Home > Dessert > Pie, Crumble > Apple Pie Recipe with the Best Filling (VIDEO)

Apple Pie Recipe with the Best Filling (VIDEO)

Classic Apple Pie Recipe with an irresistible homemade apple pie filling. From the best flaky pie crust to the generous saucy center, this recipe always gets glowing reviews. This is the pie everyone has to make for Thanksgiving!

We love apple recipes, from Baked Apples to Apple Slab Pie and let’s not forget Apple Cake. If you love apples, this apple pie is a must-try! Watch the video tutorial below and you’ll crave it until you make it.

Baked Apple Pie Recipe in pie dish

Apple Pie Recipe:

This Apple Pie is a treasure of a recipe. The filling was adapted slightly from the famous Grandma Ople apple pie. The method for this filling is surprising but it will win you over. It’s well worth the extra 5 minutes and you’ll never want canned apple pie filling again.

Apple Pie slice on a plate with fork

Apple Pie Crust:

We love this apple pie crust just as much as we love the filling. Since it’s an all-butter pie crust (no shortening), it’s flaky and tender. The bottom is never soggy but forms a crispness at the edges which doesn’t get any better.

Imagine roasted saucy apples bubbling through that flaky lattice crust. This is the only apple pie recipe you’ll ever need. Click to watch the pie crust video tutorial and print the recipe. We use this same crust for Blueberry Pie and Cherry Pie.

Crust for pie with ingredients to make pie including apples, sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon

The Best Apples for Apple Pie:

Any sweet/tart and crisp apple will do and you can adjust the sugar accordingly, we use a full cup of sugar for tart Granny Smith and slightly less for a sweeter apple such as Golden Delicious.

• Granny Smith – firm, tart and the gold standard for baking
  • Golden Delicious – balanced sweet/tart flavor
  • Jonagold – sweetness amplified by baking
  • Honeycrisp – ultra-crisp and sweet
  • Braeburn – crisp and doesn’t get mushy
  • Pink Lady – sweet and tart apples, hold their shape

Baked granny smith apples in pie on a plate

Our Favorite Tools to Make Pie:

You don’t need fancy equipment to make a pie. If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour until it forms pea-sized crumbles, then add 6-8 Tbsp ice-cold water, folding it in with a spatula between each addition. It’s easy as pie! Here are our favorite pie-making tools to make the job easier:

Apple pie slice on a plate with apples in background

To Keep Pie From Browning Too Fast:

If you find the edges of your pie are browning too quickly, Cut a 3″ circle out of the center of a square sheet of foil and loosely place with the dull-side down over the top of your pie.

More Fall Baking Recipes:

Fall always puts me in the mood for baking. All of these recipes are on our regular rotation. These recipes are easy to make and are so good, they are our go-to Thanksgiving recipes!

Watch How to Make Apple Pie:

With the right recipe, homemade apple pie is easier than you think. This crust comes together fast and requires basic ingredients you probably already have on hand. The filling is scrumptious and equally simple to make.

If you enjoyed this video for Apple Pie, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel (P.S. Click the BELL icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video). THANK YOU so much for subscribing!

Apple Pie Recipe with the Best Filling

Cook Time: 1 hour
Pie Crust Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours

Everyone has to make this Classic Apple Pie Recipe for Thanksgiving. You will love the flaky pie crust and the apple pie filling will surprise you.

Cost to Make: $10-$12 (varies by season)
Keyword: apple pie recipe
Course: Dessert
Calories: 379.61

1. Make the pie crust recipe and chill per instructions while preparing the filling. Preheat oven to 425˚F.

2. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 3 Tbsp flour then simmer for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Whisk in 1/4 cup water, 1 cup sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue simmering 3 minutes, whisking frequently then remove from heat.

3. Peel, remove cores and thinly slice 7 cups of apples and place them in a large bowl. Sprinkle the top with 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon and toss to combine. Pour the sauce over the apples and stir to coat the apple slices.

4. Sprinkle your work surface with flour and roll out bottom pie crust to a 12" diameter circle. Wrap it around your rolling pin to transfer it to the 9" pie plate. Add apple mixture, mounding slightly in the center and being careful not to get the filling on the edges which would make it difficult to seal.

5. Roll second crust into an 11" round and cut into 10 even thickness strips using a pizza cutter. Arrange strips in a woven lattice pattern over the top (see video tutorial). Beat together 1 egg and 1 Tbsp water and brush the top with egg mixture.

6. Bake at 425˚F in the center of the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350˚F and continue baking another 45 minutes or until apples are soft and filling is bubbling through the vents.* Rest at room temp 1 hour before serving.

Recipe Notes

*Place a sheet of foil on the rack below the apple pie to catch any potential drips from the pie.

Apple Pie Recipe with the Best Filling
Vitamin A 448.45IU9%
Vitamin C 5.87mg7%
Calcium 21.89mg2%
Iron 0.96mg5%

• Kelly S.
    December 2, 2021

This is an AWESOME apple pie recipe! My husband and I have enjoyed two of them in the past month or so 🙂

I have two questions:
    1. About how long would it last in the fridge?
    2. Can it be frozen?

Thanks again for sharing this fabulous recipe. I will be baking it regularly!

December 3, 2021

I’m happy to hear that this is both your favorite. This recipe can be made ahead. You can store it in the fridge already baked and cover it loosely with plastic wrap and reheat it the next day in the oven. I haven’t tried freezing this or making it ahead for a long time, and I worry if you assemble and leave it unbaked for two days, it will get soggy.

• Theresa
        December 23, 2021

Hi Natasha. I assemble this pie and freeze before baking. It bakes well from the frozen state. I just made three and froze them for Christmas gifts. They will bake them later.

December 23, 2021

Thank you so much for sharing that with me, Theresa!

• Mia Taylor
    November 28, 2021

This apple pie was absolutely perfect in every way. I read over and watched videos, of several other recipes before deciding on yours Natasha. I’m so glad I did, it turned out better than I imagined. It was a work of art and a masterpiece for the tastebuds. I wish I could upload a photo, I am so proud of it, mostly because I am not much of a baker. Thank you Natasha, I am so happy I found your site. you are a delight to watch as well, so cute!

November 29, 2021

Aaw, that is so wonderful! I’m happy to have seen your great comments and feedback. Feel free to share some photos of your creation on our Facebook page and group!

• Gosia
    November 27, 2021

Not my first pie, but this recepie was a little different and I was a little nervous about the outcome. OMG! Best apple pie ever! It came out perfect, beautiful and delicious. I wish I could post a pic.Thank you so much!!!

November 28, 2021

Love it! Please feel free to share some photos of your creation on our Facebook page or group so others can see them too. Glad you loved the result!

• Sohesna
    November 27, 2021

Thanks for sharing this recipe. I made this for the thanksgiving party and it was a hit. Its a perfect and best apple pie ever.

November 27, 2021

That’s just awesome! Thank you for sharing your wonderful review, Sohesna!

• Kristie
    November 27, 2021

This pie filling is delicious. I used the Spartan apples I had on hand and followed the recipe other than sprinkling some cinnamon and sugar on the top of the crust. Best apple pie I’ve ever made.

November 27, 2021

I love hearing this! This you for your great comment!

• Kelly H.
    November 26, 2021

I made this for Thanksgiving for family and friends. Everyone loved this apple pie. Not a bite left on anyones plate. Thank you for a great recipe. Will be making this again soon.

Kelly

November 27, 2021

You’re welcome! I’m so happy you enjoyed it, Kelly!

• Jodi Wail
    November 26, 2021

I have always made a good apple pie but this one up’d the game! Delicious! The one issue I have with any pie I make is keeping the lattice from falling apart when I cut it. I’ve tried both the egg wash and a milk wash. Neither seem to help. Any advice?

November 26, 2021

Hi Jodi, make sure to let it cool before slicing.

• Lainie
    November 26, 2021

From the video, it doesn’t look like you covered the pie in the oven at all. How do you keep the crust from getting too brown? In the video it came out such a light perfect color. Looks so good!

November 27, 2021

Hi Lainie, this pie has always turned out golden for us following the instructions. We reduce the heat as written, and there is no need for a shield. If you find your pie is too close to the heating element or your oven is running too high, you may need to shield it. I hope you love this recipe!

• Georgia
        June 17, 2022

Is there any chance you know what the 2 baking temperatures would be in the UK please. I’m hoping to make this tomorrow ready for father’s Day Sunday 🙂

• NatashasKitchen.com
          June 17, 2022

Hi Georgia. 425℉ is 218℃ and 325℉ is 176℃. I hope that helps.

• Maria
    November 26, 2021

Made it yesterday for Thanksgiving, my brother in law said: “It’s so good I could cry”. That sums it up. Thank you for great recipe!

November 26, 2021

Wow! I’m so happy to hear this was a hit! Thank you so much for sharing that with me.

• Denis
    November 26, 2021

Do you have a slow oven?
    Are you sure about that timing?

I did like you said 425 for 15 min. It kind of look cooked already. then lower to 350 check back 20 min. later. It was over cooked, all dark brown. How can you even keep it for 45 min. Did I missed something?

November 26, 2021

Hi Denis, be sure you are not using convection mode. Yes, that is the temperature we’re baking it at.

• Jennifer J
    November 26, 2021

My daughter and I made this pie first time and it was delicious! We followed this recipe and it worked! Thank you!

November 26, 2021

Nice, great to hear that it was a success on your first try!

• Elina
    November 26, 2021

Turned out too sweet and soupy, the crust was tasty though. Next time I will try without syrup.

November 26, 2021

Hi Elina, make sure to let the pie cool before cutting into it for the juices to set and thicken. Also, if it is under-baked, the apples won’t have time to release their natural pectin to thicken. The syrup actually helps the apples to thicken.

• Merry
    November 25, 2021

I used this apple pie recipe for Thanksgiving and it’s a keeper. I’m very hard to please when it comes to sweets and I always have it in mind that “if I’m eating sweets, it better be worth it”
    Note: I added 1/2 tsp of salt in the sauce.

• Naoko W.
    November 25, 2021

I used this recipe to make apple pie for the first time. It turned out super delicious! The sourness of the granny smith apples and the sweet sauce complement each other. Thank you for sharing a great recipe!

November 26, 2021

You are very welcome! It is awesome to hear that you enjoyed this recipe.

• Lindsey
    November 25, 2021

Wow! Absolutely amazing. I’m not a fan of apple pie, but I made this for Thanksgiving and tasted it myself. Only apple pie I’ll eat!

November 25, 2021

That’s so great! It sounds like you have a new favorite, Lindsey!

• Kat
    November 24, 2021

How long do you leave the foil on? -if using it to avoid burnt crust.

November 25, 2021

Hi Kat, I watch the pie and will put it on in the last 15 minutes of baking if I think the crust is getting too dark.

• Ali
    November 24, 2021

Hi there! So excited to try this recipe. For those who may reheat this the next day after pre-cooking. Do you have reheating instructions? Thank you!

November 25, 2021

Hi Ali, you can let it cool to room temperature then cover loosely and let it sit at room temperature overnight then reheat until warm the next day if you prefer to serve it warm.

• Margo Lynch-Kahn
    November 24, 2021

Hi, I am making this recipe for thanksgiving and I am making it the night before. Is this pie able to keep over night and if so what would be the most effective way to save it.

November 24, 2021

Hi Margo, yes, you can let it cool to room temperature then cover loosely and let it sit at room temperature overnight then reheat until warm the next day if you prefer to serve it warm.

• S. Gray
    November 24, 2021

This recipe is awesome!!! My family loved the apple pie and it was gone in minutes. Thank you Natasha. They have requested another pie for this evening.

November 24, 2021

That’s just awesome! Thank you for sharing your wonderful review, S! It sounds like you have a new family favorite!

• Sally

Hello
    We are baking your pie for thanksgiving and are wondering if we need to bake it at 425 degrees because it seems really hot for a pie?

November 24, 2021

Hi Sally, that’s right, we baked it at 425 F.

• Michelle Hamilton
    November 24, 2021

Can I make this the night before Thanksgiving and leave it out?

November 24, 2021

Hi Michelle, yes absolutely! We do that and it works great. Once it’s completely at room temperature, loosely cover with plastic wrap so it doesn’t get dry on top.

• Jessica
    November 24, 2021

This recipe sounds amazing and your video is super helpful – I’m making it right now and broke the sauce 😩 any way to fix it?

November 24, 2021

Hi Jessica, the good news is that it doesn’t matter if the sauce broke, just mix it with the apples and it will all meld and get saucy in the oven without any problems.

• Sarah
    November 24, 2021

Hi! Can I make the filling – cover it tightly – and put it in the refrigerator overnight for tomorrow?

November 24, 2021

Hi Sarah, we prefer it fresh, but I imagine that may work!

• Kayla
    November 23, 2021

I made this recipe last year the day of thanksgiving but this year I want to make it a day before. How long do I have to reheat it for?

November 23, 2021

Hi Kayla, yes, you can let it cool to room temperature then cover loosely and let it sit at room temperature overnight then reheat until warm the next day if you prefer to serve it warm.

• Crystal
    November 23, 2021

I’ve made this pie twice now and the 2nd time the bott ended up soggy. What did I do wrong cuz I wanted to try again tonight for Thanksgiving?!

• Crystal
      November 23, 2021

And by soggy I mean the bottom crust seemed almost underdone.

November 23, 2021

Hi Crystal, I haven’t had that happen before. Did you make sure to fully preheat your oven before placing the pie in the oven? Some ovens (like my own) don’t preheat fully when they say they are preheated so I let it heat an extra 10 minutes. You can gauge this with an in-oven thermometer to hang in the center of your oven to track the accuracy of the oven. Also, I would bake right after adding the filling without it sitting on the counter which can soften the butter in the dough and make it soggy. I hope that helps.

• Merry
      November 25, 2021

Note: I added 1/2 tsp of salt in the sauce.

November 26, 2021

Thanks for the review, Merry. Glad to know that you enjoyed this recipe!

• Tricia
    November 23, 2021

Can I make the filling ahead of time, and just put into the crust to bake when needed? Looks great!

November 23, 2021

Hi Tricia, This recipe can be made ahead. You can store it in the fridge already baked, cover it loosely with plastic wrap, and reheat it the next day in the oven. I haven’t tried freezing this or making it ahead for a long time, and I worry if you assemble and leave it unbaked for two days, it will get soggy.

• Melissa
    November 23, 2021

Hey Natasha instead of using water can you use apple juice?also this pie and crust recipe is amazing and my whole family loves it and ate it all

November 23, 2021

Hi Melissa, great to hear that your family loves this pie. I haven’t tested that yet to advise. If you do an experiment, please share with us how it goes.

• Betsy
    November 23, 2021

If I fully bake and refrigerate the pie one day in advance what is the best temperature to reheat the pie? How long would it take to heat through?

November 23, 2021

Hi Betsy, you can reheat it the next day in the oven for 350°F.

• Heaven!
    November 23, 2021

Can xylitol be used in the apples & pie dough instead of real sugar & if so how much? I am looking for a homemade yet simple apple pie recipe for my mother-in-law for this thanksgiving! Please Help asap! I want to bake it today & give to her tomorrow! Thanks So Very Much!

November 23, 2021

Hi there, I honestly haven’t tested this recipe yet using xylitol. If you do an experiment, please share with us how it goes.

• Heaven
        November 23, 2021

How do I store this wonderful smelling pie? Just baked & pie looks Great! Just don’t want to store wrong & mess up this Heavenly creation!

November 23, 2021

If making it a day ahead, I would let it cool to room temperature, then cover and keep it at room temperature overnight. If keeping it beyond 24 hours, I would refrigerate it. It’s nicely served warmed or at room temperature, but it does reheat well.

• Deb Mon
    November 23, 2021

Mine pie is very juicy around the edges. It’s cooling so not sure what the final result will be. Smells great.

November 23, 2021

I bet your home smells lovely! I hope you love this recipe, Deb!

• Halley
    November 22, 2021

Hi there- I was wondering if this recipe can be made with premade frozen store bought pie crust?

November 22, 2021

Hi Halley, I believe the homemade version is best and worth it, but our readers have reported excellent results using store-bought crusts.

• Mazal
    November 22, 2021

Can I make it with vegan butter?im kosher and butter can’t be paired with the Turkey.
    Thx.

November 22, 2021

Hi Mazal, I havne’t tried that substitution to advise. If you experiment, let me know how you liked the recipe, but here’s what one of our readers wrote: “I made this recipe as is the first time except I used vegan butter and honey crisp apples and it was definitely the highlight of our Thanksgiving dinner. Yummmmy!!! Now, I have a gluten-free family member who’d also like to enjoy the pie. Is almond flour a suitable choice for this recipe? Please help.” I hope that helps!

• Trey B.
    November 22, 2021

Mine turned out really soupy, even after I let it cool fir a few hours

November 22, 2021

Hi Trey, that is unusual – did you possibly make any changes in the proportions of apples to the syrup? Also, be sure to bake long enough since the apples release their natural pectin in the oven which helps the filling thicken up more.

• Elisa
    November 20, 2021

Can this pie be made a head, and then baked on the day of serving? I wasn’t sure if the Apple filling would make the dough soggy. I’m just trying to have as much food made ahead for Thanksgiving. Thank you!

November 20, 2021

Hi Elisa, I haven’t tested it that way, but I would not assemble the pie until ready to bake. The crust might get soggy if you keep it refrigerated overnight. It would be better to bake the pie and let it rest and cool at room temperature overnight to serve tomorrow.

• Karen
    November 20, 2021

Sorry I asked about making the apple pie in ramekin but what I meant is the apple crisp

Thanks

November 20, 2021

Hi Karen, I did try it, and it wasn’t great for apple crisp. I have an apple crisp recipe here if you’d like to try that!

• Karen
    November 20, 2021

I would like to use your apple pie recipe but bake it in ramekins Can you please advise me on this – Want to use for Thanksgiving Thanks

November 20, 2021

Hi Karen, I haven’t tested this. Here’s what one of our readers wrote: “I made it in 7 small ramekins, and it turned out delicious.” I hope that helps!

• Anya
    November 19, 2021

So my 12 yo daughter tried to make the pie again! She would not give up! She was watching her pie this time and it was done in less time than in the recipe. Also, the juice from pie was running over, so it would be helpful to have a baking sheet underneath.
    She made braided top.
    The pie took third place out of 23 pies!

November 22, 2021

Congratulations to your daughter on winning 3rd place – that’s wonderful and I would love to see a photo of it. If you share it on social media, please tag me @natashaskitchen so I can admire it. If it’s browning too quickly, make sure to tent with foil. Some ovens heat unevenly or if the pie is too close to the burner it can change color faster, but a sheet of foil over the top will help. I haven’t had any drip issues with this pie, but the size of the pan can make a big difference, but I loved your tip about foil – I added that note in the print-friendly recipe card.

• Sara
    November 19, 2021

This is my go to pie filling recipe but I have to make a gluten free apple pie for work and was wondering if anyone has tested this out swapping the all purpose flour for bobs red mill 1 to 1 baking flour? Or any other suggestions to get the same results with a gluten free version? Thank you!

November 19, 2021

Hi Sara! I’m happy to hear this is your go-to! I looked through the comments, and it doesn’t look like anyone has tried this with gluten-free flour. If you experiment, I would love to know how it works out.

• Sherry Kroon
        November 25, 2021

If you use Cup 4 Cup Flour and use 1/2 C. Less it’s perfect! This is my favorite GF pie crust!!

November 25, 2021

That is amazing! I’m so happy to hear that this works as a gluten-free crust and thank you for sharing that specific substitution. So helpful!

• Sara
        November 27, 2021

I did make the recipe using the Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 flour and the only difference I noticed compared to the regular flour is that the sauce thickened a bit faster, probably due to the cornstarch in the gluten free flour. Tasted exactly the same and got rave reviews from everyone that tried it!

• Jenny
      November 24, 2021

I’ve done the filling twice now with bob one to one flour and it works great! I use a different pie crust recipe though.

• Anya
    November 19, 2021

Please include in your recipe directions to check on the pie before given time for baking. My 12 yo daughter made it yesterday and followed the recipe to the T (without my involvement) only to over bake it. It’s not completely burnt but close to it. Bummer. We have to look for another recipe.

• Sarah
    November 19, 2021

You are precious and I love your videos! This is the perfect pie recipe, and you’re right, so worth the extra effort to make your pie crust instead of store bought!

November 19, 2021

I’m so glad you loved it! Thank you for your compliment!

• Virginia
        November 19, 2021

I love all your recipes I’m wondering how many refrigerators you have and I never have enough room in twoyour is always not filled ??

November 19, 2021

Hi Virginia, we have one refrigerator in the house and one in the garage that is a fridge and freezer. We also have a separate deep freezer in the garage. It’s wonderful having a second fridge especially for gatherings and just to keep a stock of extra foods for meal prep and all of the cooking we do for the website ofcourse.

• Monika
    November 19, 2021

Hi,
    I have done your apple pie numerous occasions now and it always turn out delicious:-)
    I’m only struggling with the amount of butter for the apple sauce… can you kindly tell me how much in grams is 8 tablespoons of butter as I’m always doing this part intuitional 😉

November 19, 2021

I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Monika! If you scroll down to our printable recipe card, most of our recipes have a metric conversion option on the printable recipe card. We are currently working on adding metric measurements to all of our recipes, but it is taking some time to add them one at a time. Thank you so much for being patient! In the meantime, check out our post on measuring which should help.

• Sylvia
    November 17, 2021

Hello. I plan on making your apple pie for thanksgiving. My question is when you make the filling, does it have to be a stainless steel saucepan or any kind of saucepan . Not sure if it will make a difference on the outcome of the filling.
    Thank you.

November 18, 2021

Hi Sylvia, the stainless steel worked great for this recipe, but I bet other saucepans will yield a similar result.

• Shari
    November 16, 2021

Apple pie was a huge disappointment! The cinnamon overpowers the apples, and isn’t good. Would not use this recipe again.

Also used the pie crust recipe. I’ve never used a food processor before gi make crust. Maybe I did something wrong, because it came out tough and not flaky.

Overall, the apple pie was a flop and most of it went in the trash!

November 17, 2021

Hi Shari, bummer! This is a very popular recipe for us and I am always happy to help troubleshoot. This recipe has just a small amount of cinnamon – did you possibly use a tablespoon measurement instead of a teaspoon measuring spoon? It’s easy to overlook that. Also, with the crust, it should be flaky and tender – it sounds like it was over-processed in the food processor. I highly recommend watching our pie dough video tutorial to see where things started to look different. that should help.

• Simona
    November 15, 2021

It happens way too often to find awful recipes on the Internet, but this was definitely not one of such occasions! This pie is just awesome. The crust is the best I ever tasted, it’s a keeper for ages to come, and the filling is delicious. For those who haven’t tried this, yet: do it immediately. You’ll be very happy to taste it.
    Grateful greetings from Italy.

November 15, 2021

You made me a litter nervous at the start of your comment – ha ha! Thank you for the wonderful review.

• Lena
    November 15, 2021

When I make apples pies (I use Granny Smith apples), the bottom always seems sogging & not fully cooked. I do put flour or corn starch in my apples but this doesn’t help. What can I do to get a cooked bottom? Thank you!

PS: I love all your recipes & video.

November 15, 2021

Hi Lena, I haven’t had that issue with this particular pie recipe. It could be the recipe you’re using?

• Sarah
    November 14, 2021

I have made this recipe, exact… twice! And it has been too runny and undercooked…. 😭 when I make the sauce in the pan, its thick but once I try to bake it and follow the direction exact, failed both times. What am I doing wrong? 🙁

November 15, 2021

Hi Sarah, maybe it could be the number of apples used or any substitutions made? Also, not baking long enough would affect how the syrup thickens up. Lastly, you want the pie to rest and cool for the juices to thicken before slicing into it.

• Olesya
      November 16, 2021

I have the same issue with a runny filling. I searched up online for some tips on how to avoid runny filling and one of the tips is to coat cut up apples in sugar and cinnamon prior to mixing it with the sauce. Sugar and cinnamon will absorb the excess of apple juices and prevent your filling from getting watery.
      Another tip was to add starch into the mixture prior to pouring it into your pie crust.
      I will try both next time.

• Olesya
        November 16, 2021

This pie is delicious goodness! 😃
        I will have to work on getting the filling thicker. I followed your instructions carefully but it turned out a bit watery. Might be the apples being too juicy lol
        Thank you Natasha! I use lots of your recipes in my cooking for the last year or so. LOVE IT!

• Gayle Marshall
    November 14, 2021

Thank you for giving us a delicious recipe for fresh apple pie. I did notice a discrepancy. This may have been addressed but – the recipe calls for an egg wash on the top with one egg and a tablespoon of water. Your video says one egg and a tablespoon of sugar. I did both. Just curious. Love your videos.

November 15, 2021

Hi Gayle, I misspoke in the video (like a verbal typo), and there’s no fixing video audio once it’s out there. Sorry about that, and there is no sugar in the egg wash. I’m so happy you loved it anyway and that this has become your new favorite. I wonder if I’m missing out by not putting sugar in my egg wash?

• Carol
        November 19, 2021

Natasha, I had the same question about the sugar and just made one with that instead of water. I’ve made this before (twice and still never noticed the discrepency) and it has always been perfect. So, I guess will see how it tastes tomorrow! (We do a family Thanksgiving the Saturday before). I’m guessing its going to be pretty good, because that’s just the kind of optimist I am 🙂

November 14, 2021

Hi Natasha! I love your recipes and was wondering if I could completely built this pie and then freeze it before baking? I want to make this pie for Thanksgiving but want to make it ahead of time and then bake last minute. Any suggestions?
    Thanks a bunch,
    Other Natasha. 😊

November 14, 2021

• Goody
    November 12, 2021

This recipe seems off. The butter to flour ratio doesn’t make a roux as it does in the video, 1-2tbsps more flour otherwise it’s a broken caramel sauce.

November 13, 2021

Hi Goody, it will all work out once it’s baked. If the sauce is overheated, it can get thicker and seem broken when mixed with the apples, but once it is baked the sauce will be lovely.

• Ruba
    November 12, 2021

Dear Natasha…what are your thoughts about precooking the apple filling?

November 12, 2021

Hi Ruba, you do not have to pre-cook the apples for this apple pie filling.

• Marla
    November 11, 2021

Will be be traveling for Thanksgiving and wanted to make the pies ahead of time and freeze. Any chance you have now tried this since earlier comments posted on freezing? Wondering if I should bake and then freeze, or prep them and freeze and bake on the day I want to use? Thanks

November 11, 2021

Hi Marla, I haven’t tested freezing that but I think it could work. If you experiment, let me know how you liked the recipe.

• Karen M PARDUE
    November 10, 2021

can i make pie and freeze ahead of thanksgiving Love your recipes Cant wait for your cookbook

November 10, 2021

Hi Karen, I haven’t tested freezing that but I think it could work. If you experiment, let me know how you liked the recipe.

• Annie
    November 6, 2021

Amazing pie!!! 10/10 recommend this recipe. I really loved the filling. Make sure to slice your apples thinly so they really melt in your mouth. Her pie recipe was good too.

November 7, 2021

Thanks for the reminder, Annie. That’s awesome feedback, thanks for the review!

• Lori
    November 3, 2021

Question…do you need to blind bake the pie crust before baking it with the apple filling?

Thx

November 3, 2021

Hi Lori, blind baking the pie crust is not necessary for this apple pie.

• Ester Gorbun
    November 2, 2021

I think your number 2 instruction is missing the butter? It just says to whisk in flour!:)

November 2, 2021

Hi Ester. Step #2 on the printable recipe cards reads: “Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 3 Tbsp flour then simmer for 1 minute”. I hope that helps.

• Lori
    October 31, 2021

My filling didn’t set up, and I followed the recipe exactly. Any suggestions? The taste was excellent, but super runny.

November 1, 2021

Hi Lori, if it’s still to runny, you can try cooking it down a bit more.

• Teodora
    October 31, 2021

Hello Natasha! I made your apple pie yesterday and it was a huge hit! I had never made apple pie (or crust) before, as my husband was the pie king in our house, so I was a little hesitant, but it came out wonderful! I will be using this recipe from now on! Thank you so much!! 🙂

November 1, 2021

I’m so happy to hear that! Thank you for sharing your great review, Teodora!

• Zakieh
    October 30, 2021

Hi. Thanks for the wonderful recipe! I’m currently out of all-purpose flour for making the crust.Is it possible to use rice flour instead?

October 30, 2021

Hi Zakieh, I haven’t tested that to advise on the outcome. With a substitution like that, I imagine you will need to alter other ingredients as well. If you experiment, let me know how you liked the recipe.

• Art
    October 28, 2021

Natasha! Your Apple Pie recipe
    HIT A HOME RUN
    better yet
    A GRAND SLAM

October 29, 2021

Thank you for a perfect comment, appreciate it!

• diane
    October 25, 2021

I have a bushel of Granny Smith from the orchard. Can I make several batches of pie filling and freeze in freezer bags to be baked throughout the holidays?

October 25, 2021

Hi Diane, I haven’t tried freezing the filling alone with this recipe specifically. If you experiment I would love to know how you like that!

• Joseph
    October 24, 2021

wonderful recipe < mom and now I. always add a Mackintosh apple withe Granny Smiths. the additional Mackintosh will melt down and create a thickening juice thus no flour. try this but dice up that apple or use two iff their small " Good Appetite "

October 24, 2021

Thanks for sharing that with us, Joseph, and we appreciate your review.

• Cindy
    October 22, 2021

What size is the pie plate that you used for the apple pie ..it looks like a deep dish ?

• Julie Lewis
    October 20, 2021

Could this pie filling recipe be used for canning? It is so delicious! I am not a fan of most canned apple pie filling recipes. Apple pie is best when it makes its own juice.

October 20, 2021

Hi Julie, I haven’t tried canceling that myself to advise.

• Steve
    October 20, 2021

Loved it, absolutely yummy, yummy. yummy – I’ll be making it again !!!

October 20, 2021

I’m so happy to hear that! Thank you for sharing your great review, Steve!

• Lisa
    October 19, 2021

I’ve just cooked your amazing pie recipe. I haven’t tasted it yet as I’m taking it to a special dinner. The instructions are super easy to follow. Thanks for this great video

October 20, 2021

I hope you love it and thanks for sharing that with us.

• Doris
    October 18, 2021

DELICIOUS. Will always make my apple pie this way. Made it for company and they loved it as well.

October 18, 2021

That’s so great! It sounds like you have a new favorite, Doris!

• Gerbie
    October 17, 2021

Hi
    I want to make individual 5″ pies. Can I use this recipe and divide the filling? Will your pie crust recipe also work on these small tins? How long will the pies last in fridge and/or counter? I’m sorry for all the questions, but I really want to try your pie recipes and make them in 5″ pie tins for Thanksgiving. Thank you in advance@

October 17, 2021

Hello there, that sounds like a good idea however I haven’t tested that yet to advise. If you do an experiment, please share with us how it goes.

• Rosemarie McKinney
    October 13, 2021

Hi Natasha, I just made my second pie. This time I even did the crust! This pie is amazing!! I used Honey crisp apples, a quick shake of vanilla and a pinch of allspice in addition to the cinnamon and the flavor is amazing!! My pies were always watery, I could never seem to get it right! Those days are history!! I shared your video with a coworker and his family lived the pie as well. Thanks so much for sharing.! I hope to post photos on your FB page soon.

October 14, 2021

That is awesome, Rosemarie. I’m glad that you found a perfect recipe that you love. Thank you for sharing my recipes with your coworkers and friends too!

• Vanesa
    October 12, 2021

Amazing recipe! Thank you so much for taking time to do a video with it! my question is, can this pie be assembled for freezing and baking at a later date? Not that I mind eating it immediately but if I can bake some for family to pop in the oven on Thanksgiving or Christmas morning, that would be over the top awesome!

October 12, 2021

You’re welcome, Vanesa. This recipe can be made ahead. You can store it in the fridge already baked and cover it loosely with plastic wrap and reheat it the next day in the oven. I haven’t tried freezing this or making it ahead for a long time, and I worry if you assemble and leave it unbaked for two days, it will get soggy.

• Jenna
    October 12, 2021

Hey Natasha, I want to make this but I have to make it showing how to prevent enzymic browning, could I add lemon juice to the final apple mixture?

October 12, 2021

Hi Jenna, I haven’t tried that to advise. If you do an experiment, please share with us how it goes.

• Jenna
        October 13, 2021

Yes I will thank you, another quick question – can I make this pie with store brought puff pastry?

October 13, 2021

Hi Jenna, I haven’t tested that so I’m not sure how that would work. I would be concerned about the crust shrinking in, but without testing I can’t say for sure.

• L
      October 16, 2021

The cinnamon actually prevents browning. Not sure how, but I know this because I make cinnamon apples as a snack pretty regularly (slice up and apple, put it in a baggie, add cinnamon, seal baggie and shake to coat). The apples will last all day with just the cinnamon!

• Anna L
    October 10, 2021

Made it for the first time and it was delicious! Our family of 6 finished the whole thing for dessert for our Canadian Thanksgiving. I love apple pie but never buy it because store bought is too sweet. I used Granny Smith apples and the sugar amount in this recipe was perfect.
    Thank you Natasha!

October 11, 2021

You are very welcome, Anna. Happy to know that your family loved this Apple Pie recipe!

• Deb
    October 10, 2021

I’m going make this tomorrow. Can’t wait. I LOVE good pie crust, so I’d prefer to use a full top crust. If I do, I wonder if the filling will end up too runny because less moisture will evaporate than if I used a lattice crust. What do you think?

October 10, 2021

Hello Deb, I think that will be okay. If you try this recipe with some revisions, please share with us how it goes.

• Pete
    October 10, 2021

G’day Natasha, I haven’t tried your recipe yet but I intend too. Should the apples be cooked before adding the sauce mixture? If so how do you cook the apples please mate?

October 10, 2021

Hello Pete, you can see the Salad Spinner that I use here in my Amazon Affiliate Shop.

• Pete
        October 11, 2021

G’day mate, sorry what has the “salad spinner got to do with my question regarding do i need to cook the apples for this Apple Pie recipe Natasha? If so what’s the best way to cook/stew apples please mate? Pete

October 11, 2021

Hi Pete, you do not have to pre-cook the apples for this apple pie filling.

• Pete
            October 12, 2021

G’day Natasha, thanks very much for your reply mate. I will give your apple pie recipe a crack over the weekend 🙂

Pete

• October 12, 2021

Enjoy! Let me know what you think

• Nancy from Canada
    October 9, 2021

Can I make this the night before, can I reheat it for the next day?

October 10, 2021

Hi Nancy, yes that would work great. you can let it cool to room temperature then cover loosely and let it sit at room temperature overnight then reheat until warm the next day if you prefer to serve it warm.

• Aksinya Litovkin
    October 9, 2021

Hello!
    I noticed that in direction number 6 it says to mix one egg with 1 TBS of water but in the video tutorial you say 1 TBS of sugar.

October 10, 2021

Hi, that was my mistake. I meant to say mix with 1 Tbsp of water and it was a verbal typo. The written recipe is correct.

• Carol Ann
      October 23, 2021

I’ve baked a lot of pies and cakes over the years and this is easily the BEST pie I’ve ever made. It beet out my favorite bumbleberry pie. Absolutely perfect and the crust was so easy and delicious.

October 23, 2021

I am so happy to hear that. That is quite a compliment and I appreciate it very much!