Broccoli Cheese Soup in Bread Bowls (VIDEO)
Broccoli Cheese Soup is creamy and loaded with broccoli and a blend of 2 kinds of cheese to give this amazing flavor. Serving broccoli soup in bread bowls is a real treat.
Watch the easy video tutorial below and enjoy this homemade version of Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Broccoli Cheese Soup Video Tutorial:
We love to re-create famous restaurant soups at home like our Zuppa Toscana and Chicken Wild Rice Soup. This homemade version is even better because it’s loaded with fresh broccoli, is low carb, and healthier than most with just 1/2 cup of cream.
I hope this Broccoli Cheese Soup becomes a new favorite soup recipe for you. P.S. Here is the kitchen tour I mentioned in the video.
What is Broccoli Cheese Soup?
Broccoli and cheese soup is essentially a blended cream of broccoli soup with cheese. We use 2 types of cheese; sharp cheddar and shredded parmesan. For years, we have been working on developing a broccoli cheese soup that we loved and the key was in combining the two kinds of cheese for balanced and rich flavor.
How to make Broccoli and Cheese Soup:
- In a dutch oven melt butter and sautee onion and carrots until soft.
- Add chicken broth and seasonings. Add broccoli and simmer partially covered until broccoli is tender.
- Remove and set aside 2 cups of veggies. Blend the remaining soup until creamy using an immersion blender or in a blender.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together cream and flour until smooth then add 1 tsp dijon. Bring soup to a boil and whisk in the cream/flour/dijon mixture, whisking until smooth and thickened.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in the cheeses then add reserved cooked veggies. Season to taste and serve.
How to Make Bread Bowls:
You can recreate the famous restaurant-style Broccoli Cheese Soup by serving it in a toasted bread bowl. It’s truly easy to make homemade bread bowls and feels like dining out. When the bread is toasted, it crisps up on the outside and tastes like a fresh loaf out of a bakery – delicious!
- What Kind of Bread for Bread Bowls? You will need 6 to 7″ diameter sourdough round loaves also known as boules. Using a serrated knife, cut off the tops and scoop out the centers with a spoon to make room for the soup.
- To Toast the Bread: Place on a baking sheet then broil on high heat on the center rack of the oven for 2-3 minutes or until the tops are golden brown then remove from oven. Keep a close eye on your bread since it can burn quickly.
Tips for the Best Broccoli Cheese Soup:
- Why is my soup grainy? Cook Soup until the veggies are tender and it will blend easier. If you want a completely smooth soup, be sure to blend until desired consistency with an immersion blender or a high powered blender.
- Can I make this vegetarian? For a vegetarian soup, use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Can I make this Gluten-Free? Substitute all-purpose flour for a 1:1 gluten-free flour to make this a GF soup.
- Is this soup healthy? Since we blend most of the veggies into the soup, it naturally starts with a creamy base and only needs 1/2 cup of cream to finish it off. This homemade version is healthier than most of the recipes I have seen and is fairly low carb. Check out the nutrition label below the recipe card for calories.
- Can I use frozen broccoli? You can use frozen broccoli. Add frozen florets to the recipe just like you would fresh and cook to desired doneness.
- Can I use the broccoli stems? You can use the broccoli stems, but make sure to peel the stems first since they can be tough and fibrous then dice the tender broccoli stems and add them with the broccoli florets.
What to Serve with Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
More Creamy Soup Recipes:
As soon as the weather starts cooling down, we start making cozy soups and particularly creamy soups. These are the soups make on our regular rotation.
- Loaded Potato Soup – all the comforts of a baked potato
- Clam Chowder – restaurant quality
- Silky Smooth Carrot Soup – a go-to winter soup
- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup – a twist on classic Chicken Soup
- Corn Chowder – creamy and comforting with fresh corn
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup served in bread bowls is the ultimate comfort food. This creamy soup is loaded with fresh broccoli and has just 1/2 cup of cream. Enjoy our version of Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup!
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup onion, finely diced (from 1 medium onion)
- 2 cups carrots, (3 medium), sliced into thin rings
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups broccoli, (2 heads of broccoli), cut into small florets
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, (2 cups shredded), plus more to garnish
- 2/3 cup parmesan cheese, (mild) shredded
Prep all of your ingredients before you start cooking. In a dutch oven or medium soup pot, melt 2 Tbsp butter. Add onion and carrots and saute until onions soften (5 minutes).
Add 4 cups chicken broth, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 tsp thyme. Bring to a boil then add broccoli and reduce to a simmer, partially cover, and cook until broccoli is softened (10-12 minutes depending on the thickness of broccoli).
In a separate small bowl, combine 1/2 cup cream with 3 Tbsp flour and whisk vigorously until smooth and no longer lumpy then blend in 1 tsp dijon. The mixture will be thick like frosting. Bring the blended soup back to a boil and whisk in the cream/flour mixture, whisking for 3 to 4 minutes until smooth and thickened.
Remove the soup from the heat. Stir in the cheeses then stir in the reserved cooked vegetables. Season with salt to taste and serve right away. Garnish with more cheddar if desired.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen