Home > Dessert > Cake > Tres Leches Cake Recipe (VIDEO)

Tres Leches Cake Recipe (VIDEO)

Tres Leches Cake has a soft and ultra-moist crumb. It is soaked with a 3 milk mixture and topped with a lightly sweetened whipped cream. This is an authentic Tres Leches Cake recipe and the best we have tried. It beats any store-bought version all day long!

We love the simple, crowd-pleasing desserts that come together in a casserole dish like classic Tiramisu, our popular Strawberry Pretzel Salad, and of course this easy Tres Leches Cake. They are easy to make and perfect to bring to potlucks and parties. They transfer well and are always the first to disappear.

Slice of Tres Leches Cake on a plate with fork

What is Tres Leches Cake?

Tres Leches is a popular authentic Mexican cake. I am a fan of moist cakes and this Tres Leches Cake blew me away. The syrup is made of – you guessed it – tres leches (which means three kinds of milk). You poke holes into the cake before pouring over the syrup so every bite is decadently moist. The cake is rich but has a light feel to it and is balanced by the lightly sweetened whipped cream. We even bravely turned it into a Layered Tres Leches Cake!

My cousin Katerina sent me this Tres Leches Cake recipe a (long) while back and I finally found time to make it. It was adapted from the Pioneer Woman.

Tres Leches cake in casserole dish with slice removed to show moist layers

Tres Leches Ingredients:

This recipe calls for very simple ingredients, most of which are refrigerator and pantry staples. It has 3 kinds of milk poured over the cake: evaporated milk, heavy whipping cream, and sweetened condensed milk. It’s topped with a 2-ingredient whipped cream frosting. We love adding fresh berries like strawberries and raspberries over the top for a prettier presentation.

Tres Leches Ingredients with heavy whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, flour, salt and baking powder

Tips for the Best Tres Leches Cake:

• Watch the video tutorial below before beginning to gauge the process and tools needed before starting.
  • Measure dry and wet ingredients correctly. For the flour, spoon it into dry ingredients measuring cup and level off the top.
  • Cold eggs are easier to separate into whites and yolks.
  • Fold the batter with a spatula just until it is well incorporated then stop. Do not overmix since the cake relies on the volume of the eggs to rise.
  • While cooling the cake to room temperature, avoid any outdoor draft. Any egg-based cake can take on an “eggy” aroma if it gets outdoor air.
  • Let the cake rest 30 min after pouring on the syrup so it can absorb every drop.
  • Bake in a ceramic or glass casserole dish for the best rise and it’s easier to serve right out of the casserole dish.

Moist slice of tres leches cake on a spatula with casserole beneath

Answering Your Burning Questions:

How long does tres leches cake last? You can fully assemble and make a tres leches cake 1 to 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Add fresh berries just before serving, especially if berries are sliced.

Is Tres Leches supposed to be soggy? It is supposed to be very moist. The cake base is a sponge cake so it takes on the generous amount of syrup without getting soggy. This is why I avoid using a boxed white cake mix which can quickly become “soggy” since it’s not meant to absorb liquid.

Can Tres Leches Cake be frozen? You can make the cake base ahead of time. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature then cover the casserole dish tightly with a couple of layers of plastic wrap and freeze the tres leches cake base up to 2 months. Thaw the cake in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter before using it. It is not recommended to freeze the cake once the syrup and frosting are added.

Fully assembled tres leches cake ready for refrigeration

How to Make Tres Leches Cake:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a casserole dish. Set up 3 mixing bowls.
  2. Sift the dry ingredients into the first bowl. Separate egg whites and yolks into the other 2 bowls.
  3. Using an electric hand mixer beat yolks with 3/4 cup sugar on high speed, until pale yellow (2 min). Stir in 1/3 cup milk and vanilla.
  4. With clean and dry egg beaters, beat whites on high speed until soft peaks form (1 min). With the mixer on, add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat on high speed until whites are stiff but not dry (1 min).
  5. Pour egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and use a spatula to blend together. Gently fold in egg white mixture until just combined. Pour batter into prepared casserole and bake 30-35 minutes.
  6. When the cake has cooled, pierce all over with a fork and slowly drizzle on the 3-milks mixture. Let rest 30 minutes then top with whipped cream and berries.

step by step instructions for how to make tres leches cake in 3 bowls

This has to be one of the moistest cakes around. It goes down easy and you’ll savor every bite. Make this for your next party and you will become known for your Tres Leches recipe!

Moist tres leches cake on a plate topped with whipped cream and berries

Our Best Potluck Desserts:

If you’re looking for more party favorite desserts that are simple to make, transport well and can even be made ahead, you will love these dessert recipes.

Watch Natasha Make this Tres Leches Cake:

If you enjoyed this Tres Leches Cake video, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel and click the bell icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing!

Tres Leches Cake Recipe

Resting Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours
Tres Leches Cake Dessert

Skill Level: Easy/Medium
Cost to Make: $8-$14 (varies by fruit used)
Keyword: tres leches cake

Ingredients:

Syrup:

Frosting:

• 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 cup berries to garnish, optional

How to Make Tres Leches Cake Base:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F and butter a 9x13 casserole pan. Set up three mixing bowls.

2. In a large bowl, sift together 1 cup flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 salt. Separate egg whites and yolks into the other two bowls.

3. Beat egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar with an electric mixer on high speed, until yolks are a pale yellow (2 minutes). Stir in 1/3 cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla.

4. Beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form (1 minute). With the mixer on, pour in remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat on high speed until egg whites are stiff but not dry (1 minute)

5. Pour egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and combine gently with a spatula.

6. Gently fold in egg white mixture with the spatula until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread to even out the surface and bake at 350˚F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

For the 3-Milk Syrup:

1. In a large measuring cup (or a bowl with a pouring lip), combine 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream, 12 oz evaporated milk and 9 oz condensed milk. When the cake is cool, pierce the surface all over with a fork. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the cake.

To Make the Whipped Cream Frosting:

1. Pour 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream and 2 Tbsp sugar into a large chilled mixing bowl and beat on high speed 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until thick, whipped and spreadable. Spread over the cake with a spatula then decorate with berries if desired.

Tres Leches Cake Recipe

We first published this recipe in 2011. We updated the photos and recipe Dec 2019, baking and serving out of a casserole dish and adding a little more evaporated milk to achieve that signature moistness of an authentic tres leches cake. Here is what the original photo looked like:

Tres leches cake slice on a plate with fresh strawberries

• Jessica
    October 21, 2020

Made the recipe exactly as listed and it’s perfect. Just a hint of sweetness and an ultra moist (but not soggy!) cake. Gave this to my friend for his birthday and he said this is probably the best tres leches cake he’s ever had.

October 21, 2020

That’s amazing! Thank you for sharing this awesome feedback with us, Jessica!

• Leah
    October 21, 2020

Awesome!

• Leah
    October 21, 2020

This recipe is awesome!! Made it yesterday for my husband birthday and received rave reviews! He’s a tres leches cake FAN, so his stamp of approval is highest marks. Thanks for all you do, I love your recipes.

October 21, 2020

What is an awesome review from your husband. Wishing him more birthdays and more delicious recipes to come!

• Dave
    October 20, 2020

Can this recipe be done with a pineapple twist to it? Have you every done this like in a pineapple upside down style? I’ve seen some recipes that they call a pina colada tres leches, but the recipes call for using a boxed cake mix. I love this recipe to much to try using a box cake mix. Any input would be great. Thanks

October 20, 2020

Hello Dave, that sounds like a great addition to this recipe but I have not personally tried that yet to advise. I think it’s worth trying, if you do an experiment, please share with us how it goes!

• Hanh
    October 16, 2020

Can I make this recipe into cupcakes?

October 16, 2020

I haven’t tested this as cupcakes but if you experiment, let me know how it goes.

• Hanh
    October 15, 2020

Can I make this recipe into cupcakes or should I use another cake recipe for tres leches cupcakes?

October 15, 2020

I haven’t really tried that yet to advise on the measurements. I imagine that would work but you would have to experiment to try it. Please share with us how it goes if you do an experiment.

• Hanh
        October 16, 2020

Thank you! I will try and check back.

• Amber
    October 14, 2020

The only pan I have is 13×9.5 and I need to make the cake today ideally. Should this be ok?

October 14, 2020

Hi Amber, that should work fine, although it will be slightly shorter since the pan is a little wider.

• Tenzin
    October 13, 2020

I am making this for my friends bday! Can I ask where you bought that stainless steel mixing with the spout and silicone base?

• Maria
    October 12, 2020

😭Natasha,thank you so much for this wonderful and delicious recipe this is my 4th time that I make it and today for the fist time the frosting came out perfect,I did try it the other 3 times but obviously I was doing something wrong,but not today.
    Thanks a lot,you’re Wonderful !!!

October 12, 2020

Hello Maria, so good to know that you were able to perfectly make this recipe. This is an all-time favorite and I’m glad you love this too!

• MaryEllen Sweet
    October 12, 2020

Hi Natasha, what if you use more of the condensed milk? just wondering as I have used a whole can in the past for this recipe?? Lmk thanks!!

October 12, 2020

Hi MaryEllen, that may work but it will also make the recipe more sweet.

• Lisa Redshaw
    October 9, 2020

Hi!!! I’m going to be making this cake tomorrow…my question is, can I use 2% milk instead of whole milk?

Lisa

October 9, 2020

Hi Lisa, yes 2% milk will work just fine.

• Saddiqah yasin
    October 1, 2020

Dear Natasha

This recipe is awsome. But my tres leches cake keeps shrinking every time i bake it.. why?

October 1, 2020

Hi Saddiqah, some shrinking is normal with this cake – it will pull away from the pan some and that is expected.

• Yamina Postell
    September 29, 2020

OMG!! I have made many many things from your site. I love it. I am a chef myself and every time I make something from your site I get many many nice feedback. I will be making this cake TONIGHT!!!!! Thank you so much for everything you have!!!!

September 29, 2020

Wow! Thank you so much for that wonderful feedback!

• Samaira
    September 26, 2020

Will a 10 x 8 inch pan work for this? I don’t have a 9 x 13 pan with the correct depth.

September 26, 2020

Hi, that would make for a taller cake since it’s a smaller pan. You may need to adjust the baking temperature and bake longer.

• Reine
    September 26, 2020

Love your recipes truly you are talented! I was just wondering about the metric measurements on this recipe. When I click metric it converts it to ml yet the measurements on google compared to yours indicate that conversion as grams not ml? For example 12oz in your conversion is 340.2ml yet 12oz on Google converts to 354.8ml. In grams it converts closer to the number you have provided 340.19 grams. Could you please clarify this for me. Thank you

September 26, 2020

Hi Reine, we convert liquid measurements to ml and dry ingredients to grams. Our post on how we measure ingredients may also be helpful.

• Reine
        September 26, 2020

Thanks for the reply. Although I meant that Google’s conversion to ml from OZ is a different amount to yours. Sorry if its a little confusing.

• Reine
        September 26, 2020

Thanks for your reply. Although Google’s conversion from OZ to ml comes up with a different amount to your conversion is what I meant. Sorry if it sounded a little confusing and I was wondering why that was. Thanks

• Linda Norden
      December 31, 2020

Hi Reine,

I just commented on the same thing. They used UK oz in the recipe conversion instead of US oz. I haven’t seen this on any of her other recipes, i believe its an error on the website.

• Keith Begelman
    September 24, 2020

I have been making desserts from your site for some time now and let me tell you I have been getting non stop requests for more over and over again..I just had made your (Kievsky) Kiev Cake OMG!!! It was very successful..It was time consuming but well worth the wait. A woman I work with is from Kiev and as a little girl her grandmother made it all the time for her and I brought it to her she ate it and started to cry.. I have never tried it so I needed someone to know what it tasted like to see if it was good and when I saw her starting to cry obviously I knew it was great thank you so much for all your recipe and keep them coming.

September 24, 2020

Oh my goodness!! This is so inspiring!! Thank you so much for sharing this thoughtful feedback with me Keith!!

• Visha
    September 22, 2020

Hey natasha i tried tres leches so many times your recipes are just so perfect And your tips really help in whole process thank you

September 22, 2020

I’m so glad our tips were helpful!

• Sarah
    September 22, 2020

Hi. I followed the recipe to the t. My cake rose really well and when it was done (checked are 35 mins with a toothpick and it was clean) so I removed and put it in a draft free space,only problem is it’s shrinking I don’t know why? Is this ok or am I doing something wrong. Thank you

September 22, 2020

Hi Sarah, some shrinking is normal with this cake – it will pull away from the pan some and that is expected.

• Carrie M
    September 20, 2020

Fun cake to make. I used the recipe to make tiramisu. However, the easiest (and best tasting, IMO) way to make a tres leches cake is by using pound cake mix. Use a baster to punch the holes in, bc you want every morsel saturated. Use extra liquid and let sit overnight in the fridge, then frost. I used to live in MX and love baking.

• Michelle Leach
    September 17, 2020

I made this cake for my church small group. It was so good. Everyone loved it.
    I will definitely be making this again.

September 17, 2020

That’s so great! Thank you for sharing that wonderful review, Michelle!

• Anastasha | All too yummy
    September 16, 2020

This looks so good 😊 making this weekend thanks

September 17, 2020

Nice! This is an all-time-favorite recipe, I think you will love this!

• Yasmine
    September 13, 2020

I made this tres leches cake yesterday for a family gathering. In my opinion it is the best recipe. This cake is fluffy and moist yet it is not soggy at all. Just the right amount of sweetness. We all loved it!!! This one is a keeper!!! Thank you for sharing.

September 14, 2020

What an awesome feedback, Yasmine. Thank you so much for sharing!

• Effy
      October 2, 2020

I’ve just made this cake, exactly as you have made it, but it was done after 20 minutes.. is this still ok? It’s a big difference from the time you’ve stated

October 2, 2020

Hi Effy, it’s hard to say without being there. There could be differences between pan sizes, thinner cakes, oven running hotter, or the need for it to be calibrated.

• Lilli
    September 13, 2020

Natasha – you are one of my go to’s for the best recipes!!!! I use gluten free one to one flour, but no one can even tell! Today I have to make 2 cakes, but I was thinking of making the recipe as is, and when it’s all mixed, weigh it so I can put 1/2 the batter in one pan and the 1/2 in another. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks so much! And that you for all the amazing recipes that I have fed my family with!!!

September 14, 2020

Hi Lilli, That’s a great way to be sure you have the same amount in each pan! I hope you love this recipe!

• Lilli
        September 20, 2020

Another huge hit!!! I had to make 2 more today, and one gluten free for us 😉. When people call me to say how amazing it was, and they’re fighting over the last piece, then I knew I had to make them another one!!
        Thanks so much!!!

September 21, 2020

Love it! So happy to be reading your comments and feedback. Thank you so much!

• Bethany Watkins
    September 11, 2020

Perfection! I will post my photos.

September 11, 2020

I’m so happy you enjoyed that Bethany!

• Julie Potter
    September 7, 2020

My cake came out of the oven nice and tall but while cooling totally collapsed to about half the height! What did I do wrong!?

September 7, 2020

Hello Julie, some tips, it’s best not to open the oven when cooking this cake – the heat escaping quickly can cause the cake to sink in the center. Also, try mixing another couple of minutes – if you are using a hand mixer or anything other than the highest speed, the cake won’t rise properly since it relies on the volume of eggs and sugar to rise. Also, are you making sure to measure your dry ingredients properly? I hope that helps!

• Geraldee Campbell Balbona
    September 4, 2020

Amazing recipe! Made this for my family and theY absolutely loved it.
    The perfect tres leches cake that we’ve all been craving for!

September 5, 2020

That’s so great! It sounds like you have a new favorite!

• Tonya Nero
    August 30, 2020

I first tasted this cake in Peru and was on a search for a recipe. I saw the positive reviews on this one and decided to try it. It came out perfect and tastes just like the one in Peru. Thank you, Natasha for the detailed instructions and wonderful recipe ❤

August 30, 2020

Fantastic! It is so awesome to know that you loved this cake. Thanks for your perfect review, we appreciate you sharing it with us!

• Elizabeth
    August 30, 2020

This cake is divine. I kicked myself for not baking it sooner!

August 30, 2020

Perfect! Thank you so much for your awesome feedback, Elizabeth. I hope this becomes a favorite for you!

• fidha
    August 28, 2020

While my cake was baking it was evenly puffed up and once I took it out of the oven it got shrink on edges and the puffed-up look changed. may I know what will be the reason? but the taste was superb and the cake was soft also.

August 28, 2020

Hi Fidha, I have not had that experience. Was anything altered in the recipe? I recommend checking out our post on measuring here.

• Gabreal Garcia
    August 26, 2020

Once baked can i leave the cake out of the refrigerator without the syrup.
    Or would it be better to add the syrup and frost then refrigerate.

August 28, 2020

Hi Gabreal, you could add the syrup later and it would still work great.

• Allison
    August 23, 2020

Hi, could I use Aquafaba as a substitute for the egg whites? I was not sure how it would turn out

August 23, 2020

Hi Allison, I have not really tried using that yet in this recipe to advise. You might need to do an experiment, if you try, please share with us how it goes!

• Dani
    August 21, 2020

Can i use all purpose cream instead of heavy whipping cream?

August 21, 2020

Hi Dani, make sure you use HEAVY whipping cream which should be about 35-40% fat content. Regular whipping cream has less fat and will be difficult to whip. I use a heavy whipping cream that comes from cows milk.

• Dani
        August 23, 2020

Ok. Is it possible to half the recipe? If yes, what size of baking pan/dish should i use?

August 24, 2020

Hi Dani, I always make the full batch. I would guess an 8×8 pan would probably work well or a 9″ round cake pan.

• fidha nazar
    August 20, 2020

Is the measurement is like 1 cup is 250 ml or 125 ml

• Almira
    August 18, 2020

Hi, Natasha. This recipe taste amazing! But, my cake deflated soo much in sec when came out from oven. I don’t know what happen:( I’m really sure I followed the recipe correctly

August 18, 2020

Hi Almira, It should not sink in the middle, should be pretty leveled. Some tips, it’s best not to open the oven when cooking this cake – the heat escaping quickly can cause the cake to sink in the center. Also, try mixing another couple of minutes – if you are using a hand mixer or anything other than the highest speed, the cake won’t rise properly since it relies on the volume of eggs and sugar to rise. Also, are you making sure to measure your dry ingredients properly? I hope that helps!

• Donna
    August 18, 2020

Hi Natasha, can I delay the baking even I already have prepared the batter? Plan to bake 2 batches but my oven is not big enough. Also, can I use evap milk for the whole milk? Excited to try your recipe,will be my first time to make a tres leches.Thank you.

August 20, 2020

Hi Donna, I haven’t tried that but once the leavening is in and the wet and dry ingredients are combined, it’s best to bake right away for best results. I would recommend making 2 separate batches and baking them separately. The great news is that the cake base can be done a day ahead.

• Natalie
    August 17, 2020

I made this recipe last week and it was by far the best tres leches cake I’ve had! I normally always bought it at places but now I can make your recipe! Love it!
    I am planning on making it again for a family gathering, if I double the recipe, what dish baking pan do you recommend using?

August 18, 2020

Hi Natalie, If you wanted to make a 2-tier 13×9 cake, you would double it, but the 2-layer round cake is essentially the same recipe as a single layer 9×13. I hope that makes sense! This recipe above is the recipe I would recommend for a 13×9 cake. This is how I make it when I want a 13×9 without any modifications. I hope that is helpful!

• Savannah
    August 17, 2020

How would I make a chocolate version of the cake?

August 17, 2020

Hi Savannah! I honestly have not tried this as a chocolate version so you might need to google that. Since baking is so much of a science, I can’t make any recommendations without testing them first.

• Fanny
    August 14, 2020

I have made this recipe more than couple times but I wanted to double it without using two pans can I still do it double in the 9×13 pan?

August 17, 2020

Hi Fanny, you would need 2 pans 9×13 each or it would overflow.

• Amritha R
    August 10, 2020

AMAZING CAKE !!! Everyone loved the cake… Thank you…

August 10, 2020

That’s just awesome Amritha! Thank you for sharing that great review with me!

• Tina Ann Thomas
    August 5, 2020

Can I replace evaporated milk with anything else ? It’s not available here in India

August 5, 2020

Hi Tina, You can try making it yourself: mix 2/3 cup non-fat dry milk with 3/4 cup water. OR you can use this combination: 3/4 cup whole milk and 1/4 cup half-and-half.

• Hina Zafar
    August 3, 2020

Hi! Can you make this in a disposable aluminum 9×13 inch pan or should you use a glass casserole dish?

August 3, 2020

Hi Hina, I imagine that should work fine too

• Melanie
    August 3, 2020

Natasha the cake looks amazing !! I was wondering if I could use cake flour instead of all purpose?

August 3, 2020

Hi Melanie! I haven’t tried this with cake flour only because cake flour produces a finer crumb and this cake gets pretty heavy with all of the soaking syrup.

• Elizabeth
        August 30, 2020

I tried it with cake flour and it turned out great. Honestly this cake blew my mind 💥.

August 30, 2020

Awesome! Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback.

• Tammy
    August 2, 2020

I’ve made this cake so many times because I know it will turn out delicious and light. Today I decided to experiment and added three very ripe bananas. It didn’t fluff up like it normally does because of the weight of the bananas but goodness it still is pretty perfect. Like a banana sponge cake!

August 2, 2020

That’s nice to know, thank you for sharing that with us Tammy!

• Mamata
    August 2, 2020

Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe. It is very simple and just delicious. I’ve made this twice in the space of a few weeks for my husband’s and toddler’s birthdays because everyone loved it.

August 2, 2020

So great to hear that they really enjoy this cake! Thanks for sharing your good feedback with us!

• Nina
    August 1, 2020

I made this cake for my daughters bday , it came out great and was so moist. Thanks for the perfect recipe

August 1, 2020

I’m so happy you enjoyed that. Thank you for sharing that with us!

• Thang
    July 25, 2020

Hi Natasha, I have made the cake base yesterday & store it covered in the fridge, but I haven’t add the syrup yet, which I plan to do it tomorrow. One question to you, should I make sure the cake base to reach room temperature before pouring the syrup? Or I can just pour it when the cake base is still cool right after taking it out from the fridge? Can you please enlighten me on this? Thank you for this great recipe.. it is very easy to follow.. You’re so awesome !!

July 25, 2020

Hi Thang, you can add the syrup onto the chilled cake. That will work. It may take a few minutes longer to soak up the syrup, but will work fine. You can also add the syrup and then refrigerate. Both ways will work fine.

• katie
    July 22, 2020

I doubled this recipe and it tasted amazing. After they came out of the oven, they deflated a little bit. Do you have any tips to prevent this because I’d love to make this cake again.

July 22, 2020

Sorry to hear that, Katie. Some tips, it’s best not to open the oven when cooking this cake – the heat escaping quickly can cause the cake to sink in the center. Also, try mixing another couple of minutes – if you are using a hand mixer or anything other than the highest speed, the cake won’t rise properly since it relies on the volume of eggs and sugar to rise. Also, are you making sure to measure your dry ingredients properly? I hope that helps!

• Love
    July 22, 2020

This recipe is great! I made it twice with 2 small smaller baking pans but for both times the center of the cake sunk while cooling. What could i have done wrong? The cake tastes good on both times though.

July 22, 2020

Hi Love, It should not sink in the middle, should be pretty leveled. Some tips, it’s best not to open the oven when cooking this cake – the heat escaping quickly can cause the cake to sink in the center. Also, try mixing another couple of minutes – if you are using a hand mixer or anything other than the highest speed, the cake won’t rise properly since it relies on the volume of eggs and sugar to rise. Also, are you making sure to measure your dry ingredients properly? I hope that helps!

• Via
    July 21, 2020

Can I substitute vanilla extract for anything? or omit it out?

July 21, 2020

Hi Via, I haven’t tested this but a couple of our readers mentioned they were planning on trying it with almond or lemon extract. I would love to know how you like this recipe if you try either of those.

• Grace
    July 19, 2020

Hi Natasha, can I use 9inch cake pan with this recipe?

July 19, 2020

Hi Grace, yes that should work

• Grace
        July 31, 2020

this recipe was the bomb. I made it and I couldn’t stop eating.. This recipe always a good combo with hot tea or black coffee … Yummylicous..

July 31, 2020

That’s so great Grace! Sounds like you found a new favorite!

• grace
            August 1, 2020

yes. thanks to you

• grace
            August 7, 2020

I just wanted to share.
            My husband(is a navy nurse) had a potuck in the hospital since they been working so hard with this pandemic. So I decided to make tres de leche round cake. Oh boy! they finished the whole cake not even finishing the main course. It was successful. They were thinking to order from me. But honestly, I am new in baking cakes so my confidence is not that great😂. Esp on doing frosting. but hey quality over quantity😅. More recipes to try from your blog, Natasha. I am making more tonight and my 1st time to try”russian tiramisu cake” since my sister and nephew’s birthday.Goodluck to me. Such a winner recipe🥰😍..Aloha🥰

August 7, 2020

That is so inspiring, thank you for sharing that with us. It really helps motivate us to do more content.

• Alisha Babar
    July 18, 2020

I haven’t tried to recipe yet but can I substitute granulated sugar for brown sugar?

Also, I’m not a fan of overly sweet things and I’d like to know how to reduce the sweetness of this cake.

July 18, 2020

Hi Alisha, I have not tested that with brown sugar to advise. If you experiment, let me know how you liked the recipe.

• Alisha Babar
        July 19, 2020

I will! Planning on making it Wednesday. But any advice on how to reduce the overall sweetness of the cake?

July 20, 2020

• Daphne
    July 18, 2020

I made the cake and it was so good! Family and friends love it! However, I did not have a 9×13 casserole pan and only have a 7×10 so I adjusted the ingredients to 60% of the actual amount. Luckily, it still turned out great! Just that I should have also reduced the bake time as the bottom and top became too brown. I reduced the condense milk and also the sugar in the cream as advised, which works in balancing out the sweetness of the cake. Also, I would add more syrup next time! Will try again next time! Thanks for the recipe!

July 19, 2020

Yay I am so glad you were able to make it work. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us, Daphne.

• ALICE
    July 17, 2020

if i make this today but im eating it tomorrow, should i put the whip cream on today or tomorrow?

July 17, 2020

Hi Alice, I have done it both ways and it will work to do it ahead if you beat the cream sufficiently so it isn’t runny. The safest way is to make it the day you are serving and I would apply the berries (if using) just before serving.

• aneesa khan
    July 17, 2020

I have made this cake a few times and its a super hit with the family. My daughter loves chocolate so I’m experimenting and adding some cocoa powder I hope it will works

July 17, 2020

That’s just awesome Aneesa! Thank you for the wonderful review! I’d love to know how you like the chocolate version!

• Angela
    July 13, 2020

Hi Natasha, I made your Tres Leches Cake and served it to our friends last night. We all said this cake is delicious! How can the frosting be made a little sweeter? Thank you! Angela

July 13, 2020

Hi Angela, I’m so happy to hear you all enjoyed this recipe! You can add more sugar to the cream if you would like.

• Janki
    July 11, 2020

I am making this for tonight. Can I use cool whip instead of 2 cups of heavy whipping cream for the frosting? If yes, how much cool whip should I use and how long before serving should I put the frosting? Can I also use cool whip for the syrup as well? Thanks!

July 11, 2020

Hi Janki, I haven’t tried this with cool whip to be honest. I suspect it would work but the flavor of the cream would be different.

• Colleen
    July 11, 2020

I don’t have a ceramic or glass pan, will it still come out if I use a dark metal pan?

July 13, 2020

Hi Colleen, I bet it could still work in a metal pan.

• Nazia
    July 10, 2020

I just baked the cake Friday night. It’s for Sunday evening. After cooking it could I just store it in the refrigerator covering it with cling wrap and then add the three milk Saturday night? Would appreciate if you could kindly respond the soonest

July 10, 2020

Hi Nazia, that should work! Make sure to keep it covered and refrigerated.

• Yadid
    July 7, 2020

Dumb question: Could you beat the eggs and make the frosting using a Kitchen Aid instead of an electric hand mixer. Sadly, I have the kitchenAid but not the hand mixer and want this badly!

July 9, 2020

Hi Yadid, this may work with a stand mixer but do your best to not over beat it.

• TC
    July 6, 2020

Hi Natasha! I made the layered version of this and it was A HIT.

I just want to ask how I can adjust this if I’m using a ceramic dish measured 14 3/4 x 11 in?

Thank you so much!

July 7, 2020

Hi TC, we used a 9×13 for this recipe. Making it to fit a 14×11 will make a much slimmer cake. You may want to increase the amount of batter by a bit.

• TC
        July 9, 2020

Thank you! Do you think increasing it by 1.5 will be good?

July 9, 2020

I haven’t tested it that way but it should work. You might need to mix a little longer to beat things adequately and make sure to use a pan that is proportionally larger.

• Umaimah Mulla
    July 4, 2020

Hey Natasha!

So as I commented last week, I did make this cake for my Dad’s birthday on the 1st of July and it turned out AMAZING. Everyone absolutely loved it & we all enjoyed eating our first ever Tres Leches.

Thank you so much for an amazing recipe & for answering two of my queries last week!

This recipe is now a keeper.

July 4, 2020

I’m so glad you all enjoyed this recipe!! Thank you so that amazing review! I’m glad the tips worked!

• Jodeez
    July 3, 2020

This is by far the best tres leches cake I have ever made. I added the whole can of condensed milk.. the milkier the better for me.

July 3, 2020

Sounds like you found a new favorite! Thank you for that great review!

• Stephanie
    July 2, 2020

Hi Natasha! I made this for Father’s Day and it was phenomenal! I’m making this again for the 4th of July, but would like to use a 12×18 sheet pan. Can I double this receipt or 1.5x it? Thanks!

July 2, 2020

Hi Stephanie, that sounds to be about the size of a half sheet. I haven’t tried that as a half sheet but I imagine 1.5 times the recipe may be more may be needed. I would love to know how it turns out if you experiment.

• Daphne
        July 15, 2020

Hi Natasha, my family is not a fan of desserts which are too sweet but still love their cake! Is it possible to make this cake with 50-80% of the sugar used? Appreciate if you can help. Thanks in advance!!

July 15, 2020

Hi Daphne, the cake won’t rise properly since it relies on the volume of eggs and sugar to rise so I would keep the sugar he same in the cake itself. You may try reducing the amount of sugar in the cream and using less sweetened condensed milk in the syrup. I hope that helps

• Daphne
            July 16, 2020

Thanks for the very fast response!! Ok. I will try to adjust the sweetness in the milk mixture and the cream instead. Thank you 🙂

• Kali Lally
    June 29, 2020

Hi Natasha! Love your posts and cooking! I have tried many of your recipes and the family has loved them so far!
    Question – I am making this cake this weekend, how far in advance can I make it? I am planning on serving it on Sunday, the same with the “Perfect Cheesecake”

June 29, 2020

Hi Kali, It should still be fine up to 2 days. Make sure to keep it covered and refrigerated.

• Umaimah Mulla
    June 29, 2020

I’m baking this cake for Wednesday and planning to bake the base and soak with 3 milks on Tuesday night.
    The next day i will add the whipped cream before serving.

Do you think that will be ok?

Thanks.

June 29, 2020

Hi, yes that will be ok, just make sure to cover with plastic wrap overnight and refrigerate.

• Umaimah Mulla
        June 30, 2020

Done, thank you so much! 🙂

• Nathaly
          November 9, 2020

I’ve tried your layered tres leches and it was delicious. I do double the syrup 🙈. I would like to half this recipe, would I use 2/3 eggs?
          Also, i have made cupcakes from them and they were delicious.

November 9, 2020

Hi Nathaly, we always make the full batch. You can make this using 2.5 eggs. For the last egg, I give it a lite scramble and use half of it. I hope that is helpful.

• Mary Kulak
    June 28, 2020

Hi Natasha, I would like to make this cake in a sheet pan for big crowd, you think that would work? I love your recipes and videos, and your beautiful family, Thankyou💜

June 28, 2020

Hello Mary, I imagine that should work. Please share with us how it goes if you do an experiment.

• Sky
      August 22, 2020

I did this cake for 4th of july and the two layered cake for a friend’s bday yesterday! It’s both pretty and delicious! I hope I can send you the pictures.

I will hold onto this recipe! Thanks for this natasha!

By the way, I’m thinking of making cupcakes out of this recipe and just a change in baking time. Do you think that would work? Any other watchouts?

August 22, 2020

Hi Sky, I haven’t experimented with making cupcakes with this recipe so I can’t say for sure how long these would need to be cooked for.

• Ines Andre
    June 27, 2020

I just wanted to let you know I have used many of your recipes. My family has loved every one. Thank you

June 27, 2020

You’re welcome Ines! I’m so happy to hear that!

• Umaimah Mulla
    June 27, 2020

Hey Natasha!

I’m planning to make this cake for my Dad’s birthday next week.

Can you please tell me how much will the 12 oz & 9 oz be in ml?!

Many thanks!

June 27, 2020

Hi Umaimah, We have the metric conversion option towards the bottom of the recipe. Once you scroll down to that click the red ‘metric’ on the printable recipe card. I hope that helps.

• Umaimah Mulla
        June 28, 2020

Ahh wonderful! Thank you so much.

• Marina
    June 23, 2020

The cake is very good! Easy to make and it was complemented a lot! Will sure make it again.Thank you!

June 23, 2020

Thanks for your great feedback. I am so glad that everyone loved it!

• Kaitlyn Halonen
    June 22, 2020

DELICIOUS!! This was my first time making a Tres leches cake and this recipe was so simple to follow and took no time at all to prepare. I love it because it’s not heavy and has the perfect amount of sweetness to it. I sprinkled cinnamon on top of the whipped cream layer and berries and it was perfect! My only complaint is that the measurements in the recipes for the sauce makes more than what’s seen in the video, and I ended up having to spill some out of the pan because I was scared it’d become soggy as it wasn’t all absorbing after a few minutes.

June 23, 2020

Hi Kaitlyn, it does seem like a lot of sauce but it is just the right amount. This cake is supposed to be super moist and it doesn’t get soggy but holds the moisture well.

• Lavanya
    June 21, 2020

Can self raising flour be used in this recipe? Thanks so much for all your wonderful recipes.

June 21, 2020

You’re welcome! I have not personally tried and tested that to advise but if you want to do an experiment, please share with us how it goes.

• Rabya
    June 21, 2020

Made this cake today for my father-in-law on Father’s Day n he and everyone absolutely LOVED it. The colder it’s getting in the fridge, the tastier it’s getting 😊 Thank you so much.
    Btw I made 2 changes, added 3/4 cups sugar only n 3 eggs + 1 yolk instead of 5. It was a HUGE hit 👍

June 21, 2020

So wonderful to hear that, Rabya! Thanks for sharing that with us and for giving this recipe excellent feedback!

• Lori
    June 20, 2020

This really is the best tres leches cake I’ve ever had! My husband absolutely loved it!

June 21, 2020

Awesome feedback! Thank you so much for sharing that with us.

• Carolina
    June 19, 2020

I love this recipe, Thank you so much. As a Mexican myself, this recipe it is pretty good and some of the best ones i have try to make this cake. Muchas Gracias

June 20, 2020

That’s just awesome! Thank you for that great review, Carolina!

• anon
    June 19, 2020

I’ve never written a review before but for this I had to, this cake came out absolutely perfect!! my friends and family could not get enough of it. Natasha explains the steps very simply so its so easy to follow, there’s no way you can go wrong!

June 19, 2020

You’re so nice! Thank you for that wonderful review Anon!