Cowboy Caviar Recipe (VIDEO)
This Cowboy Caviar salsa is wonderfully fresh, healthy, simple and loaded! We make this salsa all summer long. It makes a big batch so it is an ideal summer party dip. A surprising ingredient infuses every bite with incredible flavor. This cowboy caviar (a.k.a. Texas Caviar) always disappears fast!
Annie, my classmate from nursing school, shared this cowboy caviar recipe with me 8 years ago and it has been in the regular rotation at our house ever since. It is a keeper! Watch the video tutorial and you’ll be running to the grocery store for ingredients!
Cowboy Caviar Ingredients:
This cowboy caviar salsa is so colorful. I’ve been known to sneak in an extra avocado. Don’t be intimidated by the jalapenos – the Italian dressing mellows it out and even the kids love it!
Fresh tomatoes elevate this salsa when they are in season, but the beauty of this salsa is it can be made all-year long! During the winter months, we use canned or frozen corn and in the summer months we add freshly cooked corn on the cob.
If you want to venture out and make your own black beans, check out our tutorial on how to cook beans. We love making the full batch of beans and freezing portions in ziploc bags for various recipes.
What is Cowboy Caviar (a.k.a. Texas Caviar)?
- Texas caviar is a salsa dip which usually has beans such as black beans or black eyed peas. We often interchange these two beans based on what we have on hand and either one works great.
- This dip/salsa is unique because it has a vinaigrette-style dressing (we use Italian dressing to keep it super simple).
- We always serve this with tortilla chips as an appetizer but it can be served as a topping for tacos, burritos, or served as a salad.
How to Make Cowboy Caviar:
Step 1: Chop the ingredients
Step 2: Mix the ingredients.
It really is that easy! To make this salsa even faster, use a food chopper like this one (Amazon affiliate link). You can make it several hours ahead and leftovers are still great the next day.
Salsa Recipe Ideas to Explore:
- Shrimp Avocado Salsa – we are obsessed!
- Mango Salsa with Avocado – perfect on everything
- Fresh Peach salsa – perfect as an appetizer or topping
- Roasted Tomato Salsa – we stockpile this in the freezer
Watch How to Make Cowboy Caviar:
See Natasha make this Cowboy Caviar Recipe. I hope it becomes a new favorite appetizer for you! If you enjoy our videos, please subscribe to our cooking channel on Youtube and click the bell icon so you will be the first to know when we post a new video!
Thanks so much for subscribing. We are so excited to have nearly 270K subscribers and it’s growing unusually fast! We love hanging out with you on our Youtube Channel.
Print-Friendly Salsa Recipe:
Cowboy Caviar Recipe
- 6 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 bell bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers seeded and finely diced
- 1 large avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- 15 oz can corn drained (or from 1 cooked cob of corn)
- 15 oz can black beans well rinsed and drained (or make your own)
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro About 1/2 cup chopped
- 3-4 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup light Italian Dressing *
- 4 medium garlic cloves pressed
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
In a large mixing bowl, combine diced tomatoes, chopped onion and bell pepper, seeded and diced jalapeño, sliced avocado, drained corn, rinsed and drained black beans and chopped cilantro.
Stir in 3-4 Tbsp of lime juice, 1/2 cup of Italian dressing, 4 pressed garlic cloves and 1 tsp of salt or season to taste. Mix everything together and serve with tortilla chips.
We use either Newmans Own or Olive Garden brand light Italian dressing.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen
Have you discovered Cowboy Caviar (such a fun name for a salsa – right)? What is YOUR all-time favorite summer salsa?