult to roll.

How to make homemade pie crust with or without a food processor

How to Roll and Transfer Pie Dough:

Dust work surface with flour and roll a single crust into a 12″ circle. Wrap your pie dough around your rolling pin. If it sticks to the work surface use a food scraper or spatula to loosen it as you go.

Carefully transfer crust to 9″ pie dish and unroll it into the pan. Gently press dough down to line the pie dish. Tuck excess dough underneath itself to make a thick double layered edge (no waste!).

How to Roll and transfer pie dough

Do I need a Food Processor to Make Pie Dough?

You can use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour/sugar/salt mixture by hand. Follow the same cues for when to add the water. After water is added, use a spatula to cut the water into the dough until evenly moistened.

Can I make Pie Dough in Advance?

To freeze pie dough: wrap and seal airtight then freeze up to 3 months. Thaw completely prior to rolling.

What if my Pie Dough is Too Hard?

Refrigerating the pie dough for longer than an hour will cause it to firm up since it is butter based. Let it rest at room temperature for 10-20 minutes or until it is easy to roll out with a rolling pin.

How to Pre-bake Pie Crust (Blindbake):

Some recipes call for a pre-baked pie crust and this is how you blind bake:

1. Form your edge. The easiest methods are crimping the rim by pushing all around the edge with a fork, or forming a fluted rim (see tutorial below). Place pie crust in the freezer 30 minutes which will help the crust bake more evenly without sliding down.

2. Line the center with a 9-10″ ring of parchment paper and fill about 2/3 full with pie weights (*see below). Preheat oven to 425˚F and bake for 17 minutes until golden at the edges. Remove pie weights, prick the bottom of the crust all over with a fork and place back in the oven without weights for 5 minutes or until golden and the bottom is dried out.

3. Remove beans and let crust cool to room temperature.

How to Pre-Bake Pie Crust or Blindbake

How to Flute a Pie Crust:

To form a fluted pie rim, hold your thumb and index finger an inch apart on the outside edge of the crust and press between them with the index finger of the other hand. Move around the edges of the pan repeating the motion to create a fluted rim.

How to Flute a Pie Rim for fluted pie crust tutorial

*What Can I use Instead of Pie Weights?

When you pre-bake an empty crust a.k.a. “blind-bake,” the dough tends to puff up and rise. Using pie weights solves this problem. Here are some alternative to store-bought pie weights.

• Dry Raw Beans – beans should not be used for cooking following a blind bake but can be re-used to blind bake pie crust.
  • Dry Raw Rice – If using rice, it becomes toasted and can be used for cooking in pilaf recipes after it is use to prebake a pie crust

Pie Recipes to Explore:

Watch How to Make Butter Pie Crust:

See Natasha make her go-to pie crust recipe. If you enjoy our videos, please subscribe to our cooking channel on Youtube and click the bell icon so you will be the first to know when we post a new video!

Thank you so much for subscribing! We are so excited to have over 300K subscribers on Youtube and it’s growing fast.

Easy Pie Crust Recipe

Total Time: 10 minutes
How to Make homemade easy pie crust recipe
This homemade pie crust dough recipe yields a flaky tender crust with rich buttery flavor. This recipe uses only butter (NO SHORTENING) so it is all natural.
Author: Natasha of NatashasKitchen.com
Keyword: pie crust recipe
Cuisine: American, French
Course: Dessert
Servings: 12 people (makes 2 single or 1 double crust)

Ingredients for Butter Pie Crust Dough Recipe:

1. Place flour, sugar and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.

2. Add cold diced butter and pulse the mixture until coarse crumbs form with some pea-sized pieces then stop mixing. Mixture should remain dry and powdery.

3. Add 7 Tbsp ice water and pulse just until moist clumps or small balls form. Press a piece of dough between your finger tips and if the dough sticks together, you have added enough water. If not, add more water a teaspoon full at a time. Be careful not to add too much water or the dough will be sticky and difficult to roll out.

4. Transfer dough to a clean work surface, and gather dough together into a ball (it should not be smooth and DO NOT knead the dough). Divide dough in half and flatten to form 2 disks. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour before using in recipes that call for pie crust.

Easy Pie Crust Recipe
Iron 1.2mg7%

This recipe was adapted from the Joy of Cooking and The Bon Appetit Cookbook. They are both amazing general reference books that I have had in my kitchen for years. Highly recommend!

Now go forth and make homemade pie. You can DO THIS!!

• Pam
    December 13, 2021

Have you tried grating the butter instead of cubing it? If so, what do you think? Does it make the crust flakier?

December 13, 2021

Hi Pam, I honestly haven’t tested that to advise. If you try it as an experiment, please share with us how it goes.

• Lilian
    December 9, 2021

Hello Natasha!
    First time I ever made an apple pie, using your recipe. Everyone said it was scrumptious, especially the crust. 😋😋😋

December 10, 2021

Thanks for the lovely feedback, Lilian. Great job for making a successful apple pie on your first try!

• Daniel
    December 8, 2021

Hi Natasha, do I absolutely need a food processor, because I do NOT have one… can I just use a mixer to mix it all in a bowl or some other way, like using my hands?

December 8, 2021

Hi Daniel, it works best with one, and I haven’t tested this, but one of my readers shared that it worked great with an electric hand mixer. Also, you can use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour/sugar/salt mixture by hand. Follow the same cues for when to add the water. After adding the water, use a spatula to cut the water into the dough until evenly moistened.

• Alicia
    November 28, 2021

This crust made a great pie amazing! It was very easy to make and so delicious. Thank you !

November 29, 2021

Thank you for your good comments and feedback, Alicia!

• Anne
    November 27, 2021

Natasha — I only need a single pie crust. Can you please let me know if your recipe can be halved
    Thank you.

November 27, 2021

Hi Anne, yes, you can halve or save the rest for another time in the freezer.

• Kelly Quintana Lopez
    November 27, 2021

this was my first pie curst i ever made, I’m 16 and in the culinary program at my school, so I’m getting into baking since we are currently baking at my school, anywayssss, I decided this year to make a apple pie for thanksgiving, we all enjoyed it, and this pie curst was wonderful!

November 27, 2021

Wow! That’s just awesome! Thank you for sharing your excellent review!

• Kelly H.
    November 26, 2021

I made this crust for Natasha’s apple pie recipe and everyone loved this desert. The crust is amazing. So buttery and delicious. I have never made a pie before. This was my first and was so pleased that for my first pie my family devoured it. I couldn’t asked for more. Thanks so much Natasha. This crust is absolutely incredible. I hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Kelly

November 27, 2021

That’s just awesome! Thank you for sharing your excellent review, Kelly! That sounds like a special Thanksgiving dinner, and I’m glad you all loved it!

• Judy
      February 3, 2022

My crust fell apart and I measured the flour exactly how you told us (spooning it into the measuring cup). I did only use 6 Tab of ice water. Should I use the dough button on my food processor for this? I only used the pulse. I wonder if I did not pulse it enough or impulses too much. The chicken pot pie I made with this was delicious!!

February 4, 2022

Hi Judy, we normally use (7 to 8 Tbsp) of water. I recommend a bit more to ensure it doesn’t fall apart.

• Hope
    November 26, 2021

I regularly make pie crusts with lard, but I tried this recipe for the first time yesterday for my Thanksgiving pie, and rather than flaky and buttery, it turned out chewy and tough and basically inedible. I did not overmix and did not knead it. What did I do wrong??

• Hope
      November 26, 2021

I should also say that I did cut in the butter with a pastry cutter rather than using the food processor. Could that have been it?

November 26, 2021

Hi Hope, I recommend making sure there were no ingredients or process changes to alter this recipe! Also, be sure to measure by fluffing the flour first with a spoon then spoon it into a dry ingredient measuring cup and scrape off the top. If you push your measuring cup into a flour bin, you will get up to 25% too much flour. Also, do not tap the flour down in the measuring cup.

• Lisa
    November 26, 2021

I have always struggled with making my crust. Turned out perfect now trying the blind bake for my lemon meringue. not sure when to poke crust with fork though

November 26, 2021

• Cindy Kohl
    November 26, 2021

Your pie crust recipe was easier than I had ever used. It saved my hands from mixing up the ingredients since you used a food processor. Thanks.

November 26, 2021

I’m so glad you found it easy, Cindy! Thank you for your great feedback!

• Tams
    November 25, 2021

Nope…my crust shrunk up before I even got it into the oven….so sad and pitiful!
    I’ve made many crusts in my life, but this one is not one I could trust again.

November 25, 2021

Hi Tams, the crust should not shrink after it is rolled out. That could indicate overmixing the dough – this would make the crust dense, difficult to roll and also develop gluten which could cause it to spring back.

• Debra Grazulewicz
    November 25, 2021

Pie crust turned out perfect! Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours 🦃🥧

November 25, 2021

Hi Debra, I am so happy to hear that. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours also!

• Elizabeth Alvarado
    November 25, 2021

I only made this on my first try, with my daughter, to make my husband happy. Now we both can’t stop eating the apple pie! It has everything to do with the crust.
    Thank you so much, Natasha!
    Best,
    Liz and Madison

November 25, 2021

I’m happy to hear that you all enjoyed it! Thank you for the review, Elizabeth.

• Gosia Kelly
    November 24, 2021

hi Natasha,

can i make the dough and keep it in the fridge over night? i will be making your apple pie tomorrow 🙂

November 24, 2021

Hi Gosia, yes, You can prepare the crust and refrigerate up to 3 days ahead. Soften slightly at room temperature before rolling it out.

• Janet
    November 24, 2021

Made your easy pie crust. I added the additional water. The crust rolled out beautifully. I have cooked for over 55 years. This crust rolled out easier than any crust I have ever made. I will be making this crust in the future.

November 24, 2021

That’s just awesome! Thank you for sharing your wonderful review, Janet!

• Jenna
    November 21, 2021

I was so nervous as this was my first time making pie crust from scratch. It turned out a-mazing! It’s soooo buttery and flakey- I used it for chicken pot pie. I can’t wait to do your apple pie recipe for thanksgiving!!

November 21, 2021

Good job, Jenna on your first try! I’m glad that turned out great.

• Kelly Lindemuth
    November 20, 2021

I absolutely LOVE this recipe!!! I’m using it for all of my Thanksgiving pies (14!!!).

Do you have a link to the pastry brush you use to brush the excess flour off the crust when you roll it onto the rolling pin in the video? It looks like a great one and I can’t find it anywhere.

Thank you so much!

November 21, 2021

Wow! That’s just awesome! Thank you for sharing your wonderful review! you can find our favorite kitchen tools in our Amazon Affiliate Shop HERE.

• Susie
    November 20, 2021

Why unsalted butter? Can salted butter really make a big difference?

November 20, 2021

Hi Susie, I use unsalted butter for baking not only because I can control the salt content, but salted butter has additional moisture in it compared to unsalted. I think this would still work with salted butter, but you would want to omit the salt. I hope you love this pie crust recipe!

• Jenna
    November 17, 2021

Hi,

I’m going to be using this recipe plus your applie pie recipe and it’s my first time baking a pie! Can I use a kitchenaid professional mixer for the dough? Or is a food processor the best/easiest?

November 17, 2021

Hi Jenna, a food processor is best. I haven’t tested that in a KitchenAid myself to advise. If you experiment, let me know how you liked the recipe

• Mayra Arellano
    November 15, 2021

Can I use a blender with the pulse button instead of a food processor?

November 15, 2021

Hi Mayra, a handheld pastry blender will work, but a food processor will make the process much faster and easier. I can’t say a blender or mixer will work.

• Tori
      November 18, 2021

I used a ninja blender and it came out fine using the pulse button 🙂

• Julia
    November 7, 2021

Hi,
    I have made this pie before and it was delicious abd came out perfect! I want to make a few for Thanksgiving. Can I make this pie and freeze it?

November 7, 2021

Hi Julia, To freeze pie dough: wrap and seal airtight then freeze up to 3 months. Thaw completely prior to rolling.

• Ellen
    November 3, 2021

I made the dough but forgot the sugar, Does sugar make that much of a difference? Can I add the sugar before rolling out my dough?

November 3, 2021

Hi Ellen, no worries, It will still work as a savory pie dough if you omit the sugar.

• Irene
    November 1, 2021

Hi Natasha, I have made this pie crust a few times, but I have had problems with it shrinking quite a bit during the baking process. Do you have any tips for that?

November 2, 2021

Hi Irene, if it is a pie that requires a blind bake (pre-baking), that will help to prevent the shrinking of the crust. For example, a pumpkin pie will be a disaster if it is not pre-baked and we shared a ton of great tips for that in the pumpkin pie post. Also, I like to extend the crust beyond the edge slightly (depending on the pie) to help with that if the crust doesn’t need pre-baking. Building up the crust when you crimp them together seems to help.

• Darlene
    October 31, 2021

Hey Natasha, unfortunately I dont have a food processor. Can i use a hand mixer instead?

November 1, 2021

Hi Darlene, I haven’t tested this, but one of my readers shared that it worked great with an electric hand mixer. Also, you can use a pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour/sugar/salt mixture by hand. Follow the same cues for when to add the water. After the water is added, use a spatula to cut the water into the dough until evenly moistened.

• Sharon Parks
    October 30, 2021

I made this pie filling. So good! Highly recommend. Thank you for sharing.

November 1, 2021

• Israelle Moews
    October 27, 2021

I’ve made a few of Natashas recipes and my absolute favorite is the Chicken Pot Pie! I’ve used this pie crust recipe many limes and it’s a hit every time. The first couple of times were a little tough to roll out but that’s only because I didn’t know I was suppose to let it rest before rolling. I highly recommend giving this a try, it’s so worth it!

October 27, 2021

Hi Israelle, that’s great to hear. I’m glad you love the chicken pot pie recipe. I hope you’ll enjoy all the recipes that you will try.

• Molly
        November 7, 2021

I’ve made this pie crust for a few of your recipes, most recently your Chicken Pot pie (which is absolutely delicious!) Do you have any tips for the pie crust cracking when rolling it out? I noticed that the pie crust didn’t come together like it’s normally done and caused it to crack and break apart when rolling it out. The crust was still delicious, just a little more challenging to work with. Thank you for all of your recipes!

November 8, 2021

Hello Molly, make sure that you have measured the ingredients correctly. Check out our post on how to measure which may help for next time.

• Lisa
    October 10, 2021

Pie crust has always intimidated me. I am very pleased with how easy this crust is to make. I used it to make your delicious pot pie! The crust is so flaky. I could use tips on how to roll it out into a circle. I have a giant silpat that includes measurements but I still didn’t do well making a uniform circle.

October 10, 2021

Thank you for your great feedback Lisa. Great to hear that you loved how this recipe turned out! I think you just really have to practice, it will get better as you practice.

• Margaret Madden
    October 10, 2021

So i have never made a pie before and I’m kind of confused. You say to press the dough i to two discs but also to not kneed it. So do I press the dough into two fat, rough discs with my hands and then roll it with the rolling pin after it’s refrigerated? Or is the time to roll it with the rolling pin before the refrigerator period and that’s when you actually roll it flat into a pie crust? Sorry and thank you!

October 10, 2021

Hi Margaret, you got it right, just pull it and form it into a disk without kneading the dough. Then roll it into a flat pie crust after it has had a chance to rest in the refrigerator. Watch the video tutorial in the post above and I think it will be more clear and may give you more confidence on what to expect.

• Nancy Stevens
    October 9, 2021

Hi Natasha, I made your wonderful buttery pie dough to make apricot fried pies. They turned out beautiful. Even the next day after being fried, the crust was still crunchy and flaky and SO good! Thanks for a great crust recipe.

October 10, 2021

You’re very welcome, Nancy. Glad that it was a success!

• Sharon
    October 9, 2021

I’d be interested to know if one could use Gluten free all purpose flour in this recipe? I’ve used many of your recipes and most of them are among our family favourites but I’m now allergic to gluten so wondering how to adapt.

October 10, 2021

Hi Sharon, I’m sorry to hear that. I haven’t tested this recipe as gluten-free so I can’t make a recommendation on that. I searched the comments and couldn’t find anyone who had written in about trying that either.

• Cari
      October 13, 2021

Hi Sharon and Natasha. I wanted to let you know I tried your recipe using Bob Red Mill’s GF 1 for 1 baking flour. Crust turned out delicious…very flaky. It was a little tricky to work with when rolling it out but otherwise fine. My only comment is make sure your par-bake the bottom shell before adding the filling. I made your chicken pot pie recipe and the bottom crust was not done. Top crust turned out gorgeous.

October 14, 2021

Hi Cari, nice to know that, and thank you for sharing some suggestions with us!

• Germana Aluzzo
    October 3, 2021

Hi! Congratulations for ur video which are really funny ! I wanna try this recepy but I am a little bit lost about the quantities. U say to take 2 and a half cups of flour… which is… in gramms?

• October 3, 2021

In each recipe at the bottom of the recipe card, there is a conversion button to help you figure out the grams. Hope this helps

• Roman
    September 27, 2021

10/10 would recommend, i accidentally burnt them all but luckily my family had Covid and can not tasted or smell the fact that half the ingredients were missing.

September 28, 2021

Oh no, I hope your family is all okay now.

• Shari Henke
    September 27, 2021

I’m making your pie crust for the first time! I haven’t made pie crust in many years, so l am going to combine your special apple pie sauce and cinnamon to my peaches from my tree to see how it taste. I have the dough in the frig so l’m wait to see how it turns out!!
    Wish me luck

September 27, 2021

I hope you love this recipe, Shari!!

• Nicole
    September 25, 2021

This recipe looks wonderful. I tried to make the dough, I left it in the fridge overnight as I ran out of time to cook it on the same day as the apple pie filling. Now my dough is breaking apart when I roll it out, even after I let it get back to room temperature… is there any way to salvage it?

September 27, 2021

Hi Nicole, did it hold together in a disk when you put it into the refrigerator? If not, most likely it needed slightly more water to keep it together. If it had enough moisture in the dough, usually, if you let it sit at room temperature, it will soften and be easier to roll out. If you think your dough is too dry and is breaking apart, you can sprinkle some cold water over the dough and gently work it in with your fingers until the dough comes together.

• Kevin
        October 2, 2021

Thank you for answering! I am leaving my dough in refrige overnight now, hope it will turn out to be ok!

• JR
    September 22, 2021

We really have enjoyed the apple pie and crust? I made this five times and each time I fight with the dough. Your older video stated 5-6 tablespoons of ice water but I always used 6 because the dough was always crumbly after refrigeration. This video shows you using low moisture butter. Should I as well?

September 23, 2021

Hi JR, I’m not sure what you mean by ‘low moisture’ butter. I use regular grocery store butter. The sticks in the photos are from Costco but I have experimented with whatever brand I’ve had on hand. I have been adding 6 Tbsp but it can vary slightly depending on how things were measured, the temperature of the ingredients, etc. It’s best to keep an eye on visual cues and what the dough feels like to determine whether or not to add a little more cold water.

• Ryan
    September 20, 2021

Recipe was delicious! Not being an everyday baker, I was surprised by the 2 sticks of butter this calls for. SO, I only used 1.5 sticks of butter and my entire family thought the pie crust was still delicious. Anyone wanting to cut out some butter, feel free to do that. You won’t notice any difference.

September 20, 2021

I’m so glad you all enjoyed it! Thank you for that great review, Ryan!

September 20, 2021

Hi Ryan, thanks for sharing. I haven’t tried that but I assume you would need to cut down the other ingredients some as well. I’m glad you enjoyed it with less butter.

• Ryan
        September 24, 2021

Nope. The other ingredients were all the same amount. I only trimmed the butter. The crust was still delicious! I had just wanted to share that with others.

Last year my wife decided to remove all dairy from her diet. She cheats about once a week. But I now always look for ways to trim here or there where I can. I was expecting it not to work.. but I was happy that it did work!

• Courtney
    September 16, 2021

My dinky FP doesn’t pulse anything but the very bottom contents, so I had to run continuously. It all clumped up into a giant blob.
    I tried again with my kitchenaid mixer and paddle as another comment had mentioned (chopped up butter very tiny). I got to 5 TBS of water and it turned into a big ball again. Not as soft as in my FP, at least.
    God willing, one of these batches will be usable this weekend for chicken pot pie for hubby. =/

• Linda
    September 9, 2021

I had trouble with your easy pie crust. It seemed too hard when it came out of the frig, crumbled when I rolled it, and it stuck to the rolling pin. What did I do wrong?

September 9, 2021

Hi Linda, it is likely due to being too cold, you can let it rest at room temperature for 15-30 minutes until it is easier to roll out. I hope that helps.

• Ryan
      September 20, 2021

Tip. You’ll want to add small amounts of flour to your flat surface and rolling pin. It will help the dough not stick to everything when you roll it out.

• Charity Custer
    September 8, 2021

Can you make your pie crust into square form because I do not have a pie pan

September 8, 2021

Hi Charity! If it’s an oven-safe pan, I bet that could work! I hope you love this recipe!

• Maria Salgado
      November 28, 2021

Well as a tip I would recommend you to use a cake mold it is fine you can use a round cake mold or you can invest a little in buying a pie mold. I will be using a round cake mold to make the pie.

• Candice Myers
    September 5, 2021

I watched the video and it told me 6 tablespoons of cold water so I did that. But, everywhere else says 7 now. Which is the correct measurement? I already had them in the refrigerator. I hope they will be ok.

September 6, 2021

Hi Candice, if the dough is held together in a disk, it will be great. Look for the correct texture since there can be slight variations in flour measurements, ingredient temperatures, etc. It’s usually 6-7 Tbsp.

• Debra Black
    August 31, 2021

This is the absolute best pie crust recipe. I am amazed with the simplicity. My whole family had a hard time putting our fork down. Thank you so much for sharing!

August 31, 2021

It really is the best! I’m so happy you enjoyed that!

• Emily Amelia
    August 30, 2021

Wow thank you so much this recipe was so delicious, I had looked at many other recipes but they were so long and complicated. Yours is simple and convenient, love it, thanks again

August 30, 2021

You’re so nice! Thank you for that great feedback, Emily! I’m so happy you enjoyed this recipe!

• Lee Dunkle
        November 25, 2021

Hi Natasha! I made your pie dough today and enjoyed using it in our pumpkin pie. I was tired of using grocery refrigerated pie dough b/c the bottom of my pies were gooey. Thanks!

November 26, 2021

Hi Lee, homemade is always better so I’m happy to hear that you tried and loved it!

• Shanty Niez
    August 27, 2021

i love this crust recipe, my to go recipe. Can i make fruit tarts using this crust too?

August 27, 2021

Hi Shanty, I haven’t tested that as a tart, but it may work. If you experiment, let me know how you liked the recipe.

• Penny
    August 21, 2021

Sorry, but I found this crust to be far too buttery. I think one stick of butter would’ve sufficed. The dough was too soft & all I could taste was butter.

• Prairie Girl
    August 15, 2021

Hi Natasha, today I made this dough for an apple pie. It’s absolutely delicious. Flaky, light, not too sweet. Yum. Thank you as always for your amazing recipes.

August 15, 2021

That’s fantastic! Thank you so much for your good comments and feedback.

• Mike M
    August 12, 2021

I love your recipies! I have made your pie crust and it is great. Just wondering what you think about the 3-2-1 method pie crust recipies I see online? Basically more flour than what you recommend. Do you think that would be a much different outcome?

Thank You!

August 12, 2021

Hello Mike, great to hear that you’re enjoying my recipes! I’m honestly not sure how that would work to advise. If you personally do an experiment, we would love to know how it goes!

• Shida
    August 9, 2021

Hi Natasha, I’ve tried many of your recipes so far and the crust is the champion! I tried other recipe available in google, but never this good. It is flaky, buttery and remain its texture even the next day. I swear I can eat the crust alone! and the apple pie fillings, ughhh just soo soo good! btw, for my hot country temperature, i found putting 5tbsp of ice water is sufficient enough, 6 will make the batter too soggy. Thanks Natasha, your recipes are a keeper. Looking forward to try more from this blog

August 9, 2021

That’s just awesome! Thank you for sharing your wonderful review, Shida! It sounds like you have a new favorite pie crust! Thank you for sharing that tip with us!

• Ami B Johns
    August 3, 2021

I used this pie crust recipe last week to make a cherry pie. Today I’m using it again to make a pear fig pie. My friend gave me some pears and I have a fig tree so I can’t let all that fruit go to waste! This pie crust recipe is so easy, I use my food processor and it’s perfect every time. I also like your cream cheese pie crust but I don’t have cream cheese at the moment!

August 3, 2021

Hello Ami, great to hear that you’ve been using this pie crust recipe with different fillings. This has always been our go-to-recipe and we have always loved it too!

• Rahma
    July 19, 2021

Hi Natasha can i use a mixer instead of a food processor?

July 19, 2021

Hi Rahma, I havne’t tested this, but one of my readers shared that it worked great with an electric hand mixer. I hope this helps!

• Chris
    July 9, 2021

Hi Natasha! I don’t have a food processor, can I use blender?

July 9, 2021

Hi Chris, a handheld pastry blender will work, but a food processor will make the process much faster and easier. I can’t say a blender or mixer will work.

• Krissy
    July 9, 2021

Never mind on that freeze question. I read your entire blog. I do apologize

July 9, 2021

I’m glad you found the answer. I hope you love the pie crust.

• Margie
      August 29, 2021

Hi Natasha, can this be frozen and for how long?

August 29, 2021

Hi Margie, please see the section above titled “Can I make Pie Dough in Advance?”

• Krissy
    July 9, 2021

Can you freeze the pie crust and if so how long do they last in the freezer? Also how long would I need to thaw out before baking?

• Kay
    July 1, 2021

I’m making my first homemade crust. My Grans found pumpkin in my pantry. So they wanted a pumpkin pie. I had all the ingredients except for a pie crust. So I’ve tried my first try at making a homemade pie crust. It is in the fridge waiting for an hour for me to cook.

July 1, 2021

I hope you all love this recipe!!

• Bruce Fiora
    June 28, 2021

Pie crust recipe says 6 tbsp ice water in the video and 7 tbsp in the written recipe. I used 6 tbsp and it worked fine.

June 28, 2021

Thank you so much for sharing that with me.

• Cheryl
    June 20, 2021

Hi Natasha. I made chicken pot pie for Father’s Day and my family loves it especially your pie crust. Is it possible to to use the pie crust for frying? I’m thinking of of using your pie crust to make chicken puff.

June 21, 2021

Hello Cheryl, thanks for your good comments and feedback! I haven’t tried using this recipe that way to advise. If you do an experiment, please share with us how it goes.

• Samanta
    May 29, 2021

Hey Natasha , I am only 12 yrs old and i just tried the recipe, my pie just got out of the oven..

Just wanted to ask you why i have a few dark spots of my pie(on my lattice) , I am vegetarian and i did a milk wash instead of egg wash, is that probably the reason?

I am sorry if my english is not very great

May 29, 2021

Hi Samanta, that may be the culprit, but it’s hard to say without being there. I have tried a milk wash to advise that is it.

• Cheryl
    May 29, 2021

Hi Natasha. Can I use bread flour instead of all purpose flour for this recipe? I just realised I have 1 packet of bread flour which is expiring soon and thought I could use it for this recipe.

May 31, 2021

Hi Cheryl, I haven’t tried bread flour for pie crust so I can’t say for sure how it would change the texture, but I suspect it could work.

• Anu
    May 28, 2021

I used this recipe for my apple pie yesterday and it turned out great. I want to know if I want to make a healthier version of the crust with whole wheat flour and less butter, what will the proportions be?

May 28, 2021

Hi Anu, I haven’t tried it with whole wheat flour, but I assume you would have to use less flour and it would end up more dense using all whole wheat flour.

• Christine Hojas
    May 25, 2021

Hi Natasha, I made Lemon Bar Yesterday and they were sooooo good. My husband loves them. The only problem is why my Dough came out hard if after 3days in the Fridge but anyway maybe i over bake my dough, They are great by the way. Thank You so much for sharing. I Love all your Cooking. Great Job. Thanks for sharing, Take Care Be Safe. God Bless.

May 25, 2021

I’m so happy you enjoyed that. Thank you for sharing that with us, Christine!

• Linda
    May 23, 2021

I just came across your website and watched some videos right away! You make everything look so easy to try, even if I’m feeling intimidated!
    I’m really eager to try this apple pie but am wondering if I can use the pie dough recipe for a 10in pie plate or do I need to go buy a 9in now?

May 24, 2021

Hi Linda, I’m so happy you discovered our blog. Welcome! 🙂 A ten-inch pan will work, you’ll just have to roll it slightly bigger. You can also adjust the recipe to make more pie crust.

• Diana
    May 8, 2021

Is it possible to use salted butter if I don’t have unsalted?

May 8, 2021

Hi Diana, I use unsalted butter for baking not only because I can control the salt content, but salted butter has additional moisture in it compared to unsalted. I think this would still work with salted butter, but you would want to omit the salt. I hope you love this pie crust recipe!

• Sara
    May 3, 2021

Hi Natasha, is it okay to do half the instructions (to make only 1 disk)?

May 4, 2021

Hi Sara! I bet that could work!

• Yvonne osbourne
    May 1, 2021

Natasha is my favorite chef. I have tried a few a few of her videos and it’s always perfection! Big u p yourself Natasha

May 1, 2021

Thank you for that wonderful compliment, Yvonne!

• Lena
    April 28, 2021

I’ve made this recipe before but currently don’t own a food processor. I followed the recipe step-by-step and used the kitchen aid mixer with the paddle attachment instead of the food processor. I also grated the butter and added it slowly to the flour mixture so it doesn’t clump up. Worked great and came together so fast. Results came out very similar to using a food processor. Wanted to share in case anyone else doesn’t own a food processor. My Chicken Pot Pie from your blog turned out delicious! Made a double batch to bake an Apple Pie for the weekend.

April 29, 2021

Hello Lena, I’m happy that you’re enjoying my recipes! Thanks for sharing that with us, that’s definitely so helpful.

• Liz Sappington
        May 2, 2021

Im going to be baking a pie on tuesday but it calls for baking the crust first. Could you please tell me how long to bake it for and at what temp? I made the dough earlier and its chilling in my fridge. Im so excited to try it out.

May 3, 2021

Hi Liz, it sounds like you are looking to pre-bake the crust. Please see the section above titled “How to Pre-bake Pie Crust (Blindbake)”

• Diana
      May 8, 2021

I came to search the comments as I don’t have a large enough food processor so this is great! Going to try it out with the kitchen aid mixer. Thanks so much!

• Janet
    April 27, 2021

Why does your peach pie recipe crust have cream cheese in it? But your blueberry pie recipe does not? I am looking for the best flaky sweet shortcrust recipe for tarts and I would assume it would be the same kind of recipe for a pie. But there are so many recipes out there and I’ve tried so many and none of them work. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Will you please help me.

April 29, 2021

Hi Janet, they are just two very different pie crusts. If I had to choose a favorite it would be this easy pie crust, but for a tart, another one that would work well is the shortbread crust that we used in our Lemon Bars recipe. Mix it until it’s a dough and then put it into your tart pan.

• kate
    April 18, 2021

hi, I wanted to know if I can substitute white flour for spelt and if I can use oil\ margarine instead of butter?

April 18, 2021

Hi Kate, I haven’t tested those substitutions so I can’t say how it would affect the texture and bake of the crust.

• Deborah Ramirez
    April 5, 2021

If I don’t have a food processer can I use my mixer instead for the pie crust.

April 5, 2021

Hi Deborah, a handheld pastry blender will work, but a food processor will make the process much faster and easier. I can’t say a blender or mixer will work.

• Sidrah Sanaullah
      April 18, 2021

I made this same recipe with a hand held mixer and it turned just fine! All though the process was much longer

April 18, 2021

Thank you for sharing that it worked great for you with an electric hand mixer.

• MT
    April 4, 2021

I live in a very hot and humid country so working on this dough is a real challenge. I had to move very fast when I noticed that the butter in the dough started to melt. Amazing pie crust though! So flaky and I have never tasted anything better! Even my mom agrees!

April 4, 2021

Awesome! Thanks for your wonderful review and feedback. We appreciate it.

• LeRae
        April 16, 2021

This recipe looks amazing but my only thing is, can i use a blender because i don’t have a food processor? And also do i have to refrigerate for an hour because i have to make this right away for dessert for dinner and i really don’t have an hour.

April 16, 2021

Hi LeRae, a handheld pastry blender will work, but a food processor will make the process much faster and easier. I can’t say a blender will work.

• Jean Franke
    March 29, 2021

If making this for a savory pie, do you leave the sugar out?

March 29, 2021

Hi Jean, I honestly haven’t tried any substitutions, but savory pies are often made with the same dough, just omitting the sugar altogether. It will still work as a savory pie dough if you omit the sugar 🙂

• Lauren
    March 25, 2021

I followed this recipe exactly and it came out perfect!! The dough should be slightly crumbly/dry while in the food processor as it sticks together nicely once it is gathered into a ball on a floured countertop.
    I made your Chicken Pot Pie recipe with this pie crust for my grandparents, and they both continue to rave about it being the best pie and crust they’ve ever had, and how they could just eat the crust on its own (they’re in their 80s!). Thanks so much for my new go-to pie crust!

March 25, 2021

Wow! I’m so happy to hear that! Thank you for sharing your great review, Lauren!

• Linda
    March 14, 2021

My dough was hard to roll and it kept cracking/breaking on the edges. I used 7 tblsp of ice water and refrigerated it for 1 hr. Don’t know what I did wrong. I managed to get them in the pie pan. (I made the apple pie). The lattice crust was too much work for me at this point! It looked nice, though

March 15, 2021

Hi Linda, it sounds like it could have used a little more water, or had a little too much flour. Check out our post on how to measure which may help for next time.

• Mychel (Michelle)
    February 19, 2021

can you use a blender instead of a food processor to pulse it?

February 20, 2021

Hi Mychel, a handheld pastry blender will work, but a food processor will make the process much faster and easier. I can’t say a blender will work.

• Amelia B
      March 5, 2021

I made it by hands and the crust came out beautifully, super buttery and flaky, it’s the best pie crust I’ve ever made. I made sure my butter and water were as cold as they can be, and ran my hands thru super cold water and wiped dry before starting working the butter into the dough, work fast! I did freeze the pie disks overnight though, I think that helped as well.

March 5, 2021

Thank you so much for sharing that with me. I’m happy you enjoyed that!

• Alena Priddy
    February 15, 2021

Natasha, now do you bake it once it’s been in fridge for an hour? Thank you!

February 15, 2021

Hi Alena, I would follow the same recipe instructions as listed but add a few minutes if it doesn’t look completely done.

• Paul M
    February 15, 2021

My first EVER pie dough and a rare use of my food processor. The hardest part about this recipe was actually remembering where I had put it. LOL

So simple and easy, and this makes a great pie dough for the chicken pot pie. Also the trick of using the rolling pin to help roll the dough out onto the pie plate was fantastic!

February 15, 2021

Thank you for your great feedback, Paul I’m happy to know that you enjoyed the recipe!

• Beth E Collins
    February 12, 2021

What if you don’t have a food processor

February 12, 2021

Hi Beth, a pastry blender will work, but a food processor will make the process much faster and easier.