Hamburger Soup Recipe
Hamburger Soup is loaded with tender ground beef, diced tomatoes, and an assortment of veggies. It’s so hearty and satisfying,
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
What is Hamburger Soup?
Hamburger soup is a classic, all-American staple made with lean ground beef, tangy tomato broth, and plenty of veggies. It has all the satisfaction of biting into a juicy hamburger, paired with the comfort of a Tomato Soup.
It’s also quick and simple to make and takes about 45 minutes from start to finish.
Ingredients for Ground Beef Soup
- Aromatic Vegetables – Onions, carrots, and garlic celery are the go-to base for an amazing soup. By cooking them in the pot first, you release amazing aromatics that add such a key depth of flavor to your hamburger soup. If you want an extra serving of veggies, add in some spinach, kale, or green beans.
- Lean Ground Beef – Opt for 85% lean ground beef (or even leaner) to prevent your soup from coming out too oily. You can even swap the ground beef out for ground turkey.
- Tomato Paste – enriches the tomato-y flavor of the soup and also helps to thicken it up.
- Canned Diced Tomatoes – any brand will work, but note that some brands have more added sugar or salt than others so season to taste.
- Beef Broth – Use homemade if you have it, or use storebought broth.
- Potatoes – Yukon gold potatoes work best and add a nice, natural buttery flavor.
- Italian Seasoning – Use your favorite dried Italian seasoning blend or make your own by combing a couple of shakes of dried basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and marjoram.
- Salt and Pepper– add to taste, especially at the end of cooking.
- Fresh Parsley – adding some fresh chopped parsley as a garnish really takes this soup to the next level.
How to Make Hamburger Soup
Once you have all the ingredients prepped, this soup comes together in a pinch.
- Cook the Veggies: Preheat a large pot with oil and add in the chopped vegetables. Sauté over medium-high heat until softened.
- Brown the Ground Beef: Add the ground beef to the soup pot and cook it until it turns golden brown.
- Finish Building the Soup: Stir in the diced tomatoes, minced garlic, tomato paste, potatoes, and beef broth. Season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a Boil: Bring the soup to a boil. Turn the heat down to a simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste, garnish with chopped parsley and enjoy.
Pro Tip: A dutch oven is one of our favorite kitchen tools for making soup. This 5 1/2 Qt Dutch Oven is our go-to. It conducts heat well and can go from the stovetop to the oven. A good pot can last a lifetime.
Hamburger soup is a great option for making ahead of time and meal prep. Why? The soup continues to develop its flavor as it marinates in the fridge. To keep it fresh for up to 5 days, store it in an airtight container in the fridge. This will also prevent it from absorbing any lingering smells that might be hanging out in your fridge.
Note: Avoid storing leftover hamburger soup in the freezer. The cooked veggies do not reheat well.
This hamburger soup is a filling meal in and of itself, but if you’re looking for more well-rounded meal pair the soup with your favorite green salad, a Grilled Cheese Sandwich, or any of these homemade bread recipes:
Using a slow cooker is a great option. Simply sauté the veggies, brown the ground beef, and throw all the ingredients in for 2-4 hours on high.
Adding macaroni to this soup is definitely a welcome addition. Add the pasta in during the last 12-15 minutes of cooking time or boil them in a separate pot and then add them in. P.S. If you love pasta in soup, make sure to try our Tortellini Soup.
To add a bit of smokiness, add a teaspoon of smoked paprika or Worcestershire sauce to the soup. For spicy soup, add some cayenne pepper.
You can thicken up the soup with more tomato paste or Alternatively, create a slurry of 3 water and 1 Tbsp cornstarch and stir it into the pot, making sure to return to a boil.
More Comforting Soup Recipes
I hope this soup recipe ends up on your regular soup rotation. A bowl of Hamburger Soup will warm your belly in the cold winter months. It’s so soothing and satisfying.
Hamburger Soup Recipe
This Hamburger Soup is loaded with tender ground beef, diced tomatoes, and hearty veggies. A warming and comforting soup recipe that is perfect for the cooler months.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 sticks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef, 85% or leaner
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 8 cups beef broth
- 2 large yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
Preheat a 5 1/2 qt dutch oven or soup pot with olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrots, and celery into the pot. Sauté the veggies until softened.
Add the ground beef, breaking it apart as you go. Cook it until it turns golden brown.
Stir in the diced tomatoes, minced garlic, tomato paste, potatoes, and beef broth. Season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Season to taste and serve garnished with chopped parsley.