Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe (VIDEO)
Broccoli Cheese Soup served in bread bowls is the ultimate comfort food. This creamy soup is loaded with fresh broccoli, is low carb and healthier than most with just 1/2 cup of cream. Watch the easy video tutorial below and enjoy this copycat version of Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Homemade Broccoli Cheese Soup:
Broccoli and Cheese soup is essentially a cream of broccoli soup with cheese. We use 2 types of cheese; sharp cheddar and shredded parmesan. For years, we have been working on developing a broccoli cheese soup that we loved and the key was in combining the two kinds of cheese for balanced and rich flavor. You can serve this in a bread bowl (instructions below) or in a soup bowl with dinner rolls.
How to make Broccoli and Cheese Soup:
- In a dutch oven melt butter and sautee onion and carrots until soft (5 min).
- Add chicken broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil then add broccoli and simmer partially covered until broccoli is tender (10-12 min).
- Remove and set aside 2 cups of veggies. Blend remaining soup until creamy using an immersion blender or in batches with a blender.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup cream and 3 Tbsp flour until smooth then blend in 1 tsp dijon. Bring soup back to a boil and whisk in the cream/flour mixture, whisking 3-4 minutes until smooth and thickened.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in the cheeses then add reserved cooked veggies. Season to taste and serve.
How to Make Bread Bowls:
You can recreate the famous Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup by serving it in a toasted bread bowl. It’s such a fun way to serve it and feels like dining out. When the bread is toasted, it crisps up on the outside and tastes like a fresh loaf out of a bakery – delicious! It’s also really easy to make a homemade bread bowl.
- Bread Bowls: You will need 6 to 7″ diameter sourdough round loaves also known as boules. Using a serrated knife, cut off the tops and scoop out the centers with a spoon to make room for the soup.
- Place on a baking sheet then broil on high heat on the center rack of the oven for 2-3 minutes or until the tops are golden brown then remove from oven. Keep a close eye on your bread since it can burn quickly.
Watch the Video Tutorial:
I hope this Broccoli Cheese Soup becomes a new favorite restaurant copycat recipe for you. If you enjoyed this video, please subscribe to our Youtube Channel and don’t forget to click the bell icon so you get a notification when we post a new video. P.S. Here is the kitchen tour I mentioned in the video.
- Why is my soup grainy? Cook Soup until the veggies are tender and it will blend easier. If you want a completely smooth soup, be sure to blend until desired consistency with an immersion blender or a high powered blender.
- What goes well with broccoli cheese soup? We love serving this inside sourdough bread bowls, but you can serve it in a regular bowl with Dinner Rolls or a slice of French Bread.
- Can I make this vegetarian? For a vegetarian soup, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Can I make this Gluten-Free? Substitute all-purpose flour for a 1:1 gluten-free flour to make this a GF soup.
- Is this soup healthy? Since we blend most of the veggies into the soup, it naturally starts with a creamy base and only needs 1/2 cup of cream to finish it off. This homemade version is healthier than most of the recipes I have seen and is fairly low carb. Check out the nutrition label below the recipe card for calories.
- Can I use frozen broccoli? You can use frozen broccoli. Add frozen florets to the recipe just like you would fresh and cook to desired doneness.
- Can I use the broccoli stems? You can use the broccoli stems, but make sure to peel the stems first since they can be tough and fibrous then dice the tender broccoli stems and add them with the broccoli florets.
More Creamy Soup Recipes:
We love soups and particularly creamy soups. These are crowd-pleasing family favorites that we make on the regular rotation. Check out all of our Soup Recipes Here.
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Loaded Potato Soup
- Clam Chowder
- Silky Smooth Carrot Soup
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Corn Chowder
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup served in bread bowls is the ultimate comfort food. This creamy soup is loaded with fresh broccoli and has just 1/2 cup of cream. Enjoy our version of Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup!
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup onion finely diced (from 1 medium onion)
- 2 cups carrots (3 medium), sliced into thin rings
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups broccoli (2 heads of broccoli), cut into small florets
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups shredded), plus more to garnish
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese (mild) shredded
Prep all of your ingredients before you start cooking. In a dutch oven or medium soup pot, melt 2 Tbsp butter. Add onion and carrots and saute until onions soften (5 minutes).
Add 4 cups chicken broth, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 tsp thyme. Bring to a boil then add broccoli and reduce to a simmer, partially cover, and cook until broccoli is softened (10-12 minutes depending on the thickness of broccoli).
In a separate small bowl, combine 1/2 cup cream with 3 Tbsp flour and whisk vigorously until smooth and no longer lumpy then blend in 1 tsp dijon. The mixture will be thick like frosting. Bring the blended soup back to a boil and whisk in the cream/flour mixture, whisking for 3 to 4 minutes until smooth and thickened.
Remove the soup from the heat. Stir in the cheeses then stir in the reserved cooked vegetables. Season with salt to taste and serve right away. Garnish with more cheddar if desired.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen