Green Smoothie Bowl Recipe
A healthy Green Smoothie Bowl packed with mango, pineapple, avocado and spinach. These smoothie bowls are naturally sweet, energizing, rich in antioxidants and fiber. Learn the secrets to blending a thick and irresistible smoothie bowl.
I love the concept of smoothie bowls. They are so pretty and impressive yet easy (think Mother’s Day Breakfast!). Blended smoothie bowls are the fancy way to serve a thick, nutrient dense smoothie as a refreshing summer soup, dessert, snack or breakfast since it is topped with homemade granola, seeds, chia and berries. It is an amazing way to start your day.
We recently visited a new smoothie place that serves “healthy” smoothie bowls and it was so bad… The blended fruit on the bottom was nice but they had an equally thick layer of gooey, painfully sweet granola over the top and then drizzled it with another 1-2 Tbsp of honey. I ended up scraping off all of the granola into a big heap and tossing it. It would have put me into a sugar coma. I came to find out the 24 oz bowl I ordered had 97 grams or 24 teaspoons of sugar!! Also that sugar coma was $10 a bowl but you could make 2 better bowls at home for that price.
BUT WHY?! Why would you take a healthy smoothie bowl and turn it into such a mess – probably worse than the frozen yogurt we ordered for the kids. I knew I could do it better and sure enough, these green smoothie bowls were born! With this smoothie bowl recipe, you can have it all; the feel good energy from something healthy, and satisfying your sweet tooth without the processed sugar.
Make Ahead Smoothie Bowl Option:
Since most of these ingredients should be frozen (banana, pineapple, mango) – you can absolutely prep these out into freezer bags in advance and your smoothies will take just minutes to make! Also the homemade granola can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature for at least 2 weeks.
Tips on How to Blend Smoothie Bowls:
- Add the ingredients in the order listed
- You will need a high powered blender (we use this blendtec)
- You want smoothie bowls to be THICK in consistency so you can eat it with a spoon and your toppings don’t sink to the bottom.
- Add half the liquid in the recipe and start on low speed, scraping down the bowl with a spatula as needed and adding more liquid if it gets stuck. Once thick and creamy, set the mixer to high speed until it reaches a sorbet-like consistency.
- With the Blendtec blender: start on low speed then select the ice cream button.
Now you know how to make a smoothie bowl that is better than what’s on the menu in smoothie shops. Everything about this smoothie bowl is good; gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, vegan and paleo!
More Smoothie Recipes to Discover:
- Green Smoothie Recipe – this green power smoothie is love at first sip
- Blueberry Pear Smoothie – packed with protein for long lasting energy
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie – Just 4 ingredients and so tasty
- Blueberry Mango Smoothie – provides energy without the guilt
- See our 10 most popular smoothie recipes here
Smoothie Bowl Recipe (print-friendly):
Green Smoothie Bowl Recipe
Smoothie Bowl Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup coconut milk or almond milk (use 1/2 to 1 cup to reach desired thickness)
- 2 cups green spinach
- 1/2 avocado (ripe)
- 2 Tbsp flax seeds
- 1 ripe banana peeled, sliced and frozen
- 1 cups pineapple peeled, sliced and frozen
- 1/2 ripe mango peeled, chopped and frozen
Smoothie Bowl Topping Options
- 1/2 cup homemade granola divided*
- 1 Tbsp Toasted Coconut or pumpkin seeds divided, optional
- 2 tsp chia seeds divided
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries blueberries and or raspberries
Add the ingredients in the order listed to a high powered blender, and adding only 1/2 cup liquid to start.
Start on low speed, scraping down the bowl as needed and adding more liquid if it gets stuck. Once thick and creamy, set the mixer to high speed until it reaches sorbet-like consistency.
Divide smoothie mixture between 2 bowls and garnish with smoothie bowl topping options (granola, chia seeds, fresh berries, etc).
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
Create a smoothie bowl for someone you love and it will make their day! My children loved this also. There’s something fun about eating a smoothie with a spoon 😉
QUESTION: Have you discovered smoothie bowls? Do you have a favorite variety? We are always looking for new ideas and I would love to hear from you in a comment below.