Home > Dessert > Cake > Tres Leches Cake Recipe (VIDEO)

Tres Leches Cake Recipe (VIDEO)

Tres Leches Cake has a soft and ultra-moist crumb. It is soaked with a 3 milk mixture and topped with a lightly sweetened whipped cream. This is an authentic Tres Leches Cake recipe and the best we have tried. It beats any store-bought version all day long!

We love the simple, crowd-pleasing desserts that come together in a casserole dish like classic Tiramisu, our popular Strawberry Pretzel Salad, and of course this easy Tres Leches Cake. They are easy to make and perfect to bring to potlucks and parties. They transfer well and are always the first to disappear.

Slice of Tres Leches Cake on a plate with fork

What is Tres Leches Cake?

Tres Leches is a popular authentic Mexican cake. I am a fan of moist cakes and this Tres Leches Cake blew me away. The syrup is made of – you guessed it – tres leches (which means three kinds of milk). You poke holes into the cake before pouring over the syrup so every bite is decadently moist. The cake is rich but has a light feel to it and is balanced by the lightly sweetened whipped cream. We even bravely turned it into a Layered Tres Leches Cake!

My cousin Katerina sent me this Tres Leches Cake recipe a (long) while back and I finally found time to make it. It was adapted from the Pioneer Woman.

Tres Leches cake in casserole dish with slice removed to show moist layers

Tres Leches Ingredients:

This recipe calls for very simple ingredients, most of which are refrigerator and pantry staples. It has 3 kinds of milk poured over the cake: evaporated milk, heavy whipping cream, and sweetened condensed milk. It’s topped with a 2-ingredient whipped cream frosting. We love adding fresh berries like strawberries and raspberries over the top for a prettier presentation.

Tres Leches Ingredients with heavy whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, flour, salt and baking powder

Tips for the Best Tres Leches Cake:

• Watch the video tutorial below before beginning to gauge the process and tools needed before starting.
  • Measure dry and wet ingredients correctly. For the flour, spoon it into dry ingredients measuring cup and level off the top.
  • Cold eggs are easier to separate into whites and yolks.
  • Fold the batter with a spatula just until it is well incorporated then stop. Do not overmix since the cake relies on the volume of the eggs to rise.
  • While cooling the cake to room temperature, avoid any outdoor draft. Any egg-based cake can take on an “eggy” aroma if it gets outdoor air.
  • Let the cake rest 30 min after pouring on the syrup so it can absorb every drop.
  • Bake in a ceramic or glass casserole dish for the best rise and it’s easier to serve right out of the casserole dish.

Moist slice of tres leches cake on a spatula with casserole beneath

Answering Your Burning Questions:

How long does tres leches cake last? You can fully assemble and make a tres leches cake 1 to 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Add fresh berries just before serving, especially if berries are sliced.

Is Tres Leches supposed to be soggy? It is supposed to be very moist. The cake base is a sponge cake so it takes on the generous amount of syrup without getting soggy. This is why I avoid using a boxed white cake mix which can quickly become “soggy” since it’s not meant to absorb liquid.

Can Tres Leches Cake be frozen? You can make the cake base ahead of time. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature then cover the casserole dish tightly with a couple of layers of plastic wrap and freeze the tres leches cake base up to 2 months. Thaw the cake in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter before using it. It is not recommended to freeze the cake once the syrup and frosting are added.

Fully assembled tres leches cake ready for refrigeration

How to Make Tres Leches Cake:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F and butter a casserole dish. Set up 3 mixing bowls.
  2. Sift the dry ingredients into the first bowl. Separate egg whites and yolks into the other 2 bowls.
  3. Using an electric hand mixer beat yolks with 3/4 cup sugar on high speed, until pale yellow (2 min). Stir in 1/3 cup milk and vanilla.
  4. With clean and dry egg beaters, beat whites on high speed until soft peaks form (1 min). With the mixer on, add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat on high speed until whites are stiff but not dry (1 min).
  5. Pour egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and use a spatula to blend together. Gently fold in egg white mixture until just combined. Pour batter into prepared casserole and bake 30-35 minutes.
  6. When the cake has cooled, pierce all over with a fork and slowly drizzle on the 3-milks mixture. Let rest 30 minutes then top with whipped cream and berries.

step by step instructions for how to make tres leches cake in 3 bowls

This has to be one of the moistest cakes around. It goes down easy and you’ll savor every bite. Make this for your next party and you will become known for your Tres Leches recipe!

Moist tres leches cake on a plate topped with whipped cream and berries

Our Best Potluck Desserts:

If you’re looking for more party favorite desserts that are simple to make, transport well and can even be made ahead, you will love these dessert recipes.

Watch Natasha Make this Tres Leches Cake:

If you enjoyed this Tres Leches Cake video, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel and click the bell icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video. THANK YOU for subscribing!

Tres Leches Cake Recipe

Resting Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours
Tres Leches Cake Dessert

Skill Level: Easy/Medium
Cost to Make: $8-$14 (varies by fruit used)
Keyword: tres leches cake

Ingredients:

Syrup:

Frosting:

• 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 cup berries to garnish, optional

How to Make Tres Leches Cake Base:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F and butter a 9x13 casserole pan. Set up three mixing bowls.

2. In a large bowl, sift together 1 cup flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 salt. Separate egg whites and yolks into the other two bowls.

3. Beat egg yolks with 3/4 cup sugar with an electric mixer on high speed, until yolks are a pale yellow (2 minutes). Stir in 1/3 cup milk and 1 tsp vanilla.

4. Beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form (1 minute). With the mixer on, pour in remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat on high speed until egg whites are stiff but not dry (1 minute)

5. Pour egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and combine gently with a spatula.

6. Gently fold in egg white mixture with the spatula until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread to even out the surface and bake at 350˚F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

For the 3-Milk Syrup:

1. In a large measuring cup (or a bowl with a pouring lip), combine 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream, 12 oz evaporated milk and 9 oz condensed milk. When the cake is cool, pierce the surface all over with a fork. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the cake.

To Make the Whipped Cream Frosting:

1. Pour 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream and 2 Tbsp sugar into a large chilled mixing bowl and beat on high speed 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until thick, whipped and spreadable. Spread over the cake with a spatula then decorate with berries if desired.

Tres Leches Cake Recipe

We first published this recipe in 2011. We updated the photos and recipe Dec 2019, baking and serving out of a casserole dish and adding a little more evaporated milk to achieve that signature moistness of an authentic tres leches cake. Here is what the original photo looked like:

Tres leches cake slice on a plate with fresh strawberries

• Lama
    January 28, 2021

This recipe is AMAZING! I really cannot stress enough how good it is!!! I can even still feel its taste after 30 mins!
    Procedure very wellll explained!

January 28, 2021

That’s so great! It sounds like you have a new favorite!

• Sally
    January 28, 2021

Love your recipes but will ever make some gluten free meals and desserts!

January 28, 2021

Thank you so much for that suggestion, Sally! Most of our recipes have gluten-free substitutions that our customers share in the recipe comments. We will add your suggestion to our list.

• Pia P.
    January 27, 2021

It was my first time making this cake and it turned out to be perfectly baked. Thank you for this recipe. It was so easy to follow. Everyone loves it! They are asking me to bake more again. Thank you Natasha! 🙂

January 28, 2021

I’m happy to hear that, Pia! Thank you for sharing your good feedback with us.

• Ash Miller
    January 26, 2021

Thank you!! This was such an easy recipe to follow and your video helped a lot! I dont always get cakes right but this one turned out perfectly! Is there a way to make this chocolate based instead please?

January 26, 2021

I’m glad you enjoyed this recipe! I honestly have not tried this as a chocolate version, so you might need to google that. Since baking is so much of a science, I can’t make any recommendations without testing them first.

• Maria Miranda
    January 23, 2021

Hi! I’m from Mexico and had been looking for this recipe it turned out exactly as the one my aunt used to make!, thank you, I remembered very good moments and my beloved aunt 😍😍😍

January 23, 2021

I’m so happy to hear that it brought back sweet memories for you.

• Karen
    January 23, 2021

Hi I have made tres leche cakes before using a different recipe this time I followed instructions perfectly looked just like video. After cooling cake sank in the middle and then got soggy after pouring on 3 milks. I didnt open oven and mixed egg whites like video. Never had this happen before.

January 23, 2021

Hi Karen, I haven’t had that happen but it sounds like you read through a few comments our readers left. It should not sink in the middle, should be pretty leveled. Try mixing another couple of minutes – if you are using a hand mixer or anything other than the highest speed, the cake won’t rise properly since it relies on the volume of eggs and sugar to rise. Also, are you making sure to measure your dry ingredients properly? I hope that helps!

• Melissa
    January 21, 2021

Hi Natasha, I made your cake but it sunk in the middle. Did I do something wrong while mixing?

January 21, 2021

Hi Melissa, It should not sink in the middle, it should be pretty leveled. Some tips, it’s best not to open the oven when cooking this cake – the heat escaping quickly can cause the cake to sink in the center. Also, try mixing another couple of minutes – if you are using a hand mixer or anything other than the highest speed, the cake won’t rise properly since it relies on the volume of eggs and sugar to rise. Also, are you making sure to measure your dry ingredients properly? I hope that helps!

• Melissa
        February 7, 2021

Hi Natasha, I think I didn’t mix the eggs long enough. I’ll do that next time. I love the cake enough if it sunk in the middle 😋. Thank you

February 7, 2021

You’re welcome and I hope it will be perfect on your next try!

• Zahrah Mohideen
    January 20, 2021

The best recipeeee!! Love all your recipes

January 20, 2021

Aww, that’s the best! Thank you for sharing that with me!

• Shimie
    January 15, 2021

This cake is so amazing!! Thank you so much for sharing! My husband bragged about this cake from a restaurant. It was made with coconut milk. I made your recipe tonight for my birthday and wow!… I will continue to make this.

January 15, 2021

I’m so happy to hear that! Thank you for sharing your great review!

• Grace
    January 13, 2021

Hi , I am all set to bake the cake and realised that there is no butter or oil in the ingredients.
    Am I missing something? Please reply because I am baking this as a surprise for a dear friend’s very special day.

January 14, 2021

Hello Grace, we’ve made this recipe a lot of times using the same process and ingredients and it always worked great! You will only use butter to butter the casserole pan.

• Shelley
    January 12, 2021

Hi Natasha, I baked the cake tonight for tomorrow but can I wait to put the syrup and whipping cream mixture and do that tomorrow. Or do the syrup tonight.?P THANK YOU KINDLY

January 12, 2021

Hi Shelley, you can soak it a day ahead or soak the next day. I like to frost and decorate the day I am serving. Once the syrup and frosting are on the cake, it does need to stay refrigerated since it is dairy.

• Ruth
    January 11, 2021

Hello, I’ve made this cake 5 times in one week. It’s always turned out absolutely stunning. It’s so much fun to make too! Thank you for this gorgeous recipe!

January 11, 2021

That’s just awesome! Thank you for sharing your wonderful review!

• KP
    January 10, 2021

I made this tonight and we all loved it! Next time I will probably make less whipped cream so the cake stands out a little more. Thanks for this recipe.

January 10, 2021

Sounds great, KP! I hope this recipe becomes your new favorite.

• Farah D
        January 22, 2021

Loved it turned out amazing. Just wondering how it would turn out now using Monk sugar. If anyone has tried it let me know.

• Caroline H NY
    January 10, 2021

I made this scrumptious dessert and it was sooo delicious. Everything about it was absolutely delicious That wonderful sponge cake was so awesome light and fluffy. And I love the whip cream topping! (A little side point. Because there is only two of us, I cut half of it and put it in the freezer after adding the milks. Defrosted it in frig & made the rest of the whip ped cream topping & came out just as good)Keep those wonderful recipes coming. I have probably done 8 to 10 of your recipes within the last two or three months. Thank you

January 10, 2021

Yay, love it! Thank you so much for sharing your awesome comments with us, Caroline. I hope that you and your family will love every recipe that you will try.

• Mikayla
    January 10, 2021

Hey Natasha! The cake turned out delicious! We already can’t wait to make it again!
    When I took it out of the oven, it was so tall and fluffy! I let it cool and it seems to have fell in the middle, almost like a soufflé. Could I have over or under beaten the eggs?

Thanks in advance!

January 10, 2021

Hi Mikayla, It should not sink in the middle, should be pretty leveled. Some tips, it’s best not to open the oven when cooking this cake – the heat escaping quickly can cause the cake to sink in the center. Also, try mixing another couple of minutes – if you are using a hand mixer or anything other than the highest speed, the cake won’t rise properly since it relies on the volume of eggs and sugar to rise. Also, are you making sure to measure your dry ingredients properly? I hope that helps!

• Jordan
    January 9, 2021

Can you make this in 9in round pans? If so should I divide it into 2 or could I split it into 3?

• Sharon R.
    January 9, 2021

Made this last weekend – did use full can of sweetened condensed milk & full can of evaporated milk. Very good! My son doesn’t usually like cake & he said this was to die for!

January 9, 2021

I’m so happy to hear that! Thank you for sharing your great review.

• Kristia aningat
    January 7, 2021

Hi! Would want to make these into cupcakes, any idea how many this recipe would yield 🙂

January 8, 2021

Hi Kristia, I haven’t tried turning this into cupcakes to advise of the measurements. You might need to do an experiment on that one. Please share with us how it goes if you try it!

• Paula
    January 4, 2021

OMG Amazing – I have wanted to make this for so long but was a little intimidated by the process. You made it easy & fuss-free – thank you Natasha. It was everything I hoped & dreamed it would be but more… So delicious – such a pleasing, moreish cake that absolutely everyone loved from the young to the very old.

January 4, 2021

I’m so happy to hear that! Thank you for sharing your great review, Paula!

• Linda Norden
    January 4, 2021

Made this for new years and it was sooooo good! Definitely a keeper to do again and again and a new favorite in our house. So easy to make too! Made it in the morning and let it soak up the syrup in the fridge during the day, then frosted it before serving. I decorated it with raspberries and shaved dark chocolate. I was worried as I hate anything soggy but it was just moist and delicious.

I halved the recipe as it was just 2 of us in an 8×8 casserole dish, it was ready in my oven after 25 mins. I also switched the qtys for the 2 milks as I don’t like overly sweet desserts and used normal milk instead of the evaporated milk as I couldn’t find it.

January 4, 2021

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us, Linda! I’m happy you enjoyed that.

• Rebecca Chao
    January 4, 2021

This cake come out so nice and my family love it. I am so glad I find your recipe!

• Raymon Azcona
    January 3, 2021

I enjoyed the cake. Thank you so much for the recipe and video. I just got a mixer, and I’m not well-versed in what things like “peaks” and “ribbon” refer to in the kitchen. However, watching your video was a great learning experience.

As a Dominican, I’m used to the cake being even more wet than what this recipe rendered. I also wonder about the amount of heavy cream in the syrup. It certainly gives the syrup a taste I’m not accustomed to. Would whole or almond milk be okay to use as the third leche instead of heavy cream?

Thanks again!

January 4, 2021

Hi Raymon, the heavy cream will give it a richer flavor but I think you can experiment.

• Chubiyo
    January 2, 2021

10/10 recipe. Followed the instructions to a t and I’m in love. Can’t stop thinking about how amazing this cake is. Even before adding the cream mixture, the sponge reminds of sponge cakes I had when I was little. Recipe’s a keeper and this won’t be my last time making this for sure. Thanks for this!

January 2, 2021

I’m so happy to hear that! Thank you for sharing your great review!

• Jenn
    December 29, 2020

I’ve made this plenty of times and comes out perfect !

Will there be any issues in using those silver foil disposable trays ? Figured it be easier to bring it to a party than use one of my casserole dishes and forget to bring it home!

December 29, 2020

Hi Jenn, one of our readers wrote: “Aluminum Foil Tray works perfect! I tried it over the weekend”. I hope that helps.

• Kris
    December 28, 2020

Made this and first night was great, second was fantastic, but the third was unbelievable (and we finished it) Not many cakes have this longevity. Thanks!

December 29, 2020

Wow, that is awesome! Thank you so much for your great review.

• Vandy
    December 25, 2020

This recipe is perfect. Thanks for the step by step flawless instructions. I adapted the recipe to make a chai spiced version and it came out perfect!

December 26, 2020

You are very welcome, Vandy. Glad to know that it came out perfect!

• Jade
    December 24, 2020

I’m in the process of preparing this cake, but only plan on serving tomorrow. Should I made the whipped cream tomorrow?

December 24, 2020

Hi Jade, you can fully assemble and make a tres leches cake 1 to 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Add fresh berries just before serving, especially if berries are sliced.

• Alina
    December 23, 2020

Hi! I made the cake but it turns out my glass pan was not tall enough. It’s all the way up to the edges! How do I fit the frosting? Should I take it out?

Thank you! Cake is amazing but I need help ASAP.

December 23, 2020

Hi Alina, I have taken it out in the past and put it onto a rimmed platter and ended up frosting the top and sides and it still worked great so that is an option for sure.

• Swati
    December 23, 2020

I never comment on any blog or vblog. But I had to, for this one. Tried this for my son’s birthday and it turned out so very delicious. Never made such a moist cake before. It’s just perfect!!

December 23, 2020

Awww, that’s the best! Thank you so much for sharing that with me. & Happy Birthday to your son!

• Michael
    December 22, 2020

Hi Natasha, I am hoping to make this for Christmas. I have some left over cake flour from a previous recipe. Is it fine to use that instead of all purpose flour?

December 22, 2020

Hi Michael! I haven’t tried this with cake flour only because cake flour produces a finer crumb and this cake gets pretty heavy with all of the soaking syrup.

• Dee
    December 21, 2020

Hi Natasha! I want to make this cake tomorrow morning for a birthday. How long should I allow the cake to cool before adding the milk mixture?

December 21, 2020

Hi Dee, yes you should cool the cake to room temperature before applying the milk mixture.

• April
    December 19, 2020

Hi Natasha! If I divide the batter into 2 smaller casseroles, how long should I bake it for?

December 21, 2020

Hi April, It’s hard to guess without testing that through myself, but I would probably bake for the same amount of time if the two smaller dishes make up about the same size as the 9×13 and they will be the same height of the cake.

• Nisha
    December 19, 2020

A quest question, i baked the cake and kept out to cool down and it turned sticky when i was poking the cake with fork.
    Can you tel me how this happened?
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Nisha

December 19, 2020

Hi Nisha, Are you making sure to measure your dry ingredients properly? I hope that helps!

• Sharda
        January 17, 2021

I had the same problem as this person I used exact measurements and followed the video step by step. When I sticked the fork in the cake, it was sticky and coming off. I felt the cake was a tad bit dense too. I wonder why this happened. I was very careful with my measurements

January 17, 2021

Hi Sharda, It is difficult to guess without being there. I would suggest watching the video to see where things started to look different in your process.

• Julia
    December 17, 2020

Hi Natasha! Quick question – can the cake be made a day ahead (baked/drizzled with milk) and be left in the refrigerator tightly covered? And then a day later be topped with cream/berries before serving? Or is it best to keep it refrigerated after it has been topped with cream? Thank you!!

December 18, 2020

Hi Julia, you can fully assemble and make a tres leches cake 1 to 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Add fresh berries just before serving, especially if berries are sliced.

• k a
    December 15, 2020

tried this recipe – so simple and fairly quick! i loved ittt!

December 15, 2020

Thank you so much! I hope you’ll love every recipe that you will try from my website.

• Claudita
    December 14, 2020

Hello Natasha! This recipe is a winner, the way I grew up eating it in Latin America ;)! For a little variation, in my family, we like to add to the syrup mix, another 3/4 to 1 full cup of whole milk (make it 4 leches!), but this one, I bring to a simmer/boil along with a stick of cinnamon. Turn it off right away, let it cool to room temp, then refrigerate. Remove the stick and add to the rest of the milk syrup mix. It gives a delicious hint of cinnamon, along with the vanilla. Yum!

December 14, 2020

Thank you so much for sharing that with me, Claudita! I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe!

• Jason
    December 13, 2020

Love it! Both my 2 and 5 year old asked for it for their birthdays this year!

December 14, 2020

Wow, they both have good taste! This is an awesome cake and one of our favorites too. Thanks for sharing that with us.

• Madhuparna
    December 13, 2020

I want to make this cake for my friend’s birthday but I was wondering you didn’t use the butter for making the sponge.Without any butter or oil can I make the sponge??Thanks in advance.

December 13, 2020

Hello there, we’ve made this recipe a lot of times using the same process and ingredients and it always worked great!

• andrea salazar
    December 12, 2020

Love it! it was my first time cooking it. Delicious! It was the perfect desert for thanksgiving dinner.

December 13, 2020

Thank you, Andrea. I’m glad you enjoyed this cake!

• Namita
    December 12, 2020

Hi Natasha, just made this cake and it’s delicious. I had medium eggs so added 6 medium eggs. Made it in a 9×13 non stick baking pan at 325 degrees for 28 mins. It’s turned about perfectly spongy and moist. Will definitely make again and again and…..

December 12, 2020

Hi Namita! That’s so great! It sounds like you have a new favorite!

• Gerri
    December 10, 2020

Tried this recipe and it was awesome! Thank you for sharing your recipes Natasha! You are a blessing, you are a gem =) God bless!

December 11, 2020

You are so welcome, glad you enjoyed this recipe!

• Denise H
    December 10, 2020

Based on the 5 star rating from so many, I took a chance and made this for the first time. I took it to a Mexican night dinner party (probably be it the best time to try a new recipe). It was a success, with half of the group having seconds! I think I will use a little less of the whipped cream frosting next time. A definite keeper!

December 11, 2020

Yay, love it! Thanks for sharing that with us, Denise. That makes me so happy.

• Chef Giovanni
    December 10, 2020

Must say the best recipe I have used. I multiplied by 4 and still got an awesome, soft, moist cake with a great crumb.

December 11, 2020

I am so happy to ready your great comments and feedback!

• Avril
    December 7, 2020

Hi! I was planning on making this cake over the holidays – is there any measurement changes or adjustments to be made when using a circular pan instead of a casserole dish? Thanks!

December 8, 2020

Hi Avril, I haven’t tried making this cake using a circular pan to advise of the measurements. You can use the same measurements if the size of the pan is almost the same?

• Karen B
    December 7, 2020

I am making this for someone’s birthday. I’m nervous about the whipped cream frosting not holding up. The cake will be picked up the night before or the morning of the party. Will this be okay?

December 7, 2020

It should still be fine for up to 2 days. Make sure to keep it covered and refrigerated.

• Tehsin
    December 6, 2020

This cake has quickly become a go to favourite in my family!! So easy to make and absolutely delicious.

I would love to try turning this into cupcakes – how would you recommend doing that?

December 7, 2020

That is so awesome! I haven’t tried turning this into cupcakes to advise of the measurements. You might need to do an experiment on that one. Please share with us how it goes if you try it!

• Eduardo A Sanchez
    December 6, 2020

Tres Leches is the result of the Germanic migrations to NICARAGUA in the 1850s. More focalized, it comes from the Swiss-Nicaraguans in Jinotega Province of Northern Nicaraguan.
    No one from Mexico had ever tasted it before 2000 and that was due to the Nicaraguan refugees that had arrived in FLORIDA in 1980.

“ Between 1979 and 1990, the violence of the Nicaraguan Revolution, coupled with an earthquake, forever changed both Nicaragua and Miami. Tens of thousands of Nicaraguans fled the country to Miami, a growing metropolis where Latin Americans thrived, forged in large part by the Cuban community. Much of the population settled in the suburb communities of Sweetwater and Kendall.

Today, Sweetwater is known as Little Managua, which is also where the famous Los Ranchos opened in a small stripmall in 1981. Since then, they’ve expanded to three additional locations. Tres leches cake was added to the menu and thus reintroduced to the Nicaraguan community as well as formally introduced to Miamians.”

December 6, 2020

Nice to know, thanks for sharing!

• Holly
    December 6, 2020

Best recipe I have made!

December 6, 2020

So fantastic! Thank you so much, Holly.

• Paula
    December 6, 2020

This is fantastic recipe for tres leche cake. I’ve made it numerous times and it’s been a hit each and every time. Lately I’ve used 1 3/4 cups of sifted Swan Cake Flour and 2 tsp of baking powder and find the cake is a bit taller and slightly denser in a 9×13. Life is good, eat the cake! Thank you Natasha!

December 6, 2020

Yes so true! I’m so glad that you enjoyed this cake, it is so good and also one of our favorites, Paula.

• Amanda P
    December 4, 2020

Yum! This is a fantastic recipe. If I wanted to make this in an 8×8 would you recommend 1/2 or 2/3 of the recipe?

December 4, 2020

Thank you for sharing that with me, Amanda! I’m so glad you enjoy this recipe!

• Joan A Hresil
    December 2, 2020

The best cake I have ever had. Passed some out to neighbors and family and they all loved it. I made it 4 times already

December 2, 2020

That is so nice of you, Joan. Thanks for your great feedback and I hope that you will love all the recipes that you will try!

• Candace Gravelle
    November 29, 2020

So I’ve made this cake twice and i get a beautiful bake, however both times it completely collapses as it cools. Any suggestions? Thanks!

November 30, 2020

Hi Candace, some tips, it’s best not to open the oven when cooking this cake – the heat escaping quickly can cause the cake to sink in the center. Also, try mixing another couple of minutes – if you are using a hand mixer or anything other than the highest speed, the cake won’t rise properly since it relies on the volume of eggs and sugar to rise. Also, are you making sure to measure your dry ingredients properly? I hope that helps!

• Nuritza
    November 24, 2020

hello wanted to know why my cake came out so skinny lol

November 24, 2020

Hi Nuritza, it could be due to either leavening that is not active or expired, or it could be due to under beating the eggs. I suggest watching the video tutorial to see where things started to look different.

• Sharon
    November 20, 2020

Should there be any adjustments made for high altitude?

• Kristy
    November 19, 2020

I’ve baked this recipe two times already and it’s always a hit!

Since I’m planning to give this as a birthday gift, will it be okay to cook this using an aluminum foil pan?

November 19, 2020

That’s just awesome, Kristy! I have not tried it in aluminum, but I imagine that may work; if you experiment, please let me know how you like that!

• Nicole
      November 25, 2020

I usually use an aluminum foil pan because I don’t have a big enough baking pan. I’ve never had difficulties with it.

• Fariha Patel
      December 9, 2020

Aluminum Foil Tray works perfect! I tried it over the weekend 🙂

• Natalie
    November 18, 2020

Can you freeze the sponge cake part before milking it? Like if your making it ahead.

November 18, 2020

Hi Natalie, I haven’t tested that, but I imagine freezing it would work!

• Amani
    November 18, 2020

Hello Natasha. Thank you for your great delicious recipes. Can you please prepare a Buche de Noel aux marrons (Yule log with chestnuts). Thank you

November 18, 2020

You’re most welcome, Amani. Thank you for your suggestion, I’ll make a note of that.

• Tanya Beaumont
    November 16, 2020

Hi Natasha, My Best friends daughter, who I love to death is turning 21 on Thursday. Have you got an amazing gluten free dessert/cake recipe I can use.
    I would really appreciate your help. (I have cooked many of you’re recipes and have had lots of success)
    Many Thanks in Advance
    Tarnya (Perth, Australia)

November 17, 2020

Hello Tanya, have you already tried my Almond Cake Recipe? This gluten-free and so delicious.

• Jess
    November 15, 2020

Hi Natasha, this recipe looks amazing. I was wondering if I could use a regular cake pan instead of a casserole dish?

November 15, 2020

Hi Jess, that should work too. Please let us know how it goes if you try this recipe.

• Moonika
    November 14, 2020

That was my first tres leches. Came out sooo good, my husband’s favorite. Will make it again.

November 14, 2020

I’m so happy you enjoyed it Moonika! Thank you for that wonderful review!

• Marian Griebenow
    November 14, 2020

Hi Natasha, Going to make your Tres Leche cake. Recently had it at a Mexican restaurant. It was served with milk surrounding it. Could I make extra syrup and service it this way? Haven’t made a recipe of yours yet that we haven’t loved

November 14, 2020

Hi Marian, I haven’t tested that, but I imagine that should work! I would love to know how you like that if you experiment!

• Maria G.
    November 12, 2020

I forgot to give 5 stars on previous review

November 12, 2020

• Maria G.
    November 12, 2020

Delicious!!
    I doubled the recipe and fed 12 people. I definitely will make again. My goto recipe for tres leches. Thank you for posting!!

November 12, 2020

Wow, awesome! Thanks for trying out this recipe, I’m glad you loved this!

• Supuni Gunasekara
    November 9, 2020

Hi Nathasha,
    I made this and it tasted amazing but even though the top part of the cake was moist, the bottom part was dense and eggy. Any reason you can think of for that to happen? maybe I haven’t mixed well?

November 9, 2020

Hi Supuni, I highly recommend watching the video to see where your batter started to look different or if your technique was different. It is most likely due to undermixing since the cake also relies on the volume of the eggs to rise.

• Maddy
    November 8, 2020

It was perfect!

November 9, 2020

Thank you, Maddy!

• Sandy Freeman
    November 5, 2020

OMG! So easy and so delicious!!!! I made this to take to a spanish themed dinner and it was a hit! I will totally make this again!

November 5, 2020

Isn’t it the best! I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe!

• Hanna
    November 4, 2020

Hi! 🙂 I tried this recipe and it was so good!

I just want to ask, instead of baking it on a cake pan. can I use this recipe for cupcake? Please let me know. Thank you!

November 5, 2020

Hello Hanna, thanks for your good feedback. I have not really tried using this recipe to make cupcakes to advise. If you do an experiment, please share with us how it goes!

• Khadija
    November 4, 2020

I have made this cake yesterday and it turned out to be really really yummy, but only thing was that i used 9×14 dish and from the middle my cake was still runny even after baking it for 40mins. Could you please tell me what was the reason behind it?
    Thanks

November 4, 2020

Hi Khadija, this cake should not be runny after baking. I few things come to mind, I would check to make sure your oven is calibrated, and you’re using a regular bake oven. Also, was anything altered in the recipe?

• Sonia
    November 1, 2020

The Tres leches cake was amazing. The berries make even better.

November 1, 2020

Thank you, Sonia! I’m glad you loved it!

• Iva
    October 31, 2020

Love your recipe, very preside and easy to make. The cake is so delicious 😋

October 31, 2020

That’s just awesome! Thank you for your kind review! I’m glad you enjoeyd this cake!

• Ann
    October 29, 2020

Hi! I plan on making this but completely forgot to buy heavy cream and only have a 200ml pack left Is there any other frosting that would work with this or would 200ml be enough? Thanks in advance!

October 29, 2020

Hi Ann, I haven’t tried a substitution but one of our readers mentioned using cool whip. I haven’t tried this with cool whip to be honest. I suspect it would work but the flavor of the cream would be different.

• Jane
    October 27, 2020

Hi Natasha! I really want to try this recipe for my daughter’s 1st birthday. But, I only have 10.5 x 7.5 dish, would it be work too?

October 27, 2020

Hi Jane, that may still work, it will be a slightly taller cake and may require longer bake time.

• rafia
    October 26, 2020

hey, What if we want to send this cake to someone, do we bake it in a regular cake pan and flip it? but taking out the sponge is a little risky or might even break. please suggest. The recipe is amazing. iv made it soo many times. Also wanted to ask that this recipe yields almost 3 pounds cake?

October 27, 2020

Hi Rafia, I haven’t tried flipping it for the risk of breaking. We serve it right in the pan. If you need to flip it out I would line the pan first and make sure to not pour the milk until it is in the serving pan.

• Jaz
    October 23, 2020

Hi Natasha! i’ve done this recipe sooo many times and love it!

Last night I made it again but forgot to add the 1/3 cup of milk and vanilla in step 3. What difference will it make?

October 23, 2020

Hi Jaz, it’s difficult to say but I imagine it would make the batter pretty thick and low in flavor without those two.

• Violy
        December 31, 2020

If I don’t have 1/3 cup milk and use half n half instead what would be the difference? Or will there be no difference since
        Half n half is part milk?

December 31, 2020

Hi Violy, that may work. It will make it slightly more creamy.

• Dave
    October 21, 2020

Yes, this recipe is the greatest. I made one for a work lunch, (or perhaps I should made the mistake of making one for a work lunch.) Now I’ve got everyone asking me to make them the cake for their personal events. Did one last Saturday with a Halloween theme, (orange topping w/Halloween decorations.) Will be doing another this Friday for another work lunch, going to try the Pina Colada that I was asking about. I will be sure to let you know how it comes out and what changes I make to your fantastic recipe.

October 21, 2020

The Halloween themed tres leches cake sounds awesome! I would love to see that, if you get the chance you can share it on our Facebook group or page. I hope you love all the recipes that you will try, Dave!