Home > Dessert > Pavlova Recipe (VIDEO)

Pavlova Recipe (VIDEO)

Pavlova is a graceful, beautiful, and romantic dessert. It is perfect for Valentine’s Day or any dinner party (you can make pavlovas ahead!). The texture is crisp on the outside with a marshmallow-soft inside, and they are piled high with whipped cream and fruit. Watch the video tutorial below.

Pavlova dessert on a serving platter topped with cream and berries

What is Pavlova?

I had my facts all wrong about Pavlova; it’s not Russian, but named after a Russian ballerina, Anna Pavlova. There is a great debate about who made it first; Australia or New Zealand, but everyone can agree they are melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

Pavlova is a show-stopping meringue dessert and it’s easier than you think. It is made of egg whites, sugar, corn starch, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Once baked, a crisp exterior forms around the soft centers. To serve, pavlovas are topped with lightly sweetened whipped cream and studded with plenty of fresh berries. You can make pavlovas as a Big Pavlova Cake or as these easy to serve mini pavlovas.

Up close showing what is a Palvova topped with berries and cream

How to Bring Eggs to Room Temperature:

If your egg whites are not at room temperature, place them in a bowl and set over a second bowl of warm (not hot) water for 15 minutes. Tip: The yolks separate easier from the whites if you use chilled eggs.

Can I Substitute Corn Starch?

Corn starch is vital to the overall result of this recipe. It helps form the crisp exterior and marshmallow-soft interior. Do not omit the cornstarch. I haven’t tested substituting, but one of our readers reported great results using potato starch.

Can I Make Pavlovas Ahead?

You can make the pavlova meringues up to 3 days ahead of time and store loosely wrapped in a plastic bag (in a low-humidity area) then assemble just before your event. Once they are assembled the frosting starts to soften the meringues and they should be eaten within 4 hours of assembling.

Pavlovas made ahead and then assembled before serving

Tips for Making Mini Pavlovas:

• Fully preheat your oven and bake right away or pavlovas can start melting or form a layer of brown sugar after baking at the bottom.
  • If using this large 3/4 baking sheet, you can fit them all on one sheet, otherwise, bake on 2 separate baking sheets in the top and bottom thirds of your oven.
  • Make sure to use parchment paper for easy removal from the baking sheet (do not use wax paper – it sticks like crazy).
  • Use your stand mixer for the most effective mixing. If using an electric hand mixer, you may need to add 2 minutes to the mixing time for stiff, smooth and glossy peaks to form. Do not attempt to hand whisk – yikes!
  • Pipe meringue 3 to 3 1/2 inches wide onto the parchment paper using a Wilton 1M Tip. Indent the center with a spoon to allow room for cream.
  • Let pavlovas rest in the warm oven 30 minutes before removing from the oven to ensure the exterior dries appropriately.

Over the top view of berries over pavlovas

What are the Best Toppings for Pavlova?

The fruit toppings for pavlova are endless. You will want about 4 to 5 cups of fresh fruit or berries. Our favorite options are:

• Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries
  • Kiwi
  • Mango
  • Stone Fruit: peaches, plums, apricots, nectarines
  • Mint leaves, to garnish

More Easy and Impressive Valentines Desserts:

If you’re working on a Valentine’s Day menu, make sure you check out all our Valentine’s Recipes. Some of our favorite romantic desserts are:

Watch Pavlova Recipe Video Tutorial:

These mini pavlovas have a cloud-like meringue that literally melts in your mouth. The tart berries cut the sweetness just right so I always add a generous amount. Serve these at your next party and they will be flying off the plate. They are well-loved by adults and children.

Pavlova Recipe

Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
This Pavlova is a perfect dessert, crisp on the outside with marshmallowy goodness on the inside, piled high with fluffy cream and loads of fresh fruit.
Author: Natasha of NatashasKitchen.com
Skill Level: Easy/Medium
Keyword: pavlova
Cuisine: Russian, Ukrainian
Course: Dessert
Servings: 15 pavlovas

For Pavlova:

For Cream:

For Topping/Decor:

• 4-5 cups fresh fruit blueberries, kiwi, raspberries, sliced strawberries, etc
  • 15 Mint leaves for garnish, optional

How to Make Pavlova:

1. Preheat the Oven to 225˚ F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Using your stand mixer, beat 6 egg whites on high speed 1 min until soft peaks form. With the mixer on, gradually add 1 1/2 cups sugar and beat 10 min on high speed, or until stiff peaks form. It will be smooth and glossy.

2. Use a spatula to quickly fold in 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice and 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract, then fold in 2 tsp corn starch and mix until well blended.
  3. Pipe meringue into 3 to 3 1/2 inches wide nests onto the parchment paper using a Wilton 1M Tip. Indent the center with a spoon to allow room for cream. Bake at 225˚ for 1 hr and 15 min then turn the oven off and without opening the door, let meringue in the hot oven another 30 min. Outsides will be dry and crisp to the tap and very pale cream-colored and insides will still be marshmallow soft.

4. Transfer the pavlova with the parchment paper onto the counter or a cookie rack and allow it to cool to room temp. Once cool, you can top them with whipped cream and fruit or store in an airtight container for 3-5 days at room temperature (in a low humidity place).

How to Make Frosting and Assemble Pavlovas:

1. Beat cold whipping cream with 2 Tbsp sugar in the cold bowl for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes or until whipped and spreadable.
  2. Pipe frosting onto the pavlova and top with fresh fruit.*

Recipe Notes

*These should be enjoyed within 4 hours of assembly.

Pavlova Recipe

Recipe updated January 2020 to include more tips and tricks for mastering the perfect pavlova.

Have you tried the Pavlova? What are YOUR favorite toppings?

Pavlova is a showstopping meringue dessert and is easier than you think! Mini pavlovas have crisp shells and marshmallow centers. They melt-in-your-mouth! | natashaskitchen.com

• Virsaviya
    July 24, 2017

Pavlovas taste very good

July 24, 2017

I’m glad to hear you like them! Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Rose
    July 5, 2017

I would like to make 6 large Pavlov as how long would it need to bake them for

July 5, 2017

Hi Rose, I haven’t tested that way specifically but I would guess to keep them in the oven 1 hour 30 minutes then let them sit with the door propped open for another 30 minutes.

• violet
    June 29, 2017

I try to make pavlova but I can’t.I mad ingredients as you said and ordered the inside of the oven according to the length of time .It’s so bad and very Crisp and fragille .Can you help me about that?

June 29, 2017

Hi Violet, I would suggest watching the video recipe if you haven’t already to see where things started to look different. Also, this recipe is intended for a conventional oven and NOT a convection oven.

• Viktoriya
    June 14, 2017

Hi Natasha I just want to say your recipes are amazing! I made the pavlovas like you did but mine seem to lose its white color after baking what could have went wrong?

June 14, 2017

Hi Viktoriya, normally they should stay white even after baking. The ones I have in the video and photos have cooled completely to room temp and are still white. I wonder if your oven may be too hot or they are too close to the burner?

• Viktoriya
        June 14, 2017

Thank you I’ll definitely try to lower the heat I have a gas oven maybe that makes a difference in the tep but other than that they were so yummy thanks again for sharing!!

June 15, 2017

My pleasure Viktoriya!

• Lucy
    June 9, 2017

Can these be made a day in advance ? If it can . would you put in the fridge over night? I want to make sure the bottom layer stays crispy.

June 9, 2017

Lucy, you can make these a day in advance, look at the details in the recipe under “Tip”.

• Inga
    June 6, 2017

Thank you Natasha for such an amazing recipe, this is my third time making Pavlova, however I bake them for 3 hrs and instead of lemon juice I add lemon power(лимонка). Always turns out delicious.

June 6, 2017

My pleasure! I’m glad you love the recipe Inga! Thanks for sharing 😀

• Destiny Hobbs
    May 22, 2017

Hello! I just made these and they came out lovely. I put jam and whipped cream on top of mine. Can I leave them out overnight in a container or do I need to put them in the fridge because of the whipped cream? Thank you so much!

May 23, 2017

Pavlovas should not be refrigerated. I recommend not adding the frosting until you’re ready to serve them because the soon as you add the frosting, they will begin to softer noon. Otherwise, without the frosting, the buffaloes can last a couple of days at room temperature. It is also important to make sure they are in a low humidity area which is another reason they should not be refrigerated.

• RM
    May 19, 2017

Hi made them but for some reason mine where not white they became more of a yellow color to them ??? Was disappointed that it wasn’t white pavlova

May 19, 2017

Hi RM, I haven’t had that experience but it is probably 1 of 2 things – either the oven temperature was too high (or it was cooked too quickly in a convection oven), or if the sugar was a raw or organic sugar with some color to it. I hope that helps for next time!

• RM
        June 19, 2017

So if my oven is convection what temp should I be cooking it in?

June 20, 2017

Hi RM, I haven’t tried baking this in a convection oven, but only a conventional oven so I can’t really advise. You might try googling “pavlova convection oven” and see if you come up with anything. Sorry I can’t be more helpful! I’m thinking it is probably best to do this in a conventional oven to give the pavlova the opportunity to bake up properly.

• Ruslana
    May 15, 2017

Hello, I tried watching the video, but once it opens its the video on how make pryaniki 😯

May 16, 2017

Hi Ruslana, sorry that was our mistake! We flip-flopped the videos. Thank you so much for letting me know!! The issue is now fixed and the correct video should play.

• Shannan Gaughan
    April 18, 2017

Not sure how big these are suppose to be but if you make them the diameter of a muffin, you’ll get 36 of them!! I now need to find people to give them away too! Haha. Extremely easy recipe though, thanks!

April 18, 2017

Ha ha! This is definitely party sized – I guess that is the only time I really make them is for a crowd 🙂

• Dianne Issa
    April 16, 2017

I could not transfer pavlova to serving plate as it stuck to the parchment paper.

April 17, 2017

Hi Dianne, they should come off pretty easily unless they are under-baked or if you put them on wax paper instead of parchment paper. Did they seem under-baked? Were they crisp on the outside to the tap? I hope that helps to troubleshoot! 🙂

• Eloise Engel
    April 16, 2017

Hi, These look delicious. I would like to make them but I couldn’t find corn starch. Could I use flour instead? I once read that you can use 3 tsp of flour for 1 tbs of corn starch. Would that work?

April 17, 2017

With this recipe, flour will not work well as a substitute. The corn starch is important to achieve the proper texture inside the Pavlova and make it marshmallow soft inside.

• Natasha Zagaynov
    April 8, 2017

Hi, Natasha! I’m making these now and have to use two different baking sheets to fit into my oven. Can I bake both at the same time? How should I position them in the oven?
    Natasha Z

April 9, 2017

Hi Natasha, sorry I couldn’t get to your question sooner – If they don’t fit on the same rack, I would position them in the top third and bottom third – evenly spaced in the oven.

• Jennifer
    April 7, 2017

Can I make these ahead and store them somehow?

April 7, 2017

Hi Jennifer, yes absolutely!! Please see the note beneath the second photo in this post. Enjoy!! 🙂

• Phyllis
    April 2, 2017

I made these tonight for the first time. And they were beautiful!! I did find them just a little too sweet . Has anyone ever cut back on the sugar amounts?

April 3, 2017

Hi Phyllis, I haven’t tried cutting back since sugar is important for the meringue to form properly. It really helps to use whipped cream that is just barely sweet and adding berries gives it some tart elements to help cut the sweetness. I hope that helps!

• Nadia
    April 1, 2017

I’ve made these a few times and each time they turned out burned and crispy throughout. :/ I’ve been following everything exactly by the recipe. The only difference is that I’m using organic cane sugar bc that’s all I have on hand currently. Do I need to reduce the oven temp or length of time I bake them? Or both?

April 1, 2017

Oh wow! Burned and crispy definitely means your oven is way too hot. They should be white when they are baked. Definitely turn down the heat of your oven. Are you certain you set your oven to Farenheight and NOT CELCIUS? Also, are you using a convection oven? This recipe is intend for regular conventional oven settings. I’ve tried using organic cane sugar that was more coarse than regular white granulated sugar and it did not work well for me – the meringue was cream colored and not smooth when it came out of the oven. If using cane sugar, make sure to process it in a food processor to reach the consistency of granulated sugar, but if the color of the sugar is darker, the meringue color will be off. I hope that helps you when making meringue in the future!

• Nadia
        April 1, 2017

Thank you for replying so quickly. I’ve been using organic cane sugar that is similar to the consistency of regular granulated. Thank you for the suggestion to process it. I didn’t think of that. My oven is also really old, so maybe that might be an issue also.. is it okay to open the oven as they are baking and check on them to see when they are done?

• Nadia
          April 1, 2017

Sorry, meant to leave 5 stars not 4 but it won’t let me go back to change that 🙁

April 2, 2017

Thank you Nadia! 🙂 I appreciate that 🙂

April 2, 2017

Hi Nadia, if you don’t have an internal oven thermometer to gauge what the true temp of your oven is, that’s probably the next best way to make sure they don’t burn. They should not noticeably change color while baking. I hope you have success next time! 🙂

• Natalie
    March 31, 2017

I keep seeing these pavlovas at my friends parties and I finally found the recipe and tried it myself. They were so good! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

March 31, 2017

Ha ha! That’s awesome! I see this pretty often at my friends parties as well – it’s quite a compliment when one of your recipes becomes a favorite among your own friends ;). Thanks for the great review!

• Anna
    March 31, 2017

Hello! I’m having a little trouble here.. I beat the eggs and got amazing peaks but once I incorporated the vinilla lemon juice and corn starch it all turned liquidy and wouldn’t hold its shape! I ended up making macaroon looking ones /: what did I do wrong? Was to possible to over beat? I didn’t wait long at all to start piping…Also not a fan of the in these, I feel like there is way too much!

March 31, 2017

Hi Anna, that is the first report I’ve had of that happening but I’m always happy to help torubleshoot! Did you use the correct proportions of vanilla and lemon juice and fold it in quickly with a spatula (not the mixer)? It’s either using too much, overmixing after adding the vanilla and lemon and corn starch or not beating the eggs enough before adding the liquids. Did you beat the meringue for the proper amount of time on high speed using a high powered mixer? They should pipe easily as shown in the video. Did your meringue look like mine in the video before adding the liquid ingredients? I hope that helps!!

• Andrea Kotula
        April 12, 2017

I had a similar problem, although I wouldn’t say that mine got liquidy–just lost some of the stiffness. When I piped it, it turned into mounds instead of peaks, and I couldn’t create indentations. I followed the directions exactly and used an oven thermometer. The only change I made was to double the recipe, but I didn’t add the vanilla and lemon juice until there were stiff peaks. They taste delicious and I think that the whipped cream will cover up the problem to some extent. Any suggestions for next time?

April 12, 2017

I wonder if maybe it had to do with doubling the recipe? If you double the recipe, you would need to increase the mixing time in order to achieve the stiff peaks and for it to pipe correctly. I hope that helps for next time!

• Andrea Kotula
            April 12, 2017

I mixed it until there were stiff peaks. It only softened after adding the vanilla and lemon juice. I would like to be able to try this again with success!

• Andrea Kotula
          April 17, 2017

I want to update this now that I assembled and served them. Although the meringues flopped when I piped them, the whipped cream covered this, and they looked beautiful. I received lots of compliments from my guests. I did find the meringues too sweet, and the funny thing is that I refrigerated several assembled leftover Pavlovas and although the meringues did soften a bit, they also tasted less sweet, which I liked.

April 17, 2017

Hi Andrea, the meringues do seem less sweet once they are combined with the lightly sweetened whipped cream and the tangy fruit. I’m so glad you liked it 🙂

• Inna
    March 18, 2017

Making them right now.. I got 30 out of this portion. They are are pretty big 😀

March 18, 2017

The more the better! Thanks for sharing Inna 🙂

• Haajirah
    March 13, 2017

Your recipe was amazing,I mean the egg white batter was just so pretty and it looked like it’s going to be the the perfect mini pavlova,But then I had to go somewhere in an emergency without baking the pavlova.I left the house at 5:30 pm and I only returned at 11:30 am (the next day) and when I came back and took a look at the batter,I tried to beat it and stuff and now It has all soft peaks and it isn’t holding it’s shape at all.
    What did I do wrong ?
    What do you suggest I do?

Thanks
    Hajrah Khan

March 13, 2017

Leaving the meringue out without baking it will ruin the meringue and it is not repairable after that. You would have to re-beat the meringue with fresh ingredients…

• Haajirah
        March 13, 2017

Ok,Thanks For your feedback

I beat the meringue For a long time and it eventually came right

Kind Regards
        Hajrah

March 13, 2017

Oh wow that’s great!! I’m happy to hear that! 🙂

• Evgenia
        May 13, 2017

Hi Natasha! I made this recipe a while back and it turned out great. We just had it as is, no fruit or whipped cream, because we were so impatient to just eat it haha. I made them using a regular electric oven, and i was wondering what kind of adjustment i would have to do when using a convection oven instead. Should i reduce temperature? Thank you! I love your blog <3

May 13, 2017

Hi Evgenia, I’m so happy you loved the recipe!! Meringues work best in a conventional oven, otherwise they may not form properly since a convection oven bakes faster. I would recommend sticking with a conventional oven for best results.

• liana
    March 9, 2017

I’m thinking of making them in a few days. What can I add instead of a corn starch?

March 9, 2017

Hi Liana, I’ve never tested it any other way so I can’t really recommend anything. Come to think of it, I’ve also never seen anything else used for pavlova besides corn starch. I think it is important to get the right marshmallow soft consistency in the center.

• liana
        March 10, 2017

Should I leave the eggs white at room temperature to age them?

March 10, 2017

Hi Liana, it isn’t necessary in this recipe.

• Anna
    March 3, 2017

Hi Natasha! How do I make mine come out just as white as yours? Mine always seem to have a slightly darker color. I’m not over baking them because they still taste great but I just can’t seem to get them as white as yours!:/

March 3, 2017

Hi Anna, are you possibly using a convection oven or the convection bake mode? Does your oven tend to run hot? If so, you might reduce the temperature. The only reason I can think of that it would be darker is if your oven was too hot. I hope that helps! 🙂

• Katia
    February 11, 2017

I tried these today to see if I can make them smaller for my bridal shower and they turned out great! I made them 1.5 in x 1.5 in and baked them for 45 mins! Then I put cream on top, with chopped roasted nuts instead of fruit. Delicious! Thanks Natasha!

February 12, 2017

Thank you for sharing!! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe 🙂

• Alexandra
    February 8, 2017

How large do you normally pipe them? I’m making them for the first time this weekend for an office Valentine’s dessert event. I’m very excited because I love pavlovas, but also nervous. I’ve been revisiting the recipe this whole week.

Also, is it okay to store the whip cream in the piping bag (in a container) until I prepare the pavlovas? I don’t generally have whip cream so I am very unfamiliar!

Thank you for being so responsive!

February 9, 2017

Hi Alexandra, the pavlovas are about 3 to 3 1/2 inches wide and you should get a total of 14 to 15 pavlovas with this recipe. It’s easier to gauge the size/shape if you watch the video. I hope that helps! 🙂 You can store the whipped cream in the refrigerator for a few hours. I usually just whip the cream before assembling the pavlovas because it’s so quick to make whipped cream and literally takes 2 minutes. I hope you love these!

February 8, 2017

Hi Ally, that is unusual, but I’m always happy to help troubleshot. Did you pipe them the same size? They are supposed to be marshmallow soft on the inside and firm to the tap on the outside. Also, are you baking at high altitude or are you using a gas oven or a convection setting? Is there anything you changed in the recipe or process?

• Yana
    January 19, 2017

I made these pretties few times and both times they turned out amazing! Too bad I can’t post pictures here!

January 19, 2017

Share them on my Facebook! Let everyone admire what you’ve done!!

• Lana
    January 12, 2017

Hi Natasha, can I use half and half for the frosting or will it not whip up the same way?

January 12, 2017

Hi Lana, half and half does not whip the same way – It will froth but it won’t whip into a cream.

• Steph
    December 30, 2016

amazing!!! Finally had the soft centre thanks will continue to use this recipe so yum!!!

December 30, 2016

You are very welcome Steph 😬 and thank you for sharing your results.

• Anna
    November 22, 2016

Hi Natasha! Love all of your recipes!:)
    Can the meringues be made 2 days in advance? How should I store them? Air tight container at room temp?
    I would like to make just the meringue part couple of days before. And then make the cream and assemble before serving. Would that work? Thank you!:)

November 23, 2016

Hi Anna, yes that would work to make them 2 days in advance and store them in a cool dry place (not a humid place and never refrigerate). Assemble them just before serving since the cream will make the meringue soft as it sits. You could use an airtight container or something like a cake carrier, or put them on a baking sheet and cover with plastic bags (which I’ve done before :-O). 😉

• Anna
        November 23, 2016

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

• Syira
    November 16, 2016

My oven is a little smaller so only one pan can be baked at one time. how about the balance meringue? while waiting for the ones in the oven finished baking should i pipe them in advance and let them sit at the counter or put in fridge..? appreciate your suggestion. 😀

November 16, 2016

Hi Syira, It won’t work to have meringue sitting out – they start to melt and turn gooey at the base (I’ve had that happen before). I would suggest mixing it in batches if it needs to be baked in batches.

• Nadia
    November 10, 2016

Your pavlova recipe is perfection! Perfect little berry studded melt in your mouth clouds of sweetness! 😋😍

Im making them again- but I forgot to pick up lemon for lemon juice at the store this time- can I use vinegar as substitute? I’m just nervous they’ll taste vinegar-y…

Thank you so much for your recipes and help in advance!!!:)

November 10, 2016

Hi Nadia, I’m so happy you like it! 🙂 I haven’t tried it personally, but I have seen other recipes online using vinegar so I assume it’s ok, but I haven’t tested it myself.

• Anna
    November 9, 2016

Hi Natasha. Love all of your recipes! Thank you so much!
    I made these pavlovas and they turned out absolutely delicious. Everyone loved them!
    We ate them within 3 hours and the whipping cream frosting was starting to run. Perhaps it was warm in the room. I would like to make them again. Is there a way that they can be made in advance and hold up better? Can I assemble them and put them in the fridge for about 4 hours before serving? Or will frosting get runny?
    Or can I make the frosting and leave it in the fridge and pipe it before serving? What do you recommend? Thank you!:)

November 9, 2016

Hi Anna, with pavlova, it’s best to eat it soon after assembling. Once the cream is on the pavlova, it will start to soften the meringue and the longer it sits, the more it dissolves the meringue. You can make the pavlova a day ahead, just don’t put on the frosting or fruit until ready to serve.

• Anna
        November 9, 2016

• Sara
    October 11, 2016

This is a great recipe. I have never made Pavlova before and I followed the directions exactly and they turned out great – Thanks for an easy, great recipe!

October 11, 2016

Hi Sara, thank you so much for sharing your wonderful review! 🙂

• Karen
    October 8, 2016

I had a great time making these pavlovas just yesterday! I piped out my pavlovas about “1 1/2 in wide and the recipe made about 21 pavlovas for me. Very happy with results. Beautiful and light dessert. Thank you for the recipe! 👍

October 9, 2016

Karen, thank you for the nice review and you are welcome 😀.

• April
        November 26, 2016

I’ve just made these mereignes they’ve been in 10min and look burnt my oven is fan assisted on 225 but that seems so hot for the length of time what have I done wrong

November 26, 2016

Hi April, it sounds like you have a convection oven? These are not meant to be made in a convection oven which circulates the air and cooks foods faster – they need the slow heating and the circulating hot air can discolor the outside of the pavlova. I haven’t tested them in a convection oven so I can’t really say how to adjust the heat settings for pavlova using convection. The recipe is written for using a regular conventional oven in the regular baking mode.

• Min
    October 7, 2016

Hi~ Nice recipe
    I have one question..
    How many grams 1.5c is ??

October 7, 2016

1.5 cups is 300 grams of white sugar.

• Taya
    September 17, 2016

All your recipes are AMAZING!!!!

September 17, 2016

Thank you Taya 😀.

• Anna D
    September 1, 2016

Yum yum yum yum. Super easy recipe. Love the video, first try and it turned out , very happy with that. Blackberries were a nice compliment to the cream with blueberries raspberries and strawberry .

September 2, 2016

Anna, that’s just awesome!! Thank you for sharing your wonderful review 🙂

• Anna D
        September 12, 2016

Your welcome, making them again today and last time I just threw out the extra meringue I had to make about 3 more , I’m wondering if using two pans changes cook time at all and shoukd I have them on same rack or alternating sides ?

September 12, 2016

Hi Anna, I haven’t tested more than one in the oven at a time. You may have to rotate the pans for even drying/baking. Without testing it myself, I cant say for sure how it would effect cook time but I imagine it would take a little longer to bake 2 or 3 of them at once.

• Lena
    August 26, 2016

Hi I was wondering is it possible to add food coloring to make them colored? Like pink or blue, etc.

August 26, 2016

Hi Lena, I haven’t experimented with adding food coloring, but I think it would work fine in small amounts.

• Lena
    August 26, 2016

Hi, my oven is a little small and won’t fit two regular baking sheets side by side.
    Since I didn’t have one huge baking sheet I just used two and ended up placing them on separate racks. One in the center of the oven and the other right above it. Is that ok or will it ruin them?

August 26, 2016

Hi Lena, I think that would still work fine. Let me know how it turns out! Since they are on separate racks, test them at the end by tapping the shell with your nails. If the shells are not crisp, leave them in the oven a bit longer. I suspect it may take slightly longer to dry out being on racks.

• olga
    August 26, 2016

Hi, Natasha, yummmm, looks good. want to make them. After done with everything, can we melt choc, and sprinkle all over the fruits?

August 26, 2016

Yes, absolutely! 🙂

• Alina
    August 19, 2016

Ive seen two recipies that call for room tempeture eggs. What does this do? Can you mess up a recipie by using eggs straight from the fridge?

August 19, 2016

Hi Alina, eggs at room temp don’t take as long to beat and you will have more consistent results. 🙂

• Olga Karplyuk
    August 17, 2016

Hi Natasha, can you help me decide on a stand mixer? In your opinion which is better – Bowl-Lift ? or Tilt-Head Stand Mixer? Also what qty is the best ?? 5-quart or 6-quart???

August 17, 2016

Hi Olga, I can only speak to the one I own which is the 6 Quart Professional Stand mixer with the bowl-lift. It depends on how much you use it and what you’re making in it. I love that the big 6 Qt one makes large batters and doughs with ease so if you do a lot of baking for a larger family, that’s the one to get :). I also love that I will never have to “upgrade” to a large one 😉

• Suzanne See
        March 21, 2017

I recently bought the same one you have, Natasha and I love it! I did a lot of research before spending that much money and I am very pleased. It is definitely worth the extra money for the 6 qt. I’ve been reading all the reviews on your pavlovas and I’m about to make them 😃. Your video is very informative and helpful so I think they will turn out fine.

March 21, 2017

That’s awesome and I agree – it’s worth the extra investment ;). I hope you love the recipe!!

• Suzanne See
      March 21, 2017

I have one just like hers and I love it!! I did a lot of research on different mixers and I am pleased with this one. I know it’s been a while since you posted this, but I hope this helps if you haven’t gotten one yet.

• Esther
    July 11, 2016

I’d like to know if I can use the same meringue recipe and to make it just like s cookie with no whipped cream topping. Also can I add a few drops of purple emulsion to make them lavender? Thank you!

I am planning to make pavlovas next weekend, so excited! You’ll see it on Instagram 🙂

July 11, 2016

Hi Esther, I’m not sure what kind of cookie you are referring to. What size of cookie? Do you want it to be crisp all the way through or soft like a pavlova? I’m looking forward to seeing your creation on Instagram. Purple is my favorite color! 🙂

• Alina
    June 20, 2016

Natasha, what can i substitute instead of corn starch that may be a bit healthier?

June 20, 2016

Hi Alina, I’ve never tested it any other way so I can’t really recommend anything. Come to think of it, I’ve also never seen anything else used besides corn starch.

• Nicole
      January 18, 2017

Late comment but for others who are curious, maybe you can try arrowroot powder? I have never used in an application like this but it is binding agent I have used as a substitute for corn starch in other recipes.

• Marina
    June 16, 2016

Room temperature eggs did not work for me, I use organic eggs. But straight out of the refrigerator whipped up very quickly and good.

June 16, 2016

Is it possible you may have gotten some of the yolk in your mixture? Typically the opposite is true so I’m curious if something else may have affected the room temp whites, but I’m happy it worked out anyways 🙂

• Brianna
    June 4, 2016

Hey! Do you know why mines turned out sticky after they cool? Maybe I did something wrong. I followed the recipe

June 5, 2016

Hi Brianna, is there anything that you did different from the instructions. Did you let the Pavlova sit in the oven the extra 30 minutes with the oven off, door closed, and oven turned off? That step is important to form the dry crust on the outside. They should not stick to the parchment paper. Did you use parchment paper or wax paper? They do stick to wax paper so I do not recommend using that. I hope that is helpful for next time!

• Tina
    May 31, 2016

What kind of heavy whipping cream do you use for this recipe? Pasteurized or Unpasteurized? My heavy whipping cream never gets thick like yours after 2 minutes, it usually takes more than 5 minutes and even then its not thick like yours its a bit watered down. How can i fix this? I usually freeze the bowl and whisk attachments before using and the cream is usually very cold.

May 31, 2016

I use pasteurized. Are you sure you are using HEAVY whipping cream and not just whipping cream?

• Vera
        June 10, 2016

What’s the difference with pasteurized vs ultra pasteurized? Will it make a difference?

June 10, 2016

Hi Vera, for whipped cream, using pasteurized heavy whipping cream is better because it whips up easier. Ultra pasteurized has been heating and then cooled so it has a longer shelf life but it doesn’t whip up as easily.

• Kay
    May 28, 2016

Hello, Natasha! Love your recipes. My German Grandmother made these but called them Shaum Torts. They were filled with sugared fruit then topped with whipped cream. I’ve made them from her recipe but some how I’ve misplaced it so it’s wonderful to again have a guide to follow. Thank you for the great recipes.

May 28, 2016

Wow that combination that you described sounds really nice! Thank you for sharing 🙂

• Anastasia
    May 27, 2016

Hi
    Love you recipes always the best!! I was wondering is it ok to make these if I don’t have corn starch? Wanted to whip it up and realized I don’t have any right now? Thank you

Nastya

May 27, 2016

Hi Anastasia, I’ve never made these without corn starch but it is important to get the right texture with pavlova – to get that marshmallow center.

• Kathy
      May 28, 2016

I use arrowroot instead of corn starch in many recipes. But I haven’t tried it yet in this recipe.

• melanie
    December 28, 2015

hi, would it be possible to pipe these out in little 1 inch tall christmas trees? like pipe out 3 tiny cirlces on top of eachother so it looks like a tree? and color the batter green?

December 28, 2015

I haven’t tried but that sounds adorable! If you try it, I hope you post a picture somewhere. I’m so curious now! If you add food coloring, make sure to add small amounts at a time so you don’t water down your meringue. Keep in mind, after you bake meringue, the color becomes more muted and lighter.

• Alina
    November 25, 2015

Hi Natasha, how long can the cream stay on, can i put it on the day before the party or is the same day better?

November 25, 2015

I would add the cream before serving. It’s best not to put it on early.

• Jess
    November 19, 2015

These are amazing! So easy to bake and SO SO GOOD! Thanks for the recipe 🙂

November 19, 2015

Thank you for the great review Jess and you are welcome 🙂 .

• Nata
    October 8, 2015

Hi Natasha, I have a quick question.
    Is it possible to use a piping bag to make a pretty outer design,then make a little indent for the cream?
    Thanks

October 8, 2015

I haven’t tried it but seen it done, just searching online. If you test it, let me know how it works out :).

• Tanya
    June 1, 2015

Hi Natasha! Thank you for wonderful recepie!! I made it once before and everybody loved it!! I was wondering uctually my sister in law if there is any other cream/ frosting can be used? We have gathering next week and I was thinking to make those, uctually my mom asked me saying if I remember what I brought that it was gone fast!! 😉 Thank you very much!!!

June 1, 2015

Since the Pavlova is so light and airy, any other kind of frosting would weight it down and overpower it. I can’t think of a better one for the pavlova.

• Elena
    May 6, 2015

I’m making them right now … I really hope they turn out as yours !!!

May 7, 2015

I hope you enjoy the recipe! 🙂

• Olsya
    March 7, 2015

quick question!? what is the purpose of adding corn starch? can I not add any? would they turn out the same?

March 7, 2015

The corn starch helps to achieve the correct texture – crisp on the outside and marshmallow soft on the inside. To be honest, I haven’t tried without it so I’m not sure how much it will change the recipe. I’ve made meringue cookies with cream of tartar and no cornstarch but those were fully dry inside.

• Anna
    December 24, 2014

I’ve made these once before but smaller size so that I would have more than 8 and they weren’t good at all, they were hard.
    Should I bake them for less or at a lower heat if I make them smaller?

December 24, 2014

Normally they should be soft inside, but it depends on your preference. If you like them dry on the inside, you could make them that way too 🙂

• Angee
    December 18, 2014

Looks great! Does pavlova taste similar to Bolco dose?
    Thanks so much?

December 18, 2014

Boccone Dolce Cake is completely dried out, while Pavlovas are still marshmallow soft on the inside. Hope this helps :).

• anna
    August 27, 2014

I made these and the tops of them turned out all cracked. Is there a reason for this?

August 27, 2014

It’s possible you may not have beat the eggs long enough. Was it easy to form the cake; ie did the sides stay up or sink down when you formed it? Also, did you use large eggs? Anything else that you may have done differently?

• zhanna
    August 16, 2014

hi natasha,
    is there any way of making these chocolate? i saw pictures of them a lot but theres a million different recipes!

August 16, 2014

I haven’t tried a chocolate version so without testing it, I couldn’t really give you instructions. I have a new pavlova recipe coming soon, but it isn’t chocolate. It’s just a single large pavlova. Look for it Tuesday 🙂

• Viktoriya
    August 15, 2014

Hey natasha, i made this goodness for the party tonight. And i have a question the party starts at 6 so i have 4 hours till that time and i was wondering can i assemble them now and leave it in the room temp or the whipping cream will start running? Or can i put them in refrigerator? Can you please advise thanks in advanse

August 15, 2014

It’s best assembled before serving but you can assemble it and refrigerate until ready to serve.

• katy
    April 17, 2013

So i was wondering if i would be able to make these pavlovas and use them in place of the meringue for your boccone recipe, because i prefer a marshmallow-y meringue. Do you know thing that would work, would these pavolas be able to support the cream and strawberrys of the boccone recipie? Or would they collaps? thnaks.

• Olga
    October 12, 2012

Heavy whipping cream? Not the regular? Recipe doesn’t say heavy. I made these yesterday with regular whipping cream. It taste so good. Thought after being in the fridge, it sorta started making the bottom portion melt. Like watery. Is the cream suppose to melt a little? Still taste good though.

October 12, 2012

I missed that. I’ve updated the recipe to include heavy whipping cream. It really shouldn’t melt. I think the heavy whipping cream holds up better. It has a higher fat content.

• Olga
    October 9, 2012

Is that whipping cream in liquid form? Or already whipped cream that is ib tub??

October 9, 2012

Liquid form. And make sure it’s heavy whipping cream. 🙂

• Olga
    October 7, 2012

Can I bake these on a baking sheet without the parchment sheet?

October 7, 2012

I don’t think I would brave it. If it sticks at all to the pan, you could easily destroy it because it is so fragile. Parchment paper is best and highly recommended. I purchase a large role at Costco.

• Svetlana
    August 5, 2012

I made these for a party I had last night and everyone loved them! These are amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

August 5, 2012

You are welcome Svetlana

• Rebecca
    August 3, 2012

I was surprised to see this recipe on the website until you explained the mix up! As an Australian, I introduced this to my Russian mother in law, who fell in love with it. Another tip is to gradually put the sugar in and keep mixing until it has dissolved into the mix (it will not feel grainy with touched). Enjoy!

August 3, 2012

• Dina
    June 30, 2012

I made this today and absolutely loved it!!!! The fruits I used was strawberries, kiwi and chocolate drizzled. This recipe taste like Dolce Boccone cake witch I absolutely LOVE! I made this dessert so I can enjoy it with my husband after he gets off work, him being an RN he was manted to do another shift 🙁 I just had to try it. My husband loves the Dolce BoCcone cake and I know he would love Pavlova dessert. Thanks for posting this recipe!!

June 30, 2012

Oh I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I have a boccone dolce cake posted as well and yes it is one heck of a cake! I’m now an RN too, but I start work July 9th!!

• Dina
        June 30, 2012

That’s awesome that you will be starting work. With this economy it’s hard for RN’s in the valley to get hired. Even though there is a need for RN’s the hospitals can’t afford them and over work nurse’s, at least where my husband works.
        Thanks for your reply.

June 30, 2012

I am so very thankful for my job! Words can not express how much so! I know there are plenty of folks still looking.

• Stephen Whitehead
    June 29, 2012

I grew up eating this delight. Being Australian I can attest to ensuring the eggs are at least room temperature, in fact the best results are often achieved with the eggs at 35C or greater . Just soak them in a bowl of warm water for a while as Natasha suggests. You can also change the overall flavour by replacing the vanilla extract with a liquor and the match your topping to the base flavour. I like to use a coffee liquor and then a chocolate desert topping with cherries.

Another serving suggestion is to make one large round Pavlova with a well in the centre and a rim of approximately 1″. This way you can fill the centre with yummy whipped cream and whatever fruits you wish. As a child we simply used canned fruit salad or Kiwi fruits with some grated chocolate over top and a light dusting of icing sugar.

In fact, after I have finished trying the Blini recipe I may just make a Pav! 😀

June 29, 2012

Stephen, thank you for the flavoring tips! I definitely want to try changing up the flavor with your suggestions. Hope you love the blini 🙂

• Darya
        March 12, 2013

How long would I need to bake it for and at what temperature if I want to make one large round pavlova?

March 12, 2013

Bake for the same amount of time 🙂

• Nastia
    March 17, 2012

I’m planning on making this sometime soon and I just wanted to ask what other toppings I can use other than fruit because fruit is a little too costly over here..

March 17, 2012

You can also try frozen fruit such as raspberries or strawberries mixed with some sugar. Or make a chunky puree from frozen fruit and sugar and use that as a topping over the cream.

• Christine
    March 15, 2012

This looks wonderful! I’d like to try it but substitute the raspberries for blueberries and add some shaved chocolate on top. I wonder if adding a tiny bit of sugar to the fruit a few hours beforehand might get rid of some of the sour, since berries aren’t in season right now. Or is the tart a nice complement to the sweetness of the cream?

March 15, 2012

Christine, I think you could even use frozen berries and coarsely blend them with sugar and drizzle that over the top with some whole fruit to accent.

• InnaL
    February 14, 2012

How have I never heard of this yuminess? I am so going to have to try it. The pics are amazing 🙂

February 14, 2012

Thanks Inna. Don’t feel bad, I didn’t have one of these till I was,… well, lets just say it was in the past year. 😀

• Laura K
    February 13, 2012

you said that its crispy on the outside with gooey marshmellow on the inside, I never had it, but I thought it was crispy inside and out. does the gooey part means its still a little raw inside? I dont eat raw eggs….so i never tried this

February 13, 2012

It’s baked, just not dry so it’s more like a marshmallow inside. You are probably thinking of baccone dolce (spelling?) which is crisp on the inside and out. I’ll be making that soon 🙂

• Marina
    February 13, 2012

I will have to try this . Thank you Natasha!

• Julia
    February 12, 2012

I love it with berries and melted nutella drizzled on top 😀 mmmm

February 12, 2012

Oh my gosh, who doesn’t love nutella?? That sounds soo good!