Cowboy Caviar Recipe (VIDEO)
This Cowboy Caviar is wonderfully fresh, healthy, simple, and loaded. It’s popular for good reason and we make this salsa all year long. It makes a big batch so it is an ideal potluck or party appetizer.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This cowboy caviar (a.k.a. Texas Caviar) always disappears fast! Annie, my classmate from nursing school, shared this cowboy caviar recipe with me years ago and it has become one of our all-time favorite party appetizers. It’s right up there with Spinach Artichoke Dip and Guacamole!
Cowboy Caviar Video Tutorial:
Watch the video tutorial and see just how easy it is to make this bean salsa. If you enjoy our videos, please subscribe to our youtube channel and click the bell icon so you will be the first to know when we post a new video!
What is Cowboy Caviar (a.k.a. Texas Caviar)?
Cowboy Caviar, also known as “Texas caviar,” is a salsa appetizer. It’s like a Pico De Gallo salsa, but more exciting because it’s beefed up with beans, avocado, and corn.
This dip/salsa is unique because it has a vinaigrette-style dressing (we use Italian dressing to keep it super simple).
Cowboy Caviar Salsa Ingredients:
This cowboy caviar salsa is so colorful, loaded and satisfying.
- Tomatoes – Fresh tomatoes are tastiest in season, but the beauty of this salsa is it can be made all year long.
- Beans – We love home-cooked beans or canned black beans or black-eyed peas. Be sure they are rinsed and well-drained. We often interchange these two beans based on what we have on hand and either one works great.
- Corn – During the winter months, we use canned or frozen corn and in the summer months we add freshly cooked Corn on the Cob.
- Avocado – Adds an irresistible creaminess. I’ve been known to sneak in extra avocado.
- Bell Pepper – we have used red, orange, yellow, and even green bell pepper. Any kind will work.
- Jalapenos – Don’t be intimidated by the jalapeños – the Italian dressing mellows it out and even the kids love it!
- Italian Dressing – this surprising ingredient infuses every bite with incredible flavor. We love Newmans Own brand, but you can use your favorite one or Homemade Italian Dressing.
- Limes, garlic, and salt – Use fresh lime juice and garlic for the best flavor
Time-Saving Tip: we use our favorite food chopper for cutting up the tomatoes, jalapenos, avocado, onion, and bell pepper. It can cut the prep time in half.
How to Make Cowboy Caviar:
- Chop the fresh ingredients: tomatoes, avocados, onion, jalapenos, bell pepper, cilantro, and mince the garlic
- Rinse and Drain Black beans and drain corn well if using canned.
- Combine all ingredients in the mixing bowl, add Italian dressing, lemon juice, and salt. Stir to combine then enjoy.
It really is that easy. You can make it several hours ahead and leftovers are still great the next day.
How to Serve Texas Caviar:
We always serve Cowboy Caviar with tortilla chips as an appetizer but it can be served as a topping for beef tacos, burritos, nachos, or served as a salad. My husband and I often skip dinner and just make a big batch of this bean salsa in the evening.
Cowboy Caviar is a keeper of a recipe. Make this once and you will make it again and again.
More Salsa Recipes:
- Ceviche – we are obsessed with this shrimp salsa
- Pico De Gallo – with our secret for authentic flavor
- Mango Salsa with Avocado – perfect on everything
- Fresh Peach salsa – perfect as an appetizer or topping
- Roasted Tomato Salsa – we stockpile this in the freezer
Cowboy Caviar Recipe
- 6 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 bell bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 large avocado , peeled, pitted and diced
- 15 oz can corn, drained (or from 1 cooked cob of corn)
- 15 oz can black beans, well rinsed and drained (or make your own)
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, About 1/2 cup chopped
- 3-4 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup light Italian Dressing, *
- 4 medium garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
In a large mixing bowl, combine diced tomatoes, chopped onion and bell pepper, seeded and diced jalapeño, sliced avocado, drained corn, rinsed and drained black beans and chopped cilantro.
Stir in 3-4 Tbsp of lime juice, 1/2 cup of Italian dressing, 4 pressed garlic cloves and 1 tsp of salt or season to taste. Mix everything together and serve with tortilla chips.
We use either Newmans Own or Olive Garden brand light Italian dressing.