Strawberry Shortcake Recipe (VIDEO)
Classic, easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe! The homemade shortcake biscuits are impressively soft and layered with juicy strawberries and whipped cream.
We love strawberry recipes that use plenty of strawberries, like our No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake, this crowd pleasing Strawberry Pretzel Salad, and of course homemade Strawberry Sauce. Strawberries are the star ingredient in Strawberry Shortcake.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe:
This is a traditional strawberry shortcake recipe, made completely from scratch that is perfect for summer because you don’t have to spend a ton of time in the kitchen making it. Just like Panna Cotta, this is completely homemade but feels like a shortcut dessert.
Shortcakes are a great party dessert since you can set them up buffet style and guests can build their own. They are best eaten fresh, but thankfully they are super easy to bake and assemble.
What is a Strawberry Shortcake?
Old Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake a stacked dessert with buttery homemade biscuits, strawberries macerated (juiced up) in sugar, and lightly sweetened soft whipped cream. The earliest recipe for strawberry shortcake dates back to 1588. It is popularly made with strawberries, but you can substitute with other berries or sliced stone fruit like peaches.
Homemade biscuits are so easy to make and if you haven’t tried them, you are in for a treat! They exceed store-bought ‘bisquick’ in taste and quality.
How to Make Shortcake Biscuits:
There’s a teensy bit of vanilla in these but otherwise, these classic biscuits can be enjoyed, or savory next to your mashed potatoes and gravy. They are light, airy, tall, fluffy and everything a good biscuit should be.
All you need is a sieve or flour sifter, large mixing bowl and a pastry cutter. You can also cut the butter into the dough using a good food processor. To cut out the biscuits, we used a 2 1/2″ round cookie cutter, but you can also cut the biscuits into squares with a sharp knife.
- Sift together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, sugar, salt
- Cut 5 Tbsp COLD butter into dry ingredients until course crumbs form
- Combine milk, cream and vanilla and drizzle over flour mixture. Mix until it starts coming together.
- Transfer to floured surface, pat into rectangle, fold in half and repeat.
- Cover with a tea towel and rest 30 minutes at room temp, pat into a 5″x10″ rectangle (3/4″ tall) then cut out biscuits and bake.
Pro Tip: For the best rising biscuits, dip the biscuit cutter into flour with every biscuit you cut and push the cutter STRAIGHT DOWN without twisting.
How to Make Strawberries for Shortcake:
Mix the sliced strawberries with sugar while your dough is resting to allow the strawberries to macerate and juice up in the refrigerator, forming a natural strawberry syrup that is so good as it soaks into the biscuits.
Watch Natasha Make Strawberry Shortcake:
I hope this classic Strawberry Shortcake becomes one of your favorite Summer desserts!
P.S. We’re so excited to have over 600,000 subscribers on Youtube! Have you subscribed to our Youtube Channel yet? Once you do, click the bell icon to be the first to see our new videos. THANK YOU for subscribing!
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Make Biscuit Dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients stir together then sift together. Add 5 Tbsp diced cold butter and cut it into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or with food processor until course crumb consistency.
- Stir together 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 tsp vanilla and pour over flour mixture. Fold together with wooden spoon until dough starts coming together then turn out onto a well-floured surface.
- Pat into a rectangle. Fold in half and pat down slightly into another rectangle. Fold in half a second time and pat down into a rectangle. Cover with a tea towel and rest 30 minutes at room temperature (65˚-75˚F) .
- Macerate Strawberries: While Dough rests, slice strawberries and place into a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate.
- Cut Biscuits and Bake: Preheat Oven to 425˚and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. After resting dough 30 minutes, gently pat into a 5” x 10” rectangle (3/4” thickness). Use a floured 2 1/2" round cutter to cut out 8 rounds. Dip in flour with each cut and push straight down into the dough without turning the cutter.
- Transfer rounds to lined baking sheet, 1/2” apart and Bake at 425˚F for 13-15 minutes or until golden on top. Cool biscuits on a rack for 10 minutes before assembling.
- Make Whipped Cream: In a mixing bowl, beat together 1 cup cold heavy cream with 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla for about 2 minutes on medium/high speed or until medium-soft peaks form.
- Assemble: Split biscuit in half. Add strawberries with some sauce. Top with generous dollop of cream. Cover with biscuit top, add more cream and strawberries.
Nutrition Per Serving
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen