Mini Pumpkin Pies (VIDEO)
Mini Pumpkin Pies are literally easier than pie! You’ll love the buttery crust and creamy pumpkin center topped with whipped cream. They are perfect for Thanksgiving and almost too cute to eat (ALMOST).
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Mini Pumpkin Pie Video Tutorial
If you enjoyed this video for individual pumpkin pies, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel (P.S. Click the BELL icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video). Thank you for subscribing!
Individual Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Mini Pumpkin Pies are everything you love about Classic Pumpkin Pie, but they are easier to make. There’s no need to pre-bake the crust, plus the baking and cooling time is quicker so you can be on your way to satisfying your craving for pumpkin pie sooner.
Tools to make baking easier
I get so many questions about the tools I use in my kitchen and here’s a rundown of the items that will make this recipe easier and quicker to make.
- 12-count non-stick cupcake pan
- Cake release tool
- Mixing Bowl
- Wire Rack – optional but handy
- Rolling Pin (I use a French rolling pin, but any kind will work)
- 3 1/2” Round Cookie Cutter, or use the lid from a wide-mouth quart-sized jar which happens to be exactly 3 1/2″ in diameter.
Ingredients for Mini Pumpkin Pies
- Pie dough – 1 homemade pie dough disk or 2 store-bought pie disks (the rolled-up refrigerated kind). In my testing, the homemade pie dough was significantly more enjoyable.
- Pumpkin puree – Libby’s brand canned pumpkin puree is best
- Egg – you’ll need 1 large egg plus one large yolk. Helps the pie filling to set properly.
- Sugar – we combine packed light brown sugar and granulated sugar to sweeten the pie without making the filling too dark.
- Pumpkin pie spice – using a store-bought spice is a big time saver without having to make your own pumpkin spice.
- Cinnamon – really brings out the pumpkin flavor
- Salt – it’s just a little. bit of salt but it balances the sweetness of the pie.
- Vanilla extract – we love using our homemade extract which has just 2 ingredients, but storebought works great.
- Evaporated milk – we use whole evaporated milk (not skim or low fat).
How to Make Mini Pumpkin Pies
- Roll pie dough to 1/8” thick on a floured surface. Cut 12 (3 1/2” diameter) circles. Re-roll scraps of homemade pie dough if needed to get 12.
- Grease a 12-count non-stick muffin pan lightly with cooking spray and place dough rounds inside of each cup, molding it to the sides of the muffin cups.
- Make the filling – In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, 1 egg, 1 yolk, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Gradually whisk in evaporated milk.
- Bake at 350˚F for 30-40 minutes or until tops of crusts are golden brown. Homemade crust take longer while storebought crust bakes faster.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and cool to room temperature before topping with whipped cream.
The Best Pumpkin Puree
We highly recommend using Libby’s brand pure pumpkin puree for making pumpkin pie.
Why? Libby’s is thick and concentrated in texture, color, and flavor, which results in a thicker pumpkin pie filling that will set properly. I have tested different brands which resulted in a watery filling that takes forever to bake and creates a soggier crust. Save yourself some trouble and try Libby’s before experimenting with anything else.
- To Refrigerate – allow mini pies to cool completely on your counter, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate up to 5 days. Garnish with whipped cream and cinnamon just before serving.
- Freezing: once cooled to room temperature, place in a freeze zip lock bag or freezer container, remove excess air and freeze up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
How to Serve
Serve Mini Pumpkin Pies chilled or at room temperature. Just before serving, top with a big puff of sweetened whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Homemade whipped cream tastes best (see recipe below). I use a Piping Bag fitted with a Large Open Star Tip, but you can also dollop the whipped cream over the top with a spoon. Store-bought whipped cream also works if you are short on time.
More Fall Baking Recipes to try
If you love the cozy flavors of Fall, then you won’t want to miss these Fall baking projects. P.S. If you’re looking for some savory baking, you’ll love our Chicken Pot Pie.
Mini Pumpkin Pies Recipe
Mini Pumpkin Pies are easier than pie and they are the ultimate Fall treat. You’ll love the buttery crust and creamy pumpkin center topped with whipped cream. These Individual Pumpkin Pies are everything you love about Classic Pumpkin Pie, but they are easier to make.
Mini Pumpkin Pie Ingredients:
Ingredients for Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
How to Make Mini Pumpkin Pies
Unroll pie crusts or roll homemade pie dough into 1/8” thick on a floured surface. Cut 3 1/2” circles using a cookie cutter or the lid from a wide-mouth quart-sized jar will work great. Should get 12 disks total. If using homemade pie dough, you will need to re-roll scraps to get 12 rounds of dough.
Grease a 12-count non-stick muffin pan lightly with cooking spray and place dough rounds inside of each cup, molding the dough to the sides of the muffin cups.
In a large bowl, make the filling: whisk together pumpkin puree, 1 egg, 1 yolk, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Gradually whisk in evaporated milk and whisk until combined. Divide the filling between the muffin cups. You should have just enough to fill them up.
Bake at 350˚F for 30-40 minutes or until the tops of crusts are golden brown (Homemade crust takes longer to bake and is closer to 40 minutes, while store-bought bakes in about 30 minutes).
Cool in pan 10 minutes then run a knife or cake release tool around the edges to help release and transfer to a wire rack and cool to room temperature. Once cool, pipe with whipped cream and dusted with cinnamon.
How to Make Whipped Cream
Beat heavy cream for 1 minute until soft peaks form then add 3 Tbsp granulated sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and beat for 2 minutes or until it's pipeable is no longer runny. Do not overbeat.