Easy Cabbage Soup Recipe
This hearty Cabbage Soup tastes like Cabbage Rolls but it’s easier and so comforting. It’s loaded with ground beef, veggies, and cabbage in a hearty tomato broth.
Cabbage is one of those staple fall and winter vegetables that are inexpensive and so versatile. We use it in some of our favorite recipes like Cabbage Casserole, or Coleslaw, and of course this Cabbage Soup.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Cabbage Roll Soup Ingredients
This recipe calls for basic ingredients you may already have on hand and it comes together quickly. It’s an easy, one-pot, stovetop cabbage soup recipe.
- Cabbage -use green cabbage. We like to cube the cabbage but you can shred the cabbage.
- Broth – Though we used beef broth, you can substitute for vegetable or chicken broth.
- Tomatoes – canned diced tomatoes and tomato sauce produce a richly flavored base.
- Ground beef – We prefer lean 80/20 ground beef.
- Celery, onion, and carrot – aromatics that add amazing flavor.
- Garlic – for the best taste, use freshly minched garlic
- Seasoning – We use salt and pepper but you can change it up and use your favorite seasonings.
- Bay leaves – Whole bay leaves add another layer of flavor
- Brown sugar – balances out the acidity of tomatoes
- Herbs – You can use fresh parsley, cilantro, dill, or combine all 3.
How to Make Cabbage Soup
- Saute beef – In a dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, saute the ground beef, breaking it up as it browns.
- Add onion and garlic – Add the chopped onion to the ground beef and saute until tender then add the minced garlic and cook 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add veggies and simmer – Add the carrots, celery, cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaves, salt, pepper, brown sugar, and broth, and stir. Tip: for extra veggies, try adding green beans to the soup. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add herbs – Remove the bay leaves, add in the fresh herbs, and season to taste.
Pro Tip: If you prefer a spicy soup, add jalapeno or red pepper flakes to the soup. You can also add it with the sour cream when serving.
Yes, brown the ground beef and onions and then add all the ingredients to the soup into the slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours and or high for 4-5 hours. Add herbs and allow the soup to cook for another 5 minutes.
You can substitute ground beef for ground turkey, ground pork, or Italian sausage.
Add rice when adding the veggies and cook for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
This cabbage soup can easily be made vegetarian, just omit the ground beef, use vegetable broth and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Refrigerating – Once the soup has cooled to room temperature, cover leftover soup and store in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freezing – Add the cooled soup to an airtight container and freeze for about 2-3 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw in the refrigerator overnight then reheat the next day.
- To Reheat – add the desired portion to a saucepan over medium heat until warm or microwave portions in a microwave safe container, heating to your desired temperature.
Cabbage Soup is a warming and soothing soup that is hearty and so satisfying. This recipe also reheats well so you’ll love having leftovers.
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love
Easy Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef, 80% or 85%
- 2 Tbsp oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups green cabbage, chopped, from ½ large head
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, parsley, or cilantro
- In a dutch oven, heat 1 Tbsp oil over med/high heat. Once hot, saute the ground beef for about 4-5 minutes or until cooked through, breaking it apart with a spatula as it's cooked. Season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste.
- Once the meat is browned, add 1 Tbsp oil and chopped onion, and saute for about 2-3 minutes or until onions are tender. Add in the minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add in the chopped cabbage, carrot, celery, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, 1 tsp salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Stir to combine and bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and add in the fresh herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.