Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe
There’s nothing like the citrusy and peppery flavor of Baked Lemon Pepper Wings. Whether you’re hosting a casual group for dinner or are serving Chicken Wings for game day, these easy-baked wings are sure to please. Juicy and crispy with a fraction of the fat of fried versions!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Baked Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe
Lemon pepper wings are often outshined by classic chicken wings or buffalo wings, but they are truly just as good. Instead of reinventing the wheel and making your own lemon pepper seasoning, simply grab a shaker of the premade stuff to make prep a no-brainer. Then, you’ll let the oven work its magic and make a perfect crispy wing.
Ingredients for Lemon Pepper Wings
- Chicken Wings – For the most even-cooking, opt for chicken wings that have been broken down into drumettes (the ones that look like mini chicken legs) and wingettes (the oblong wing pieces). You can use full chicken wings, but they’ll take a bit longer to cook and you’ll need to trim off the wing tip.
- Avocado Oil or Olive Oil – Either high-quality avocado oil or olive oil are neutral enough and great for high-heat cooking. Avoid using canola or vegetable oil, as they don’t have the best flavor for baking and are more common for deep-frying.
- Unsalted Butter – Opt for unsalted butter since you’ll be using a salty, lemon pepper seasoning. Feel free to adjust the salt levels to taste as you wish though!
- Lemon-Pepper Seasoning – Our favorites are Lawry’s Lemon Pepper Seasoning or McCormick Lemon Pepper Seasoning if you need a solid recommendation.
Pro Tip: There’s no need to season the wings before you toss them in the oven. The lemon pepper coating at the end is flavorful enough on its own!
How to Make Lemon Pepper Wings
- Prepare the Chicken Wings – Preheat the oven to 400°F. Pat the chicken wings dry with a paper towel, place them into a large bowl, and drizzle them with oil.
- Assemble the Chicken Wings – Place on a baking sheet with a bit of space in between each one. Don’t overcrowd the chicken wings, or else they won’t have enough space to get crispy!
- Bake the Chicken Wings – bake for 40 minutes or until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Make the Lemon Pepper Butter Sauce – Melt the butter in a medium size bowl and stir in lemon pepper seasoning. Pour the sauce over the wings and toss until well-coated then serve.
Pro Tip: If you like the extra smokey flavor, feel free to grill the wings instead! To do so, preheat the grill to 400°F and place the chicken wings onto the grill grates. Cook the wings on each side for about 7-10 minutes or until golden and crispy.
Lemon pepper wings are somewhere in between a dry and wet wing. The lemon pepper butter sauce gets a bit liquidy from the melted butter, but once they are coated and seasoned, the wings are more on the dry seasoning side.
Yes! Place the wings in the air frying basket, spacing them evenly. Air fry at 400˚F for 8 minutes per side, or a total of 16 minutes, or until chicken wings are crisp and golden brown on the outside. Check out our Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe.
Yes, baked lemon pepper wings are healthier than fried wings because they use a fraction of the oil and always come nice and crispy.
Some people use baking powder on their baked chicken wings as a secret ingredient to make them even more crispy. Baking powder dries the skin out a bit and brings them closer to the crispiness of deep-fried wings.
Ways to Serve
Whether you want to eat a healthy low-carb meal or are in the mood for something more decadent and comforting, try these tasty sides with your ultra-crispy chicken wings:
- Potato Dishes – Pair the wings with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Baked Potato Wedges, or Roasted Potatoes if you want some classic comfort food.
- Salads – If you want to keep things light, serve the wings alongside a Caesar Salad or a Classic Wedge Salad.
- Appetizer with Dips – If you want to whip up a crowd-pleasing appetizer for game day or a potluck, pair them with Jalapeño Ranch or some blue cheese dressing.
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, you’ll love that these chicken wings store well and reheat nicely.
- Refrigerate: To keep your lemon pepper chicken wings fresh for up to a week, store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
- To Reheat: Pop them back in the oven on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil until warmed through. You can also reheat them in the basket of an air fryer if you have one.
Pro Tip: Avoid microwaving the wings, as they will lose their crispy texture.
More Tasty Baked Chicken Recipes
- Oven-Baked Chicken Breast
- Chicken Legs in the Oven
- Baked Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- Juicy Roast Chicken
- Baked Chicken Wings
Baked Lemon Pepper Wings Recipe
Baked Lemon Pepper Wings are crispy outside and tender inside. This is one of the easiest chicken wing recipes and you'll love the lemon pepper butter sauce.
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the chicken wings into a large bowl and drizzle them with oil.
Place wings on a baking sheet, leaving space between each one. Bake the chicken wings for 40 minutes or until they turn golden brown and crispy.
Melt the butter in a medium size bowl and stir in lemon pepper seasoning. Add the wings to the butter mixture and toss until the wings are evenly coated in the seasoning. Serve while the wings are still warm. Enjoy!