This Waffle Recipe is our go-to for breakfast and is so versatile for sweet or savory waffles, American or Belgian waffles.

We’re sharing our secret for super fluffy waffles that are crisp on the outside with a soft center. Watch the video tutorial and see how easy it is.

Stack of waffles with berries

Waffle Recipe Video Tutorial

If you enjoyed this easy waffles video, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel (P.S. Click the BELL icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video). Thanks for subscribing!

Why You Will Love These Waffles

• EASY – The waffle batter uses pantry and fridge staple ingredients and comes together in one bowl, plus it can be made ahead.
  • Versatile – you can add just about any mix-in from chocolate chips to blueberries and even use the base for savory waffles.
  • Tasty – a waffle should taste great on its own even before the toppings are added and this base has great flavor.
  • Super Fluffy – the soft center of a homemade waffle batter is hard to match with frozen store-bought waffles which are usually dense and flat.
Ingredients for making homemade waffles

Tips for the Best Waffles

Here are our secrets to making the best homemade waffles. It will ensure your waffles rise well and have that perfect crispy exterior and soft interior.

• Whip eggs and sugar – Beat on high speed with an electric handheld mixer for 3 minutes until they are fluffy and increase in volume. Incorporating air into the eggs and sugar helps the waffles rise. You can vigorously whip by hand but it will take longer.
  • Leave lumps in your batter – Over-mixing develops the gluten more and results in tough waffles. The batter should be lumpy.
best fluffy waffles stacked on a plate

How to Make Waffles

1. Beat eggs and sugar on high speed for 3 minutes until fluffy and whipped.
  2. Add remaining wet ingredients: oil, milk, and vanilla
  3. Add dry ingredients – in a small bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt then add to the batter.
  4. Beat on low speed until combined, but still lumpy (don’t overmix)
  5. Heat waffle press – we set our All-Clad press to 3, but adjust your settings to your desired crispiness then spray lightly with cooking spray if needed.
  6. Make Waffles – use a scoop or ladle to pour just enough batter to fill the grooves. Leave some room for expansion. Serve warm.
Hot waffles on wire rack

Serving Tip: To keep waffles warm while cooking batches, place waffles on a wire rack and set them inside of a baking sheet. Keep warm in a 175˚F oven. Avoid keeping in the warm oven for longer than 30 minutes so they don’t dry out.

Add-Ins and Variations

• Chocolate – add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips and stir the batter between each scoop as the chocolate settles at the bottom.
  • Blueberries – add 1 cup fresh blueberries or toss 1 cup frozen blueberries with 1 tsp flour then stir into the batter. Don’t over-mix or the batter will discolor.
  • Whole Wheat Flour – sub the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour to get Whole Wheat Waffles.
  • Zest – adding zest from 1 to 2 lemons or zest from an orange will infuse your waffles with great flavor.
  • Savory – use the same waffle base and top plain waffles with sliced avocado, and poached egg. We add a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and paprika.
Savory waffle with avocado and poached egg

Common Questions

Should the waffle maker be steaming?

Seeing the lid rising slightly and the steam escaping is normal and means your waffle is puffing appropriately.

What if the batter is leaking out?

If you see batter spurting out of the sides, you’ve used too much batter.

Can I make these without a waffle iron?

You can butter a skillet and use this same batter to make yummy pancakes.

What is the best waffle maker?

Our favorite is our All-Clad waffle iron because it makes a bigger batch at once and doesn’t stick, but a Belgian waffle maker is also great and we’ve had one for years. This recipe works in both.

How do I know when waffles are done?

The exterior should be golden and crispy. If it looks pale, close the lid and continue to cook another minute or until the desired color is reached. Most waffles take between 3-5 minutes and you can always close the lid and cook longer if needed.

Waffles with varying degrees of doneness.

Serve With

Waffles are such a treat for breakfast, with simple toppings or you can even create a breakfast waffle charcuterie board with all your favorite toppings:

Waffles served with syrup and berries

Make-Ahead

Pre-make the Batter: Make the batter, cover, and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Lightly whisk the batter before using it in case any ingredients have separated.

Refrigerate or Freeze Waffles: Cool waffles on a wire rack then transfer to an airtight container or large ziplock bag and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use. Reheat from frozen in a toaster or air fryer to re-crisp.

Freezer friendly waffles in freezer bag

You just can’t top fluffy and fresh homemade waffles. I hope this waffle recipe becomes a favorite breakfast for you.

More Family Favorite Breakfasts

Natasha's Kitchen Cookbook

Fluffy Waffle Recipe (VIDEO)

Author: Natasha Kravchuk
Stack of homemade waffles with berries
Homemade waffles are so easy. These are crisp on the outside with a light and fluffy center. You can add just about any mix-in from chocolate chips to blueberries and even use the base for savory waffles.
Total Time: 25 minutes

Servings: 6 people (makes 12 regular waffles)

• In a large mixing bowl beat together 2 eggs and 2 Tbsp sugar at high speed for 3 minutes until fluffy.
  • Add remaining wet ingredients in this order: oil, milk, and vanilla
  • Stir 4 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt into the 2 cups of flour then add dry ingredients to the bowl.
  • Beat on low speed just until combined. Do not over mix – the batter should have small lumps.
  • Preheat waffle iron (we set ours to 3). Grease waffle iron if needed (some non-stick waffle makers don’t need to be sprayed or brushed with oil).
  • Once the waffle iron is preheated, spray with cooking oil or brush the grates (if needed), then add enough batter to just barely fill the grooves. Leave some space for expansion. Cover and cook until the timer is done or to the desired golden-crispiness. Use plastic or silicone tongs to remove the waffle and serve warm.

Nutrition Per Serving

383kcal Calories41g Carbs8g Protein20g Fat3g Saturated Fat1g Trans Fat58mg Cholesterol152mg Sodium440mg Potassium1g Fiber8g Sugar214IU Vitamin A216mg Calcium3mg Iron
Fluffy Waffle Recipe (VIDEO)
Amount per Serving

Calcium

216
mg
Iron

mg
Course: Breakfast
Keyword: homemade waffles, waffle recipe
Cost to Make: $

Comments

• Renee Khmoro
    November 28, 2023

Hi I have made this for the second time around now and we love them! I sliced some banana and added some fresh whipped cream and a little bit of maple syrup…..divine! its so good! Natasha you are always my go to! thank you!

• NatashasKitchen.com
      November 29, 2023

That sounds wonderful, Renee! Thank you so much for the feedback!

• Polina
    November 15, 2023

Perfect waffles recipe! Crunchy on the outside and fluffy in the inside! My kids were over the moon for these and said, “Mmm, it tastes like Christmas!” 😋

November 15, 2023

I’m so happy you enjoyed that. Thank you for sharing that with us, Polina!

• Ron
    October 16, 2023

Great recipe! They came out light and fluffy. They were a big hit with the family. I had mine with fresh apple butter and they were amazing!

• NatashasKitchen.com
      October 16, 2023

So glad they were a hit, Ron!

• Nic
    September 12, 2023

Excellent recipe! Followed exactly and made Belgian waffles, had no issues with sticking and they were light and fluffy and tasted amazing! Thankful to have found this one; it’s a keeper!

• NatashasKitchen.com
      September 12, 2023

That’s wonderful, Nic! So glad you loved it.

• Monique
    July 25, 2023

Super easy to make and is very delicious with ice cream. I love your recipes and videos.

• NatashasKitchen.com
      July 25, 2023

Hi Monique! I’m so glad to hear that! Thank you the feedback.

• Vivian Gyamfi
    June 9, 2023

How much medium Eggs do I need to use since I have no large eggs

• NatashasKitchen.com
      June 9, 2023

Hi Vivian, you may be able to use the same amount. I found these guidelines with a quick Google search. 3 large eggs are equivalent to: 3 medium eggs, 3 extra-large eggs, 2 jumbo eggs. 4 large eggs are equivalent to: 5 medium eggs, 4 extra-large eggs, 3 jumbo eggs. 5 large eggs are equivalent to: 6 medium eggs, 4 extra-large eggs, 4 jumbo eggs. I hope that helps.

• Robyn H
    March 6, 2023

I love you and all your recipes, however this one stumps me. I have a nice Breville waffle iron and I make waffles very often. This recipe stuck to the waffle iron! What did I do wrong???

March 8, 2023

Hi Robyn, did you make sure to put oil in the batter (without cutting back on oil) and also make sure to grease the grate of the waffle iron and fully preheat. If the waffle iron isn’t fully preheated it’s more likely to stick. I hope that helps.

• Brit
      May 14, 2023

Easy ingredients! However, the waffle batter also stuck to my waffle maker too 🙁 . I sprayed oil on the waffle grates and didn’t skimp on the 1/2 cup of olive oil either, but the batter still stuck :/.

• JudyG.
    March 2, 2023

Ve made this waffle recipe several times now. I made it today and accidentally forgot to add the 1/2 cup oil to recipe. Waffles turned still crispy outside but still fluffy texture inside waffle. This is the best waffle/pancake recipe ever I’ve ever made!

March 2, 2023

I’m so happy you enjoyed that. Thank you for sharing that with us, Judy!

• Halima
    February 13, 2023

I’ve been searching for a delicious waffle recipe and finally found one! The technique is pretty important so I strongly suggest you see the video and definitely do not cook over 3 on the waffle iron. My 4 settings came out crunchy and a bit hard; 3 settings came out perfect! I’m going to try with melted butter instead of vegetable oil for more flavor next time. Although, the flavor was really good.

Questions:
    Have you tried the Aluminum free Baking soda advertised? Is it still light and fluffy?
    Will my suggested melted butter replacement change the texture of the waffle?
    Thanks for the recipe and response in advance.

Halima F.

February 15, 2023

Hi Halima, we always use aluminum free baking powder (I think you meant baking powder since there is no baking soda in this recipe). And we prefer aluminum free because it doesn’t have a metallic taste to it and aluminum is considered an unhealthy ingredient. Here’s a good article on why it’s better to use aluminum free baking powder.

• Lori
    January 22, 2023

After seeing several “crispy” waffle recipes calling for cornstarch and resting the ingredients, I was so happy to find THIS one. I’m not kidding when I say these waffles are PERFECT! It took my hand mixer a good 8 minutes for the eggs/sugar to reach the fluffy consistency shown in the video. I also added a dash of cinnamon to the dry ingredients. This one is a definite keeper!

January 22, 2023

What an awesome review! Thank you so much for sharing your experience trying out this recipe, Lori. We’re glad that you love it!

• Matt T
    December 22, 2022

Hey Natasha, I love adding a dash of almond extract, like .5 teaspoon. Used to only do it in pancakes, but it’s great in this recipe too. Or a little grand marnier. Thanks for all the great recipes, I used to be very strict chef John only, but I love yours too!

• NatashasKitchen.com
      December 22, 2022

Hi Matt! The almond extract sounds yummy! Thank you for sharing. I’m so glad you loved the recipe.

• Yana
    December 1, 2022

Y’all this is THE BEST waffle recipe out there. I almost never have buttermilk or fancy milks out there to make waffles so when I saw that I could use regular milk I had to try it. The first time I made them they were AMAZING! My hubby who likes pancakes more was in love and so were my brother in laws. They are the fluffiest, yummiest waffles ever. I’ve already made them twice and refrigerated in 2 weeks and I still have some batter in my fridge. Definitely my go to waffle recipe. I’m going to have to memorize it bc it’s so delicious.

December 1, 2022

Love this! Thanks a lot for your great comments and feedback, Yana. Hope that you will love all the recipes that you will try from our website!

• Jesse
    November 20, 2022

Beef Stroganoff and Salmon Cakes Recipes both came out great. I may have tweaked something here or there due to circumstances. I cook professionally, and like to do research before cooking whether it’s something I’m familiar with or a dish that’s new to me. On more than a couple occasions I’ve found myself differing to your judgment over some of the well known “celebrity” chefs. Nothing wrong with tweaking an ingredient here or there if it gets desirable results. I also enjoy the way your videos are edited/produced. Very positive vibes without being too sterile or corny. Thanks Natasha.

November 20, 2022

You’re welcome and no worries, it’s totally fine. I hope you’l love all the recipes that you will try!

• Rebecca
    October 16, 2022

I was wondering how long would the waffles last in et he freezer for?

October 16, 2022

Hi Rebecca, I have not tried freezing them for more than 1 month.

• Violeta
    October 12, 2022

You are the best, Thanks for all the delicious recipes 👍

• NatashasKitchen.com
      October 12, 2022

Aww, thank you!

• Diana
    October 1, 2022

Hi Natasha can you write please exactly on gr., when you saying 1 cups, please say exactly it’s 250gr cup,or 125 gr cup you use, when you say 1 cup?

October 1, 2022

Hi Diana, If you scroll down to our printable recipe card, most of our recipes have a metric conversion option on the printable recipe card. We are currently working on adding metric measurements to all of our recipes, but it is taking some time to add them one at a time. Thank you so much for being patient! In the meantime, check out our post on measuring which should help.

• Alisha
    September 9, 2022

Thank you for your waffle recipe. If I just refrigerate these over night, for how long should I put them into the oven for to reheat in the morning? And what temperature, so waffles are warm and crispy? (I just have to make a lot.) Thank you in advance for your advise on this!

September 9, 2022

Hi Alisha! You can definitely reheat this using your air fryer but I haven’t personally tested it yet to advise of the timing and temperature. If you do an experiment, please share with us how it goes.

• Deb
    August 21, 2022

Made these waffles as the recipe called for and they were out of this world. Even the batter tasted great. Love your recipes. My go to website for recipes. Thanks!

August 21, 2022

That’s so inspiring for me, Deb. Thank you so much for sharing that with us!

• Malacha
    August 8, 2022

Best Waffles ever. Tender and yummy. My husband loved them.

• NatashasKitchen.com
      August 8, 2022

So glad they were enjoyed!

• Shoua Thao
    July 31, 2022

I tried making your waffle but when I whipped the eggs and sugar it did not get fluffy and I used and electric hand mixer. What did I do wrong?

July 31, 2022

I’ve never had this issue before, did you beat it on high speed with your electric handheld mixer until it became fluffy?