Coleslaw Recipe with Homemade Dressing
An easy Classic Coleslaw Recipe with crisp cabbage and carrots in a creamy, sweet and tangy homemade dressing. Coleslaw is the perfect side dish for potlucks, parties and cookouts.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Hey, hey. Valentina with Valentina’s Corner sharing our traditional coleslaw recipe.
Though you can purchase a store-bought coleslaw mix and dressing, nothing beats the homemade version. Not only is it so easy and quick to make, it requires minimal ingredients that you likely already have in your fridge. Crunchy shredded cabbage with carrots in a creamy dressing – so good!
Once you have a great coleslaw base, you can spruce it up with different flavors and textures. Try mix-ins like:
- Sliced apples
- Dried cranberries or raisins
- Pumpkin seeds
- Sliced almonds
How to Make Coleslaw-
Unlike most salads that are time-consuming, coleslaw is really quick to make and can be completely ready in just 10 minutes!
- Shred the cabbage and grate the carrots.
- Combine the ingredients for the homemade dressing.
- Add the dressing to the mixed salad and enjoy!
How to Shred Cabbage:
You can either shred the cabbage with a mandolin slicer or by hand with a sharp knife. If you like your coleslaw shredded fine and uniform in size, use a mandolin slicer. If you prefer chunky cabbage, shredding by hand will work.
We used our favorite julienne slicer for the carrots.
A good coleslaw dressing can really make or break a recipe. This homemade slaw dressing is amazing, it’s creamy and tangy and not overly sweet. I love that the dressing only uses 5 ingredients! To prepare the dressing, combine all of the ingredients until well incorporated and creamy.
- MAYO – the creamy base of the dressing.
- ACIDITY – you can use either the classic apple cider vinegar, lemon juice or white vinegar. (TIP: if substituting for ACV or vinegar, you’ll need about 4 tsp, or to taste)
- SWEET – granulated sugar or honey may be used, or a combination of both.
What Goes with Coleslaw?
Can you Make Coleslaw in Advance?
Yes, coleslaw is great to prepare in advance. If you’re making it for a party or brunch, prepare the salad per instructions and keep the salad unmixed and covered, keep the dressing in a container. Before serving, mix the salad and add the dressing.
How Long Will Coleslaw Last in the Refrigerator?
For the best quality and flavor, keep the coleslaw covered and refrigerated. It will last 2-3 days in the refrigerator. NOTE: Cabbage does not freeze well, therefore, freezing the coleslaw isn’t a good idea.
Try These Other Salad Recipes:
- Corn Salad – the perfect picnic side
- Broccoli Salad– with an amazing dressing
- Avocado Chicken Salad – fresh, healthy, easy
- Kani Salad– Japanese cucumber crab salad
- Chickpea Salad – protein packed
Coleslaw recipe with Homemade Dressing
The easiest homemade coleslaw recipe. Shredded white and red cabbage with carrots in a sweet and tangy creamy homemade dressing. This 10-minute recipe will win you over.
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated or julienned
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
Finely shred white and red cabbage. Grate the carrot. Finely chop green onion.
Combine the ingredients for the coleslaw dressing.
In a bowl, toss the salad then add dressing and mix to combine.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen