Mixed Berry Muffins
You will want to wake up for these fluffy Mixed Berry Muffins! They come together quickly and are bursting with juicy strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Mixed Berry Muffins Recipe:
These triple berry muffins are made with Greek yogurt which makes them healthier with the added protein. If you don’t have Greek yogurt, sour cream will work equally well. Either way, the muffins turn out soft, fluffy, moist and tasty.
Can I use Frozen Berries for Muffins?
Fresh berries are ideal and if you can only find 1 type of berry, you can use 1 1/2 cups of a single berry i.e. strawberry muffins or raspberry muffins.
When berries are out of season, unavailable or way too expensive, you can substitute frozen mixed berries (no need to thaw). Here’s a tip I picked up from The Kitchn on baking with berries:
- Roll Frozen berries lightly in a small bowl of flour and add them to the batter.
- Fold frozen berries into the batter just enough to incorporate and stop mixing when you start seeing streaks of color.
- Over-mixing with frozen berries will cause your muffins to be greenish-blue or pink.
Why do berries sink to the bottom of muffins?
Berries will sink in muffins or cakes due to loose batter. They can also sink if using too much berries as the weight will pull them down.
If you’re questioning if you can add fruit to a cake batter and the batter is too thin, it’s probably a bad idea. The batter in this recipe is thick so berries will stay evenly distributed without sinking to the bottom.
How to Make Triple Berry Muffins:
Homemade muffins is easy peasy and following this method produces super soft and moist muffins with a perfect muffin top.
- Beat together eggs and sugar until thick and light in color
- Mix in remaining wet ingredients: Greek yogurt, oil, vanilla
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder
- Whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients in thirds
- Fold in berries, divide into lined cupcake tin (Amazon affiliate link) and bake
If you love your muffins glazed, this lemon glaze is a must try!
Love Berry Recipes? Try these next:
- Blueberry Pie bursting with blueberries
- Strawberry Cake with an unbelievable strawberry sauce
- Blueberry Crumble is bursting with blueberries with a crisp topping
- Strawberry Pretzel “Salad” is an easy, potluck favorite!
Mixed Berry Muffins
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Greek yogurt , (or sour cream)
- 1/2 cup extra LIGHT olive oil, (not extra virgin)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour , *measured correctly
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Line a 12-count muffin tin with cupcake liners and preheat oven to 400˚F. In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat 2 eggs with 1 cup granulated sugar on high speed 5 minutes, or until thick and light in color.
- Add 1 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup oil, 1 tsp vanilla. Set mixer to low speed and mix just until combined.
- In a small bowl, add 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt and whisk to combine. Using a hand held whisk, add flour mixture into the batter 1/3 at a time, stirring to incorporate with each addition. DO NOT OVERMIX or muffins will be dense.
- Use a spatula to fold in 1 1/2 cups mixed berries, folding just until combined.
- Divide batter into prepared muffin tip, filling to the top or until all of the batter is used up. Bake in the center of the oven at 400˚F for 20-22 minutes or until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center come out clean. Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Per Serving
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
I love that my 3-year old is so into baking. She loved making these mixed berry muffins as much as she enjoyed eating them! And you’re probably wondering why I wasn’t wearing my princess costume as well… 😉