Home > Main Course > Pizza > Pizza Dough – The Best Pizza Crust (VIDEO)

Pizza Dough – The Best Pizza Crust (VIDEO)

This is hands down the best pizza dough! It makes a New York-style pizza crust that is a thin crust pizza in the center with beautifully puffed edges. You will love this crust – it’s crisp, chewy and so satisfying. Make this and you will never want a store-bought crust again. And, you’ll be known for your pizza!

Baked Pizza dough crust with cheese

Why We Love This Pizza Dough:

This is a make-ahead pizza dough recipe that just gets better with time and it keeps really well refrigerated for at least a week. Here’s more good news: our classic red pizza sauce and creamy white pizza sauce also keep really well in the fridge so you can fire up a pizza whenever the craving strikes. An overnight crust also makes throwing a pizza party stress-free and everyone will be super impressed by your pizza making skills.

view of inside pizza dough to show pizza crust texture

The #1 Secret to the Best Pizza Dough:

Since most pizza dough recipes have the same ingredients: flour, salt, water, yeast, it’s the process that makes all the difference. This pizza dough seriously tastes like it came out of a high-end pizzeria and in fact, most New York pizza doughs are fermented for at least 24 hours.

The pizza bosses of the world know the secret to an incredible dough is to let it rest and give it time. This process makes the dough much easier to work with and forms the coveted texture, rise, and bubbles at the edges.

Pizza dough ingredients with warm water, flour, yeast, salt and honey

The #2 Secret to the Perfect Crust:

Do not use too much yeast! Many of the quick pizza doughs out there use way too much yeast which makes the crust doughy and makes the center of the pizza rise while baking. If you use too much yeast, you will never achieve that thin crisp crust in the center.

The Takeaway: use less yeast and let the dough rest.

How to Make Pizza Dough Video Tutorial:

Watch the pizza dough video tutorial once and you will be a pro in no time. Here is a quick overview of the process for easy reference:

1. Mix together water, salt and honey. Sprinkle with yeast and set aside 5 min then stir.
  2. Pour water mixture over your flour and stir to combine with a spatula then knead by hand 2 minutes. Cover and let rise 4-5 hours at room temperature.
  3. Transfer dough onto a floured surface and divide in half. Fold each piece of dough 8 times (rotating book fold) and form a ball. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 7 days. Your dough is done.

Step by step forming pizza dough and letting it rise in bowlFolding pizza dough and letting it cold ferment in the refrigerator.

Why Fold the Pizza Dough?

Folding the dough balls 8 times with that book fold, and turning the dough between each fold, makes the gluten threads stronger and traps carbon dioxide created by the yeast to help form those beautiful bubbles in the dough.

How to Form and Bake Pizza Crust:

1. Remove dough from the fridge 1 hour before using then preheat the oven with a pizza stone in the center to 550˚F.
  2. When the oven is preheated, place room temperature dough onto a floured surface, dust lightly with flour.
  3. Gently press dough down in the center with fingertips then place the dough over the back of your knuckles with both hands together and roll over your knuckles rotating around the dough as you go, keeping a 1″ thicker border. Place 10-12″ diameter crust onto a floured pizza peel.
  4. Add white sauce or red sauce then cheese and toppings. Give the pizza a shake over your pizza peel to make sure it’s not sticking then immediately slide it from your pizza peel onto the preheated pizza stone and bake at 550˚F for 8-10 minutes.

Forming a pizza crust and baking on a pizza stone

Tools for Making Pizza:

The right tools will make the pizza dough making the process even easier. It will also make you look like a pizza ninja to transfer your pizza from a pizza peel onto your hot pizza stone.

What is the Best Flour for Pizza Dough?

You don’t need any fancy flours to develop a gorgeous crust. We used organic all-purpose flour for making pizza. Bread flour will work equally well if that is what you have on hand and it will give you a slightly chewier crust. You can substitute bread flour for all-purpose flour in equal parts.

Note: We haven’t tried making a gluten-free version or any other flour, so let me know if you experiment.

side by side baked pizzas with white sauce and red sauce

What to Serve with Pizza:

Once you have your pizza making skills down, you will want to throw a pizza party. Pizza pairs really well with these easy sides.

Pizza Dough Recipe - The Best Pizza Crust!

Cook Time: 1 day
Total Time: 1 day 10 minutes
Pizza dough baked with cheese and white sauce

This is hands down the best pizza dough! It makes a New York-style pizza crust that is a thin crust pizza in the center with beautifully puffed edges. You'll love chewing on the crust - it's crisp, chewy and so satisfying.

Author: Natasha of NatashasKitchen.com
Skill Level: Easy/Medium
Keyword: pizza crust, pizza dough
Cuisine: American, Italian
Course: Main Course
Servings: 8 people (makes 2, 10-12 inch crusts)

How to Make Pizza Dough:

1. In a small bowl, stir together water, honey, and salt then sprinkle the top with 1/2 tsp yeast and let sit 5 minutes then stir.

2. Measure 3 1/3 cups flour in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Pour yeast mixture into the center then stir with a firm spatula until the dough comes together. Knead by hand 2 minutes (dough will be sticky). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature 4-5 hours or until doubled in size.

3. Transfer dough to a floured surface, turn to coat lightly in flour so it isn’t sticky then divide in half. Fold each piece of dough in half 8 times, gently pulling the sides over the center like closing a book, turning the dough each time and repeating for 8 folds. Form a ball in your hands and transfer each piece of dough to a lightly oiled bowl seam-side-down, cover and refrigerate overnight (18 hours) or up to 1 week.

How to Form a Pizza Crust:

1. PREP: Remove the dough 1 hour before using to let it relax and come to room temperature. Before forming the pizza crust, fully preheat your oven so pizza can be baked right away. Place a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet onto the center rack of the oven and preheat to 550˚F. Also, lightly flour a pizza peel and prep toppings.

2. When dough is about room temperature and oven is preheated, transfer 1 piece of dough to a floured surface, turning to lightly coat in flour. Pat the center of the dough gently with fingertips. DO NOT pop any bubbles present.

3. Lift the dough over both knuckles and roll your knuckles under the center of the dough, working outward as you rotate the dough along your knuckles and leaving a thicker crust at the edge. Continue working the dough until a 10-12” pizza has formed. It will shrink slightly so make it a little bigger than you think. Place the dough down on a lightly floured pizza peel. Give the pizza peel a little shake to make sure the pizza slides over it and is not sticking.

4. Spread on desired pizza sauce and toppings. Give the pizza another jolt to make sure it slides on the pizza peel (you don’t want it to stick while transferring it into the oven). Slide pizza onto the preheated pizza stone and bake at 550˚F for 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and some of the larger bubbles on the crust are lightly scorched to ensure a crisp crust.

Recipe Notes

*Use a high-quality flour. We used organic all-purpose flour.

Pizza Dough Recipe - The Best Pizza Crust!

• Malak
    November 1, 2020

Natasha I have a question when we are using istant yeast do we but it in the flour or in the water another question do we but instant yeast in the fridge or but It in warm place thanks natasha

November 3, 2020

Hi Malak, I haven’t tried this with instant yeast so I’m not sure how that will affect the rise in the fridge, but other readers have reported trying it and following the same method.

• Malak
        November 4, 2020

Thank you natasha.

• Wendy Williams
    October 31, 2020

Made this tonight with an olive oil base. Cooked up some fennel sausage and caramelized some onions. Added artichoke hearts and fresh mozzarella. The BEST pizza by far!! Thank you for the recipe! Will make again and again!

October 31, 2020

Thank you for sharing that awesome review Wendy! I’m happy you enjoyed that!

• Tania
    October 31, 2020

Hi, I tried the recipe with bread flour. It came out brilliant. Thanks a lot for sharing it. Just want to know if I can substitute it with wholemeal bread flour. If you have tried it, let me know pls. Thanks

October 31, 2020

Hi Tania, I haven’t tested that to advise. If you experiment, let me know how you liked the recipe.

• Nikki
    October 31, 2020

Hey I made the dough yesterday and I feel like there wasn’t enough water but I still knead the dough i let the dough sit in room temperature overnight this morning I Divided then fold them eight times but my dough wasn’t sticky at all ??? My party is today advice please thank you!!

November 3, 2020

Hi Nikki, it is difficult to remove too much flour but it sounds like that is the culprit. Make sure to look over our article on how we measure flour. The dough should still be ok if it is rising.

• Laynie
    October 30, 2020

This was very good. I doubled the recipe and I’m glad we have more dough for later in the week. I also made the pizza sauce recipe which I liked as well. I’d add a little more salt next time to the dough

October 31, 2020

I’m so happy you enjoyed that. Thank you for sharing that with us!

• Ritu
      December 26, 2020

Hi Laynie..did you double up the yeast also with other ingredients. Thank you

• Nadia
    October 29, 2020

I made your pizza dough last night, and it was FANTASTIC!!! I didn’t end up refrigerating it at all, and it still turned out great. I used my KitchenAid mixer, mixed on low for 2 minutes, and then left it to rise. Thin center, and a nice and fluffy crust. My family is Italian, so I have grown up on homemade pizza, and this recipe got the thumbs up from the pizza maker in my house. I will definitely use this recipe to make pizza again. Thank you!

October 29, 2020

Thank you for sharing that wonderful review with me! I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Nadia!

• Glenn
    October 27, 2020

i want to do 2 14 inch pizzas with this recipe for my familey can you please advise how i can adjust the messurements to get this perfect.

October 28, 2020

Hi Glenn, You could click on the servings and adjust the measurements up and down. I hope that helps and that you all completely love this pizza dough recipe!

• Eric T.
    October 27, 2020

This was good pizza dough. You can make just 1 pizza and use the second dough ball to make crazybread beadsticks if you don’t want 2 pizzas. Natasha, please check your california and 8inch pizza reciepe. I belueve you have an error. The instructions call for a Tablespoon of yeast for 2 cups of flour. That’s alot if yeast.

October 27, 2020

Absolutely!! That sounds delicious Eric and a great idea! If you experiment I would love to know how you like that.

• Cindy Lowe
    October 27, 2020

I follow your receipt and use “1/2 tsp active dry yeast” but my dough cannot double up the size. I am using instant dry yeast. Is it different?
    Many thanks.

October 27, 2020

Hi Cindy, we used active dry yeast, not instant dry yeast, that could be the culprit. I always make this with active dry yeast because it seems to keep better for longer, but that should work fine and there would be no need to wait 5 minutes. You could mix the instant yeast right into the flour before adding the liquids. Please let me know if you experiment with instant yeast.

• Olga
    October 26, 2020

Can you use the kitchen aid mixer to kneed the dough?

October 26, 2020

Hi Olga, one of our readers commented, saying they made this in a Kitchen Aid mixer on low speed with a dough attachment. I hope that is helpful.

• Sonya H
    October 25, 2020

I made this last night. It was FANTASTIC! What brand mozzarella do you use? I’ve tried several brands of low moisture, whole and skim, and they just don’t stretch quite as well as yours did on the video. It was still the best pizza dough by far!

October 26, 2020

Hi Sonya, my favorite cheese brand is Galbani for low moisture part-skim mozzarella.

• Irene
        October 27, 2020

Where do you get Galbani cheese? I haven’t found it anywhere in our area.

October 28, 2020

Hi Irene, we purchase it in our local grocery store.

• Irene V Chao
            October 29, 2020

No Galbani cheese anywhere here. I used Dierbergs low moisture, part skim mozzarella cheese.

• Wallace G
    October 23, 2020

Hi, would you say the recipe yields a 2lb dough?

October 23, 2020

Hi Wallace, I honestly have not weighed the finished dough. That sounds about right for 1 lb of dough from each piece of dough for a total of 2 lbs.

• Irene
    October 22, 2020

How can I make this pizza recipe gluten free?

October 23, 2020

Hi Irene, I have not tested this with gluten-free flour. You might also want to check the comments section if someone else alredy tried it.

• Christina J
    October 18, 2020

Hi! I don’t have honey available, what can I substitute it with? Thank you.

October 18, 2020

Hi Christina, yes it can be substituted with 1 tsp of sugar.

• Michael Dillge
    October 17, 2020

Why that 4 hour wait before making the balls? Couldn’t we make the balls at that earlier stage since its gonna slow/cold proof anyway?

October 18, 2020

Hi Michael, you want it to proof first while the dough is warmer to jumpstart it. Once it’s chilled, it’s a very slow fermentation/rising process.

• Sedi
    October 17, 2020

I made your pizza dough recipe tonight and rested for 2 1/2 hrs. I did not leave in refrigerator at all and turned out great. I made supreme pizza. First I added tomatoes sauce, mushroom and some mozzarella cheese placed in pre heated oven for 5 minutes. Then removed it added meat, bell peppers, olive, onions, cherry tomatoes covered more mozzarella cheese and some parmesan cheese returned back in oven for another 3 minutes it turned so delicious. Thank you for great recipes. I love all your recipes and videos you make.

October 18, 2020

Super nice! Thank you for sharing your experience making this recipe. I’m glad that you enjoyed it!

• Bel
    October 13, 2020

Hello, Natasha! I really love your recipes. It’s super easy to follow and they’re all incredibly delicious 🤤😍 btw my oven’s temperature is up to 450F only. What should I do? Because in the direction should be 550F 😭

October 14, 2020

Hi Bel, I would suggest going to the highest it goes and just bake for a little longer.

• Julie
    October 12, 2020

Hi Natasha! This is my very first review of any recipe, ever. I just made this amazing pizza tonight. We used both sauces, too. I honestly think this may be the best recipe of anything I have ever made!! Wow!! The kids loved it too!! Your videos are fantastic and incredibly helpful!! I watched how you spread the dough a few times before I got to that step. It helped SO much!! Thank you, truly, for this recipe and technique. We all said we love these pizzas way better than takeout. That white sauce, too…oohh my!!
    Thanks again!! 🙂

October 12, 2020

Yay thank you for sharing that with us, your comment just made my day. I’m glad your family loved it! I hope they will also enjoy all the other recipes that you will try. Thanks, Julie!

• Carolyn Kotler
        October 17, 2020

Hi Natasha. Love this recipe. My friend asked me if she makes this dough early in the day, can you use it the same day, and how would you do that? After dividing the dough in half and placing in oiled bowls, would you left it rise again at room temp, then make the pizzas? Thank you.

October 18, 2020

Hi Carolyn, this dough really does need the overnight cold fermentation process to rise properly since it doesn’t have a ton of yeast in it. This is what differentiates it from a quick dough, but it’s well worth the wait.

• Anita
    October 9, 2020

Hello! I left a comment yesterday but it seems to have disappeared. My dough is continuing to rise after being refrigerated. It’s been in the fridge since yesterday and I now need to put it in a bigger bowl! I can’t use it until tomorrow. Will the continued rising affect the quality? Is there something I can do? Thanks.

• Jose
    October 9, 2020

Can the finished dough be frozen for future use? if so how would you dethaw?

October 9, 2020

Hi Jose, yes you can freeze the dough. Freezing will work fine. To Freeze Pizza Dough: 1. Let the dough do it’s cold ferment overnight before freezing. 2. Lightly coat the dough with oil and transfer to a resealable freezer-safe zip bag and squeeze out the excess air then freeze up to 3 months. 3. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator then transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rest on the counter and come to room temperature 1 hour before shaping.

• Jose
        October 9, 2020

Thank you so much, Can’t wait to try this! Keep up the good work with the content you produce. I’m in marketing and people don’t know how much hard work it is to put out good quality content. Great Work!

October 9, 2020

You’re so nice! Thank you for that wonderful compliment Jose!

• Anita
    October 8, 2020

Hello! I made the dough today and it worked just as predicted, but I do have a concern. I put it in the refrigerator this afternoon, and it has continued to rise. I’m worried that by the time I’m ready to use it (the day after tomorrow) it will have risen so much that it will take over the refrigerator and/or will collapse when I try to roll it out. What did I do wrong? How do I handle dough that won’t stop rising?!?

October 9, 2020

Hi Anita, the dough should rise pretty minimally in the fridge – did you use the same amount of yeast? Are you possible using self-rising flour, but that could be a culprit since it has extra leavening in it?

• Anita
        October 9, 2020

Hi. No, I used the correct amount of yeast, and just regular all-purpose flour. They rose so much overnight that I had to punch them down this afternoon so that they didn’t overflow. Now they’ve started rising again! I’m thinking I’ll just punch them down again in the morning, then see what happens (the plan is to have them for dinner tomorrow night). I’m just concerned it will affect the quality. Not sure what else to do, though. Somehow I’ve created some kind of Frankendough! (Just in time for Halloween!)

• Anita
          October 10, 2020

Okay, just wanted to give an update. The dough rose again after I’d punched it down yesterday, but we pulled it out tonight and made it for dinner. We don’t have a pizza stone, so we cooked it on the grill. It was the *best pizza we’ve ever made*. Still don’t know why it kept rising even while refrigerated, but I’m guessing the extra rise didn’t affect the quality. We’ll be making this again soon (possibly later this week). Thank you!

October 11, 2020

Super! Thanks for sharing that with us, I’m so glad you loved the end result.

• Doug
    October 8, 2020

how does this compare to your CPK recipe with large quantities of yeast?

Thanks,
    Doug

October 8, 2020

I definitely prefer this crust both the texture and flavor. It takes longer for this crust but it is worth the wait.

• Sandra sayegh
    October 7, 2020

I tried your crust pizza but when i wanted to cut it, it becomes so hard.

October 7, 2020

Hi Sandra, I’m more than happy to troubleshoot. I recommend reading our post on measuring to make sure the dry ingredients were accurate but also was anything altered in the recipe from processes to ingredients?

• sandra schaf
    October 6, 2020

The only yeast I was able to find is Fleischman’s Rapidrise Instant Yeast (fast acting) Do you think this would be okay?

October 7, 2020

Hi Sandra, I haven’t tested that to advise. If you do an experiment, please share it with us if it worked well.

• Anna
    October 6, 2020

Hi Natasha, love all your recipes

Can you use pizza yeast for this dough, if so how much should I use.

October 6, 2020

Hi Anna, I am not familiar with that product and haven’t experimented with it.

• Anna
    October 6, 2020

Hi Natasha, Love all your recipes, they are amazing.

Can I use pizza yeast for this dough, if so how much should I use.

October 6, 2020

Hi Anna, I haven’t tested that to advise, I would follow package instructions to see if they compare.

• Mindy Rose Siegel
    October 2, 2020

Hi I was wondering if you can par bake your crust so it is firm and (easy to transport) and then top it with sauce and cheese and bake it later. I want to bring it to a friend’s house. If so how long would you bake it the first time?

October 3, 2020

Hi Mindy, I haven’t tested with baking this ahead of time to advise. If you happen to experiment I would love to know how you like that.

• Michelle
    October 2, 2020

As a kid my dad made pizza every Friday night as long as I could remember but somehow his recipe fell short of ‘something’ (dad, we loved your pizza pies). As an adult I’ve tried several pizza crust recipes for years and gave up for a period of time. I was always disappointed…..until now!!!! Eureka!!!! This is it!!! How do I upload a pic!?!? The light crispy crust is unbelievable!! Make this!!

October 2, 2020

I’m so happy you enjoyed this recipe, Michelle! Thank you for sharing this with me! We can upload the image to any social media site and type #natashaskitchen so we can see it.

• Cassie
    October 2, 2020

I’ve made this recipe a couple of times..very good! A couple questions/comments. After I fold the dough and place it in fridge for a day, the top gets very dry and seems to not want to do well when stretching out to make crust, with knuckles. Should I put a little oil on top when fermenting in fridge. I put them in Tupperware for that process. Also, I made the mistake of after rolling dough out on knuckles, placing side that had olive oil on it in Tupperware, on pizza peal. Would not slide off and was a complete mess trying to get it on my pizza stone. I even put flour on peal before putting dough down.

October 6, 2020

HI Cassie, make sure the bowl isn’t too large where you are placing the dough and also place a sheet of plastic wrap or lid tightly over the container so a film doesn’t form.

• Kathleen
    September 28, 2020

I would like to try and add a 1/2 cup of sourdough starter to this pizza dough recipe. Would I need to change the amount of flour I put in your original recipe?

September 29, 2020

Hi Kathleen, I haven’t tried this with a sourdough starter so I can’t advise on that but it sounds like a great idea. Let me know if you test that out.

• Lisa Roberts
    September 28, 2020

Can you go ahead and bake this crust the day of making it?

September 28, 2020

Hi Lisa, it won’t be enough time for the dough to rise and ferment. You would have to add more yeast and that would completely change the texture and flavor of the crust.

• Sedi
      October 17, 2020

I made the dough today and rested 2 1/2 hrs to rise then baked it. It turned out great very crispy and taste was unbelievable the best pizza I have ever had.

• Shawn
    September 26, 2020

This recipe looks delicious, but I am a thick crust fan…
    Do you have a recipe for us rare people?

September 26, 2020

Hi Shawn, you can have a thicker crust with this dough by not stretching the center as much when you roll it over your knuckles, but a true thick crust would need to be a different recipe.

• Frances Oare
    September 24, 2020

After making this pizza, I will never buy a store bought pizza again! The last time we made it we substituted one cup of whole wheat flour and it made the dough less sticky and easier to handle but the texture of the crust was still awesome.

September 24, 2020

That’s just awesome! Sounds like you found a new favorite recipe!

• Tez
    September 23, 2020

Great recipe. I had been experimenting with lots of diff ones past few months and so far this one is the best..

Ive been using about 2/3 AP flour and 1/3 Bread flour for your measurement and it works great..

only problem ive had each time is with your measurements the dough hasn’t been very sticky and a tad dry after kneeding- and ive added a lil bit extra water.. is that normal?

September 23, 2020

Hi Tez, we haven’t had that experiment, I would recommend checking out our post on measuring to make sure you are measuring your dry ingredients correctly. If you are scooping your flour with your measuring cup you may end up with 25% more flour.

• Par
        September 28, 2020

Can I double the recipe

September 28, 2020

Hi Par! I bet that could work!

• Anna Painter
      September 25, 2020

Altitude And humidity can affect that. I live in a dry environment at high elevation and always have to add a little extra water to my dough recipes.

• Subhashini Natarajan
    September 22, 2020

This is the best pizza recipe I have ever cooked and the steps were explained very clearly. I have tried making pizza several times from other recipes but could never get the quality that this pizza recipe had. It just feels so light in the middle and thoroughly cooked with no effort. My family loved it and I am going to make it every week. Thankyou Natasha.

September 22, 2020

You’re welcome! I’m so happy you and your family enjoyed that!

• Nisreen
    September 22, 2020

I haven’t tried your recipe yet. I wanted to say I enjoyed watching your video. Your kiddos are adorable. You make all recipes seem so easy.

September 22, 2020

Thank you for watching my videos, I’m happy to hear that you’re enjoying them. I hope you can try my recipes soon!

• Nisreen
      September 23, 2020

How about pizza pans? I have a couple from dollar tree that I normally form the pizza on then I go the oven? So, how would I preheat The pan and get the pizza on it?

September 24, 2020

Hi Nisreen, a friend of ours uses those small aluminum pizza pans to put the pizza on after it comes out of the oven but he does not preheat them.

• Heather Evans
    September 20, 2020

This pizza crust is as advertised! The best pizza crust we’ve ever had. We always used a whole packet of yeast as per other recipe directions. Using a 1/2 tsp of yeast is the way to go! We made it on the BBQ. It was fantastic!

September 21, 2020

Love it! Thanks for your excellent review, Heather. I hope you love each recipe that you will try!

• Patti Reeder
    September 20, 2020

Can the pizza dough be frozen for much later use, and if so , at which stage ?

September 20, 2020

Hi Patti, yes you can freeze the dough. Freezing will work fine. To Freeze Pizza Dough: 1. Let the dough do it’s cold ferment overnight before freezing. 2. Lightly coat the dough with oil and transfer to a resealable freezer-safe zip bag and squeeze out the excess air then freeze up to 3 months. 3. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator then transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rest on the counter and come to room temperature 1 hour before shaping.

• April
    September 19, 2020

Can I replace active dry yeast with instant yeast?

September 19, 2020

Hi April, I always make this with active dry yeast because it seems to keep better for longer, but that should work fine and there would be no need to wait 5 minutes. You could mix the instant yeast right into the flour before adding the liquids. Please let me know if you experiment with instant yeast.

• Malak
        October 9, 2020

Yes I try it and it worked

• Yordanka Betancourt
    September 19, 2020

Omg Natasha your pizza recipe is the best. I usually don’t write reviews, but I have to do it for this recipe. I made it in the past using store pizza sauce. Today I decided to make the pizza with your pizza sauce recipe. It is beyond good. I will never buy store pizza sauce and I will never order pizza again. Thanks for another amazing and simple recipe. I have to tell you I have tried lots of your recipes and they all have turned out great. Thanks again

September 19, 2020

That’s just awesome! Thank you for sharing that with me!

• Linj
    September 18, 2020

Hi Natasha. I made the pizza and sauce. It was a hit. Even with hubby who broke his diet and had more than one slice. Thanks for sharing. My oven only goes to 500. I baked a little longer. How would you store leftovers. Thank you

September 18, 2020

You’re welcome! I’m so happy you enjoyed it! We stored leftovers in the refrigerator.

• Rabiya Khan
    September 18, 2020

I made it today and it was yummy. Wish I could attach a pic. Thank You for your amazing recipes.

September 18, 2020

Thanks for your great feedback, Rabiya. You can share photos of your creation on our Facebook page or group!

• Kim Stark
    September 16, 2020

This was so good!! Family loved it! I was born and raised in the south, but my husband is from NY. He has been raving about this pizza, I have to make it once a week! He would eat it everyday!! My question, can I make larger pizzas? Like 18”? I don’t mind making smaller ones, but we go through so much!! Thanks!!

September 17, 2020

I’m so happy to hear that Kim! I haven’t tried stretching it to 18″ but that may work with more dough!

• Kenna
      September 24, 2020

Of course you can make more. Double the recipe and roll it out to a bigger size.

• Sara
    September 16, 2020

I wish I could give more rating stars to this recipe. Really amazing pizza dough, easy to make and delicious.

September 16, 2020

That is so nice of you, Sara. Thank you!

• Peter Shirley
    September 14, 2020

Second time making this dough and the recipe is spot on for NY style pizza. Really pleased with the way it rose and the ability to form the pizza. Well done

September 14, 2020

That is so wonderful! Thanks for sharing your experience making this recipe, Peter. We appreciate it!

• Kamran
    September 13, 2020

I used to make pizza with other dough recipes but your recipe is much better, the pizza is great and yummy. Thank Natasha:)

September 14, 2020

You’re much welcome! Thank you for your great feedback, we appreciate it!

• Sarah T
    September 13, 2020

Hey Natasha, Can We Freeze The Pizza Dough If We Are Not Planning On Using It Straight Away?

September 13, 2020

Hi Sarah, yes you can freeze the dough. Freezing will work fine. To Freeze Pizza Dough: 1. Let the dough do it’s cold ferment overnight before freezing. 2. Lightly coat the dough with oil and transfer to a resealable freezer-safe zip bag and squeeze out the excess air then freeze up to 3 months. 3. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator then transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rest on the counter and come to room temperature 1 hour before shaping.

• Debbie Lay
    September 10, 2020

My dough was too tight and wouldn’t stretch. Do I need to knead it more next time?

September 10, 2020

Hi Debbie, did you make sure to knead the dough by hand for 2 minutes initially and then fold the dough as shown in the video and photos above? Those two steps are usually enough to eliminate tough spots which are usually bits of dough that required more kneading. Also, oiling the bowls when refrigerating the dough helps for it to release easier so you don’t end up with tight folds of dough as you scrape it out of the bowl. I hope that helps!

• Brian
    September 10, 2020

Wow, I made this pizza and now I feel like a master pizza maker. This is the best pizza dough I have ever had. Three days in the fridge and it was perfect.

September 10, 2020

Fantastic! Great job, Brian and thanks for choosing this recipe to try. So glad you loved it!

• Sharon Tyszka
    September 9, 2020

Any reason not to prepare the dough in the food processor?

September 9, 2020

Hi Sharon, it isn’t necessary and you would risk over-mixing.

• Sharon
        September 16, 2020

Thanks Natasha for your reply. I made this recipe a while back and it turned out fantastic! My family has been asking for it ever since. I thought the food processor would’ve kept things cleaner, but so glad you saved me from over mixing the dough. We’ll be making pizza dough this week for our next build-your-own pizza night. We love your fun food videos, and quirky humor. Every dish we’ve made has been a hit and so love how you keep menu planning fun! 🙂

September 17, 2020

Hello Sharon, thank you so much for your kind words and great feedback. Please let us know how it goes the next time you make this recipe. Take care!

• Andre Petit
    September 9, 2020

Hi Natasha !!
    Maybe I did something wrong
    But when I fold the dough like you do (like a book)
    It’s shatters in the center, like I’ts too dry
    I followed your recipe to the letter
    Thaks in advance
    I love your recipes !!

September 9, 2020

Hi Andre, sorry it did not work out for you and I’m always happy to help troubleshoot. The liquid to dry ingredients proportion is accurate and make sure you aren’t substituting with a different type of flour. Check out our post on how to measure ingredients – measuring flour the wrong way can result in 25% more flour than you need. Also, make sure your yeast is not expired and be sure not to overheat the dough while it proofs or it can deactivate and kill the yeast.

• Andre Petit
        September 10, 2020

A big thank you Natasha
        Your video made me understand my mistake
        In fact I filled the cup with flour even the bag (compacted cup)
        So my dough was too dry, that’s why it broke when I folded it

• Selena
    September 8, 2020

My name is Selena. I made your pizza dough and trying four or five different ones yours is a keeper. It turned out fantastic.
    My question is, can this pizza dough be frozen, if so for how long?
    Thank you.
    Selena

September 8, 2020

Hi Selena, you are welcome to freeze this dough, you can let it ferment in the fridge after it thaws, but I would recommend using in within a couple of days for the best results. I haven’t tried storing it for more than two days so I can’t say a week will work.

• Mike
        September 13, 2020

Hi there – in regards to freezing, can you freeze after fermenting or do you suggest freezing after the initial rise? This recipe is a huge hit at our house!

September 13, 2020

• Liyana
    September 7, 2020

Hi, I don’t have a pizza peel. I can use an inverted baking pan to keep the pizza on but can it be put in with parchment paper or without. Will it stick on without greasing it or without parchment paper?

September 7, 2020

Hi, I would do it without parchment paper and instead sprinkle the baking pan with semolina or flour to keep it from sticking.

• Brian
        September 10, 2020

I cooked mine in a cast iron skillet and it was amazing.

September 10, 2020

That’s so great!! Thank you for sharing that with me Brian!

• Ady
    September 7, 2020

Hello Natasha,
    Have just discovered your website and am loving the videos.
    I made the pizza dough recipe and we cooked it in our pizza oven, also mad your white pizza sauce. It was the best pizza ever…we are chuffed with the recipe and will be using it from now on.
    So, cheers and thank you so, I’m from New Zealand🤗
    Had your cheese and chicken fritters today for lunch…also a success…next on the list is churros…

Lol, Ady

September 7, 2020

Hello Ady, thank you for sharing that with us. So great to know that you enjoyed this recipe! I hope you will also love the recipe for churros, enjoy!

• Janet Johnson
    September 5, 2020

Very good taste. I had a hard time getting off pizza peel I had two much flour on bottom and didn’t brown. Any suggestions

September 7, 2020

Hi Janet, make sure to sprinkle the semolina flour onto the pizza peel and do not overload the pizza or it is more likely to stick. Try semolina, I think you’d enjoy that better.

• Zainab
    September 4, 2020

Hi Natasha my aunt uses your crust to make pizza all the time in my village and it tastes amazing.

September 4, 2020

That’s so great Zainab! I’m so glad you’re enjoying it!

• Carolina
    September 2, 2020

Hi Natasha, I made this pizza recipe and loved it, the only thing is that the cheese gets brown too quick before the crust is done, so my crust came out looking too pale, what do you recomend?

September 3, 2020

Hi Carolina, you might need to turn down your heat. Normally, the crust will rise and bubble up and those are the areas that can scorch with hot spots in the oven, so it could also be that the crust needed a little more time to proof. Make sure to let it rest and chill for the times specified in the recipe. I hope that helps with troubleshooting.

• grace limjap
    August 30, 2020

Hi Natasha! I don’t have a pizza stone and using only steel pan, do I need to still preheat it

August 31, 2020

Hi Grace, yes, you can use your pan and you will need to preheat it. That should work great! I recommend reading through the comments for some tips also, our readers have the best ideas!

• Ling
    August 28, 2020

I loved your pizza dough recipe. The crust tasted great. The only challenge I had was the center being too thin and not able to hold up the toppings. What can I try to have a perfect center without tipping falling off when slicing. Thanks so much

August 31, 2020

Hi Ling, that step where you roll the dough on your knuckles is the most important with regard to the thin center. Make sure to work your hands outwards as you roll the dough on your knuckles so you don’t think out the center too much.

• Desi
    August 28, 2020

This truly was the best pizza dough ever! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe

August 28, 2020

I’m so glad you enjoyed it Desi!! Thank you for that wonderful review!

• Stefanie
    August 27, 2020

Hi Natasha was just wondering what I should do if I do not have a pizza peel?

August 27, 2020

Hi Stefanie, yes, you can use your pizza pan! That should work great! I recommend reading through the comments for some tips also, our readers have the best ideas!

• Andrew
    August 26, 2020

Does anyone know the maximum amount/percentage of ‘Whole Grain’ wheat flour I could use for pizza crusts (if not 100%), and how much liquid & yeast I need to use? TIA

August 26, 2020

Hi Andrew, I haven’t tested this by combining various flours so you would have to experiment.

• Diane
    August 23, 2020

Love your recipes normally,but after looking at your recipe and making crust in the past your rest time is soooo long! I want to eat pizza the same day I make the crust. 18 hours to a week???? That’s a long time to wait to eat fresh pizza?

August 24, 2020

It is a long time but trust me, it’s so worth it. We love it homemade but of course, if you don’t have the time you can also use storebought, there are some great ones out there too!

• Rita
      August 31, 2020

that’s exactly how i used to think too. But think of it as a meal prep. You spend 10-15 min to prepare the dough and next day or later you only need to do the topping and baking. The taste is soo worth it. You are surely marinating meat overnight? This is the same.
      Try it..and you will change your mind

• Rita
    August 23, 2020

found your recipe for pizza dough couple of weeks ago and cannot stop making it now :)….I am officially done looking for the perfect crust recipe…
    It is absolutely great!!

August 23, 2020

Super! I am so hapoy with your excellent feedback, thank you, Rita!

• Chris
    August 23, 2020

One other question I have is can I knead the dough with a mix master and how long would I have to knead it by the mixer. Can kneading the dough to much ruin it?

August 24, 2020

Hi Chris, over kneading can adversely affect the dough. I do it by hand to have the best control of the dough.

• Chris
    August 23, 2020

I sent you an email before regarding the pizza dough being very sticky. I cut the dough into 2 pieces to make 2 pies. When we formed the dough it was very thin. It did not look like yours and we did not use a rolling pin. Just the knuckles of our hands. I used the same amount of flour as you did, but it seemed that the dough was very sticky. I noticed that other recipes call for 1 packet of yeast and yours doesn’t. What is the reason for less yeast? Also is 00 flour better than all purpose flour?

August 24, 2020

Hi Chris, I use regular all-purpose flour. Some flours have varying amounts of gluten which would affect the recipe. Also, a full packet of yeast will produce a quick dough, but won’t be anywhere near the quality and texture of this one which needs less yeast and a longer cold fermentation.

• Nafeesa
    August 23, 2020

Tried out the pizza recipe and I’m shocked by how good it was!! Honestly tastes just like those fancy pizza’s you get at the restaurants. I didn’t have a pizza stone so I inverted a baking tray and let it preheat in the oven. I placed the pizza dough onto baking paper added the toppings then placed the baking paper and pizza onto the hot tray. Turned out beautiful! Thank you Natasha 🙂

August 23, 2020

So wonderful to hear that! Thank you so much for your awesome comments, we appreciate you sharing your experience with us.

• Geesha R.
    August 22, 2020

I really want to try out your recipe, however I only have instant yeast. Is there any way to substitute the active dry yeast with instant yeast? Thank you!

August 22, 2020

Hi Geesha, I always make this with active dry yeast because it seems to keep better for longer, but that should work fine and there would be no need to wait 5 minutes. You could mix the instant yeast right into the flour before adding the liquids. Please let me know if you experiment with instant yeast.

• Geesha R.
        September 13, 2020

Overall, with the instant yeast, the crust turned out amazing. However, the outside rim didn’t really puff up. I am not sure if it was because I did not add honey to the hot water or if instant yeast doesn’t work as well as active dry yeast. Please let me know if you have any recommendations.

September 14, 2020

Hi Geesha, since you used instant yeast, did you mix the instant yeast right into the flour before adding the liquids? Also, you do need the honey/ sugar to feed the yeast.

• Marlene O'Neill
    August 20, 2020

I am fairly new to your site and have made a few of your listed recipes! All have been well received. I have made the pizza dough recipe using instant yeast (it’s what was available). Online instructions suggest using 25% less than active yeast. It worked perfectly!

August 20, 2020

I’m so glad that worked! Thank you for sharing that with me Marlene!

• Felix
        August 23, 2020

Hi, I have been following your FB recipe posting and glad I did. I made the Avocado Chicken Salad and it was a hit. Now, I am going to attempt make the pizza dough. I am going to use an instant yeast as it is the only one I have. Can I use a mixer to make the dough? If mixer is acceptable, at what speed and for how long? Thanks.

August 24, 2020

Hi Felix, I think you could make it work with a mixer, but you will have more control of the dough mixing it by hand which is why I always stick to that method. You don’t want to overmix it. Several readers have reported using instant yeast with good results.

• Jason
    August 18, 2020

Can you use 00 flour? I have made it twice and I have used bread flour once and all purpose flour. Just curious is 00 flour will work just as well.

August 19, 2020

Hi Jason, I haven’t tested that with 00 flour to advise. If you happen to experiment please let me know how you like that.

• Tejasvi
    August 18, 2020

Hi, I’m trying out this recipe as I type but I’m afraid I do not have the time to cold ferment the dough for 24 hours. Is there a way to get similar result with any other process or can it achieve even slightest result if I refrigerate it for about 3-4 hours? Please help me out here!

August 18, 2020

Hi, since there is so little yeast in the dough, it is necessary to cold ferment for the recommended time.

• Nabiha Mazhar Uddin
    August 17, 2020

Hey Natasha,

Is it compulsory to leave the dough overnight?

• Luz
    August 16, 2020

I tried many pizza dough, and this is the best so far, easy follow. Many thanks Natasha for your vedio..

August 17, 2020

Hello Luz, that is so wonderful to hear! Thanks for your great feedback, we appreciate it.

• Marne
    August 12, 2020

This is, by far, the best pizza dough and sauce recipe out there. I’ve made it a few times and it’s always crispy and the flavor is spot on.

August 12, 2020

That’s so awesome Marne! Thank you for that great review!

• Chris Jones
    August 10, 2020

Can this be made in a bread machine?

August 10, 2020

Hi Chris, to be honest, I haven’t tested this in a bread machine to advise. If you happen to experiment, please let me know how you like that.