Berry Crumb Cake Recipe (VIDEO)
Must-try Berry Crumb Cake Recipe with a buttery crunchy topping, juicy layer of strawberries, blueberries and blackberries and a soft, airy cake. This crumb cake rises beautifully and looks stunning. No one has to know it’s SUPER EASY!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
There is a surprising liquid ingredient in this cake which creates light and fluffy forkfuls of cake. Watch the crumb cake video recipe and print the recipe below!
➡ PIN This Recipe to Your Dessert Board HERE
Berry Crumb Cake Recipe:
We absolutely love these single layer easy summer cake recipes like our (most popular) Blueberry Lemon Cake, this Easy Peasy Strawberry Cake, or our gluten free Almond Cake! They are quick to make and they disappear even faster. You don’t need any special equipment and most are baked in a single Springform pan (Amazon affiliate link).
We love this crumb cake because it’s very forgiving and you can use a variety of fruit to make it your own; even summer stone fruit like sliced peaches, plums or cherries… yum! I hope this becomes a new favorite for you.
Club Soda or Seltzer Water in Baking:
Have you tried using sparkling water in baking? The more carbonated the better! The air bubbles make baked goods fluffier along with pancakes, waffles and batters like tempura. Try your own experiments, replacing water with sparkling water/ club soda or setlzer water and see what happens!
Can I use frozen berries in baking?
- Fresh berries work best for this cake. If you are unable to get all 3 berries fresh, you can sub one of them with frozen but they may be more likely to sink deeper into the cake or discover the top of the cake.
- You can also use ONLY strawberries, or only blackberries or blueberries and have it just a single berry cake. It will still be just as delicious.
- If using all frozen berries, it would probably take a little longer to bake but check at 45 minutes for doneness.
How to Test a Cake for Doneness:
Most cake recipes will provide a range for baking times because not all ovens are created equal; some run hotter than others. If you want to ensure you are baking a moist cake, it’s always best to start checking a cake at the earlier timing given.
How to tell when a cake is done? It’s as simple as inserting a toothpick or thin wooden skewer into the center of a cake. You know the cake is done if there are no streaks of wet batter clinging to the toothpick. A few crumbs are ok but not wet batter.
Watch How to Make this Cake:
Watch Natasha Make this easy Crumb Cake. Let me know how many “TRICK SHOTS” you spot in the video and what you thought of that. I would love to hear your feedback!
Print-Friendly Recipe for Crumb Cake:
Berry Crumb Cake Recipe
Ingredients for Berry Cake:
How to Make Berry Crumb Cake Recipe:
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line the bottom of a springform pan with a ring of parchment paper. Grease sides lightly with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer (or stand mixer), beat together eggs and sugar on high speed 5 minutes until thick. Stir in 1/4 cup olive oil.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Add 1/2 flour mixture to the batter, mixing on low speed just until incorporated.
- Stir in 1 Tbsp lemon zest and 1 tsp vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add 1/3 cup club soda, mixing until incorporated.
- Add remaining 1/2 of flour mixture, transfer to prepared pan and even out the top with a spatula. Place berries somewhat evenly over the top.
How to Make Crumb Topping & Assembly:
- In a medium bowl, combine the crumble topping ingredients. Rub the butter and flour together with your finger tips to create crumbs. Bake 45-50 min. until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Ours was perfect at 48 min and be sure not to over-bake or the cake will turn out dry.
Nutrition Per Serving
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
I’d pass you a slice of this loaded berry cake if I could! If you bake this cake, or any of our cakes, let me know and I’d love to see you post a picture of it in our private Facebook group (click here and request to join). Have a delicious week my friends!
Loads of Love, -Natasha