Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs are quick, simple and perfectly cooked every time! Learn how to make soft boiled, medium, or hard boiled eggs in the instant pot to use in your favorite hard boiled egg recipes.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs:
For years, we only made stove-top hard boiled eggs until we discovered the instant pot. This method is quick and easy whether you are making 2 eggs or a dozen hard boiled eggs. It is so easy to make batch after batch. The results are always consistent which means no more over-cooked green egg yolks!
Finally! Easy Peel Hard Boiled Eggs:
The instant pot is the best way to Hard Boil Farm-Fresh Eggs because they are easy to peel. I used to hate boiling my Mom’s fresh eggs because half of the whites were lost with the shell after peeling. They were a mess and so ugly for deviled eggs. The instant pot is by far the best way to hard boil fresh farm eggs because cooking the eggs in a pressure cooker makes them easy to peel.
Tips for the Best Instant Pot Eggs:
- Timings below are for large eggs. For medium eggs, reduce cook time by 1 minute and increase by 1 minute for extra large eggs.
- Start with refrigerated eggs.
- It’s ok to stack eggs on the rack, but eggs should not touch the water or walls of the instant pot.
- Transfer cooked eggs to a bowl of ice water right away to prevent overcooking.
- We use a 6 Qt 7-in-1 Instant Pot Duo. You may need to experiment timings using a smaller or larger pressure cooker.
How to Hard Boil Eggs in Instant Pot:
- Place the wire rack (that comes with the instant pot) in the bowl of the instant pot. Add 1 cup water. Place 2-12 eggs on the rack (so they aren’t touching the water).
- Secure the lid and set lever to “sealing.” Set to manual “high pressure” and set timer for desired doneness (5 min for soft boiled, 6-8 min for medium boiled, 9-10 minutes for hard boiled). Once instant pot reaches high pressure (which takes 5-6 minutes), your set timer will automatically start counting down.
- As soon as your timer is up, use a hot mitt to switch the lever to “venting” position and a hot burst of steam will release. When pressure is fully released and the pressure indicator has dropped, remove lid, use tongs to transfer the hot eggs to a bowl of ice water and let rest 5 minutes to stop the cooking process.
How Long to Boil Eggs in the Instant Pot:
Instant Pot Soft Boiled Eggs: 5 minutes on high pressure was what it took for consistently fully cooked egg whites with a wet yolk. I’ve seen several tutorials say 4, 3 or even 2 minutes, but I found anything less than 5 minutes to have a portion of the whites still a little wet and more difficult to peel.
Medium Boiled Eggs: A range of 6-8 minutes seemed to all produced medium boiled eggs. These have fully cooked whites with a tender and somewhat creamy center.
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs: It took from 9-10 minutes on high pressure with 10 minutes being a dry yolk – the ideal texture for making deviled eggs.
Safety Tips for Cooking Eggs in Instant Pot:
- If you are new to the instant pot, read the owners manual and be sure to follow the use instructions for your specific model.
- Always double check the pressure indicator popup has dropped indicating there is no more pressure behind it before opening the lid.
- When releasing pressure, a surprisingly strong spurt of hot steam releases from the valve. Keep your face and others away from the machine while depressurizing.
- Use tongs to remove the eggs because they will be blazing hot.
Must-Try Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Beef Plov – the tastiest rice pilaf!
- White Chicken Chili – 30 minute instant pot dinner
- Instant Pot Dulce De Leche – so quick and easy
- Chicken stock – nutrient rich bone broth in just 2 hours!
I hope you give instant pot hard boiled eggs method a try. If you have farm fresh eggs or struggle with peeling, this easy peel hard boiled eggs method is keeper!
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- 12 eggs, (refrigerated)
- 1 cup water
- Place wire rack (that comes with instant pot) in the bowl of the instant pot. Add 1 cup water.Arrange 2-12 eggs on the rack (so they aren't touching the water or bowl).
- Secure the lid and set lever to "sealing" position. Cook on manual "high pressure" and set timer for desired doneness (5 min for soft boiled, 6-8 min for medium, 9-10 minutes for hard boiled eggs). Once instant pot reaches high pressure (which takes 5-6 minutes), your set timer will automatically start counting down.
- As soon as your timer is up, use a hot mitt to switch the lever to "venting" position (a hot burst of steam will release). When pressure is fully released and pressure indicator has drops, remove lid and use tongs to transfer hot eggs to a bowl of ice water for 5 minutes before peeling.
Nutrition Per Serving
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen