Home > Sides > Oven Baked Potato Wedges (VIDEO)

Oven Baked Potato Wedges (VIDEO)

These seasoned Parmesan potato wedges are quick and easy to make and come out perfect every time. They are great as a side, appetizer, or even as a delicious snack on their own.

These would make the perfect combo with our Perfect Burger. Make these for your next game day party, and you will have a happy crowd. Watch the easy video tutorial below.

Oven-Baked Potato Wedges with seasoning and Parmesan cheese with ketchup

The Secret to Crispy Potato Wedges:

You’ll love this tip for extra crispy baked potato wedges. These have a crisp and golden skin on the outside and are perfectly tender inside. Have you ever given your potatoes an ice bath? By letting them soak in cold water with 2 cups of ice for 30 minutes, it draws out the starch, making the finished product extra crispy.

If you’re really short on time you can skip this step, but they might not be a little softer than you were hoping for. Another thing to help them come out crispy is making sure the wedges are laid out in an even, single layer on your baking dish. This is super important!

Ingredients for Potato Wedges:

These potato wedges require simple but delicious ingredients: olive oil, some dried spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika), fresh parsley, and parmesan cheese. You probably have most of them in your pantry or fridge already.

Ingredients: sea salt, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper

The Best Potatoes for Potato Wedges:

We love the size, shape, and texture of Russet Potatoes best. Another great thing about Russets is how cheap they are! Some other potatoes that you can use instead of Russets are Red or Yukon Gold.

If you use Red Potatoes, you can probably skip the ice bath. They are considered a waxy potato and not starchy so it won’t draw out much starch in the ice bath. The Yukon Gold could still use that soak though. They are an equal mix between starchy and waxy, so it’ll still help to draw out some starch to help with the crispiness of the potatoes.

How to Make Baked Potato Wedges:

1. Cut potatoes into wedges by cutting lengthwise in half then slice each half into 3-4 slices depending on potato size.
  2. Place potatoes in a bowl of cold water with about 2 cups of ice cubes. Let them stand for 30 min then pat dry thoroughly with paper towels.
  3. Place seasonings into a large zip-lock bag or a mixing bowl. Add potatoes and shake them together. Next, add 1/4 cup of olive oil to the bag and toss until coated.
  4. Line baking sheet with foil. Arrange wedges in a single layer and bake at 450˚F for 30-35 min until the potatoes are cooked through, browned and crispy.
  5. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 2 Tbsp fresh parsley and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Toss together with freshly baked potato wedges and serve.

How to make baked potato wedges in a zip-lock bag with oil, with cheese and parsley in bowl, potatoes lined on a baking sheet, and being tossed in a bowl with the parsley and cheese.

How to Keep Fries from Sticking?

This simple tip will keep your baked potato wedges from getting stuck to the baking sheet: by simply lining your baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil, you won’t have them stick at all.

We also wait to add our cheese until they are fully baked. If you coat them fresh out of the oven, the cheese melts perfectly. Another plus to doing this is the time you will save NOT doing dishes. We all know how awful scrubbing burnt pans are.

Baked potato wedges with parmesan and parsley served with ketchup

Need Some Dipping Sauce Ideas?

Although these Potato Wedges are a hit on their own, having some fun dips can take them to a whole new level. These are our favorite dipping sauces for potato wedges. If you’re short on time or not up to making a fresh dip, some other great dipping sauces to have would be ketchup, ranch, or BBQ sauce.

Oven-Baked Potato Wedges on a table with ketchup and a hamburger.

More Game Day Appetizers:

If you’re looking for crowd-pleasing party appetizers that are finger-licking good, you’ll love these:

Watch the Potato Wedges Video Tutorial:

I hope this Oven-Baked Potato Wedges recipe becomes a new favorite salad for you. If you enjoyed this video, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel and be sure to click the bell icon so you can be the first to know when we post a new video.

Oven Baked Potato Wedges

Oven-Baked Potato Wedges on brown paper with ketchup

These oven baked potato wedges are easy and delicious every time. The cheese melts onto the potato wedges and they are so good!

Author: Natasha of NatashasKitchen.com
Keyword: baked potato wedges
Course: Lunch, Side Dish
Servings: 4 persons

1. Preheat oven to 450˚F. Place potatoes in a bowl of water with about 2 cups of ice cubes. Let them stand for 30 min then drain weel and thoroughly pat dry with paper towels.

2. Place 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, and 1/4 tsp black pepper into a large zip-lock bag. Add potatoes and shake them together. Next, add 1/4 cup of olive oil to the bag and toss until potatoes are coated.

3. Line baking sheet with foil. Place potatoes on the lined sheet and bake at 450˚F for 30-35 min until the potatoes are cooked through, browned and crispy.
  4. While potatoes are baking, chop 2 Tbsp fresh parsley and grate 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and place both into a large mixing bowl. Toss freshly baked potato wedges in the mixing bowl with parsley and cheese.

Oven Baked Potato Wedges

This recipe was first published in 2009. We updated the post in Jan 2020 with more tips on how to make the best crisp baked potato wedges. Here is the original recipe photo:

Oven-Baked Potato Wedges with Parmesan cheese in a dish on a table with ketchup.

These oven baked potato wedges are crisp, easy and delicious every time. So good!! @natashaskitchen

• David
    July 28, 2020

for making and trying all the delicious looking recipes you sure look like you manage your weight quite well

July 28, 2020

Thank you for that compliment! I’m glad you’re enjoying our recipes!

• Kathy Bush
    June 21, 2020

Your nutritional info does not give portion size which makes it useless

June 22, 2020

Hi Kathy, we have the number of servings towards the top of the recipe card and the nutrition label is to give you an estimate per serving.

• AREFEH VASEFI
    June 5, 2020

the best, kind of guilt free, easy to make, delish, and ……………….
    thx

June 5, 2020

You’re welcome! I’m glad you enjoyed that.

• Katie
    June 3, 2020

Hi Natasha, can I substitute this with sweet potatoes? I’m wondering if it would still taste good with using same method of baking and using same spices.. thank you

June 3, 2020

Hi Katie, I think it could work for sweet potatoes but the bake time might be different. It may cook a little faster If you test it out, let me know how it goes!

• Sharon Beverly
    May 30, 2020

Natasha, I want to make these for an Out-of-the-Cold carry out dinner for needy folks and expect to serve around 75 people. Two questions: 1) Should I plan on about 1 medium/large potato per person, and 2) I will be using t large commercial ovens to bake them, Do you think that will work if I use oversized baking sheets?

June 1, 2020

Hi Sharon, that sounds about right for portions and large baking sheets will be fine, just make sure not to overcrowd the pans so they can get crispy.

• Sharon Beverly
        June 1, 2020

Thanks so much, Natasha. I’ll let you know how they turn out, but with parsley and parmesan cheese, how could it go wrong! LOL

• Sharon Beverly
          June 10, 2020

The potato wedges turned out perfectly and were a big hit. We lined the pans with heavy duty foil and clean up was a snap. The biggest challenge was to keep the other helpers from “taste-testing” them! I sent several people to your website for the recipe.

June 10, 2020

That is awesome. Thank you for your recommendation, Sharon. We appreciate it and we are so glad that you loved the wedges!

• cindy B
    May 25, 2020

the potato wedges look delicious. i want to try them. do you think i could cook them in our air fryer rather than an oven?

May 25, 2020

Hi Cindy, I haven’t tested that in an air-fryer to advise but someone else commented that they used an air fryer and it was great! If you experiment I would love to know how you liked that.

• G
    April 12, 2020

If preparing these to give to someone else (so they’ll be traveling) is it best to fully cook then package or send all ingredients post-ice bath and have recipient cook it themselves?

April 12, 2020

Hi G, I would fully cook otherwise the potatoes may brown being out of water for a while.

• Marilyn
    April 2, 2020

Hi: Love the Potato Wedges they are wonderful, everyone loved them. Thank you for all of your special recipe’s.

Marilyn

April 2, 2020

• Katherine C Hall
    April 1, 2020

Natasha, I love your recipes and videos. So many good easy choices. Thank you so much!

Katherine

April 1, 2020

Thank for that wonderful compliment and comment! You’re so nice!

• Teresa
    March 31, 2020

How long and at what temperature would you do the potato wedges in an air fryer?

March 31, 2020

Hi Teresa, I haven’t tested that in an air-fryer to advise. If you experiment I would love to know how you liked that.

• Teresa Stevens
        March 31, 2020

I tried it tonight in my Cuisinart air fryer. I did 400 degrees for 20 minutes. They were delicious. The family loved them. Thanks for all of your recipes.

March 31, 2020

Thank you so much for sharing that with us! I’m so glad you gave it a go! I need to try it too!

• Jerry
    March 28, 2020

We have been making very similar dish with gold potatoes but without the spices (except salt/pepper) and using duck fat instead of the olive oil. It is worth the fuss to get and use duck fat.

March 28, 2020

Thank you for that great review, Jerry! I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe.

• Sarah M.
    March 27, 2020

Absolutely delicious and super easy to make. I’ve never heard my husband say “I love you” so many times while eating fries lol. Hilarious. Thank you for another fabulous recipe, Natasha.

March 28, 2020

Awww that’s the best! Thank you so much for sharing that with me! I’m all smiles!

• Carl John
    February 11, 2020

Love your website. Made your potato wedges, it came out great. It was very tasty too.

February 11, 2020

Thank you for your good feedback, Carl. I am glad to hear that it was a success!

• Kathy
    January 30, 2020

I need a dill dip recipe please.

January 30, 2020

Hi Kathy. Have you already seen my Spinach Artichoke Dip Recipe? I’ll try to do a dill dip recipe and add this to my list

• Ruth
    January 27, 2020

I would like to try these but I really do not like the taste of olive oil. It is in so many recipes. Do you have a suggestion for an alternative?

January 27, 2020

Hi Ruth, I think the olive oil works better because it makes them crispier (since it has a lower smoke point, it makes the potatoes crisp up a little better), but yes the canola oil would work. One reader shared they used grape seed oil and loved it.

• Rachael Yerkes
    January 21, 2020

yum! these are fantastic!

January 21, 2020

I’m so glad you enjoyed that, Rachael!

• Matt Taylor
    January 21, 2020

I love potato wedges! This recipe looks amazing. I will have to try it sometime. Thanks!

January 21, 2020

You’re welcome, Matt! I hope you love this recipe.

• Lisalia
    January 21, 2020

Oh these are so good my kids really don’t like fast food fries anymore! YAY for Natasha getting us to love real food again!

January 21, 2020

That is the best when kids love what we moms make. That’s so great!

• Aimee Shugarman
    January 21, 2020

These turned out so crispy and perfect. LOVE the flavor!

January 21, 2020

That’s just awesome!! Thank you for sharing your wonderful review, Aimee!

• Felita Carrasco
    December 31, 2019

Hi, I’m making the parmesan potato wedges, but wondering why the ice bath? They look delicious and cant wait ti try them when done.

December 31, 2019

Hi Felita, ice water pulls some of the starch out and makes potatoes more crisp when done. They will still taste good without ice bath if you are short on time.

• rohit aggarwal
    December 31, 2019

thank you for giving me wonderful information

December 31, 2019

I hope you enjoy this recipe.

• Pat
    December 15, 2019

I have made them twice and they are so easy and really delicious!! Can’t wait to have them again!! Thank you for the recipe!

December 16, 2019

You’re welcome! I’m so happy you enjoyed it, Pat!