Classic Wedge Salad Recipe
This easy Wedge Salad Recipe makes for the perfect side dish or lunch. Crisp iceberg lettuce topped with salad dressing, tomatoes, croutons, bacon, eggs, and crumbled blue cheese.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This salad is such an easy recipe yet packed with so many flavors. The cold iceberg lettuce combined with the toppings and the Ranch dressing is so satisfying. It’s like a classic salad but made quickly and is so appealing to serve.
What is a Wedge Salad?
It’s easy to tell the difference between a classic chopped salad and a wedge salad. A classic salad is chopped romaine tossed together with desired ingredients and then mixed in salad dressing. A wedge salad is a fancier way of serving a salad with iceberg lettuce that is quartered and then topped with dressing and ingredients and cut up as you eat it.
- Lettuce – You’ll need whole iceberg lettuce, best if it is cold
- Tomatoes – Cherry tomatoes halved or any chopped heirloom tomatoes will work
- Bacon – Use the Air Fryer Bacon or Oven-Baked Bacon to get perfectly crispy bacon
- Eggs – This recipe calls for chopped boiled eggs
- Croutons – Homemade croutons or storebought will work great
- Blue Cheese – This is the classic ingredient for this salad
- Dressing – you can use either blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing (see below for more options)
How to Make Wedge Salad
This salad can be ready in no time, with just 15 minutes you can have this recipe!
- Cook the bacon and eggs, and allow to cool.
- Cut lettuce – slice the iceberg into 4 equal parts or wedges. Gently rinse and pat dry the quarters to remove any hidden dirt.
- Assemble – Add each quarter of lettuce (wedge) onto a plate and top with salad dressing, then add toppings.
- Serve – add freshly cracked black pepper and blue cheese crumbles and enjoy.
Wedge Salad Toppings
Since iceberg lettuce and the dressing are so versatile, there are so many different toppings options that you can add to the salad. Here are some popular add-ins:
- Banana peppers
- Mini bell peppers
- Chopped ham
- Instant Pot Beets
- Chopped chives
- Cheese – such as parmesan, feta cheese, goat cheese, fresh mozzarella, or part-skim shredded mozzarella.
- Dressing – Creamy Caesar Dressing, Avocado Ranch, or Jalapeno Ranch
Pro Tip: To eat a wedge salad, you’ll need a knife and fork. Secure the wedge with your fork and cut off bite-sized pieces, making sure to include toppings with every bite.
Commonly Asked Questions
Bacon and egg add great protein to the salad, but you can also add chicken, steak, and even shrimp. Cut them into bite-sized pieces and add when serving.
Yes, you totally can make up to one day in advance. Cut all the toppings and keep them stored separately, then assemble the salad before serving.
You can totally substitute blue cheese dressing for ranch and leave out the blue cheese crumbles or add them in for extra texture and flavor.
Yes, you can just half the romaine lengthwise or a larger head of romaine into quarters and assemble it the same way with great results.
This salad makes for a great side dish or starter and it’s definitely fitting for any dinner party. Pair this salad with one of these popular entrees:
Iceberg Wedge Salad
- Rinse and remove any wilted leaves from the iceberg lettuce. Cut the lettuce in half and then cut in half again, resulting in four quarters. Cut off fibrous stems. Gently rinse and pat dry the quarters to remove any hidden dirt.
- Add a wedge to a plate and drizzle the salad dressing over the lettuce and then top with the tomatoes, bacon, eggs, croutons, and crumbled blue cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining wedges and the rest of the ingredients. Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper.