Chickpea Salad Recipe
Chickpea Salad is loaded with crisp cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, creamy avocado and feta cheese. The fresh lemon dressing adds the Mediterranean flavors of classic Greek Salad.
Chickpea salad is easy to make and comes together fast. It’s perfect for lunch since chickpeas are protein packed and leave you feeling satisfied for hours. We also love to serve garbanzo bean salad with roasted red potatoes and pork tenderloin for dinner.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Chickpea Salad or Garbanzo Bean Salad?
Chickpeas are the same thing as garbanzo beans and can be used interchangeably in this recipe. They are known as chickpeas in the US and Garbanzo beans in Europe.
What are chickpeas? Chickpeas are peach colored round legumes or seed pods and part of the pea family. They have a satisfying nutty flavor. Use canned drained chickpeas or cook your own.
Are Chickpeas good for you?
Chickpeas are a very healthy food and are a perfect way to add plant based protein to salad.
- Chickpeas add great protein and fiber to this salad.
- They are also rich in iron, zinc, phosphorus and B vitamins.
- Experts say chickpeas may help with weight loss*
- Chickpeas help with blood sugar control,* (the starch in chickpeas is digested slowly resulting in stabilized sugar levels).
What is a Good Cilantro Substitute?
Cilantro (coriander) has fresh, vibrant and distinctive flavor and you either love it or you don’t. If you don’t enjoy the flavor of cilantro, you can substitute with other fresh herbs such as finely chopped fresh parsley, chives, dill, or a combination of fresh herbs, adding them to taste. Dried herbs could be used if necessary but fresh is best.
Is this a Make-Ahead Salad?
Leftover chickpea salad is great for meal prep because it keeps really well in the refrigerator for a couple of days. The lemon juice prevents browning in the avocados and the taste only gets better as the flavors meld in the refrigerator. To store, cover with plastic wrap directly over the surface of the salad and refrigerate the leftover portion. Add the salt just before serving to prevent softening of the cucumbers and tomatoes.
More High Protein Salads:
Chickpeas make this a feel-good, protein packed, and satisfying salad. We love salads with protein because they keep you full for hours.
- Avocado Chicken Salad – so easy with rotisserie chicken!
- Salmon Cobb Salad – with juicy morsels of salmon
- Chopped Chicken Salad – this has the best dressing
- Shrimp Salad with juicy cajun shrimp
- Avocado Tuna Salad – uses avocado instead of mayo!
Chickpea Salad Recipe
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice, from 1 large lemon
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 English Cucumber, halved and sliced
- 15 oz chickpeas, or garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 oz feta cheese, diced
Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl: 3 Tbsp olive oil, 3 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 pressed garlic clove, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper and whisk to combine (or shake them together in a small mason jar).
Combine remaining chickpea salad ingredients in a salad bowl, add dressing to taste (we used all of it) and toss to coat.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
*Sources for chickpeas weight loss and blood sugar control information from Healthline and Dr. Axe.